Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 09:35:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 310 311 [312] 313 314 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2102265 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #10885 on: September 27, 2011, 12:06:34 PM

Yeah, it's gotten muddy with the testing and constant interviewing.

As far as I understand it right now:

AC switching is in at steeply increasing cost, until lvl 20 or so, when you're locked in. To allow people to get a feel for the AC before locking in the choice - though I imagine most core skills come later than the cutoff.

Respec within AC is in, at escalating cost.

No dual spec/multi-spec currently.

I really wish they'd follow Rift, and I feel I should mention that at least once in the thread  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?. Even though I tended to settle on a spec to fill each role, it's nice to have the variety to dial in what you feel suits you best. And within classes that multiple specs can fill the same role, it's nice to have a couple to fit the situation (ie; my cleric can have a purifier-based heal style as well as a warden style, for flexibility).
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #10886 on: September 27, 2011, 12:12:58 PM

Right, dual-spec is not in yet, it will be post-release.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #10887 on: September 27, 2011, 12:46:18 PM

I hope that it did actually quietly die in a corner. God knows it wouldn't be the first time an MMO dev decided to stubbornly hold on to some stupid issue and ended making his game worse because of it. I can think of a couple of games that improved amazingly once their old guard devs finally left.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #10888 on: September 27, 2011, 01:22:38 PM

AC switching is in at steeply increasing cost, until lvl 20 or so, when you're locked in. To allow people to get a feel for the AC before locking in the choice - though I imagine most core skills come later than the cutoff.

Respec within AC is in, at escalating cost.

No dual spec/multi-spec currently.

This is going to kill the game for me.  Even dual specs are simply no longer enough.  I have five different specs that i can switch between at will in Rift, respeccing any one of them costs about as much as you get for a single daily quest.  That is the bare minimum a new game should be shooting for.

I am the .00000001428%
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #10889 on: September 27, 2011, 01:33:08 PM

You could very accurately say that Rift innovated in its mechanics while SWTOR focused on content.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #10890 on: September 27, 2011, 01:39:34 PM

Still, it's one of those things that once you get it and see how great it works you can't do without.

I am the .00000001428%
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #10891 on: September 27, 2011, 01:45:42 PM

Worth considering is whether or not you really need any respecs or dual specs before you hit the endgame in a game that provides you a companion character that can fill any role, and how long you think it will be before you're looking at seriously consuming any endgame content.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #10892 on: September 27, 2011, 01:47:23 PM

Worth considering is whether or not you really need any respecs or dual specs before you hit the endgame in a game that provides you a companion character that can fill any role, and how long you think it will be before you're looking at seriously consuming any endgame content.
The last I heard, companions were not usable on endgame content (raids and PvP). Also, they're MMO pets. Pets can't really replace a player.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #10893 on: September 27, 2011, 01:48:21 PM

Give them enough damage and DPS players can easily be replaced by a pet.

I am the .00000001428%
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #10894 on: September 27, 2011, 01:49:14 PM

God willing.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #10895 on: September 27, 2011, 01:50:21 PM

Not if the content requires more than standing stationary and practicing your rotation.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #10896 on: September 27, 2011, 01:50:56 PM

The last I heard, companions were not usable on endgame content (raids and PvP). Also, they're MMO pets. Pets can't really replace a player.

Yes I know. You'll note I was talking entirely about *before* the endgame. If you're not to the endgame by the time they patch in dual specs, no big deal, the swap-able companion can probably cover most of your needs before then.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #10897 on: September 27, 2011, 01:51:05 PM

Not if the content requires more than standing stationary and practicing your rotation.

I can train a dog to get out of fire faster than I could train some of the people I've raided with.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #10898 on: September 27, 2011, 01:53:17 PM

Yeah running out of fire is not a terribly complicated bit of AI. Guild Wars henchmen could do it even at release when their AI was terrible.

caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #10899 on: September 27, 2011, 02:02:08 PM

This is going to kill the game for me.  Even dual specs are simply no longer enough.  I have five different specs that i can switch between at will in Rift, respeccing any one of them costs about as much as you get for a single daily quest.  That is the bare minimum a new game should be shooting for.

Saying "but Rift gives you five stored specs!" is ignoring the context of both games (Rift and SWTOR) having radically different class designs.

I don't even think there's much of a need for being able to swap in-the-field if companions turn out to be even relatively competent.  Moreover, being able to swap specs without "going back to town" seems to encourage encounter/instance design balanced around either using all/most of the specs for just that content or having a bench.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #10900 on: September 27, 2011, 02:09:12 PM

Yeah running out of fire is not a terribly complicated bit of AI. Guild Wars henchmen could do it even at release when their AI was terrible.
"Run out of the fire" is MMO-shorthand for all the weird shit modern raids make you do. This includes running out of range from other players when you have a debuff, collapsing on one person in a specific location, spreading out X yards apart like marks on a clock, tossing a hot potato back and forth, jumping on a platform and flying around, running through floating crystals the same color as a buff on your character, quickly switching targets to nuke down an add, switching targets when the boss reaches a certain percentage of health, interrupting some spells but not others, joining interrupt rotations, using survivability cooldowns to avoid raidwide damage pulses, etc. None of it is rocket science, it's mostly simple action/response, but it changes fight to fight and pet AI won't do all that crap.

I'm pretty surprised I had to explain this here.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #10901 on: September 27, 2011, 02:10:04 PM

I've actually heard nothing but the complete opposite: that there will be no dual-specs within an AC, but you can switch ACs for a rapidly increasing fee.

They already have normal respecing they just don't have "dual spec".   They also seem pretty firm on not allowing you to change your AC.   All this has been reported pretty piecemeal though.
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #10902 on: September 27, 2011, 02:11:16 PM

Right. The advanced class is like the final class in Everquest2, which was widely thought to be a great idea, remains in EQ2 to this day, and emulated by lots of other MMOs.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #10903 on: September 27, 2011, 02:18:34 PM

"Run out of the fire" is MMO-shorthand for all the weird shit modern raids make you do. This includes running out of range from other players when you have a debuff, collapsing on one person in a specific location, spreading out X yards apart like marks on a clock, tossing a hot potato back and forth, jumping on a platform and flying around, running through floating crystals the same color as a buff on your character, quickly switching targets to nuke down an add, switching targets when the boss reaches a certain percentage of health, interrupting some spells but not others, joining interrupt rotations, using survivability cooldowns to avoid raidwide damage pulses, etc. None of it is rocket science, it's mostly simple action/response, but it changes fight to fight and pet AI won't do all that crap.

I'm pretty surprised I had to explain this here.

I'm pretty surprised you think the leveling content where you're using the henchmen will have a lot of this kind of stuff.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #10904 on: September 27, 2011, 02:26:13 PM

Pretty sure Paelos meant the literal sense of "Don't stand in the fire", not the expanded stuff. From reading his WoW board posts I am pretty sure he was playing with people who it took the kindergarten teacher a week to teach how to clap their hands.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #10905 on: September 27, 2011, 02:31:14 PM

Advanced class switching is definitely in. They said it would very quickly become prohibitively expensive.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #10906 on: September 27, 2011, 02:33:33 PM

Pretty sure Paelos meant the literal sense of "Don't stand in the fire", not the expanded stuff. From reading his WoW board posts I am pretty sure he was playing with people who it took the kindergarten teacher a week to teach how to clap their hands.

No, that's me.  awesome, for real

God Save the Horn Players
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #10907 on: September 27, 2011, 02:36:40 PM

I'm pretty surprised you think the leveling content where you're using the henchmen will have a lot of this kind of stuff.

I don't know if it will, but I definitely think it should to an extent.  One of the best things I found about Cataclysm's leveling was you were often presented with relatively low-risk raid mechanics.  Break line-of-sight with the big dragon, interrupt something, don't stand in fire, side-step the mob that's charging at you, things like that.

None of it was particularly deadly but it did consistently introduce players to patterns and skills they would find useful later on.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #10908 on: September 27, 2011, 03:09:42 PM

Yeah I played with people who couldn't walk and chew gum. Nor were they willing to listen to people explain how to chew.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #10909 on: September 27, 2011, 04:58:20 PM

Bowing out of BC for the moment.  Doing this so I can have some questions answered.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #10910 on: September 27, 2011, 07:05:36 PM

Right. The advanced class is like the final class in Everquest2, which was widely thought to be a great idea, remains in EQ2 to this day, and emulated by lots of other MMOs.

Ohhhhh, I see.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #10911 on: September 27, 2011, 07:38:14 PM

Advanced classes in TOR are not like going from Fire Mage to Frost Mage spec.  It's more like going from a Priest to a Warrior or say a Rogue to a Mage.

Other than that, Dual-spec "after launch", Respecs available within your AC at increasing costs (like say WoW), and you can change your AC at increasing high costs until level 20ish.  That's the current stance on everything at least.  I don't see it changing from that.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #10912 on: September 27, 2011, 09:19:16 PM

The difference is that base to advanced happens much quicker here and is only really a way to signal that the two advanced classes share content/story.

A better comparison is base and advanced class in Daoc, which most people probably don't even remember existed.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #10913 on: September 27, 2011, 09:21:08 PM

The difference is that base to advanced happens much quicker here and is only really a way to signal that the two advanced classes share content/story.

A better comparison is base and advanced class in Daoc, which most people probably don't even remember existed.

Most people didn't play viking-base-class casters who couldn't benefit from acuity buffs because those only worked on mystics.  Shaking fist

Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #10914 on: September 27, 2011, 09:22:11 PM

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #10915 on: September 27, 2011, 11:27:03 PM

Most people didn't play viking-base-class casters who couldn't benefit from acuity buffs because those only worked on mystics.  Shaking fist

But at least you had your FREE TWOHANDED WEAPON that you never used.

God Save the Horn Players
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #10916 on: September 27, 2011, 11:40:49 PM

Re-roll Valewalker!

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #10917 on: September 28, 2011, 06:07:36 AM

Well now we're getting into NDA territory so I'll just say that the mechanic wasn't a good idea in EQ2 and I don't see any reason why it would be any better in another game.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #10918 on: September 28, 2011, 06:27:51 AM

Seriously, if it's november and the nda is still up, fuck that shit.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #10919 on: September 28, 2011, 06:44:30 AM

Is there another beta test this weekend?

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Pages: 1 ... 310 311 [312] 313 314 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: