Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:10:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2071592 times)
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #1120 on: May 29, 2009, 08:20:41 AM

I rented JPB back in the day. For the first five minutes I thought "Hey this is kinda fun!" Then I fell off a cliff 40 times in a row trying to jump onto a platform and quit playing.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1121 on: May 29, 2009, 10:28:33 AM

That reminds me of Ultima VIII.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #1122 on: May 29, 2009, 10:34:03 AM

The way they've cranked out Star Wars games over the years, I'm still pissed we never got a lightsaber version of Bushido Blade.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1123 on: May 29, 2009, 10:39:21 AM

You are just trying to get me all worked up, aren't you?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #1124 on: May 29, 2009, 10:47:36 AM

The way they've cranked out Star Wars games over the years, I'm still pissed we never got a lightsaber version of Bushido Blade.

Jedi Knight 2 MP.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1125 on: May 29, 2009, 10:58:01 AM

Jedi Knight 2 MP.

Stop talking out of your ass.

Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #1126 on: May 29, 2009, 11:02:45 AM

I'm serious. It was absolutely terrific in MP, and lightsabers were the only weapons worth using. 3 stances, special moves and defense according to stance, ranged weapons nearly useless due to force push and quick saber stance, lightsaber-only servers, limbs being chopped off.

It was the closest thing to the bushido blade games I've ever played.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1127 on: May 29, 2009, 11:04:15 AM

And yet, it still was nothing like Bushido Blade.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1128 on: May 29, 2009, 11:15:55 AM

Yea, I played JKII and I played Bushido Blade.  The closest thing to Bushido Blade that I have played was Bushido Blade II: Electric Boogaloo, but, alas, it was not Bushido Blade.  JKII was great fun, but it was not anything like Bushido Blade.  Hell, Demon's Souls is more like Bushido Blade than JKII.

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #1129 on: May 29, 2009, 11:30:14 AM

As much as I'd like a Star Wars version of Bushido Blade, I'd also love a Bushido Blade version of Bushido Blade. Why did you have to remind me that BB2 existed?

"I'M TONY, CHECK OUT MY RHYTHYM!"

swamp poop swamp poop swamp poop

Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #1130 on: May 29, 2009, 02:23:14 PM

I'm serious. It was absolutely terrific in MP, and lightsabers were the only weapons worth using. 3 stances, special moves and defense according to stance, ranged weapons nearly useless due to force push and quick saber stance, lightsaber-only servers, limbs being chopped off.

Weird; that's almost the exact opposite of how I remember it.

Lightsabers were decent, but unless you were a Jedi IRL, force deflecting projectiles before they splashed you was tricky, so missiles and concussion blasts were still huge damage attacks.  Firing from mid-range, you could annihilate a saber user with one or two shots while they couldn't do much to you except that weak saber throw.  From behind, even the starter pistol did enough damage that you could take down a saber user before they could react.

The stances were a novel idea, but almost totally unused.  The only useful one was Strong stance, since that's the one which ignored blocks, so that's the one people used.  There was that one stupid jumping attack that was an instant kill if it connected, so that's the one everyone spammed.  So every duel was two people popping a swing, running in to melee range as it executed, and running back out for the follow through to finish, and spamming that stupid jump move whenever they had the force energy for it.  You could do all kinds of crazy stuff, like force run up walls, but there was never a reason to; you never got anything from doing that except maybe a bit of distance (which you could also get by just jumping).  There were all kinds of situational attacks (e.g. attack when an opponent is behind you and you deal an unblockable hit to them), but since everyone moved at Quake speeds, these were almost impossible to pull off reliably.  It was pretty much the definitive case of something that looks great on paper but fails to deliver, for me.  There was all this awesome stuff to do, all these cool moves and tricks, but nowhere to use them, no reason to try them.

I love the games in single player (Jedi Academy has some incredibly fun level design), but I really couldn't stand multiplayer for very long.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1131 on: May 29, 2009, 02:39:35 PM

As much as I'd like a Star Wars version of Bushido Blade, I'd also love a Bushido Blade version of Bushido Blade. Why did you have to remind me that BB2 existed?

"I'M TONY, CHECK OUT MY RHYTHYM!"

swamp poop swamp poop swamp poop

You are insane if you don't think Tony was the best character in BB2.

Fuck I loved that game.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #1132 on: May 31, 2009, 12:46:38 AM

The stances were a novel idea, but almost totally unused.  The only useful one was Strong stance, since that's the one which ignored blocks, so that's the one people used.  There was that one stupid jumping attack that was an instant kill if it connected, so that's the one everyone spammed. 

HASSAN CHOP!

That's my recollection of it too.

Then it was found the reverse stab was also super-powerful (possibly once the Hassan Chop was nerfed), so players would run up to each other backwards.

Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1133 on: May 31, 2009, 12:51:54 AM

Weird; that's almost the exact opposite of how I remember it.

Lightsabers were decent, but unless you were a Jedi IRL, force deflecting projectiles before they splashed you was tricky, so missiles and concussion blasts were still huge damage attacks.  Firing from mid-range, you could annihilate a saber user with one or two shots while they couldn't do much to you except that weak saber throw.  From behind, even the starter pistol did enough damage that you could take down a saber user before they could react.

The stances were a novel idea, but almost totally unused.  The only useful one was Strong stance, since that's the one which ignored blocks, so that's the one people used.  There was that one stupid jumping attack that was an instant kill if it connected, so that's the one everyone spammed.  So every duel was two people popping a swing, running in to melee range as it executed, and running back out for the follow through to finish, and spamming that stupid jump move whenever they had the force energy for it.  You could do all kinds of crazy stuff, like force run up walls, but there was never a reason to; you never got anything from doing that except maybe a bit of distance (which you could also get by just jumping).  There were all kinds of situational attacks (e.g. attack when an opponent is behind you and you deal an unblockable hit to them), but since everyone moved at Quake speeds, these were almost impossible to pull off reliably.  It was pretty much the definitive case of something that looks great on paper but fails to deliver, for me.  There was all this awesome stuff to do, all these cool moves and tricks, but nowhere to use them, no reason to try them.

I love the games in single player (Jedi Academy has some incredibly fun level design), but I really couldn't stand multiplayer for very long.

If you tried to win with fencing, you were doing it wrong.  I put all my force points in choke, lightning, and push.  Just stand near ledges and wait for people. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #1134 on: May 31, 2009, 01:36:33 AM

Depends on the map peeps.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1135 on: June 01, 2009, 02:31:48 PM

Big new trailer being revealed at the EA-E3 presentation now.

I'll get you the link when it's up in a non live streaming way.

EDIT: Here t'is.

http://swtor.com/media/trailers/deceived-cinematic-trailer
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 03:00:44 PM by Stormwaltz »

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1136 on: June 01, 2009, 03:09:45 PM

[enter voice-over discussions]

Welp, they've taken on the task of taking some of the most A.D.D.-ridden fans in the world and getting them to sit and listen to an entire MMOs-worth of voiceovers.  Are their writers really that good??  They better be.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #1137 on: June 01, 2009, 03:14:20 PM

Wow, that's kick ass. 
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1138 on: June 01, 2009, 03:39:22 PM

Kick ass trailers do not a kick ass game make.

Can't believe I just typed that...Anyway, wasn't there supposed to be 30 minutes of gameplay footage released today?  Or at least 5 minutes of gameplay with 25 minutes of developer commentary?
Gutboy Barrelhouse
Terracotta Army

Reply #1139 on: June 01, 2009, 03:45:49 PM

Too bad the Clone Wars was not rendered like that, I would have watched them all then.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #1140 on: June 01, 2009, 04:20:35 PM

Paraphrasing myself from the E3 letdown thread in PC/Console.

Regarding voiceover, if they stay the course with this title, it'll have more resemblance to KOTOR than any of the EQ1 descendants. So while we suffered through voiceovers in EQ2 beta until we could turn them off, SWTOR may just play differently enough where the voice isn't in the way as much as it supports. We didn't play through the Mass Effect story the same way we constantly optimize character stats in WoW smiley

But having watched the awesome sizzler, I'm forced to ask again: wtf? no real PvP? Whole damned video was PvP.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1141 on: June 01, 2009, 05:04:23 PM

Voiceover was great in AoC, it made a very noticeable difference in my enjoyment of the game when it was suddenly removed around lvl 20.  It also made for a very very large install folder.  That trailer is fucking awesome, i know that doesn't mean anything at all with regards to the actual game but it did get me pumped up to try it out which is really all a trailer can do.

I am the .00000001428%
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #1142 on: June 01, 2009, 05:06:20 PM

What a great trailer.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #1143 on: June 01, 2009, 05:11:57 PM

Wonder who did it? Looks like it could be Blur, but I'm sorta guessing...
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1144 on: June 01, 2009, 05:18:23 PM

I can't see this at work.  Am I correct in surmising we don't learn anything about actual game mechanics, beyond the voiceover bit?  Crafting, PvP system, that type of thing?

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1145 on: June 01, 2009, 05:19:23 PM

I can't see this at work.  Am I correct in surmising we don't learn anything about actual game mechanics, beyond the voiceover bit?  Crafting, PvP system, that type of thing?

You don't even learn the voiceover thing from the video - this is purely a cinematic trailer.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1146 on: June 01, 2009, 05:21:20 PM

Who gives a fuck right now? That trailer is pure fucking win. Let's bask in the glory of it today.
We've got plenty of time to go back to bitching about mechanics before the thing launches.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1147 on: June 01, 2009, 05:45:41 PM

That was easily one of the best LightSabre duels I have ever seen. Maybe the best. I've re watched like 5 times just to catch all the maneuvers the two 'boss' jedi/sith were pulling off.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #1148 on: June 01, 2009, 06:10:30 PM

Ya Ive watched it 4 times, so fucking awesome.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #1149 on: June 01, 2009, 06:17:15 PM

Four minute trailer was better than six hours of prequels.  heh.

I watched it on G4 first and I had to LOL.  When the EA presentation and SW trailer was over Olivia Munn said something like: "OMG that was awesome! So is the game going to play like that?"  Then random other G4 dude says "Yes."

All paraphrased, of course.  But jesus. 
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1150 on: June 01, 2009, 06:20:24 PM

Viewed in isolation, the trailer is entertaining.  But I seem to recall a great cinematic for WAR of a massive city siege, and look where that got us.  Non-gameplay trailers mean less than nothing.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1151 on: June 01, 2009, 06:25:18 PM

Oh, that reminds me.  Another reason PVP in this game would be an asinine decision.. 5:1 Sith ratio.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1152 on: June 01, 2009, 06:27:23 PM

Viewed in isolation, the trailer is entertaining.  But I seem to recall a great cinematic for WAR of a massive city siege, and look where that got us.  Non-gameplay trailers mean less than nothing.

It means we can watch and enjoy an awesome trailer.

I am the .00000001428%
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1153 on: June 01, 2009, 08:28:16 PM

Oh, that reminds me.  Another reason PVP in this game would be an asinine decision.. 5:1 Sith ratio.

This.

I so dread being overrun by wanna-be evil asshats spamming the sith mantra over and over.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
AutomaticZen
Terracotta Army

Reply #1154 on: June 01, 2009, 08:40:27 PM

This.

I so dread being overrun by wanna-be evil asshats spamming the sith mantra over and over.

Hey, you gotta give them something, because apparently the only lightsaber color they have is red.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: