Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 05:38:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2102490 times)
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #6440 on: May 31, 2011, 12:28:06 PM

Well, in that same link you gave us earlier they specifically say that TOR isn't designed to appeal to the hardcore. The hardcore guys are the ones all worried about not being able to bypass quest text and voice overs in case it slows down their access to end game raiding.

The prospect of not playing with those people is something I'm somehow able to bear up under.

Agreed, yet another reason why this game appeals to me more and more. 

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #6441 on: May 31, 2011, 01:29:09 PM

Pffft, they'll be there, and they will piss in your cheerios.

I hate to break it to you, but if this game includes grouping together in a large manner to defeat bosses, there will be a place for a bunch of knobs who think it's their god-given duty to rape it the fastest,  declare it boring, and furiously spew per-second calculations while declaring your build obsolete!

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #6442 on: May 31, 2011, 01:39:14 PM

Well of course the game will be filled with douchebags. It's still a MMOG so there's no avoiding that.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #6443 on: May 31, 2011, 01:53:14 PM

Hopefully we can keep enough people in BC to do regular casual raiding.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #6444 on: May 31, 2011, 01:56:00 PM

Hopefully we can keep enough people in BC to do regular casual raiding.

One could assume that if dungeons are getting capped at 4 players, the raid content wouldn't be more than, say, 12-16?  And if you could still fill those slots with companions, this might just make WoW 10-mans look like classic 40-man MC runs.

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #6445 on: May 31, 2011, 02:50:58 PM

Seems like kind of stupid thing to get into a lather over.

Perhaps for the common man.  The 2% hardcore crowd though, this is pretty devastating, as weapon swapping on-the-fly is one of many min-max tactics used to try and 'sploit encounters and squeeze out every last drop of potential DPS. 

It's also clunky and really not interesting gameplay.

Matching your weapon to a PvE encounter can still happen unless every dungeon is some sort of weird gauntlet that has you stuck in combat from the beginning.  (And unless they go nuts with +Damage to X modifiers, not a terribly useful thing to be able to do anyway.)

This is much more of a PvP thing, but even then, if they're saying "It's pretty much impossible to not have a weapon equipped. You'd have to work for that." then that rules out ever having to swap to or from a gathering "weapon".  That leaves many +Damage to X modifiers which are stupid in their own right and maybe some small gain from not needing to be in your paranoid set the whole time because you could have swapped to it in-combat.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #6446 on: May 31, 2011, 05:16:49 PM

I very rarely switch weapons in combat, but it's still a stupid design decision.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #6447 on: May 31, 2011, 08:20:46 PM

The only game I ever felt weapon swapping was useful, was DaoC.

Mostly due to how you could pre-load weapons with poisons (not just rogues, anyone could have a rogue load up their weapon for you) or be able to swap from 1h to 2h pretty painlessly on some classes. Really, it was a Shield to 2h swap, not a 1h to 2h thing.

WoW warriors do the shield/2h swap thing too, but only out of pre-reqs for shield wall and shit. I'm not sure if WoW rogues do poison swapping/weapons often anymore. I think it was popular for awhile, then it got macroed into retardedness where the rogues were swapping every other attack or something... then Blizzard broke that somehow.

Either way, this is extremely low on my "game ROOINED/SAVED  ACK! Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? ACK! Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?" scale.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #6448 on: May 31, 2011, 08:22:43 PM

It became a necessity to do it on rogues to max dps.  Blizzard broke it by implementing a 1 sec GCD if you swapped weapons in combat, meaning you completely fucked your rotation because that 2 seconds was huge.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #6449 on: May 31, 2011, 08:26:53 PM

Mostly due to how you could pre-load weapons with poisons (not just rogues, anyone could have a rogue load up their weapon for you) or be able to swap from 1h to 2h pretty painlessly on some classes. Really, it was a Shield to 2h swap, not a 1h to 2h thing.

WoW warriors do the shield/2h swap thing too, but only out of pre-reqs for shield wall and shit. I'm not sure if WoW rogues do poison swapping/weapons often anymore. I think it was popular for awhile, then it got macroed into retardedness where the rogues were swapping every other attack or something... then Blizzard broke that somehow.

Either way, this is extremely low on my "game ROOINED/SAVED  ACK! Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? ACK! Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?" scale.

Yeah, Blizzard broke it for rogues in WoW so it isn't viable anymore.
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #6450 on: May 31, 2011, 08:42:48 PM

Its obnoxious, stupid, trivial and short-sighted. Nothing to do with the "hard core", just common usability. I'm playing Rift at the moment as a tankesque class and have on occasion found it necessary to switch from my usual two-hander to a sword & board if I find a boss/elite hits particularly hard.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #6451 on: May 31, 2011, 09:55:07 PM

It fits within the framework of the game, I suppose.  I mean, if you look at the advanced classes on the holonet, once you make an Advanced Class decision, it seems that it locks you into one weapon.  I really can't see any reason to angsty about it until more info comes out or play the game.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #6452 on: June 01, 2011, 12:33:39 AM

It depends entirely upon how the game plays. In UO I routinely carry half a dozen weapons around with another dozen stored in the bank. In WoW I never own more than one weapon at a time.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #6453 on: June 01, 2011, 05:13:20 AM

Its obnoxious, stupid, trivial and short-sighted. Nothing to do with the "hard core", just common usability. I'm playing Rift at the moment as a tankesque class and have on occasion found it necessary to switch from my usual two-hander to a sword & board if I find a boss/elite hits particularly hard.

Yeah, it's totally necessary for equipping your sword and board.  Wait?  What?

Nice straw man.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Reply #6454 on: June 01, 2011, 05:27:05 AM

Yeah, it's totally necessary for equipping your sword and board.  Wait?  What?

Nice straw man.

Nice face.

Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #6455 on: June 01, 2011, 05:56:15 AM

/equip Barman Shanker
/cast Ambush
/equip Dal'Rend's Sacred Charge
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #6456 on: June 01, 2011, 06:08:18 AM

Nice face.

Aww, he got his feelings hurt when I pointed out his argument made no sense.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #6457 on: June 01, 2011, 06:16:32 AM

Well this game sucks.  No one buy it.  You can't switch weapons in combat.  Bitches.
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Reply #6458 on: June 01, 2011, 06:38:28 AM

Nice face.

Aww, he got his feelings hurt when I pointed out his argument made no sense.

Keep fighting the good fight.

mod edit: Yah. No.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 08:40:20 AM by Rasix »

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #6459 on: June 01, 2011, 07:27:11 AM

Look at how much you care. It's really that important to you that you can equip to/from a sword and shield in the middle of combat?  In a game that purports not to need or want that kind of micromanagement?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 07:29:17 AM by Murgos »

Outlawedprod
Terracotta Army

Reply #6460 on: June 01, 2011, 07:30:39 AM

/equip Barman Shanker
/cast Ambush
/equip Dal'Rend's Sacred Charge

Trying to remember the old bug to backstab/ambush with swords.  Was the delay in the weapon type check or the damage range check. I forget if you started with dagger or sword.  Nonetheless it was good times while that bug lasted.
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Reply #6461 on: June 01, 2011, 07:47:25 AM

Look at how much you care. It's really that important to you that you can equip to/from a sword and shield in the middle of combat?  In a game that purports not to need or want that kind of micromanagement?

Yea, but why are you mad though?

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #6462 on: June 01, 2011, 08:18:57 AM

?  I'm not the one making personal attacks.

Megrim
Terracotta Army

Reply #6463 on: June 01, 2011, 08:25:28 AM

?  I'm not the one making personal attacks.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #6464 on: June 01, 2011, 08:26:31 AM

?  I'm not the one making personal attacks.

Seems like kind of stupid thing to get into a lather over.

Ohhhhh, I see.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #6465 on: June 01, 2011, 08:41:51 AM

Behave.  Or I'll turn the car around.  I don't care if we're halfway to Disneyland.

-Rasix
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #6466 on: June 01, 2011, 09:16:32 AM

Well this game sucks.  No one buy it.  You can't switch weapons in combat.  Bitches.

I DONT NEED TO SWITCH WEAPONS ILL HAVE DUAL LIGHTSABERS BEATCH!!
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Reply #6467 on: June 01, 2011, 09:26:44 AM

Behave.  Or I'll turn the car around.  I don't care if we're halfway to Disneyland.

Oh come on, they were about to start writing long argumentative posts about how I was launching "ad hominem" attacks.

* edit:

It fits within the framework of the game, I suppose.  I mean, if you look at the advanced classes on the holonet, once you make an Advanced Class decision, it seems that it locks you into one weapon.  I really can't see any reason to angsty about it until more info comes out or play the game.

To be a little more on topic - it becomes an issue of overall game perception. Why not leave such a trivial little thing in the game? It's like when they announced, what was it, no swimming? Ok, trivial complaint on the whole, but if you're going to voice-act the whole game and sink so much production value into it, it seems really, bizzare, to then leave out something which is actually featured in the movies.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 09:37:28 AM by Megrim »

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #6468 on: June 01, 2011, 09:45:53 AM

To be a little more on topic - it becomes an issue of overall game perception. Why not leave such a trivial little thing in the game? It's like when they announced, what was it, no swimming? Ok, trivial complaint on the whole, but if you're going to voice-act the whole game and sink so much production value into it, it seems really, bizzare, to then leave out something which is actually featured in the movies.

*redacted*
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 09:54:31 AM by luckton »

Megrim
Terracotta Army

Reply #6469 on: June 01, 2011, 09:47:53 AM

Remind me again when Obi-Wan whips out his blaster mid-fight with Vader on the Death Star and pistol-whips him?  swamp poop

You're fucking thick, aren't you?

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #6470 on: June 01, 2011, 09:53:51 AM

*said something stupid*

You're fucking thick, aren't you?

Yup.  Mea culpa.

TBH, would you really miss swimming?

Megrim
Terracotta Army

Reply #6471 on: June 01, 2011, 10:02:55 AM

Facepalm

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #6472 on: June 01, 2011, 10:06:44 AM

U mad bro?

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #6473 on: June 01, 2011, 10:11:17 AM

Facepalm
why so serious?

Seriously, they swam in, what, episode 1?  For all of 2 minutes?  This is what you want?

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #6474 on: June 01, 2011, 11:15:29 AM

I'm going to be mad when I can't equip my Star Wars sword and shield.

SHIELDS UP!

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: