Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:27:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The Elder Scrolls Online 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 106 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls Online  (Read 755878 times)
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #525 on: October 24, 2012, 07:17:06 AM

Except maybe blackwulf, but if we all give him a group-hug I am sure he'll get over it.
He can suffer.  No group-hugs from me!  Muahahaha.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #526 on: October 24, 2012, 12:28:14 PM

Official community site is up. This is new, isn't it?

http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en/

EDIT: (No it's not)

Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #527 on: October 25, 2012, 08:19:59 AM

It's a time portal to mmo promo sites from 2004

enh, fuckit. this game ain't even worth making fun of anymore.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #528 on: October 25, 2012, 08:31:39 AM

I'm waiting for a video of the combat system.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #529 on: October 25, 2012, 12:23:06 PM

I'm waiting for a video of the combat system.

It'll be one of those things like when you look at Tera's mass pvp and have all those feelings about Why You Don't Do This Anymore™ dredged up.

Some real thin-slicing stuff.
blackwulf
Terracotta Army

Reply #530 on: October 26, 2012, 09:37:56 PM

All right, so my level of excitement for this game has gone through some phases.  When I first read about it in the leaked Game Informer article, I was pretty stoked.  Then E3 came, and no one was super impressed by what they saw.  Then 5 months of silence from Zenimax Online.  My level of excitement was waning to record low levels.

Then this recent hands on demonstration event occurred.  I know you guys don't follow all the news about this game like some of us do, and I can understand your underwhelmed attitude - but if you look at some of the reviews from the people that went to this hands on event with an open mind, you might find your interest picking up.

One example is this podcast - it's 2 hours long.  I didn't think I would listen to the whole thing, but I turned it on while I was catching up on some grading and it was actually really interesting.

http://elderscrollsotr.mymiddleearth.com/2012/10/26/episode-43-hands-on-with-eso/

Some points they make that I hadn't heard before:

- The guy is a hard core Skyrim player (self described) and he says it felt like Skyrim, only better.  He makes a comment about going back to Skyrim and being annoyed that it isn't TESO.

- Tons of exploring, and no quest hubs - massive (their words) areas to explore

- They claim the graphics look even better in motion and that they are better than Skyrim.

- One of the other guys, who was also at the hands on, is a GW2 player and he addresses a lot of the comparisons between the two MMOs.  I won't go into all the details, but it was interesting that his perception was that, yes, they do have some similar systems (weapon based skills, synergies) but the TESO ones were far more sophisticated and in depth - he made the comparison of elementary school vs. college. (or something like that)

It goes on and on - character development, animations, etc.  It all was very positive, and these guys sound genuine.  Now, of course, they could be shills.  Yes, all the other people invited to this event and writing good reviews could be shills.  I just think that someone would say something negative - can you really buy all those guys off?  I mean like 40+ people from various websites and guilds?

Anyway, my excitement level is rising again.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #531 on: October 27, 2012, 05:11:45 AM

A guy from a website dedicated to TESO coverage does not have an "open mind" about whether it's good or not. He's already invested.

Which doesn't mean that he's wrong! I don't care. Nothing about this game is interesting to me right now, for good or ill, but I'd be thrilled if it ended up a good game. I like good games. But let's not act like a TESO fan site is somehow a neutral observer.
blackwulf
Terracotta Army

Reply #532 on: October 27, 2012, 05:38:12 AM

A guy from a website dedicated to TESO coverage does not have an "open mind" about whether it's good or not. He's already invested.

Which doesn't mean that he's wrong! I don't care. Nothing about this game is interesting to me right now, for good or ill, but I'd be thrilled if it ended up a good game. I like good games. But let's not act like a TESO fan site is somehow a neutral observer.

I get that, and I agree - but they had people there from Massively, MMORPG (yeah I know), MMO Reporter, MMO Attack, MMO Hut, MPOGD, RPG Gamer, RPG Fan, Strategy Informer, TenTon Hammer, ZAM - and a bunch of guilds and fan sites.  I've looked through most of the writeups from these people, and I can't find any negatives. 

I guess the point I was making in my previous post was not that the guys in that 2 hour podcast are objective, but that I don't think everyone who went to this event is likely to be reporting some positive lies about the game.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #533 on: October 27, 2012, 07:47:09 AM

Massively, MMORPG (yeah I know), MMO Reporter, MMO Attack, MMO Hut, MPOGD, RPG Gamer, RPG Fan, Strategy Informer, TenTon Hammer, ZAM - and a bunch of guilds and fan sites.  I've looked through most of the writeups from these people, and I can't find any negatives. 

All these people want to be invited back and what they see now can change substantially between then and launch. Plus its a studio with a lot of vocal fans. So comments are unlikely to be negative.

Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #534 on: October 27, 2012, 12:04:17 PM

I guess the point I was making in my previous post was not that the guys in that 2 hour podcast are objective, but that I don't think everyone who went to this event is likely to be reporting some positive lies about the game.

"Lies" is a strong word, but I hang out with too many fringe weirdos to put any weight behind the "everyone who was there says it so it must be true" gestalt argument.  Tell me what the game concepts are, show me what the graphics look like, but don't expect me to believe that it's all great just because some guy I've never met says he thinks they're better than Skyrim.

To be clear, I don't think the game sounds horrible (aside from shitting all over the idea of what the Elder Scrolls is about, which is totally fine if we get an awesome game out of it) but it does sound generic, unless there's something really groundbreaking announced in that podcast.  That's not an automatic fail, there are plenty of people out there who want another generic MMO.  But that means it does ultimately all come down to the implementation.  And I can't evaluate that at this point.  No amount of guys saying "no really, it's gonna be awesome, trust me" is going to change the fact that the game systems aren't finalized, the graphics aren't finished, and the content isn't complete.

I agree, it could be awesome.  I just have no proof that it will be (or won't be).  I guess we'll see.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #535 on: October 27, 2012, 11:20:58 PM

blackwulf
Terracotta Army

Reply #536 on: October 28, 2012, 11:41:54 AM

*edited this a bit, cause I had a reading comprehension failure.

I guess what struck me about all the recent positive reviews of the hands on demo for ESO is that this game was hammered by negative press in May.  I, being an optimist, focused on the few writeups that sounded good, but there were easily 5 negative writeups for every 1 positive.  So, I was rather suprised to see that every single write-up of the hands on demo was positive.  And they had people there from sources that gave them shit reviews in May (Massively for example.)

So, yeah - you can talk about how everyone loved Warhammer in their reviews, but this is a POST Warcraft and Warhammer world - and anyone who reviews a new game has those metrics and experiences as measuring points, also.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 11:45:32 AM by blackwulf »
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #537 on: October 28, 2012, 12:22:20 PM

Except WAR came out well post-WoW, still got glowing press early on, only to end up being much worse than WoW.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #538 on: October 29, 2012, 12:40:02 AM

Personally I'd rather read about the game rather than a meta-discussion of fanboydom.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #539 on: October 29, 2012, 01:34:23 AM

I get that, and I agree - but they had people there from Massively, MMORPG (yeah I know), MMO Reporter, MMO Attack, MMO Hut, MPOGD, RPG Gamer, RPG Fan, Strategy Informer, TenTon Hammer, ZAM - and a bunch of guilds and fan sites.  I've looked through most of the writeups from these people, and I can't find any negatives. 

awesome, for real

You mean people like this guy here?

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #540 on: October 29, 2012, 11:34:36 AM

I don't know when that image is going to get old, but I sure hope it's not any time soon.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #541 on: October 29, 2012, 04:37:19 PM

At this point the game needs more "show" and less "tell"

If they want people to buy into the new improved combat, show it to us. Show us the HUD. Show us the interactions. Don't show me cinematics. Don't tease.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #542 on: October 29, 2012, 10:01:43 PM

So, yeah - you can talk about how everyone loved Warhammer in their reviews, but this is a POST Warcraft and Warhammer world - and anyone who reviews a new game has those metrics and experiences as measuring points, also.

Warhammer launched after Age of Conan.

You clearly don't understand the unholy combination of fanboyism, patronage, and the developers ability to hid shit they don't want seen that produced the delightful little Warhammer surprise.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 10:10:55 PM by Sheepherder »
schild
Administrator

Reply #543 on: October 30, 2012, 06:20:17 AM

:(
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #544 on: November 08, 2012, 07:55:43 AM

New Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_Fr6VF_1LA

Check out our first video of The Elder Scrolls Online—a documentary-style introduction to the game, presented by members of The Elder Scrolls Online Development Team. This video covers the basics of ESO, including a first look at the game's Elder Scrolls-style combat system, massive PvP battles, Megaserver technology, exploration-based content, and much more.

This video is the first in a series of regular content and video updates on ElderScrollsOnline.com. Check the site regularly for more!

Not sure what I think of the graphics, they aren't bad but there's something about them.  They did an awful job showing off combat.  It's just mobs and pcs standing around swinging every 3 seconds.

We get a glimpse of "pvp" but it's a retarded setup of 100 people standing in a row and someone yelling charge.  Then everyone is just standing around doing nothing.  You do get a good look at animations and stuff which aren't great, but they aren't super bad either.  A lot of the spell/skill particle effects look terrible though.

In the end:
I like the world detail and graphics.
"Mega server" idea looks cool.
Combat Animations and effects look awful.
Combat itself looks like shit even if it's "action-y".
blackwulf
Terracotta Army

Reply #545 on: November 08, 2012, 08:00:24 AM

Looks good to me. Seems clear it isn't Hero engine. See all those toons on screen at once? I like the graphics too.maybe it just isn't your taste, Draegan.
veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #546 on: November 08, 2012, 08:12:08 AM

I thought the graphics for the most part looked pretty good at least but the animations were a little painful to watch. Hopefully that gets fixed/changed. Combat didn't look all that exciting but not going to take too much away from just that video. I will say that video didn't really excite me.
blackwulf
Terracotta Army

Reply #547 on: November 08, 2012, 08:18:09 AM

I thought the animations were fine, but agree that some of the combat looked scripted. It is pre alpha, so to me it looks fantastic overall.I'm pretty impressed by all the things that are already done and fairly polished looking.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #548 on: November 08, 2012, 09:19:25 AM

The animations didn't look that bad to me, nor did the graphics. The biggest problem I saw is that it looks just like every other Fantasy MMO currently on the market. There wasn't anything in that video to distinguish it.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #549 on: November 08, 2012, 09:37:43 AM

Video is disappointing in all possible ways, mostly because not one single thing stands out from what is already available. That said, it's pre-alpha so I won't bash it based on guts feeling. Game could still be awesome regardless of what it looks like. But to be excited about that video, or the words they are using to sell it, definitely requires lots of blind faith in the franchise and a good amount of delusion-inspired enamorment.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #550 on: November 08, 2012, 09:40:54 AM

That combat is, not what it should have.

Its a less complicated AOC like system it seems. Only, no mobs try to dodge, move, or flank you, nor do they react to your hits at all.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #551 on: November 08, 2012, 10:32:04 AM

I want to see more about the developed combat and the pvp. The PvE is going to be the same shit as everything else, and if that's their focus they are doomed.

The PvP has a shot if it's based on a combat system that's more on the typical Elder Scrolls system, and not just target-swing-block.

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #552 on: November 08, 2012, 10:43:17 AM

All in all the introduction video reminded me of AoC. The $1k question is whether  it's the "Tortage-experience" or what came after it...
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #553 on: November 08, 2012, 11:55:14 AM

The PvE is going to be the same shit as everything else

It Really, Really does not have to be.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #554 on: November 08, 2012, 12:02:14 PM

So instead of dungeons and raiding it could be...<insert what here>?

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #555 on: November 08, 2012, 12:11:56 PM

It is going to be dungeons and raiding, but it sounds like both WOW models and GW2 models.  I thought I heard of something that is going to be some instance you can join with a shit ton of people to kill bad guys.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #556 on: November 08, 2012, 12:20:30 PM

I'm more interested in whether they can make a good pvp metagame (and actually have hundred players on screen without significant problems). While GW2 fills my pvp-craving at the moment, it does suffer from "culling" (and some other less important problems) and if ESO launches next year (or relatively soon anyway) it might be the next mmo for me (if it delivers on large-scale pvp).
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #557 on: November 08, 2012, 12:54:40 PM

So instead of dungeons and raiding it could be...<insert what here>?

More like its namesakes? Its the combat I have issue with, is a click click combat, but its nothing like the reactions you get from the other titles. They just stand there, cycling animations. If mobs flanked, blocked, reacted to hits, ETC...

What this seems to be is standard MMO mobs and behavior with a "actiony" combat. Net result: I stand here and click at him,. May as well put the TAB target back in. DDO does what was shown in that video better, but that's still not like this series should be. Hell, Mortal online does this better.

It feels like they are scared to go beyond standard MMO combat, but will put a sheen over it so you think its marginally different. Not sure if its because they think MMO players EXPECT dumb, stand around AI or what....

Don't say skyrim combat can't be done. Because it can.

Hell: http://www.chivalrythegame.com/

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare Launch Trailer

While not as complicated as Mount and Blade, still really visceral combat that is more in line with the The Elder Scrolls line. That alone will make killing a mob way more fun than ever increasing numbers and more and more rats that are stupid to fight. You do not need fifty billion kill quests when you have a good combat system that makes each fight interesting.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 01:08:18 PM by Mrbloodworth »

blackwulf
Terracotta Army

Reply #558 on: November 08, 2012, 05:52:55 PM

Eh, I dunno.  I think if you really didn't see something in that video that makes you at least a bit excited, you need to ask yourself if you even like MMOs or ES anymore.  Maybe you outgrew them.  Maybe you need a break.  I skipped the whole WOW seen (thank you DAOC addiction) and have been playing DDO and other, newer games very lightly over the last few years, and at this point I'm ready to sink myself into a nice new AAA MMO.

You guys who are saying this video looks 'terrible' are in a tiny minority from what I've seen on other sites.  Bloodworth - your predictions about mobs just standing there and not doing anything like flanking or using abilities is complete opposite to all the play test reviews that are out there.  I agree the video made it seem like this, but I'm hoping it was just a limitation of the POV, and the fact that they only showed a few seconds worth of each fight.  You should read a few, or at least listen to a few (there are podcasts and youtube vids) if you can't be bothered to read them.

I thought it looked awesome.  I'm excited for many things:

1. Character advancement and diversification via many pathways: a. leveling where assign points to magicka, stamina or health b. level skills gained through weapon choice, class, armor choice, stat assignment c. perks (lycanthropy and vampirism confirmed!), and, d. rvr renown.

2. Beautiful graphics and smooth animations - did you see them jumping into the lake?  The world graphics look just as good or better than ES titles.  Pre-alpha, without all the options on, I'm sure.  LOL - if you say this game looks like crap, you either need to download a higher res version of the video, or you just cannot be pleased.  For a game that allows hundreds of characters on screen, they looked pretty damn good.

3. RVR done right - 3 factions, destructible environments, capturable points of interest like keeps, towers, trade stations, villages.

4. RVR zone that IS an adventure zone complete with pve quests, dungeons, and towns.  I can't fucking wait to hunt some damn elves (of course I'm playing an orc!) down while they try to farm x mob for x quest.

5. No overt quest hubs!  The UI with the POI compass look awesome.

6. Megaserver - need I say more?  I think 50% of WAR's crash and burn was due to too many servers during the opening rush.  Ghosttowns are no fun.  The tech for the megaserver sounds great; they'll be able to flag zones with variable player caps so that deserted castles seem deserted and towns seem bustling.  You'll meet people with your preferences and you'll always be with your friends.

7. Looser trinity, but still there - if you are a fighter and you spend some time learning to use that heal staff, you can fill in for a healer in a pinch for adventuring or pvp.  No, you can never be as good as a real healer, but it will be damn nice to not have annoying ass LFM up for 2 hours while you try to build the perfect group.

8. Clean engine with a clean server code from the ground up built for this game.  Goodbye SWTOR and DDO with your janky ass kludged on code.

Ahh, I can go on and on, but let me be the first (on these forums) to say that I've seen and heard enough to predict this game is going to be great.  You can all mark this post for posterity.

Cheer up, Bloodworth - you seem so very disgruntled.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #559 on: November 08, 2012, 05:57:11 PM

Game is pretty. Concerned about the animations, and I still think the faction split is dumb.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 106 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The Elder Scrolls Online  
Jump to: