Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 03:35:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2102065 times)
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #5950 on: April 28, 2011, 08:21:55 AM

Best comment from that article:

Just as long as he doesn’t touch any thing. Maybe the new job just lets him sit in a dark room watching flashing lights.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #5951 on: April 28, 2011, 08:30:41 AM

Best comment I saw was on a trackback to the FoH forums:

Well hey, if they ever have to shut down servers by the dozens, they're in great hands
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #5952 on: April 28, 2011, 09:35:36 AM

I liked DAoC a lot.  I also enjoyed the first 20 levels of WAR a lot.  If Hickman could apply the good from those games to swtor, I'd be a very happy customer.

Edit: I realize that I am not the norm here.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #5953 on: April 28, 2011, 11:14:16 AM

I do my goddamndest to hold out hope for the franchise, and this takes that little optimistic part of my nerdery and makes it want to curl up in a corner, die, and ascend to join the haters.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #5954 on: April 28, 2011, 11:21:07 AM

Should be good for at least another couple pages of haterade.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #5955 on: April 28, 2011, 11:30:08 AM

I liked DAoC a lot.  I also enjoyed the first 20 levels of WAR a lot.  If Hickman could apply the good from those games to swtor, I'd be a very happy customer.

I think  a lot of people liked DAOC and the first 20 levels of WAR, unfortunately, I don't see how the best parts of those experiences are going to be present in SWTOR regardless of who is leading the project.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #5956 on: April 28, 2011, 11:54:06 AM

I think  a lot of people liked DAOC and the first 20 levels of WAR, unfortunately, I don't see how the best parts of those experiences are going to be present in SWTOR regardless of who is leading the project.

You're probably right.   

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #5957 on: April 28, 2011, 11:58:14 AM

At least it isn't Paul Barnett?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Arrrgh
Terracotta Army

Reply #5958 on: April 28, 2011, 12:05:19 PM

The low level BG in WAR was great. All games should copy the make a character, enter world, queue for BG, and start killing elves part of WAR.

Hopefully one of the SWTOR races is vaguely elven.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #5959 on: April 28, 2011, 12:28:50 PM

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/reviews/2011/04/together-we-work-alone-two-days-with-star-wars-the-old-republic.ars

It's lunchtime during the first of two Star Wars: The Old Republic immersion days at the EA Redwood Shores campus, and the game designers leading the event are panicking: everyone is talking about Portal 2. Instead of discussing the three exclusive hours of SWTOR we just played, most of the writers are chatting about yesterday's Portal 2 release and single-player campaign, which everyone feels pales in comparison to its co-op.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #5960 on: April 28, 2011, 12:37:56 PM

Why would you quote that bit when the entire rest of the 3 page article is positive?  Ohhhhh, I see.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #5961 on: April 28, 2011, 01:32:50 PM

Obviously game devs are not allowed to talk about other games or even acknowledge their existence.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #5962 on: April 28, 2011, 01:49:00 PM

However, if BioWare is relying more heavily on what comes before endgame content in their own game, rather than takeoffs of standard endgame content, it stands to be some impressive stuff. Even if the endgame content is mindblowing, the designers hope that the story along the way will stave off "the mentality of racing to the top," Erickson said.

You should of quoted this in stead.
 roflcopter

Hey guys!  Levels and experience and the badass skills are at the top!  Don't race!!
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #5963 on: April 28, 2011, 01:56:15 PM

Quote from: Draegan

Ohhhhh, I see.

MMO players are a bunch of fucking retards, of course they'll race to the top in a game where it's about the journey. Won't make it any less of an enjoyable journey for the rest of us.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #5964 on: April 28, 2011, 02:13:11 PM

Why would you quote that bit when the entire rest of the 3 page article is positive?  Ohhhhh, I see.
Because I found it amusing!
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #5965 on: April 28, 2011, 02:21:51 PM

Well folks, that'll do it for me. I want to thank Bioware for letting us all know where they want this game to well before it even released. Don't forget to turn off the lights on the way out. Tip your waitress!

Bioware AUSTIN.  why so serious?

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #5966 on: April 28, 2011, 02:46:33 PM

No worries.  He's been consulting since the merger.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #5967 on: April 28, 2011, 05:04:12 PM

They mention "launch this year". Have they confirmed a Q4 2011 calendar year launch? Their feature hacking (and the article) imply it which would be good. But while adding content and more levels of stories after launch is easy, adding multi-spec'ing or other fundamental things that require massive rebalancing, not so much.

A very minor downside to the tight storyline each class follows is that play will still be very linear, compared to other MMOs like WoW
Err, wuh? They've played WoW right? Maybe they forget the pre-60 game before BC launched?

Their comments on Companions were interesting though. Being able to send them off on missions of scaling durations sorta reminds me of crafting systems where you dump resources and wait X time for the output or, of course, Eve's skills system. It's an interesting way to have an offline experience that still feels like it's progressing.

Has that really ever happened in any MMO featuring VO work?  Most complaints surrounding voice overs in MMOs stem from when they abruptly halt.

It's a Bioware game (theoretically), there will likely be a button to skip past any spoken line, if you so choose.

That won't help the people in my group as they stare at the "...waiting for Ingmar to press skip" button.  awesome, for real
It times out. Players have a set period of time to log their responses, whether they are in the same room as the lead conversor (itself determine by loot roll) or via hologram/remote.

That of course totally changes your mind about the game right? ;)
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #5968 on: April 28, 2011, 05:20:13 PM

Well I was more thinking during actual cut scenes, not dialogue. Think Guild Wars cut scenes: "7 members of your party wish to skip this cinematic".  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #5969 on: April 28, 2011, 07:30:10 PM

However, if BioWare is relying more heavily on what comes before endgame content in their own game, rather than takeoffs of standard endgame content, it stands to be some impressive stuff. Even if the endgame content is mindblowing, the designers hope that the story along the way will stave off "the mentality of racing to the top," Erickson said.

roflcopter

Hey guys!  Levels and experience and the badass skills are at the top!  Don't race!!

BioWare's own stats indicate that 50% of players who started Mass Effect 2 didn't finish it. Story doesn't drive everyone.

As for the Ars Technica article: 1) if a MMO isn't fun in the first 10 hours, it is screwed anyway, but the key issue is if players want to keep playing after the first 30 days, not the first 2, and 2) I'm going to be shocked if SWOR launches this year. They might do it by skimping on large-scale player testing, but I think that will end up biting them in the arse.

Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #5970 on: April 28, 2011, 07:54:28 PM

Ohhhhh, I see.

MMO players are a bunch of fucking retards, of course they'll race to the top in a game where it's about the journey. Won't make it any less of an enjoyable journey for the rest of us.

Here's a radical idea. Why have levels at all? If the story is why people are going to be playing the game, then just make it about the damn story.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #5971 on: April 28, 2011, 08:08:31 PM

They're ability gates, nothing more. You could go with "finish quest we couldn't let you do with X and Y prerequsite quest so you can unlock ability/choice we want you to have at this moment in the game", which is what many RPGs do anyway. But it's "level" by another name.

Levels are not to blame. It's when grinding is the more efficient path than questing that is. Or when "questing" is just grinding with contextually-generated flavor text :)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #5972 on: April 28, 2011, 08:42:09 PM

Luke's first quest was killing ten womp rats.

I hear they aren't much bigger than two meters.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #5973 on: April 28, 2011, 09:09:58 PM

They clarified on the boards that Jeff Hickman is Executive Producer of LIVE SERVICES. Basically he's the customer service honcho.
Originally Posted by StephenReid
I'd like to address a few of the misconceptions in this thread.

Jeff Hickman’s role as Executive Producer, Live Services, does not put him in charge of BioWare Austin, or the development of Star Wars: The Old Republic. The job description quoted in this thread is not for Jeff’s position. He is ultimately in charge of all teams that interact and interface with customers in the live game. That does not include, at any point, direct decisions about the game’s development itself. Game development is still ultimately handled by Rich Vogel’s team, with James Ohlen as Lead Designer.

BioWare Austin is made up of a huge and diverse mix of development staff, from all across the games industry. We’re proud of just how many MMO veterans we have on staff; many senior developers here have shipped multiple MMOs, which is a rarity. That collective experience is going to help us ensure that The Old Republic boasts a level of service that’s up to the standard you expect from Star Wars and BioWare

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #5974 on: April 28, 2011, 11:45:32 PM

Phew!

EDIT: Wait, does that mean support response times will be measured in Mythic seconds?

Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #5975 on: April 29, 2011, 12:53:17 AM

I'm crossing my fingers he will end up on this project. I can't wait for some photo to surface of him dressed in a Boba Fett helmet with sunglasses over the visor, with two chicks behind him in some sort of  storm trooper themed bikini.

But then, I'm not a  Star Wars fan.

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
Spiff
Terracotta Army

Reply #5976 on: April 29, 2011, 01:19:41 AM

I'm going to be shocked if SWOR launches this year. They might do it by skimping on large-scale player testing, but I think that will end up biting them in the arse.

I'll throw down the gauntlet and say I'd be very surprised if it didn't launch before the year's over.
I don't expect to see a testing phase the size and length of Rift for instance and yeah it'll probably bite them in the arse (as far as retention goes anyway).
This thing simply can't continue to bleed money for that long imo, EA won't allow it!  why so serious?

A short and very intense marketing blitz late autumn followed by humongous box sales, quickly followed by a storm of disappointment (plus a few people saying it's ok 'cause they got their moneys' worth of playtime, me included  Ohhhhh, I see.)
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #5977 on: April 29, 2011, 01:47:01 AM

Yeah, I've moved in the past few days from "Not planning on touching it with a barge pole." to "Yeah, I'll give them a box sale at least for the leveling experience."

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #5978 on: April 29, 2011, 01:49:42 AM

BioWare's own stats indicate that 50% of players who started Mass Effect 2 didn't finish it. Story doesn't drive everyone.

I'm not sure how you think you can even remotely tie those two things together?   Obviously story doesn't drive everyone (durr people are different).   If you want to say those stats show 50% of ME2 players weren't driven by story though then that's just pure rubbish.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #5979 on: April 29, 2011, 06:07:03 AM

Can you even do large scale testing when your game is so heavy driven by story?  Seems counter-productive.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #5980 on: April 29, 2011, 06:25:05 AM

a short review at RPS

a concept of being a dick to the virtual people, while not new for a BioWare game, did catch my eye as something indeed pretty new in a MMO.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #5981 on: April 29, 2011, 06:53:20 AM

I will probably have to play for the game for the simple fact of doing a Tyrox Radicalthon of it.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #5982 on: April 29, 2011, 07:48:35 AM

Ohhhhh, I see.

See: LOTRO.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #5983 on: April 29, 2011, 08:15:19 AM

Two updates today!

- Sith Warrior "Progression video":

http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/sith-warrior-progression

The Marauder looks amazing, IMO; I also liked the last bits of action involving the Juggernaut.

- Dev Blog (Michael Voigt, Lead UI Artist) illustrating the recent changes to the game interface:

http://www.swtor.com/news/blog/20110429

Here is how it looks at the moment:

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #5984 on: April 29, 2011, 08:37:55 AM

Now I'm not sure I still want to be a bounty hunter...cool armor AND lightsabers!

Caladein, if you're planning on buying at launch, sign up for BC Imperial Chapter. PM me here if you choose a non-Caladein-ish nick.
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: