Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 09:41:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2102270 times)
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #6510 on: June 03, 2011, 08:17:02 AM

EA wants to try that whole "Steam" thing again.

This is, what, their 3rd or 4th attempt at launching a download on-demand shop?  And they're locking out Steam, GOG, Direct2Drive and others?   And trying to turn it into a Facebook for games of their own?  swamp poop

As long as it acts more like Steam/battle.net and less like their currently assy offering they have now, I can live with it.  I just want to be able to download the game whenever.

-Rasix
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #6511 on: June 03, 2011, 09:24:49 AM

As I side/related note, GOG have just made a deal with EA to release their back catalogue: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtQCUMUnVpg

No idea what this might mean in terms of an EA delivery publishing servisisimical device if anything.

I've never bought anything from GOG before...I attempted to last night after seeing DK up for sale, and found that because they're based in Europe, my bank credit card is being declined.

I tried to add my card to PayPal, but my bank refuses to authenticate based on addresses.  I tried to use my direct bank account info to make the purchase via PayPal, but GOG refused to accept that, they want direct cash via a credit card.

So, yeah, frack GOG.  If it's not on Steam, its not worth my time.  Since I obviously cannot win, I resolved to just getting KeeperFX.

Let's move on.

As part of their weekly Friday updates, a new Advanced Classes page is up, complete with skill/talent previews.

MMORPG.com also did a piece on detailing some more Advanced Class abilities.

Also, they're making a big todo about their E3 coverage.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #6512 on: June 03, 2011, 09:38:37 AM

Stuff

Show us on the doll where the game download service touched you.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #6513 on: June 03, 2011, 09:41:37 AM

Show us on the doll where the game download service touched you.

my what do we have here?

I ran into this problem too when I had a PS3...they wouldn't take my card on PSN due to the address verification thing.

I guess the jokes on them, eh?

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #6514 on: June 03, 2011, 10:04:10 AM

EA's download service was shit when Hellgate: London launched. So bad in fact, that I've not bothered to try it again.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #6515 on: June 03, 2011, 10:46:11 AM

Isn't EA the one that like to limit your download ability to one year after you buy?

F'that.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #6516 on: June 03, 2011, 10:51:17 AM

Isn't EA the one that like to limit your download ability to one year after you buy?

F'that.
I'm still trying to verify if that 'feature' is still in Origin.  From what I'm finding, it might actually be something they've gotten over.  Additionally, any EA game that you have a disc and valid Product key code can be punched in and bound to your account for (presumably) downloading and socializing with the game.  It feature Facebook, PSN and XBL integration.

But yes, I think we can all agree that 'download insurance' is about as retarded as retarded can get.

EDIT: FOUND IT.  http://support.ea.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2085/

Every time the download button is clicked, a download count will be added to your lifetime total. If you have installed your game via Origin on more than three computers within a ten day period, you will need to wait until the first installation expires.

Note: Re-installing your operating system, or interrupting a current download, will count as a new computer installation.

If you have reached your download limit, click Contact Us and include your account name, the title of the file or game you are downloading, and a brief description of the issue.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 11:03:54 AM by luckton »

Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #6517 on: June 03, 2011, 10:53:47 AM

I would imagine they will be doing the now standard pre-order and get a head start key so I'll just buy the box and have it downloaded before launch anyways.  I'm not going to go through the bother of obtaining and then maintaining an account on a site which would only allow me to buy EA games.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #6518 on: June 03, 2011, 11:04:29 AM

For TOR, wouldn't it just be a download of the patcher exe? Don't pretty much all MMO devs allow free distro of the patcher, since it's all account-based with the actual content downloading only after you've authenticated? Barring Funcom, I found out with AoC, they front-load everything before you get to the login screen because they put it inside the actual game app.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #6519 on: June 03, 2011, 11:13:16 AM

For TOR, wouldn't it just be a download of the patcher exe? Don't pretty much all MMO devs allow free distro of the patcher, since it's all account-based with the actual content downloading only after you've authenticated? Barring Funcom, I found out with AoC, they front-load everything before you get to the login screen because they put it inside the actual game app.

The Origin FAQ is stating that any game purchased via Origin must have Origin installed and running in order for the game to run.  While I get what you're saying and understand fully how MMO patchers work, I wouldn't put it past EA Corporate schmucks to tell the devs that they'll have to integrate their patcher with Origin.

And if that's the case...is the SW license strong enough for people to overcome EA's shenanigans?

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #6520 on: June 03, 2011, 11:48:29 AM

And if that's the case...is the SW license strong enough for people to overcome EA's shenanigans?

Magic 8-Ball says, "Signs point to no."

Steam?  This was a pre-order no brainer.

Now?  Meh, I'll wait and see if I have to use Origin to launch SWTOR.  If not I'll order off Amazon or pre-order from Gamestop where I have credit I need to use up.  If you do have to use Origin I'll wait until well after launch to get past the inevitable fuckery and see what the verdict is.

And yes, I got fucked completely for my pre-order shit with Dragon Age so they have to prove themselves not retarded first.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #6521 on: June 03, 2011, 11:50:00 AM

I think DA is where they garnered my displeasure, as well.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #6522 on: June 03, 2011, 11:50:31 AM

Yeah this suddenly sent up red flags everywhere for me too. The EA Downloader is a complete piece of shit (having seen Sjofn deal with it for Sims stuff) no reason to think Origin will be any better.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #6523 on: June 03, 2011, 11:57:21 AM

Dragon Age left me scratching my head when I had to make an account with them, but I got over it fast.

The scary part is they still haven't updated their terms of sale from March 2nd, 2010 when they included the 1 year download limit. Until that changes, I'm not going to bother with them.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #6524 on: June 03, 2011, 12:06:58 PM

I've got a bad feeling about this.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #6525 on: June 03, 2011, 12:08:17 PM

Oh Christ...http://launch.swtor.com is down, redirecting people to the main site.  It was the main portal logon for beta peoples to use to play the game.

Tin foil hats, people!  TIN FUCKING-FOIL HATS!

caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #6526 on: June 03, 2011, 09:26:43 PM

Yeah this suddenly sent up red flags everywhere for me too. The EA Downloader is a complete piece of shit (having seen Sjofn deal with it for Sims stuff) no reason to think Origin will be any better.

Really?  The EA Download Manager used to be awful a few years ago but I tried again recently when they had a really steep discount on BFBC2 for PAX (I think) and it's been well behaved.  I don't even have to launch it to before I play games, it's just a downloader/installer with a store (though you can just use the EA site instead if you want) and a download link for manuals from my experience with it.

Now, the current Sims Launcher (3 and Medieval use the same one) is an affront to basic decency.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #6527 on: June 04, 2011, 05:26:39 AM

Apparently they're going to show off a raid called "The Eternity Vault" at E3, so I guess we'll finally be getting some raid details in a few days.
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #6528 on: June 04, 2011, 06:28:17 AM

I've got a bad feeling about this.

Fantastic!
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #6529 on: June 04, 2011, 06:31:52 AM

Trailer of TOR at E3 2011 (via Gamespot):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElZH_Lwuu68

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #6530 on: June 04, 2011, 07:20:53 AM

Dancing emotes confirmed.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #6531 on: June 04, 2011, 07:29:15 AM

Other than some nice looking backgrounds I didn't really like that video, seemed very, cheesy.  Especially the smuggler/bounty hunter line...
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #6532 on: June 04, 2011, 08:34:28 AM

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #6533 on: June 04, 2011, 02:24:35 PM

Companion characters!

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #6534 on: June 04, 2011, 06:28:19 PM

I have to say I expect this to do a lot better than I thought it would a while ago. It looks like they are really going to luck out with the timing, coming out as WoW withers away and before the next Blizzard MMO is released.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #6535 on: June 04, 2011, 07:50:46 PM

Other than some nice looking backgrounds I didn't really like that video, seemed very, cheesy.  Especially the smuggler/bounty hunter line...

Everything in it looks like they took WoW and jampacked a SWTOR personal questing experience into it. It's really nothing to be discouraged by.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #6536 on: June 04, 2011, 08:28:52 PM

I have to say I expect this to do a lot better than I thought it would a while ago. It looks like they are really going to luck out with the timing, coming out as WoW withers away and before the next Blizzard MMO is released.
If the powers that be at Blizzard don't deliver a major shakeup to the WoW team and make them put out a "make Cataclysm not for spergy fuckwads" patch in time for SWTOR's release, I kinda agree. Is Diablo 3 or the next Starcraft expansion due at the same time? I can't remember release dates anymore.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #6537 on: June 04, 2011, 08:56:48 PM

They haven't announced dates for either, have they?  I thought D3 wasn't until next year and wasn't in beta yet.  SC2 might be this year, considering they jsut did the trailer for it.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #6538 on: June 04, 2011, 09:07:43 PM

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #6539 on: June 04, 2011, 09:33:34 PM

Heart of the Swarm 2013? Wat?  That seems like a damn long time.  Was the Terran Campaign as long as their previous RTS games for all factions or something?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #6540 on: June 04, 2011, 10:27:55 PM

Heart of the Swarm 2013? Wat?  That seems like a damn long time.  Was the Terran Campaign as long as their previous RTS games for all factions or something?

Yes. It has 29 missions, Brood War had 28, original SC had 30.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #6541 on: June 04, 2011, 10:28:38 PM

Heart of the Swarm 2013? Wat?  That seems like a damn long time.  Was the Terran Campaign as long as their previous RTS games for all factions or something?

From the reviews I read last year, the first SC II installment had the same number of missions as were in all 3 campaigns combined in the original Starcraft.

EDIT: DAMN YOU INGMAR!

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #6542 on: June 04, 2011, 11:36:42 PM

You will have noticed, then, how I still go to the store to buy Sims stuff now. It is seriously the only time I do this any more. That's how much I hated their downloader bullshit when I used it a couple of times in the Sims 2. I still have to use it to patch, but that's not as obnoxious and shitty.

God Save the Horn Players
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #6543 on: June 05, 2011, 05:14:55 AM

Yeah, that seems like a long time even given that though.  They've said already HotS is going to be 20 missions long and priced like an expansion, it seems like a 2012 release would be possible, but what do I know.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #6544 on: June 05, 2011, 05:33:52 AM

No way on 2013 for HotS.  I'm actually sticking with the leaked product slate and going for a very late 2011 release, just in time for Christmas break zerg rushes.  The slate also talks about a Starcraft 2 project called 'Phoenix', to release at the same time.

Enough of that though.  Focus people!  We get to find out about the end-game this week  DRILLING AND MANLINESS  Trailer was a pretty solid montage of stuff.  If you really want to dig deep, Hater's got a dissection of the thing going on.

Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: