Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:37:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: State of The Game - Mark Jacobs 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: State of The Game - Mark Jacobs  (Read 619072 times)
Ashmodai
Terracotta Army

Reply #770 on: October 24, 2008, 09:27:40 AM

Lowering dps isn't the solution.  You nerf dps by raising resistances and increasing hps.

Same effect with one being more acceptible than the other to the unwashed masses. 

Well, if resistances go up, incoming damage per second goes down, so yeah, I agree with you - same effect.  I was just trying to covey that buffing the weaker classes to the level of the stronger ones in a vacuum absent of any other changes would be a cure worse than the disease.
Maladee
Terracotta Army

Reply #771 on: October 24, 2008, 09:34:23 AM

No matter what you do, someone will scream.  That's the nature of MMO's.  I think that MJ needs to stop talking and just DO.  Implement changes as rapidly as it is feasible and employ a number of reliable testers to ensure that these releases pass muster before being shipped to the masses. 

The game was shipped too early and it's suffering for it.  Not much to do but look forward.

This I agree with.  Especially the bolded part.  I know it's a live game, but there are a ton, really, a ton of game breaking problems with overall balance and playability.  Cherrypicking them off slowly a small patch at a time isn't the solution here, they need to be bold and implement fixes as fast as they possibly can, large patches that yes, might have the possibility of breaking things, but will have a far less detrimental effect on the player base who will realize they are actually trying to fix the game than doing nothing or more carefully implementing changes more slowly. 

There's just way too much to fix to do what most developers do, which is slowly hack away at the problems with weekly patches that address 1-2 major issues each, when the game has a laundry list of 20, 30+ or how many ever major problems that need addressing.  Doing that leads to subscribers trickling away, which leads to lower populations, which introduces a whole new set of issues, and the loss of players just snowballs into more loss of players.

This.

(I knew if I waited long enough, someone would say what I was thinking so it made more sense than the spastic muddle I was trying to verbalize!)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 09:39:28 AM by Maladee »

It's not that I don't like people. It's just that when I'm in the company of others - even my nearest and dearest - there always comes a moment when I'd rather be reading a book. — Maureen Corrigan
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #772 on: October 24, 2008, 09:50:54 AM

T4 is terrible atm, it's a spam cc fest, and especially ruined by electromagnet/magnetic rift, which are possibly the two most ill-thought out abilities to ever be given to any classes in any MMO, ever.  I'd like to hear about contenders for that dubious honor if anyone disagrees with that statement, they might provide me with a few laughs.

Doc buffs and Debuffs in SWG. Oh Snap, we have WAR and SWG in one thread. Lets watch it hit 200 pages.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #773 on: October 24, 2008, 10:07:38 AM

Doc buffs and Debuffs in SWG. Oh Snap, we have WAR and SWG in one thread. Lets watch it hit 200 pages.

First person to mention NGE or collision detection "gets it".   why so serious?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Ashmodai
Terracotta Army

Reply #774 on: October 24, 2008, 10:10:12 AM

A strong contender I concede you that, sir.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #775 on: October 24, 2008, 10:31:57 AM

It's only missing one thing...

Quote from: MarkJacobs
except thatEA wanted to shut down UO when they gave it to us

I bet that would have happened a long time ago if it weren't for wonderful glorious TRAMMEL!

DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #776 on: October 24, 2008, 10:33:13 AM

NGE was rad
Collision detection... ugh
I tried, Burma Shave
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #777 on: October 24, 2008, 10:34:42 AM

I bet that would have happened a long time ago if it weren't for wonderful glorious TRAMMEL!

DRILLING AND MANLINESS

my what do we have here? HAY GUYZ WHATS GOIN ON N HERE?

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
schild
Administrator

Reply #778 on: October 24, 2008, 10:34:58 AM

State of the game? I think the other thread just sealed the deal:

It's in the shitter.
lac
Terracotta Army

Reply #779 on: October 24, 2008, 10:38:49 AM

Mark Jacobs
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #780 on: October 24, 2008, 10:46:59 AM

can we at least add to the gallery for something good to have come out of this?
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #781 on: October 24, 2008, 11:18:18 AM

don't be an asshat
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 11:20:16 AM by schild »

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Seanzor
Terracotta Army

Reply #782 on: October 24, 2008, 11:20:09 AM

The Great American Novel

You should steal that and get it published, you'll never have to work another day in your life.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #783 on: October 24, 2008, 12:42:50 PM

So the second person is safe? DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Thorgald

Email
Reply #784 on: October 24, 2008, 12:55:34 PM

Not making exceptions even if I agree. Sorry, read the stickies.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 12:57:08 PM by schild »
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #785 on: October 24, 2008, 04:26:33 PM

can we at least add to the gallery for something good to have come out of this?

This needs to happen. Something must come of all the golden thread/new religion shitola from the first couple pages.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #786 on: October 24, 2008, 04:41:41 PM

DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Needs more crazy population graphs.
And SirBruce.  why so serious?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
fefner

Email
Reply #787 on: October 25, 2008, 03:49:44 AM

Try a line break some time.

Also, starfucking.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 09:30:50 AM by schild »
M194

Email
Reply #788 on: October 25, 2008, 08:32:02 AM

Don't post, don't read, but here's some info.

/boggle
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 09:29:28 AM by schild »
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #789 on: October 25, 2008, 08:49:58 AM

Ah damn, after moving this to the Graveyard, it looked like it turned away the freaks.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
khaine
Terracotta Army

Reply #790 on: October 25, 2008, 09:13:58 AM

"Hey, guys.  I'm not a forum poster here, not even a forum reader here."

Has there been a better first line for a first post ? I mean if that doesn't snag you and make you realize how insightful and intelligent of a post is likely to follow after that statement I'm not sure what will

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #791 on: October 25, 2008, 09:22:44 AM

If you would like proof that Mark is wise about this, I offer my own preferences as testimony.

Que?

Maladee
Terracotta Army

Reply #792 on: October 25, 2008, 09:43:40 AM

Hey, guys.  I'm not a forum poster here, not even a forum reader here.  I am here because someone pointed this whole discussion out to me - but other than that, I'm just a player of Warhammer Online.

If you would like proof that Mark is wise about this, I offer my own preferences as testimony. I'm still going to prefer scenarios to open RVR due to time restraints in my life and how long I'm able to play WAR in each sitting.

I don't really have anything else to say because most of the posts above are from less than a handful of gamers and, to Mark, I don't know why you'd reply to these kinds of posts.

Glad to see you appreciate feedback and care for the community - but you, yourself, said "way off base" therefore - let it go.  Do your job and expect people to be unhappy.  These guys didn't Design Warhammer, don't let these guys Change Warhammer.

Huh?  After I was finished giggling to myself about the ego, I tried to figure out if I perhaps misread this post...then I gave up and giggled more.  So what I'm seeing is that nothing should change because the people who complain didn't design the game?  In the reality where I live, the players are also the payers!  Ipso facto, paying attention to what they think and *gasp* making changes keeps them playing and therefore pays those who design the game!

Even if I agreed with you wholeheartedly on this one, I'd still think you needed to go back and rethink your line of reasoning. 

By the way...how many gamers DOES it take to make a handful?   Tinfoil Hat

It's not that I don't like people. It's just that when I'm in the company of others - even my nearest and dearest - there always comes a moment when I'd rather be reading a book. — Maureen Corrigan
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #793 on: October 25, 2008, 09:53:11 AM

Male DRILLING AND MANLINESS or female  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS ?

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #794 on: October 25, 2008, 10:03:41 AM

A retarded Warhammer noob being flamed by a seemingly not-retarded one. Hmm.

I'm really starting to think the boat was missed in just culling all the retarded ones. I think Schild & Co. should have made them all fight it out in some sort of gladiatorial pit. Maybe the field could have been winnowed down until only one remained, a sort of idiot-champion of the great "Mark Jacobs look at MEEEE!" invasion of '08. Then they could go up against Grunk, AW, and maybe that "heavy hitters" guy in a four-way cage match of doom.

Maladee
Terracotta Army

Reply #795 on: October 25, 2008, 10:08:24 AM

Male DRILLING AND MANLINESS or female  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS ?

One should assume that all pixels are male until proven otherwise!  The pie is a lie!...or something.   DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS  (should I say "teehee" or something?) Hello Kitty

@WUA:  As a perma-noob, I think hair-pulling is key to a successful fight.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 10:10:10 AM by Maladee »

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #796 on: October 25, 2008, 10:15:36 AM

I'm really starting to think the boat was missed in just culling all the retarded ones. I think Schild & Co. should have made them all fight it out in some sort of gladiatorial pit. Maybe the field could have been winnowed down until only one remained, a sort of idiot-champion of the great "Mark Jacobs look at MEEEE!" invasion of '08. Then they could go up against Grunk, AW, and maybe that "heavy hitters" guy in a four-way cage match of doom.

Two noobs enter, one noob leaves!

Over and out.
lac
Terracotta Army

Reply #797 on: October 25, 2008, 01:23:29 PM

This will be the biggest graveyard thread ever, won't it ACK!
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #798 on: October 25, 2008, 01:29:00 PM

This will be the biggest graveyard thread ever, won't it ACK!

Please. This one has a looong way to go.
mol
Terracotta Army

Reply #799 on: October 25, 2008, 02:20:18 PM

Too homoerotic.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #800 on: October 25, 2008, 09:45:37 PM

I'm happy how things have turned out - lots of amusement and some of the new blood might be interesting if they hang around. F13 is better off not being the cranky old men and women of the internet all the time.

Meldrath

Email
Reply #801 on: October 26, 2008, 02:07:23 AM

What the hell was this? Some sort of semi-roleplaying?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 06:14:02 AM by schild »
mol
Terracotta Army

Reply #802 on: October 26, 2008, 09:05:00 PM

What the hell was this? Some sort of semi-roleplaying?

As one of the new people I just want to disclose that I am both cranky, and old.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #803 on: October 26, 2008, 09:09:04 PM

Someone made an RP post on f13 and you DELETED it? You should have denned it so we could all see.  cry

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #804 on: October 26, 2008, 09:18:33 PM

Someone made an RP post on f13 and you DELETED it? You should have denned it so we could all see.  cry
That's just how we roll.

*puts on sunglasses, rides motorcycle out of thread*

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 29 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: State of The Game - Mark Jacobs  
Jump to: