Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:25:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Big Update 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Big Update  (Read 29591 times)
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #70 on: October 03, 2008, 06:00:54 PM

The presence of weapon skill on caster top end RVR sets is indeed puzzling.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: October 03, 2008, 07:09:46 PM

It raises parry, so it's not an altogether bad thing.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Seanzor
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: October 04, 2008, 12:30:06 AM

It raises parry, so it's not an altogether bad thing.
Sure, it's not - until I get a random green with the stats that matter more, and end up wearing it over a dungeon drop or RR piece because Mythic couldn't figure out the lesson that Blizzard learned before WAR even entered development.
schild
Administrator

Reply #73 on: October 04, 2008, 12:50:03 AM

That's the great thing about shitloads of loot. Sometimes blue will be worse than green. I don't see the problem.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: October 04, 2008, 01:20:52 AM

Doesn't excuse the fact that itemization is horrible for some classes.

As an ironbreaker, I need two sets: toughness/wounds/initiative (for tanking) and strength (for damage). About the only piece of renown gear that fits the bill is the 2h axe (and the trinkets). I can live with some toughness/wounds/init on damage gear (even though it gimps it compared to green drops, it makes it more "well-rounded", whatever), but willpower and weapon skill are blah. For an ironbreaker, WS only gives parry, since you should have a 75% stone breaker on your target at all times (and the armor penetration for WS is multiplicative, not additive).

As a runepriest, it's even worse. RP damage is completely gimp, and the only use for +int gear is ensuring that CC spells don't get resisted (and soloing, but soloing as a RP sucks anyway). For pvp, the two necessary stats are willpower (very important) and toughness/wounds, with int as a distant fourth. So the runepriest renown gear is loaded with int, initiative, toughness, and most of it doesn't have any willpower at all.   I end up having to pve just to get good pvp gear, which is very... pre-BC WOWish of them. Ohhhhh, I see.

-- Z.

Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #75 on: October 04, 2008, 02:40:07 AM

And, of course, in November, you've got an automatic death sentence for this game.

You should write all this up and title it, Seanzor Doomcasts WAR.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #76 on: October 04, 2008, 02:54:12 AM

Linky

Quote from: MarkJacobsEA
Folks,

Well, considering how well we did with the last patch I would expect a certain amount of skepticism from you but here's a few highlights from next week's patch (not counting hot fixes or hot pockets):

1) Another round of CTD, general memory usage improvements and lag improvements.

2) A foray into the whole "AFKers in scenarios suck!" issue with some changes to the scenario code.

3) Introduction of exp. bonuses to people who create toons on population-challenged servers. This is the first of many steps to help keep the populations more balanced. As always, baby steps.

4) Another round of anti-spammer code going in. This should greatly limit their ability to bother you, that's my job.

5) We're looking at changing how the need/greed looting options work in scenarios only. We are thinking about disallowing the need option for people who can't use the item. Again, this is for scenarios only and I already know the argument "I need it for my alt" etc. and we are still thinking about it.

6) Correct the bug that prevent the correct number of guilds from joining an alliance.

Those are *some* of the highlights from next week's patch. If it goes as badly as the last one, feel free to say hi to me as I run screaming into the woods. 

Mark
schild
Administrator

Reply #77 on: October 04, 2008, 02:58:25 AM

6) Correct the bug that prevent the correct number of guilds from joining an alliance.

Thank god.

3) Introduction of exp. bonuses to people who create toons on population-challenged servers. This is the first of many steps to help keep the populations more balanced. As always, baby steps.

This needs to be SIGNIFICANT and effect all of order or whoever on every server. Not just new toons.

2) A foray into the whole "AFKers in scenarios suck!" issue with some changes to the scenario code.

I'm going to guess they're going to sneak in a fix for people in their own groups. In which case, looks like I need to get to 40 fast. ^_^
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: October 04, 2008, 04:01:42 AM

Quote from: MarkJacobsEA
5) We're looking at changing how the need/greed looting options work in scenarios only. We are thinking about disallowing the need option for people who can't use the item.

Why wasn't it like this in the first place? I don't give a shit if your alt "needs" it, bring your fucking alt on and play with it, if it needs gear so badly.

That has always pissed me off, it is a bullshit excuse to need something anyway.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Xenomorph
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: October 04, 2008, 04:46:31 AM

Yeah, I mentioned it in my beta feedback, and I'm sure a lot of other people did too. Kind of troubling that they're only "looking into" it at this point, but a turnaround time of a few months on boneheaded design decisions still beats Blizzard's "we're not fixing anything unless people cancel over it" approach. (Not saying that Mythic won't adopt the same strategy once the game's a few months older. Now is definitely the time to hold their feet to the fire.)

Re: Schild's comment, I don't see this as having anything to do with people soloing in scens. Soloing as an afker gets you nothing--dropping group when you have an afker in it is a good way to minimize the effect of their leeching. Soloing's really only viable if you outperform the rest of your group. (In Highpass last night, a triple IB + RP premade group was running around pwning and got about the same amount of XP/ren as I did. Seems fair.)
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: October 04, 2008, 05:32:20 AM

Thank god.

This needs to be SIGNIFICANT and effect all of order or whoever on every server. Not just new toons.

I'm going to guess they're going to sneak in a fix for people in their own groups. In which case, looks like I need to get to 40 fast. ^_^

btw they already did this.. I noticed yesterday I would kill someone and a 2000 xp would pop up.. but I was only getting 1000xp... they nerfed it by 50%.
Seanzor
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: October 04, 2008, 09:38:07 AM

btw they already did this.. I noticed yesterday I would kill someone and a 2000 xp would pop up.. but I was only getting 1000xp... they nerfed it by 50%.

They didn't nerf shit.  I hit 32 yesterday, got ~30-33k from multiple Tor Anrocs, rolling solo, as always.  I was getting 28-33k since level 27.

What you're noticing is that the scoreboard doesn't post your rested xp bonus on the board, but you still get it credited to your character.

That said, if they do fix the ability to roll solo as a DPS all-star and take everyone's xp for yours (which they absolutely should do, classes like WPs and WHs get a deep dick from the way things work currently), they need to at least fucking double the amount of xp one gets from each scenario.  I was barely able to grit my teeth and do 27-31 getting like 28k xp per scenario, averaging wins and losses (and including the two quests).  If I were instead getting... what, 10k xp on average? My fucking Tier 1 BW gets >10k, in Nordenwatch; there's no fucking way I'd play through that bullshit in T3 when I need 1000% more xp to level. 

I would have done the math, said, oh, I need to do 58 Tor Anrocs to hit 30 - FUCK THAT.

edit:

That's the great thing about shitloads of loot. Sometimes blue will be worse than green. I don't see the problem.
The problem is that it makes Mythic look stupid - intentional or not, either way it looks bad.  And we're not talking about Influence rewards, we're talking about the major sets for each class.  It also makes things pretty boring - why do the fancy shit when the best pieces of loot are the greens that drop off anything?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 10:28:21 AM by Seanzor »
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #82 on: October 04, 2008, 10:36:24 AM

Well, they're gonna screw tanks scenario gains with all the emphasis on DPS & Heals only. That said, I haven't killed a destro player since Iv'e hit 32 either.
I'll just grind my way to 40 thanks.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Seanzor
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: October 04, 2008, 10:38:12 AM

Well, they're gonna screw tanks scenario gains with all the emphasis on DPS & Heals only. That said, I haven't killed a destro player since Iv'e hit 32 either.

You're a sick, sick man.  You and Kayle both - no clue how you stomach a grind like that.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: October 04, 2008, 10:41:45 AM

You're a sick, sick man.  You and Kayle both - no clue how you stomach a grind like that.

Umm you play WoW....  That was more grindy to me then War.
Seanzor
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: October 04, 2008, 10:57:32 AM

WoW isn't grindy.  Getting to 70 took less time than getting to 40 in WAR (it also *felt* FAR less grindy), and I got all my honor (250-300k) AFKing in AV while working, doing chores, reading... doing whatever.  It was like UO all over again.

Besides, I play DOTA, not WoW.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: October 04, 2008, 11:02:37 AM

WoW isn't grindy.  Getting to 70 took less time than getting to 40 in WAR (it also *felt* FAR less grindy), and I got all my honor (250-300k) AFKing in AV while working, doing chores, reading... doing whatever.  It was like UO all over again.

Besides, I play DOTA, not WoW.

It's all about preferrence then.. I've quit wow about 4 times already and my only toon is at like 68.  I only resub because of friends.. and then even if I reach 70 I'd still have to grind out for gear before I could even play with them in the raids they are doing.  The mob grinding in WoW is like 10 times worse then it is in War.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: October 04, 2008, 11:26:57 AM

I find WoW way more grindy, but then I don't like WoW. I hate solo quest grinding. I level to adventure with friends and I use questhelper and a levelling guide.

I feel similarly about War's PVE, but the PVP is worth it to me. I just wish there was more world rvr and less scenario stuff.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Seanzor
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: October 04, 2008, 11:54:30 AM

I find WoW way more grindy, but then I don't like WoW. I hate solo quest grinding. I level to adventure with friends and I use questhelper and a levelling guide.

I feel similarly about War's PVE, but the PVP is worth it to me. I just wish there was more world rvr and less scenario stuff.

Hey, to each their own.

World RvR will be non-existent pre-40 until they change the xp/renown rewards.  The renown is a faction of what you can get from doing scenarios in the time it takes to grab a keep, and the xp is pretty much nil.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #89 on: October 04, 2008, 03:13:01 PM

IMO they really do need to fix the dropping group thing. Way to screw the healers over.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: October 04, 2008, 03:20:41 PM

IMO they really do need to fix the dropping group thing. Way to screw the healers over.

I hope they don't. Puggies keep doing it to me, and I damn well hope to be able to repay the favor once I'm 40.
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: October 04, 2008, 04:21:07 PM

5) We're looking at changing how the need/greed looting options work in scenarios only. We are thinking about disallowing the need option for people who can't use the item. Again, this is for scenarios only and I already know the argument "I need it for my alt" etc. and we are still thinking about it.

I'm not sure why there is even a choice in scenarios.  In PVE groups let the group leader set the looting format (visible when you look at open groups) in scenarios everyone rolls on everything by default, and groups in warbands use the need/greed pop up.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: October 04, 2008, 04:42:35 PM

There's always some tool who hits need on crap and honestly, having the thing pop up in the middle of combat is a PITA. Sometimes I'm just hitting a button to make it go away, God only knows what I've passed on that I could have used.

Hayduke
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: October 04, 2008, 05:51:38 PM

Yes, I've accidently needed on something that I couldn't even use.  I wish they'd just hold the rolls till the end of the match instead of popping it up in the middle of a fight.
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: October 04, 2008, 05:54:55 PM

Items in scenarios should just be automatically randomly assigned to someone.  Drama and hassle gone.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: October 04, 2008, 06:26:22 PM

Items in scenarios should just be automatically randomly assigned to someone.  Drama and hassle gone.

I really don't get why they have them at all, isn't that what renown is for?

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: October 04, 2008, 06:27:04 PM

Oh come on. Throw them all up on a list at the end of the scenario.. give people 30 seconds to fish through them find anything they like... give them, say, two or three priority votes for stuff they want and then it adds those as bonuses to random rolls. Basically what (yikes) Fury did.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #97 on: October 04, 2008, 07:39:49 PM

There's always some tool who hits need on crap and honestly, having the thing pop up in the middle of combat is a PITA. Sometimes I'm just hitting a button to make it go away, God only knows what I've passed on that I could have used.

oh yeah i had one occasion where this armour is a set pc for my chosen. And I actually greed it. And nobody rolled need. I lost and managed to ask for it from the winner. He was nice enough to trade it to me. :)

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: October 04, 2008, 09:52:16 PM

I really don't get why they have them at all, isn't that what renown is for?

The whole point is to give people loot and money for killing other PC's in pvp.  What's not to like?  Then again, I guess there's gotta be at least one person to complain about each part of the game.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: October 05, 2008, 03:43:42 PM

I like other players dropping stuff--I'd just rather they assigned it scenario-wide (rather than to a single party) and on first look, only to characters that can equip what dropped. If there are none who can, then roll greed/need for everyone else.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #100 on: October 05, 2008, 05:51:11 PM

Oh come on. Throw them all up on a list at the end of the scenario.. give people 30 seconds to fish through them find anything they like... give them, say, two or three priority votes for stuff they want and then it adds those as bonuses to random rolls. Basically what (yikes) Fury did.

Fury did some great things when it came to PvP. Unfortunately <insert lessons of history here>.

I've had opponents get the drop on me in RvR because I've ahd the need / greed window pop up and I actually take the time to check if I can use the item. It'd be quicker for me to need / greed everything rather than look at it and pass.

Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: October 06, 2008, 06:23:41 AM

I just greed everything because I don't want to take the time in the middle of a fight to check it out and the few times I've tried I've screwed up and needed crap I couldn't use for example, the axe is the dwarf's iconic weapon so naturally it was only after I needed one that I found out that there are some in the game that they can't use.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: October 06, 2008, 06:27:23 AM

The pve players will return to WOW. The rvr people will stay in Warhammer. The end.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: October 06, 2008, 06:30:39 AM

Having it pop up at the end would be an improvement. I think the whole system is kind of messed up though. You're not looting the enemy players, it's a pseudo-random reward for playing the game. You might as well just move to a point system and let people get stuff they like.

pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: October 06, 2008, 05:56:02 PM

Having it pop up at the end would be an improvement. I think the whole system is kind of messed up though. You're not looting the enemy players, it's a pseudo-random reward for playing the game. You might as well just move to a point system and let people get stuff they like.
Especially since, with the "damaged item" system they've got where you repair busted equipment into something appropriate for your class they have a PERFECT SYSTEM FOR ALLOWING APPROPRIATE LOOT IN EVERY SITUATION.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Big Update  
Jump to: