Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 05:41:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 263 264 [265] 266 267 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2102492 times)
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #9240 on: August 17, 2011, 03:55:34 PM

Yes, and that bottom line I can't  argue with; it's just that...I don't know, maybe it's because I see the enormous potential when it comes to cross-faction guilds and cross-faction storylines (IF DONE RIGHT, of course, and that's a big "if") have, so I wish people would embrace that idea instead of artificially blocking any creative idea. But hey, maybe I need to go back to earth and notice the hell we live in, I don't know.

Forced spiting your players down the middle is mind bogglingly dumb. Especially in this game where you have this much lauded darkside/lightside system. I'm sorry to get all lore nerd here but if you pick sith but make all light side choices your not on the evil side anymore, There was even footage from comic-con of a quest where a jedi redeems a sith and later in that guys story that sith is working with the republic. so much potential wasted.

There may well be a way to switch in The Future. It's just it might be 5 years or so before they get around to it.  why so serious?

I don't give a shit one way or the other on crossfaction talking. It's sort of immersion breaking, depending on the game. It made sense in DAoC to me (hell if I know wtf the Albs are saying in their stupid language!), it makes no sense in WoW where orcs and humans talked shit to each other throughout the RTS games, can talk shit to each other when it's needed for a quest, etc. But I don't have a burning need to talk to people on the other side, and I'm perfectly content not allowing them to talk to me.

However, I have no intention of PvPing in SWTOR, so the "it doesn't make sense" would bug me more than "a 12 year old is being an asshat to me." So their compromise is fine by me. :P

God Save the Horn Players
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #9241 on: August 17, 2011, 04:07:54 PM

Best to avoid the inevitable shit talk.
Yes, because it proved horrendous in RIFT.  No, wait...

I'm guessing you guys played on PvE or RP-PvE servers?

Pvp here, shit talking is simply not a problem.

I am the .00000001428%
Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #9242 on: August 17, 2011, 04:53:00 PM

In Rift, cross faction chat is a major error, especially in battlegrounds.  I don't need the opposite faction dude saying "I'd cap this flag if your fag rogue friend wasn't here.  Fight me 1 on 1 you pussy."  That just reminds me that I'm part of a really, really bad societal demographic and I become filled with shame.

Wow even turned off same faction chat in arenas shortly after push. 

Cross faction chat is just not worth it.  I'm all for a little trash talk here and there but I don't need to endure every psycho on a  personal level.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #9243 on: August 17, 2011, 05:20:06 PM

In Rift, cross faction chat is a major error, especially in battlegrounds.  I don't need the opposite faction dude saying "I'd cap this flag if your fag rogue friend wasn't here.  Fight me 1 on 1 you pussy."  That just reminds me that I'm part of a really, really bad societal demographic and I become filled with shame.

Cross faction chat is just not worth it.  I'm all for a little trash talk here and there but I don't need to endure every psycho on a  personal level.

Does it really make any difference that it is someone on the other faction saying it? you will hear it anyways from the idiots on your team.

I am the .00000001428%
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #9244 on: August 17, 2011, 05:34:01 PM

...and yet it worked perfectly fine in City of Heroes. Sure, you get some trash-talk in PvP zones, but you should expect at least a little. Maybe because I was playing on Virtue (the unofficial RP server), the trash-talk and taunting tended to come from a character, not a cheeto-filled tween with a semi and something to prove. I know I PvP'd in character, it made up for a pretty broken experience.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #9245 on: August 17, 2011, 05:37:31 PM

Imagine RVR on our old DAOC server, but with every single 8v8er on the other realms able to send you tells after they ganked you at the MG while you were trying to catch up to the zerg.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #9246 on: August 17, 2011, 05:44:47 PM

Barrens chat squared. That's the best description I've read.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #9247 on: August 17, 2011, 06:28:18 PM

Why would I want to talk to anyone in an MMO?

You can guess if I'm being ironic or not.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #9248 on: August 17, 2011, 06:35:36 PM

Of course EA / BioWare is going to file off as many sharp edges from this game as possible. It's too big to fail, which means it needs to be as safe as possible.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #9249 on: August 17, 2011, 07:20:45 PM

Does it really make any difference that it is someone on the other faction saying it? you will hear it anyways from the idiots on your team.

No, you won't. 

For example in WoW I can't kill the idiots on my team and then laugh in their face.  I can't sap or otherwise CC them over and over while sending them tells of "I'm going to fuck you so hard your mom's going to wonder why your shitting blood when she washes your underwear.  You're my little bitch and I'm going to hear you squeal for me, fuck face." then following through.

I also can't keep sending "you're my special friend and I'm not going to leave you alone until you quit this BG" tells to the healers I designate as such.  The ones I just make miserable by constantly tossing saps and gouges and kidney shots and blinds on while then running away and stealthing to their utter frustration.  I've made players quit BGs being an asshole without talking to them. 

That level of demoralization combined with running commentary? Yeah, totally different level than your teammates crying "You all suck" "God you newbs" and "can't you fuckers fight on the flag?"

You should note that I'm also bush league when it comes to this stuff.  There's guys on this board who could put me to shame if they chose to do so.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #9250 on: August 17, 2011, 08:11:23 PM

You have issues, bro.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #9251 on: August 17, 2011, 08:11:56 PM

No, you won't. 

For example in WoW I can't kill the idiots on my team and then laugh in their face.  I can't sap or otherwise CC them over and over while sending them tells of "I'm going to fuck you so hard your mom's going to wonder why your shitting blood when she washes your underwear.  You're my little bitch and I'm going to hear you squeal for me, fuck face." then following through.

I also can't keep sending "you're my special friend and I'm not going to leave you alone until you quit this BG" tells to the healers I designate as such.  The ones I just make miserable by constantly tossing saps and gouges and kidney shots and blinds on while then running away and stealthing to their utter frustration.  I've made players quit BGs being an asshole without talking to them. 

That level of demoralization combined with running commentary? Yeah, totally different level than your teammates crying "You all suck" "God you newbs" and "can't you fuckers fight on the flag?"

You should note that I'm also bush league when it comes to this stuff.  There's guys on this board who could put me to shame if they chose to do so.

This is what ignore is for?
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #9252 on: August 17, 2011, 08:21:39 PM

No, you won't. 

And yet none of that has happened in Rift.  The people who will drive you insane are the ones in your own faction.

I am the .00000001428%
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #9253 on: August 17, 2011, 08:45:15 PM

I hope they don't do it like WoW, where I can see 'Wagb libn frood' on the screen when the other side says something.  Maybe they're saying, 'Nice fight, mate.  Thanks.', but what I imagine they're saying is 'I'm going to fuck you so hard your mom's going to wonder why your shitting blood when she washes your underwear.  You're my little bitch and I'm going to hear you squeal for me, fuck face'.

Hell, if WoW the internet is any indication, I'd just as soon they let me turn all chat off completely.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #9254 on: August 17, 2011, 10:04:26 PM

When it's your own team, it's frustration.  There seems to be that one person in every BG who has been losing all day and has to spend the whole battle telling the team how much they suck.  With the opposite side, it's reptile brain activation mode. 

In SWG I would have hour long back and forths with people I fought for 20 seconds.  In FE there was a guy who was so frothy that there were 8 of us and 1 of him taking over a town, he told us all in detail about how our daddies molested us.  Yes, there is ignore, yes, I can see that it's not personal and the person obviously has issues to work on, but I don't really need to deal with this stuff in a game.  It's much more pleasant and practical to emote at each other and not understand what is being typed. 

At the end of the day, this is SWTOR:  family fun for the masses.  As such it's gonna need precautions in this area just like WOW.  Maybe the smaller/more innovative MMOs will better facilitate cross faction chat.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #9255 on: August 17, 2011, 11:03:23 PM

I must be an outlier.  I never feel I have the time nor inclination to even LOOK at the general chat tab.  In any game of decent size, it just seems that thing is going 300 mph all the time.  If someone sends me a /tell with some shit talk, I would usually take the high road and start an actual conversation with them, which more often than not ended on a positive note.  I had at least few people on my "friends" list that started off as nasty smack talkers.  They're usually pretty easy to disarm, so long as you don't stoop to their level.

WoW is probably a different matter. 

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #9256 on: August 17, 2011, 11:06:42 PM

If someone sends me a /tell with some shit talk, I would usually take the high road and start an actual conversation with them, which more often than not ended on a positive note.  I had at least few people on my "friends" list that started off as nasty smack talkers.  They're usually pretty easy to disarm, so long as you don't stoop to their level.

Yah, you're completely full of crap, buddy.  I believed that for a hair longer than OJ's innocence.

-Rasix
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #9257 on: August 17, 2011, 11:08:23 PM

If someone, for some reason, sent me a nasty tell, I would ignore it. Not necessarily /ignore, just ... not even acknowledge it. The (few) times it's happened to me, that pretty much ended it right there. General and trade chat is/was a cesspool, so I turn those off, but that has nothing to do with cross faction chat. I am far more likely to be irked by the general stupidity of my own team (since if we're doing a dungeon or whatever together, I probably need to hear what they have to say, no matter how irritating or abusive) than a dude on the other team telling me he fucked my mom last night that I can ignore immediately and never trouble my thoughts about again.

Not really saying there aren't assholes on the internet, but by and large, it just ... isn't a big deal.

God Save the Horn Players
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #9258 on: August 17, 2011, 11:31:25 PM

If someone sends me a /tell with some shit talk, I would usually take the high road and start an actual conversation with them, which more often than not ended on a positive note.  I had at least few people on my "friends" list that started off as nasty smack talkers.  They're usually pretty easy to disarm, so long as you don't stoop to their level.

Yah, you're completely full of crap, buddy.  I believed that for a hair longer than OJ's innocence.

Believe what you want, dude.  If you poke through someone's protective internet bubble, they start acting differently.  Most people getting "griefed" in this way have probably earned it somehow, probably by being griefers themselves.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #9259 on: August 17, 2011, 11:43:54 PM

I hope they don't do it like WoW, where I can see 'Wagb libn frood' on the screen when the other side says something.  Maybe they're saying, 'Nice fight, mate.  Thanks.', but what I imagine they're saying is 'I'm going to fuck you so hard your mom's going to wonder why your shitting blood when she washes your underwear.  You're my little bitch and I'm going to hear you squeal for me, fuck face'.

KEK.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #9260 on: August 18, 2011, 03:43:28 AM

Whenever someone would shit talk me, say in Planetside where it happened a lot for me... I'd just tab over and pick a random bible Psalm and /reply with that.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #9261 on: August 18, 2011, 04:16:53 AM

Whenever someone would shit talk me, say in Planetside where it happened a lot for me... I'd just tab over and pick a random bible Psalm and /reply with that.

"Psalm 139 - O Lord thowwwwwwsssaaadddddda1111111222dddd"
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #9262 on: August 18, 2011, 04:51:14 AM

You have issues, bro.

I'm an angry, bitter man.   why so serious?

Or I PVP a lot in WOW and see enough /spit /laugh and /wave spam.  Combined with my knowledge of the days prior to emotes being scrambled as well I know what people are saying.

As for Rift.  Different audience, smaller userbase.  As discussed in countless UO threads over the decade, it only takes a small % to make life miserable.  The bigger your userbase the greater the # of that type of player there are, regardless of how big that % is or isn't.

It could also be that Treyarch is faster with the banstick than Blizzard is.  That's always been one of their failings - as anyone who recognizes trolls from /trade don't get their accounts cancelled can attest to.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 04:58:05 AM by Merusk »

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #9263 on: August 18, 2011, 06:36:34 AM

The worst cross-faction conversational experience I ever had in CoX wasn't even trash-talk. I was playing a Ninjutsu/Ninjutsu Stalker and got engaged in a one-on-one fight with a Broadsword/Regen Scrapper; the fight was epic, neither of us could quite kill the other, dancing around trying to eek out some sort of advantage over the other. Suddenly, she just stops fighting and starts sending me a series of tells about how awful a person I am and that I'm willfully wasting her time and that she's going to report me for griefing her and that I've ruined her day. I simply reply with 'I'm sorry, I thought we were actually having a rather cool fight' to which I got a 'fuck you, asshole' and she logged in front of me.

I wondered at that point if I was the one being griefed...

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #9264 on: August 18, 2011, 06:52:57 AM

What's wrong with a little shit talking?  You guys need to sack up.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #9265 on: August 18, 2011, 06:54:12 AM

WTF is SWTOR at Gamescom: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebUMuuS1AZs&feature=feedu

I know you guys don't love TB, but it is 25 minutes solid of actual gameplay.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #9266 on: August 18, 2011, 07:07:50 AM

That looks horrible.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #9267 on: August 18, 2011, 07:08:22 AM

That looks horrible.

Yeah, it really does.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #9268 on: August 18, 2011, 07:14:42 AM

Looks like a typical MMO to me... not sure what movie cgi type graphics you all were expecting.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #9269 on: August 18, 2011, 07:27:03 AM

Looks like a typical MMO to me... not sure what movie cgi type graphics you all were expecting.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Its not the graphics I was commenting on so much as the gameplay. Which, I guess also looks like a typical MMO, but I'm going to be honest, I've seen little hints that it might have more interesting gameplay and/or combat.  In the end, it just looks right BORING.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #9270 on: August 18, 2011, 07:31:02 AM

Looks like just what I expected. I'm going to play it for the story. I am also not sure what you guys were expecting. This game is the same thing we have played for years now with a coat of paint and voice-over and branching dialog, thats about it.

This is another title that should have been action based.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 07:32:44 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #9271 on: August 18, 2011, 07:34:12 AM

If you were expecting different gameplay that what was showed, you've all had your heads up your asses.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #9272 on: August 18, 2011, 07:37:11 AM

This is another title that should have been action based.

When I heard there wasn't going to be auto attack I had hope it might bend a little more towards this sort of combat.  Not action oriented per se, but at least a bit quicker paced and interesting.  It doesn't seem to have panned out that way.  The more real gameplay videos start to trickle out, the more painfully obvious it becomes.

I had myself convinced for a while that the story would be enough for me too, just because I like Star Wars, if the game mechanics didn't pan out, but frankly, I just look at that game and I can't see myself paying money for it.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #9273 on: August 18, 2011, 07:52:32 AM

When I heard no auto attack, I thought it would be jamming your 1 key over and over to fill time, just like CoX. I was right.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #9274 on: August 18, 2011, 07:58:34 AM

Psst.

Malakili, you don't like mmo.
Pages: 1 ... 263 264 [265] 266 267 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: