Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 09:33:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: What went wrong. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What went wrong.  (Read 230281 times)
Bismallah
Terracotta Army

Reply #700 on: November 25, 2008, 07:19:50 PM

I'm just really curious what was said at the EA GM conference. I bet they looked at some subscription charts, said ok Mark right there is our bottom line, can you go back give some some sort of candy and keep it above that? (bottom line is probably super low on the charts, 200-250k subscribers) So Mark comes home, says hey kick those changes into overdrive lets push something out asap to hold that line and call it a holiday.

If it's one job I wouldn't want, its being a developer for EA Mythic. I bet they get jerked every which way but loose all the while thinking "god what a stupid change, but hey, it pays the bills so into the code it goes!!"

I am still just amazed at a 7th iteration of server transfers, that's just wowzahs.
Grumlic
Terracotta Army

Reply #701 on: November 25, 2008, 08:50:57 PM

I will say this for the game. Even after the 15 oRvR kill stuff was done, people still went out to RvR. Even tonight it was going stronger than it has before in T3. Finally leveled out though, so gonna level up a bit before doing T4.

We'll see. My server was made a destination server today for transfers, so we're gonna get an infusion of players to flesh things out a bit. Already know of 5 guilds coming over. Just hope it doesn't make things unbalanced as far as realm population, because we're one of the few servers that has a decent balance between Order and Destruction.

Just gonna bide my time for Aion though, for now. Got a couple people I know in the Korean beta for it, and it seems to be half-ass decent.
Grim
Developers

TC Digital

Reply #702 on: November 25, 2008, 08:59:56 PM

I'm just really curious what was said at the EA GM conference. I bet they looked at some subscription charts, said ok Mark right there is our bottom line, can you go back give some some sort of candy and keep it above that? (bottom line is probably super low on the charts, 200-250k subscribers) So Mark comes home, says hey kick those changes into overdrive lets push something out asap to hold that line and call it a holiday.

If it's one job I wouldn't want, its being a developer for EA Mythic. I bet they get jerked every which way but loose all the while thinking "god what a stupid change, but hey, it pays the bills so into the code it goes!!"

I am still just amazed at a 7th iteration of server transfers, that's just wowzahs.

Nothing to see.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 04:30:18 PM by Grim »
schild
Administrator

Reply #703 on: November 25, 2008, 09:29:26 PM

Get rid of that stupid Bartle sig, thanks.
Grim
Developers

TC Digital

Reply #704 on: November 25, 2008, 09:53:27 PM

Get rid of that stupid Bartle sig, thanks.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 04:24:39 PM by Grim »
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #705 on: November 25, 2008, 11:10:27 PM

After a failed western RVR game you placing your hope on a korean grind diku ?  ACK!

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #706 on: November 25, 2008, 11:30:32 PM

If it's one job I wouldn't want, its being a developer for EA Mythic.

... especially now, at Xmas. There are two big patches in the works that Mythic would be stupid to launch before Xmas, which leaves a lot of devs pulling extra hours over what is normally a holiday period. Especially because there are no laurels to rest on given the player reaction to WAR.

Having read the letter, it is actually heading towards some right ideas - RvR dropping better items (or you being able to earn better items through RvR, even if it is another XP bar), more reasons to go into RvR areas. But it also misses a lot - wow, I can bind myself to two places at once? Why not EVERY camp I've ever visited? - and promises a lot months before it is due. I know that devs can't win. If they don't say something, they get accused of not knowing the issues; if they do say something, they get blasted for what they say. But saying all this stuff, then saying "might change subject to testing" and not giving any kind of release date is creating a rod for their own back.

But, on the other hand:

There is no singly "silver bullet" that will get more people into oRvR instantly that also doesn't mess things up more in the long term.

What long term? WAR doesn't have a long term - EA will slit its throat without afterthought if the returns aren't there. WAR won't be getting TR's long stay of execution either.

You've got 49 empty servers.

The core mechanic of your title is undernourished.

You main competitor does everything else better than you.

Player numbers are so poor that, post launch high, you won't announce sub numbers.

No, please, bank on the long term.

(Unless your plan is for EA to can WAR since it bombed then buy it up cheap and self-publish. In which case: well played, sir.)

d4rkj3di
Terracotta Army

Reply #707 on: November 26, 2008, 12:37:47 AM

Pavlov: The only shit people without psychology knowledge can readily quote. Just as effective as quoting e=mc2 to assert your knowledge of physics.
Tell me about your mother. See it's a reference to Sigmund Freud, the real shit that people without psychology knowledge can readily quote, and the bonus is it sets up a "your mom" joke. Lurk more, fucktard.
Bismallah
Terracotta Army

Reply #708 on: November 26, 2008, 03:56:23 AM

And UnSub don't forget where most of them are... NOVA/DC sucks during the winter. If we get a teency bit of snow people drive bananas. Yet those devs are going to have to come to work come hell or high water.
Grumlic
Terracotta Army

Reply #709 on: November 26, 2008, 08:40:45 AM

After a failed western RVR game you placing your hope on a korean grind diku ?  ACK!

Well, it's apparently different than that from everything I've heard so far. Hoping to get into the NA beta (probably coming in January) to see if it's gonna live up to the hype. If it doesn't, no biggie. Not buying until I know if it's worth it.
Jherad
Terracotta Army

I find Rachel Maddow seriously hot.

Reply #710 on: November 26, 2008, 09:02:59 AM

Well, it's apparently different than that from everything I've heard so far. Hoping to get into the NA beta (probably coming in January) to see if it's gonna live up to the hype. If it doesn't, no biggie. Not buying until I know if it's worth it.

I'm not convinced that Aion will be much different from other Korean grindfests:

http://www.aionsource.com/articles/translations-2/aion-cbt-2-review-thisisgamecom-13/

In other words, there were no other ways to level up after level 30 other than killing monsters by the thousands.

The thought of a L2-like grind gives me a headache.
Grumlic
Terracotta Army

Reply #711 on: November 26, 2008, 09:39:43 AM

Well if it remains like that then yeah, I probably won't bother with it. Still a ways away though, and the NA beta isn't slated until sometime early 2009, possibly in January.
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #712 on: November 26, 2008, 10:31:04 AM

Yeah...

The problem here is, upon death, the player will lose about 5% of the total experience for that level. For a level 30 player, that's about 30 minutes' worth of experience. Being killed by a member of the opposing faction also results in an experience loss.

It's not easy to get experience either. The amount of experience a level 34 player will have to accumulate is 10,000,000. Based on experience yield from mobs of the same level, the player will have to kill about 1,200. Completing the three to four quests given per level gives about 40,000-60,000, about 0.5% of total experience. Note that dying while working on the quest will actually be a loss.

Unless they release a server without that kinda crap and with xp way buffed, I can't see that game ever being huge in western shores.

Losing xp upon death in 2009? Seriously?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 10:32:50 AM by Itto »

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #713 on: November 26, 2008, 05:22:13 PM

It proves you are hardcore.

... well, as hardcore as a title with androgynous pretty pretty angels and rainbow unicorns can be.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #714 on: November 27, 2008, 06:26:05 AM

Are there really rainbow unicorns?  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #715 on: November 27, 2008, 06:30:12 AM

Whoops maybe I should read the posts first...
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #716 on: November 27, 2008, 06:49:45 AM

... well, as hardcore as a title with androgynous pretty pretty angels and rainbow unicorns can be.

It also proves that there's no way in hell your game will ever break 1 million subs.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
khaine
Terracotta Army

Reply #717 on: November 27, 2008, 07:48:53 AM

It also proves that there's no way in hell your game will ever break 1 million subs.

In the US yes , but there's no issue with Aion hitting multi-million in Asia , it will replace L2 as the #2 mmorpg worldwide I am fairly certain

Honestly I'm looking forward to it also , I can deal with death penalties if the rest of the game is fun , I played Lineage2 both the Korean and NA version and enjoyed it ,

Grumlic
Terracotta Army

Reply #718 on: November 27, 2008, 11:08:01 AM

Is it an L2 clone? Yeah, then fuck it, it's not worth playing. However let's see what happens. If it is indeed a grindfest for max level then it's shit and I won't play, but things might be changed for the NA version (yeah, I'm hallucinating and tripping on acid) but from what I've read about the game it's "supposed" to be non-grindfest ala L2 (according to previous press releases regarding the game). Like I've said before, we'll see how the NA beta goes. If they don't respond to feedback from those who hate grinding for levels, then I don't have to buy it. I've already fucked up with Vanguard, AoC and WAR. If I fuck up again and subscribe to AION, then I deserve to lose my money on something that sucks.

WAR is the last MMO I'll subscribe to from launch. Everything else has to prove it's worth my subscription fee.
Thelg
Terracotta Army

Reply #719 on: November 27, 2008, 12:17:05 PM

Whatever people say about L2 they got couple things right. Their servers and client could handle castle sieges that would make WAR or WoW servers explode. If WAR used their engine that real city sieges would be possible.. and 3-4 warband fights would be completely smooth.

Anyway.. the recent Heavy Metal 15 kill achievement brought out a ton of people into orvr, playing OPed BW alt I was getting much better XP from that then doing scenario in a pug. If you can get instant scenario pops with a guild group it is better, but in orvr for that 1 day I got 75% of the R30 in about 3 hours.. Getting 2-3k xp for many of the kills and just a non-stop waves of people to slaughter was nice. I people actually showed up then with current xp leveling would have been not nearly as bad.

The letter itself is just junk.. influence?? ugh

All he had to do is promise Realm Abilities (there you got half the DAOC people drooling in joy). Fix zone control. Fixing stupid 1 rp per kill thing in ORVR only. All the other stuff like fixing items I assume is getting done no matter what.
Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #720 on: November 27, 2008, 02:58:14 PM

Whatever people say about L2 they got couple things right. Their servers and client could handle castle sieges that would make WAR or WoW servers explode. If WAR used their engine that real city sieges would be possible.. and 3-4 warband fights would be completely smooth.

You mean the Unreal enginge?  tongue

"You finally did it, you magnificent bastards. You went so nerd that even I don't know WTF you're talking about anymore. I salute you." - WindupAtheist
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #721 on: November 27, 2008, 04:46:29 PM

Are there really rainbow unicorns?  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

Well, there are elves and catpeople, so I'm sure rainbow unicorns aren't far behind.

Of course, if you want a game with rainbow unicorns, there is always this.

Sleep
Terracotta Army

Reply #722 on: November 28, 2008, 06:37:23 AM

It is so annoying that I have to click into the character menu then check and uncheck my cloak to show heraldry and check and uncheck my helm because its ugly, every 20 minutes. How long has this game been out? Is it seriously like hardcoded in there or something(mythic's fav excuse) ? This should have been fixed a long time ago.

All the little things like that show me that this game is still in beta. We are just paying to help them get their shit together now.
BitWarrior
Terracotta Army

Reply #723 on: November 28, 2008, 08:16:33 AM

It is so annoying that I have to click into the character menu then check and uncheck my cloak to show heraldry and check and uncheck my helm because its ugly, every 20 minutes. How long has this game been out? Is it seriously like hardcoded in there or something(mythic's fav excuse) ? This should have been fixed a long time ago.

All the little things like that show me that this game is still in beta. We are just paying to help them get their shit together now.

Welcome, WHA user

Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put.
Bismallah
Terracotta Army

Reply #724 on: November 28, 2008, 02:28:57 PM

I'm not paying heh.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: What went wrong.  
Jump to: