Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 03:16:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 363 364 [365] 366 367 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2102055 times)
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #12740 on: November 14, 2011, 01:03:10 PM

It's like half a meg, I would shit up every threads load time that I post in instead of just this one.  why so serious?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #12741 on: November 14, 2011, 01:28:47 PM

That's why I said a version of it.  I figured the actual .gif would be too big.

Over and out.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #12742 on: November 14, 2011, 03:13:53 PM

Is this out yet?

God Save the Horn Players
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #12743 on: November 14, 2011, 03:45:17 PM

Well I'm playing it right now, does that count Sjofn?

That sounds like effort Nevermore!

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #12744 on: November 14, 2011, 04:02:36 PM

No, it does not.  Heartbreak

God Save the Horn Players
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #12745 on: November 14, 2011, 04:03:52 PM

Absence makes the heart grow fonder or something!

Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #12746 on: November 14, 2011, 04:07:11 PM

Absence makes the heart grow fonder or something!

I keep telling the wife that but she keeps comng home
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #12747 on: November 14, 2011, 04:47:43 PM

As many of you may know by now, SWTOR is taking security seriously, and is forcing everyone to choose new passwords that follow their guidelines.

I for one am glad they are so focused on security.  I feel much safer knowing they are concerned with my safety.

PS - It accepted my old password for my new password.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #12748 on: November 14, 2011, 04:51:54 PM

Well it was about the complexity of the passwords technically.

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #12749 on: November 14, 2011, 05:08:39 PM

Will there be authenticators available?

Over and out.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #12750 on: November 14, 2011, 05:15:23 PM

Yea, they will have some sort of authenticator, I think you can even see one in the big fancy special boxed edition.

Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #12751 on: November 14, 2011, 05:26:04 PM

As many of you may know by now, SWTOR is taking security seriously, and is forcing everyone to choose new passwords that follow their guidelines.

I for one am glad they are so focused on security.  I feel much safer knowing they are concerned with my safety.

PS - It accepted my old password for my new password.
Heh, good one.  They also have the good old 'email address as username' going on there.  Very security-conscious, they are.   Ohhhhh, I see.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #12752 on: November 14, 2011, 05:38:45 PM

My CE has an authenticator, F you guys!
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #12753 on: November 14, 2011, 07:24:14 PM

I was pissy to Trion when they changed from usernames to email addresses. Why not use social security numbers?

And it's a 16 character MAXIMUM. Really? I had to cut my current password generation almost in half to fit.
Lun
Terracotta Army

Reply #12754 on: November 14, 2011, 11:41:09 PM

There's a massive beta key giveaway going on at pretty much every "major" gaming site on the internet. For example, Curse.com has about 125k beta keys for the next beta test weekend.

Time to crash some servers  awesome, for real

EDIT: Just google "star wars the old republic beta key giveway"
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 11:48:15 PM by Lun »
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #12755 on: November 14, 2011, 11:48:43 PM

-.- prolly will break the nda if i ever get in....but...meh..20 gb client ~_~

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #12756 on: November 15, 2011, 12:12:32 AM

There's a massive beta key giveaway going on at pretty much every "major" gaming site on the internet. For example, Curse.com has about 125k beta keys for the next beta test weekend.

If you've already registered for beta prior to this weekend then you are already in the next beta test weekend.

Hi all,

Just a reminder that if you were a registered member of our website on or before November 11th, 2011, you will be invited to the future weekend test. Regardless of whether you received an email last week or not, please do not take beta keys off of any external websites if you are already a registered member of our site. Let's leave them for the more needy, please.

They also said if you do use a key you might mess up your guaranteed spot in the next beta test.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #12757 on: November 15, 2011, 02:06:03 AM

Cause yea, there are what? Three weekends between now and release? They just want everyone and their brother to download 20 gigs. And then have to do it again in a month....

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #12758 on: November 15, 2011, 02:40:24 AM

I have previously tested Star Wars: The Old Republic and already have the game client. Will I need to re-download the client for the upcoming Beta Testing Weekend?

Yes. The game client has changed substantially since earlier Game Testing phases, and you'll need to re-download it for the upcoming Testing Weekend. If you have been invited to the 11-13th of November Beta Testing Weekend, you will need to patch the game client for the upcoming Beta Testing Weekend.

Will I need to re-download the game client after the upcoming Beta Testing Weekend, or can I use it during Early Game Access?

You may have to re-download the game client. This will be confirmed after the upcoming Beta Testing Weekend.
cironian
Terracotta Army

play his game!: solarwar.net

Reply #12759 on: November 15, 2011, 03:16:11 AM

Think they just want to stress test their download pipeline before the release rush?
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #12760 on: November 15, 2011, 06:37:25 AM

With the size of this game you can hardly blame them. 
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #12761 on: November 15, 2011, 09:09:47 AM

We are NEVER going to hit 400 at this rate.  You people disappoint me.

Let's try this:  SWTOR is a WoW killer.

Discuss.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #12762 on: November 15, 2011, 09:16:22 AM

SWTOR is a WoW killer.

Discuss.

It will be, in the sense that it does do some things different than WoW, things that people have wanted in WoW for a long time, but never got.  The voice-led story-driven unique-per-class campaign will keep people strapped fastly in their seats until they reach the end of the ride, at which point the game basically turns into every other MMO end-game; dailies, raids and crafting. As long as they can keep the story interesting, the game balanced, patch the bugs ASAP and keep the servers humming, they will succeed in taking a nice chunk out of WoW's pie.  WoW won't die, but it's going to get a body-blow from one 800 lbs. gorilla to another.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #12763 on: November 15, 2011, 09:25:24 AM

Unless SWTOR launches with an immaculately balanced and robust PvE raid/difficult small-group game they're completely different games for me.

As someone that has no aversions to keeping two MMO subs rolling, it can easily take over the rest of my game time, both through leveling new characters and doing less serious stuff with friends, but I just don't see it as a great "rec league" game at or around launch.  I don't even know if that's something they even want to go after to be honest.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #12764 on: November 15, 2011, 09:42:08 AM

wow's decline has already started, swtor may help it along but it was already a foregone conclusion.  I'm still not convinced swtor will be a huge success though, people do seem to be getting sick of wow gameplay and just pallette-swapping things and adding VO wont make he gameplay suck less.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #12765 on: November 15, 2011, 09:48:27 AM

I heard LGBT guild's are going to be banned from SWTOR.  Thank the gods!

Cthulu

"Me am play gods"
Tyrnan
Terracotta Army

Reply #12766 on: November 15, 2011, 09:53:15 AM

I heard LGBT guild's are going to be banned from SWTOR.  Thank the gods!

Cthulu

I hear these people approve of this message...
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #12767 on: November 15, 2011, 10:02:18 AM

wow's decline has already started, swtor may help it along but it was already a foregone conclusion.  I'm still not convinced swtor will be a huge success though, people do seem to be getting sick of wow gameplay and just pallette-swapping things and adding VO wont make he gameplay suck less.

It isn't just "adding VO"; it's adding characterization and personal story arcs. That will tend to create a lot of stickiness/attachment to your character for most people. Look at how attached people get to 'their' Commander Shepard.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #12768 on: November 15, 2011, 10:26:41 AM

I wouldn't pay a subscription to play mass effect though and it's gameplay is remarkably better than wow. You're also discounting how attached people get to their characters in ANY game.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #12769 on: November 15, 2011, 10:49:25 AM

SWTOR has a few things going for it. People expect it to be "the next big thing" and it's got some really positive branding both with Star Wars and with Bioware, so it will have a load of people playing it who might not have bothered to play something like Rift. Having that kind of social inertia is important. It's by all reports a very good stable game as well.

It has some things against it though. First and foremost, it is SF. Going back to tabletop D&D, SF games never seem to capture the same market share as fantasy games. I think there's some good reasons for this. I played AO for quite a while and I never could quite come to terms with why it was I couldn't use weapon X, Y, or Z. It's much easier to say the mystical rules of the universe laid down by the Gods mean that a paladin can't duel wield. It's a lot harder to tell me that I'm a bounty hunter and can't pick up a blaster rifle.

Overall I think cata was the wow killer. It changed the language of the critique of WoW from an outsider to insider critique. Ie, instead of "I think EQ2 (or whatever) is a better game than WoW" it became "I loved WoW and Bliz fucked it up." That leaves things open for players to find something else. And I don't think Pandas are going to reverse that.

SWTOR should release to enough interest to really grab a large chunk of people, but then it has to grow and not lose its existing subs. That will probably come down to having a robust and quickly developing end game so it doesn't get nailed by Diablo III releasing just as people run out of stuff to do--which I suspect is what Bliz hopes to do. And coming up with a really good expansion that will compete with the Pandas. That's assuming they can develop expansions twice as fast as Bliz, which seems safe as pretty much everyone does.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #12770 on: November 15, 2011, 10:51:29 AM

wow's decline has already started, swtor may help it along but it was already a foregone conclusion.  I'm still not convinced swtor will be a huge success though, people do seem to be getting sick of wow gameplay and just pallette-swapping things and adding VO wont make he gameplay suck less.

Apparently investors were shocked to learn that Activision Blizzard isn't doing that well anymore in the MMOG market. Probably because none of them actually play the game. The stock has since dropped over 15% since the Q3 earnings announcement, and Vivendi unloaded 35M of it's shares as of today.

The truth is, the numbers are starting to catch up with WoW. They have essentially ignored their player issues with their game since the Cataclysm release, and as such they've lost about a quarter of their market share.

If SWTOR is remotely successful, and can capitalize on those not into WoW anymore, or those waiting for something new to leave WoW on the fence, they could easily draw in 3M subs right off the bat.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #12771 on: November 15, 2011, 10:52:54 AM

I'm still not convinced swtor will be a huge success though, people do seem to be getting sick of wow gameplay and just pallette-swapping things and adding VO wont make he gameplay suck less.

This is the same argument we heard against WoW in the first place.   Naysayers thought taking EQ and adding quest text wasn't all that big a deal.   The reality is adding VO does in fact make the gameplay suck less.   They will have to have something else up their sleeve for end game of course.   The VO will help some there but it's going to be diluted.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #12772 on: November 15, 2011, 11:41:49 AM

I just got back into WoW after leaving shortly after Cata hit. Man. I fucking hate all the cutscenes. "Do, don't show!"

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #12773 on: November 15, 2011, 11:59:21 AM

The medium is evolving again, but probably not like folks expected. It's not game mechanics that's going to change but the presentation. With games like GTA, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, LA Noire and now SWTOR bringing a professionally acted, fully voiced experience, reading scrolling quest text is going to be as old school as forced grouping and non-instanced dungeons. WoW is on the downside but it'll still chug on. The real impact is going to be on Titan. If it has fanfic quest text like WoW it will fail.

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #12774 on: November 15, 2011, 12:01:33 PM

SWTOR has a 'skip all cutscenes' box that you can use if you are replaying a class or if they have any storylines that are bad as Uldum's.
Pages: 1 ... 363 364 [365] 366 367 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: