Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 08:17:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2102228 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #4690 on: November 01, 2010, 01:54:34 PM

Wokiees are from Lichtenstein.

Part of an Imperial relocation program from Endor.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #4691 on: November 01, 2010, 02:55:23 PM

There are only a few million of them left. That's like making an MMORPG of the modern world and making the playable factions the US, Europe, China, and Lichtenstein.
I would totally play a Lichtensteinerin in the game of Earth!

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Stabs
Terracotta Army

Reply #4692 on: November 01, 2010, 03:46:59 PM

How dare you summarily divide Europe? We stand solid with our Liechtensteiner comrades in all foreign policy matters!
Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #4693 on: November 01, 2010, 03:57:29 PM

There are only a few million of them left. That's like making an MMORPG of the modern world and making the playable factions the US, Europe, China, and Lichtenstein.

Is it bad that when I read this, I was trying to think of what their different racial abilities would be?  ACK!

I bet Lichtenstein's would be over powered.

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #4694 on: November 01, 2010, 03:57:54 PM

Everybody is going to want to play a Lichtensteiner obviously. And equally obviously We Just Can't Have That!

We must diligently search for a way to prevent this, preferably one which involves weeks or months worth of tedious grinding.
Daeven
Terracotta Army

Reply #4695 on: November 01, 2010, 04:20:12 PM

Everybody is going to want to play a Lichtensteiner obviously. And equally obviously We Just Can't Have That!

We must diligently search for a way to prevent this, preferably one which involves weeks or months worth of tedious grinding.

Require Lederhosen and funny hats all all times.  Anyone that  points out that Lederhosen and funny hats are not unique to Lichenstein will be banned.

"There is a technical term for someone who confuses the opinions of a character in a book with those of the author. That term is idiot." -SMStirling

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #4696 on: November 01, 2010, 04:28:33 PM

I have to wear a drindl all the time?  Heck yeah!  Now I'm psyched.  When does it come out?

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #4697 on: November 01, 2010, 06:34:04 PM

In all seriousness a Mass Effect MMO could rock. Basically just port the classes over, noone is a spectre.

Keep the shooter combat and the RPG backbone and you're good to go. Everyone would have to have a ship. Oh, and make it possible to play Turians, Aasari (sp?), Krogan, errr.....the scientist guys (I forget their name...) and the species that Thane is.

Mass Effect only works because it is a single player title. Undiscovered planets / resources would be non-existent about 1.5 weeks after launch unless either things were heavily instanced (STO) or slowly renewable with long travel (EvE).

And besides, being a Spectre was the point - where you could do what you wanted, go where you wanted and see minimal consequences. It'd be like launching a Star Wars title and not letting players be Jedi.

tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #4698 on: November 01, 2010, 06:45:04 PM

It'd be like launching a Star Wars title and not letting players be Jedi.
Ohhhhh, I see.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #4699 on: November 01, 2010, 06:55:46 PM

In all seriousness a Mass Effect MMO could rock. Basically just port the classes over, noone is a spectre.

Keep the shooter combat and the RPG backbone and you're good to go. Everyone would have to have a ship. Oh, and make it possible to play Turians, Aasari (sp?), Krogan, errr.....the scientist guys (I forget their name...) and the species that Thane is.

Mass Effect only works because it is a single player title. Undiscovered planets / resources would be non-existent about 1.5 weeks after launch unless either things were heavily instanced (STO) or slowly renewable with long travel (EvE).

And besides, being a Spectre was the point - where you could do what you wanted, go where you wanted and see minimal consequences. It'd be like launching a Star Wars title and not letting players be Jedi.

Because planet exploration and resources are often cited as the high points of the Mass Effect franchise.

Also, being a Spectre was only a major point of the first game, and seems to mean a lot less outside of Council space.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #4700 on: November 01, 2010, 07:11:03 PM

It'd be like launching a Star Wars title and not letting players be Jedi.
Ohhhhh, I see.

I think we should punch him for good measure.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #4701 on: November 01, 2010, 10:54:32 PM

Mass Effect would be better as a MMO foundation because its magic is much more restrained and widespread (though still a balance nightmare) and there's no suggestion the universe is split into a couple of thousand "uber jedi dudes!" and cannon-fodder. And the star wars grognards are free to believe that's not how the mainstream is going to approach the title, it is just they will be wrong. 

A spectre would be the equivalent but that's just a highly trained agent with good gear.

Even better a Mass Effect MMO wouldn't have George Lucas involved and such insane expectations as this title labors under.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #4702 on: November 02, 2010, 12:49:31 AM

I would totally play a Lichtensteinerin in the game of Earth!

I've seen this game. The graphics are rubbish.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 04:56:36 AM by DraconianOne »

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #4703 on: November 02, 2010, 01:25:49 AM

Well, I can't argue with that. Ohhhhh, I see.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #4704 on: November 02, 2010, 06:06:50 AM

Because planet exploration and resources are often cited as the high points of the Mass Effect franchise.

I agree that they weren't. However, they served as substantial time filler and were required for the 'good' ending in ME2. Apart from that there was shooting stuff and simple mini-games. If there was a Mass Effect MMO, there would be something similar that players would be required to do for resource collection.

My broader point was that Mass Effect benefits from being in a fixed universe that only one player influences. A Mass Effect MMO loses that benefit.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #4705 on: November 02, 2010, 06:10:54 AM

Well you could say that about any single player game versus an MMO.  It's not specific to Mass Effect.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #4706 on: November 02, 2010, 07:00:56 AM

SimCitadelShopkeep would be awesome.  Unfortunately I doubt we're going to see a sandbox for most major IPs, and a more traditional MMO isn't suitable for a decent product either.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #4707 on: November 02, 2010, 08:32:58 AM

Most major IPs will be functionally identical to WoW.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #4708 on: November 02, 2010, 08:54:12 AM

They'll try, and fail.  WoW has the great advantage of being able to make silly quests and ignore half of its own lore.  Most other IPs are taken far more seriously by both fans and creators.  Theoretically that means it could make for an awesome world, but in practice means it's going to hamstring the dev team.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #4709 on: November 02, 2010, 09:06:16 AM

Mass Effect had its share of funny/silly quests. More so than any Star Wars game I can think of anyway.  And in the case of Mass Effect they were actually humorous rather than just yawnworthy pop-culture references.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #4710 on: November 02, 2010, 09:53:36 AM

What I find funny is that Mass Effect as a 'major IP' is just a way Bioware came up with to make another KotOR without the shackles of Lucas the Hutt. That it would shackle an mmo would be ironic.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #4711 on: November 02, 2010, 10:00:46 AM

They did the same thing with Dragon Age, to get away from WotC.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #4712 on: November 02, 2010, 11:03:22 AM

SimCitadelShopkeep would be awesome.

You might have to settle for a Refund Guy minigame.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #4713 on: November 02, 2010, 01:59:24 PM

Give me SimBeruCitadelShopkeep, or give me death!

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #4714 on: November 02, 2010, 02:00:21 PM

I'm Commander Shepherd, and this is my favorite ERP brothel on the Citadel.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #4715 on: November 02, 2010, 02:02:39 PM

I want to roleplay a Keeper.

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #4716 on: November 02, 2010, 02:53:15 PM

Imagine the possibilities!

Oh wait.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Shrike
Terracotta Army

Reply #4717 on: November 02, 2010, 07:50:42 PM

Imagine the possibilities!

Oh wait.

Oh, I don't know....

Keeper #20 seems to be up to something nefarious. Still, you'd best like RPing poker faces and looking like furniture.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #4718 on: November 02, 2010, 08:10:20 PM

Playing Keeper could be glorious if player housing was in.

Imagine being able to enter anyone's place at anytime and re-arrange their stuff in whatever way you please. Or just standing there while they're trying to unmask a quarian.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #4719 on: November 02, 2010, 10:56:17 PM

Imagine being able to enter anyone's place at anytime and re-arrange their stuff in whatever way you please.

That might be a deadly skill in DCU.

(I have no idea how I remember these things.)

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #4720 on: November 05, 2010, 06:06:07 AM

Today, Bioware Austin will officially reveal two more game systems: PVP Warzones and Crafting. Website Darth Hater already put up a detailed article based on the Electronic Arts Winter Showcase in London which took place yesterday.

http://darthhater.com/2010/11/05/swtor-pvp-warzones-crafting-revealed/page/1

Sounds promising.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #4721 on: November 05, 2010, 06:51:39 AM

The pvp is the predictable sport-pvp battleground concept.

Crafting appears to be a surprisingly sensible design based on managing your crew who do the actual watching of progress bars offline.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #4722 on: November 05, 2010, 07:09:42 AM

The pvp is the predictable sport-pvp battleground concept.

This is much better than trying to do some elaborate world based PvP and royally fucking it up. 
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #4723 on: November 05, 2010, 11:04:36 AM

- Warzone video on the official site:

http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20101105

- Another summary about Warzones and Crafting on Gamespot UK (video interview inside).

- As you might know, one of the advanced class names for the Jedi Consular will be "Jedi Wizard": looks like Bioware Austin decided to change that name, so they are  asking the community to vote (options are: Jedi Sage, Jedi Adept, Jedi Seer or keep the current denomination).

http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20101105-0

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #4724 on: November 05, 2010, 11:07:40 AM

Jedi Seer is the least offensive but most appropriate.

Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: