Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 12:22:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2102338 times)
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #2590 on: November 24, 2009, 09:09:08 AM

Both are correct, though I prefer 'ensure' when meaning 'certain'.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #2591 on: November 28, 2009, 09:09:13 AM

Hmm, that jedi consular pic reminded me a little

(Damn, always loved that movie)

And in other news, Alderaan is a playable planet.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #2592 on: November 28, 2009, 09:23:13 AM

Sith Inquisitor: you can tell by the picture that he says "muahahahaha" often.  Clenched, interlocked hands by mouth indicate that this is all unfolding as he has forseen.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #2593 on: November 28, 2009, 11:52:09 AM

Everquest, in spaaaaaaaace!

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #2594 on: November 28, 2009, 11:53:40 AM

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #2595 on: November 28, 2009, 05:23:33 PM

Hmm, that jedi consular pic reminded me a little

(Damn, always loved that movie)

You're my new hero. Well, you and the co-worker with action figures from it.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #2596 on: November 28, 2009, 05:33:01 PM

There are Big Trouble action figures?

Do want!

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #2597 on: November 28, 2009, 05:39:43 PM

Yea, he got lucky at ComicCon 2002. Original pack too. Amazon has a listing but none available. Originally they were done by Mirage Toys (formerlly N2 Toy), but Amazon's got a dead link for them. Instead they point you to... Avatar action figures?! Head scratch

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #2598 on: November 28, 2009, 06:53:02 PM

I picked up a couple at Forbidden Planet here in NYC.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #2599 on: November 29, 2009, 10:45:30 AM

I have that lo pan action figure, also statler and waldorf.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #2600 on: November 29, 2009, 11:28:52 AM

At first glance, I thought that image in the back said "Appleseed: Ex-Mangina." ¬_¬

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #2601 on: November 29, 2009, 01:43:49 PM

That's pretty much what it is. Especially when they make a bioroid clone out of Briareos.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #2602 on: November 29, 2009, 07:57:55 PM

Yea, he got lucky at ComicCon 2002. Original pack too.

So... he's had that for almost 8 years, please tell me he's taken it out of the box and... y'know. Played with it. Posed it. Given it a reason to exist?

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #2603 on: November 29, 2009, 07:59:29 PM

Don't be silly.

Though I will need to ask him if he bought two sets.
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2604 on: November 29, 2009, 08:10:29 PM

I used to pull my G.I. Joes apart and feed them to my rancor, whose name was Vern. That was fun.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #2605 on: November 30, 2009, 05:27:41 AM

Don't be silly.

0.0 DPS

If a toy is never taken from the box, never posed or played with, never enjoyed for what it is, it is a failed toy. There really is nothing more depressing than a failed toy. God I fucking despair of 'box-fresh' toy collectors. They don't love their collection. They love what their collection could be worth to someone even sadder than they are.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 05:30:21 AM by Mattemeo »

Shrike
Terracotta Army

Reply #2606 on: November 30, 2009, 09:35:08 AM

I wouldn't say failed, it still has the potential to do what it was meant to do. It's just been derailed by speculators. Just look at Hot Wheels collectors. 

It's not just toys. Gun owners can be just as bad. People will collect--just like they'll race--anything.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2607 on: November 30, 2009, 04:08:19 PM

I keep my figures in the box so I don't lose shit.  Maybe after the kids are grown and I stop moving I'll pull them out, but not before. 

I blame having a parent who threw away all the capes, guns and accessories of my figures within weeks of owning them.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #2608 on: November 30, 2009, 05:00:46 PM

Don't be silly.

0.0 DPS

If a toy is never taken from the box, never posed or played with, never enjoyed for what it is, it is a failed toy. There really is nothing more depressing than a failed toy. God I fucking despair of 'box-fresh' toy collectors. They don't love their collection. They love what their collection could be worth to someone even sadder than they are.

Or maybe they bought the figures when they were 29 because they loved the movie from thirteen years prior to that when they were too old to play with toys even then? And maybe they bought them to put them in their office at work along side the cool ass Star Wars and Lego stuff they collected over the years?

The amount of overthink you apply to this topic is surprising, even here. Next you'll say "toys are just for kids" or some equally myopic nonsense. Enjoyment is more than just pew pewing during imaginative play when you were 6.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #2609 on: November 30, 2009, 06:45:42 PM

Can we please not charge this thread with super-nerd?  why so serious?

Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #2610 on: November 30, 2009, 07:36:23 PM

Or maybe they bought the figures when they were 29 because they loved the movie from thirteen years prior to that when they were too old to play with toys even then? And maybe they bought them to put them in their office at work along side the cool ass Star Wars and Lego stuff they collected over the years?

The amount of overthink you apply to this topic is surprising, even here. Next you'll say "toys are just for kids" or some equally myopic nonsense. Enjoyment is more than just pew pewing during imaginative play when you were 6.

I'm not overthinking anything. If you bought the figure at 29, that doesn't mean you have to keep it inside the fucking box, jesus. If the movie/character meant so much to you all those years back you'd have at least taken the damn thing out and shown it some love. Toys are for everyone. Except people who don't let them be what they are.

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #2611 on: December 01, 2009, 02:52:08 AM

Quote from: Mattemeo

Toys are for everyone. Except people who don't let them be what they are.

Aww, what a cute puppy.  this guy looks legit

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Kageh
Terracotta Army

Reply #2612 on: December 01, 2009, 03:06:49 AM

I'm not overthinking anything. If you bought the figure at 29, that doesn't mean you have to keep it inside the fucking box, jesus. If the movie/character meant so much to you all those years back you'd have at least taken the damn thing out and shown it some love. Toys are for everyone. Except people who don't let them be what they are.

Collectibles are a different thing. By your logic, coins are failed for numismatists if they don't fondle them or use them to buy stuff, stamps for philatelists are failed if they aren't applied to envelopes etc. While collecting toys easily provokes an understandable reaction because "toys are meant to bring joy to the kids", the exact same argument applies to every collectible object which also has some sort of "function" (unlike let's say, paintings, which obviously can only be looked at).

A collectible has an intrinsic value for its owner, which usually is perceived aside from the mundane "function" the object would fulfill. The value comes from "owning" the object. While there might additional fun to be had "using" it the way it was supposed to be used, many collectors choose not to, in order to not diminish the perceived "value" of the object. It's all up to the person collecting stuff, and it's been like that since people started collecting. Nothing new, really.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2613 on: December 01, 2009, 03:40:26 AM

I just realized where I'd heard Mattemeo's sentiment before.

Dude, Toy Story 2 wasn't a documentary.  They can't feel, they don't animate when you're gone.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #2614 on: December 01, 2009, 06:49:39 AM

Can we please not charge this thread with super-nerd?  why so serious?

Dude, every thread on this forum is charged with super-nerd. To be honest I find this argument about 20 times more entertaining than PvP v PvE arguments that crop up in almost every post or indeed practically anything discussed about TOR in this very thread!
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #2615 on: December 01, 2009, 09:07:08 AM

Collectibles are a different thing. By your logic, coins are failed for numismatists if they don't fondle them or use them to buy stuff, stamps for philatelists are failed if they aren't applied to envelopes etc. While collecting toys easily provokes an understandable reaction because "toys are meant to bring joy to the kids", the exact same argument applies to every collectible object which also has some sort of "function" (unlike let's say, paintings, which obviously can only be looked at).

A collectible has an intrinsic value for its owner, which usually is perceived aside from the mundane "function" the object would fulfill. The value comes from "owning" the object. While there might additional fun to be had "using" it the way it was supposed to be used, many collectors choose not to, in order to not diminish the perceived "value" of the object. It's all up to the person collecting stuff, and it's been like that since people started collecting. Nothing new, really.

I honestly don't disagree with anything you've just said. I have collected many things through my life, sometimes for the sheer pleasure of collecting, but normally always because I desire them to perform at least part of their intended function. This ranges from toys (LEGO etc - though I will catagorically state here and now, anyone who collects LEGO and leaves it in the box needs to be shot. Into space. Preferably out of a cannon made from the LEGO they didn't use), music of varying formats etc, books, to musical instruments. Yes, there is definitely a pleasure to be had from the sheer owning of an object. But I honestly don't think it's comparable to not just owning but using the object for something (though those weird guys who jizz on vinyl anime statuettes are taking things too far). This is probably why I'll never bother collecting stamps, coins, butterflies, what have you - though when it comes down to it, you're essentially collecting tiny pieces of art, so if you display them thusly, they at least provide visual stimulation in the same manner. But 99% of the time, these collections sit in drawers or undisplayed books.

I don't think you can appreciate a toy if it is stuck in an unopened, pristine box, twined to the inner plastic inlay. It is permanently in potentia. It is a 3D object confined to the 2D. It is energy unexpended. And therefore, beyond the loose definition of collectable value, it is loveless. And I think it's a sad thing. I'm fully aware that this is a super-nerd environment and that there are probably many f13 users who vehemently disagree that their boxed toys are unloved or will facetiously tell me I'm living in a Toy Story fantasy land, but that's the fact of the matter from my perspective. Years ago, I was given a TY beanie baby plush kitten (my family home was a no-pets zone). I cut the tag off, to the horror of various people who've seen it. I'm not going to resell it. The tag looks shit. Why on earth would I keep a horrible flappy bit of card on a nasty bit of plastic on to ensure the increasing value of it? It's hardly a fucking Steiff button, is it? Madness.

Anyway, consider my part in this terrible de-rail done.

Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #2616 on: December 01, 2009, 12:30:15 PM

I have the Lego Death Star II. I got it as a gift for finishing my Master's -- last spring. I haven't even started assembling it, because I'm not sure where I'd put it and I want to glue it together so it'll stay together, and haven't figured out what method I want to use.

But it's fucking awesome.
AutomaticZen
Terracotta Army

Reply #2617 on: December 01, 2009, 01:11:13 PM

Most hardcore collectors I know have removed the figures from the boxes to put in their display cases.  Like these shots:
I admit I'm of the same mindset as Matt.  At least take it out and pose it a bit.  All those guys above keep the original packaging of course, but at least they play with it a little. 
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #2618 on: December 01, 2009, 02:05:04 PM

...the exact same argument applies to every collectible object which also has some sort of "function" (unlike let's say, paintings, which obviously can only be looked at).

Nah, plenty of paintings are purchased, wrapped up securely and placed in a vault in the anticipation that it will appreciate.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Xurtan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2619 on: December 01, 2009, 02:21:37 PM

Nah, plenty of paintings are purchased, wrapped up securely and placed in a vault in the anticipation that it will appreciate.

ACK! This idea horrifies me. Its just as bad as keeping books locked up.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #2620 on: December 02, 2009, 08:06:38 PM

This derail goes to show that our propensity for projecting how we play games onto others isn't really all that restricted to just games after all  Ohhhhh, I see.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #2621 on: December 02, 2009, 08:14:54 PM

I admit I'm of the same mindset as Matt.  At least take it out and pose it a bit. 

awesome, for real

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #2622 on: December 02, 2009, 11:50:26 PM

Thats a lot of Sims boxes.

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #2623 on: December 03, 2009, 01:40:17 AM

MxO!

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Kageh
Terracotta Army

Reply #2624 on: December 03, 2009, 02:10:33 AM

Thats a lot of Sims boxes.

Heh, that was exactly the first thing I thought, too!
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: