Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:35:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The Elder Scrolls Online 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 106 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls Online  (Read 755814 times)
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #280 on: May 17, 2012, 05:11:16 AM

“The name says it all. The Aldmeri Dominion wants to dominate the world. They plan on taking over the world. Submit or die,” explains game director Matt Firor. “The Aldmeri Dominion is like, ‘we’re going to kill everyone that isn’t us. You people are going to help us or else.’”

That's HEAVY, dude. Rawr.
Well, see, they're a DOMINION. And they're like, angry. Angry elves who like to dominate.

Fuck. Its a BDSM club run by elves.

I see how they'll sell the game now.
To be fair, in the actual Elder Scrolls lolore the dominion is literally that. They're super-racists that want to grind the rest of the world under their bootheel.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #281 on: May 17, 2012, 05:58:39 AM

Yeah I can really see a bunch of racists letting in the Cat people.  Ohhhhh, I see. Besides, the Kajit wouldn't want to kill you. Whose shit would they steal if you're dead?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

And I liked oblivion combat. It actually gave some benefits to going unarmoured, in that you could jump around a lot higher which suited my "I'm a frog vit lightning bolts!" combat style and your spells hit harder. In Skyrym, much as I like the game, your armour makes sod all difference to manoeuvrability aside from what perks you want and it makes no difference whatsoever to spellcasting.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 08:13:27 AM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #282 on: May 17, 2012, 06:27:38 AM

The Kahjit being in the dominion is kinda confusing, yeah.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #283 on: May 17, 2012, 06:45:29 AM

Were I to even consider playing it, the faction set-up would cause all kinds of splits with friends.  (And Khajit-lovers getting stuck with the elves.  Hah!)  As if we didn't have enough problems deciding on a side in two faction systems...

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #284 on: May 17, 2012, 07:09:51 AM

I would F-ing love a 4-8 player Oblivion.

4 Seems to be the magic number these days though.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #285 on: May 17, 2012, 07:53:44 AM

I would F-ing love a 4-8 player Oblivion.

4 Seems to be the magic number these days though.

I like to think of it when people go out to drink or party. Anything over 3-4 people becomes harder to manage out on the town.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #286 on: May 17, 2012, 08:43:58 AM

Were I to even consider playing it, the faction set-up would cause all kinds of splits with friends.  (And Khajit-lovers getting stuck with the elves.  Hah!)  As if we didn't have enough problems deciding on a side in two faction systems...

Yeah. This is the problem with coming into something which has 20 years of NOT picking factions behind it. Every prospective buyer already knows what they're used to when it comes to TES racial dynamics. They have their favorite races to play and it's never, ever mattered beyond storyline purposes. Now? Oh, glad you like Dunmer and your wife likes Argonians. Too bad.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #287 on: May 17, 2012, 10:11:38 AM

Well, Dunmer and Argonians are the same faction, but that's even worse -- take two of the most popular races and put them together.  Sprinkle everything else amongst the others.

Dunmer + Argonians + Nord = Two games worth of races whose regions were the focus plus one of the unique beast races.

Khajit + Elves + Other Elves = Other beast race and fucking elves.

Orcs + Humans + Other Humans = Orcs are kind of cool.  Humans?  Yawn.

Now if players can make whatever and choose to join one of these factions that are dominated by NPCs of the races, that might mitigate it a little.  But only a little.

Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #288 on: May 17, 2012, 01:01:27 PM

A better solution would have been anything else.
Now if players can make whatever and choose to join one of these factions that are dominated by NPCs of the races, that might mitigate it a little.  But only a little.

You should show up and ask for some fucker's job.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #289 on: May 17, 2012, 01:36:47 PM

The Kahjit being in the dominion is kinda confusing, yeah.

I'd argue it depends on which version of the Khajiit they're using.  In the original Arena, they were basically identical to wood elves (there were "legends" that they were descended from desert cats, but otherwise humanoid), it wasn't until Morrowind that they went full furry.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #290 on: May 17, 2012, 09:40:21 PM

The "full furry" Khajiit are what probably 80% or more of TES players are familiar with, so it's probably a pretty safe bet that's what they'll go with. I would be stunned if they even acknowledge the various Khajiit breeds they came up with to explain why Khajiit are suddenly actual cat-people with barbed penises.

Then again, this game throws out pretty much everything else TES players would find familiar, so who the hell knows.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #291 on: May 18, 2012, 02:19:10 PM

The Ebonheart Pact (Dunmer, Nord, Argonian) :

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/the_elder_scrolls_online/b/pc/archive/2012/05/18/elder-scrolls-online-faction-profile-ebonheart-pact.aspx

“About 50 years prior to the game, an Akaviri invasion came in and basically tried to take over,” says creative director Paul Sage. “What happens now is that the Dunmer and the Nords have formed an alliance because the attack was so bad that they realized they were weak to the Imperial rise. So they form an alliance of convenience with the Argonians. They’re surrounded by all these tides of opposing forces. They feel really threatened, so the Ebonheart’s entire purpose is to band together and make sure they’re no longer in danger.”

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #292 on: May 19, 2012, 03:50:55 AM

Game Informer posted another interview with Matt Firor; they talk a bit more about what we can expect in ESO in terms of gameplay: it's now Firor's turn to tell what exactly MMOs have done wrong in the last 10 years or so, and as usual, he has a SOLUTION.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/05/17/what-makes-the-elder-scrolls-online-a-modern-mmo.aspx

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Tyrnan
Terracotta Army

Reply #293 on: May 19, 2012, 04:38:44 AM

So, raiding aside, the whole interview pretty much boils down to "I read the ArenaNet manifesto and went fuck yeah!" or am I missing something?

Full rewards for helping out other players? Check. Exploration driven, hubless questing? Check. Solo, instanced questing for the major story quests? Check.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #294 on: May 19, 2012, 07:57:53 AM

Yeah none of that sounds great. Many v. Many raids? PvE with instancing to keep it feeling like you're hero? That's not innovative, Matt. You are the guy walking into a brainstorm session talking about this great new idea of allowing users to send messages to each other via their phones!

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #295 on: May 19, 2012, 11:43:57 AM

The problem with that entire interview is the same problem with the entire swath of information that's being put out there. It's all spoken in the language of MMO. The game design is constrained by the legacy problems MMO's have - it can't be innovative at all, because all it's doing is taking what's been done before and iterating on it. The language is restrictive and can't conceive of something outside the normal range of MMO concepts.

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #296 on: May 19, 2012, 01:49:53 PM

Skyrim was innovative (in ways) and it's highly polished.  How can they have such a difference in offerings?  It's a ridiculous comparison, but reading all this it feels like holding an iPhone4 to a Newton.  Releasing something as beautiful and great as Skyrim from the same company that's promising DAoC2 is just bizarre.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #297 on: May 19, 2012, 02:36:59 PM

Same publisher, not same studio.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #298 on: May 19, 2012, 07:27:32 PM

Man I keep hoping something good will come up, something promising.

Different developer sure, but nobody seems to be managing the ES brand here. You can do whatever you want with a brand if you own it of course. And it's not like the ES series is a paragon of game mechanic consistency and narrative. Shit, I couldn't even tell you what the damned scrolls were.

But brand equity requires some consistency, some foundation upon which others look and say "yep, that's an ES game". And it needs to be good. Nothing kills a brand better than a bad experience.

And here, worse for them, the only people who are even aware of an ESO are likely fairly knowledgable about both MMO and RPG.
Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #299 on: May 19, 2012, 08:09:38 PM

To me TES was always about solo play. I mean every game in series is single character in a huge sandbox world. No parties ,companions ,etc  (well skyrim has optional companions , but that doesnt count). Now MMOs?- MMOS is all about other people. And well you know what hell is?

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #300 on: May 20, 2012, 11:02:19 AM

Which will matter exactly fuckall to the mouth-breathers out there, which is almost all of them.

koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #301 on: May 20, 2012, 11:12:24 AM

Which will matter exactly fuckall to the mouth-breathers out there, which is almost all of them.

Precisely. Anything bad that comes out of ESO will reflect badly on Bethsoft and not Zenimax Online Studios.

I mean look how many people still, years later, think Bethsoft developed New Vegas. It's pretty staggering.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #302 on: May 20, 2012, 07:27:18 PM

And the same Bioware developed DA2, ME3 and SWTOR  Ohhhhh, I see.

Just another brand damaged is all.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #303 on: May 20, 2012, 10:57:07 PM

To me TES was always about solo play. I mean every game in series is single character in a huge sandbox world. No parties ,companions ,etc  (well skyrim has optional companions , but that doesnt count). Now MMOs?- MMOS is all about other people. And well you know what hell is?

Yeah.  I mean, I could see a co-op version being fun, but it's the sandbox that makes TES games fun.  I like being able to murder a whole village on a whim and see permanent consequences.  I like being stupidly overpowered in some ways, and underpowered in others.  I like the world feeling natural, not just a series of quest hubs and respawning bullshit.  I like being able to change my "alignment" on the fly.  I like being able to wander the wilderness knowing that I am not going to run across a bunch of dickheads.  I like gear not being terribly important, but being fun to collect and create nonetheless.  I like the idea of being able to mod the game, even if I only use a few of them.

In short, everything that makes Skyrim fun will not be in this game.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #304 on: May 21, 2012, 12:29:30 AM

I really don't see why they can't just call it DAoC2 and be done with it, it should be more than enough of a brand name at this point to get publicity all on its own, and (I assume) not starting out at such a negative level as they have when starting out with ES.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #305 on: May 21, 2012, 08:38:02 AM

Did DAOC have the range of Races that TES has. I mean you in TES have Viking Humans, Roman humans, Black Humans, British humans, Spanish Humans, Orcs, Light & Dark and Green Elves, Kilrathi and Gorns.

And you have a pretty decent history to ignore.

Hic sunt dracones.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #306 on: May 21, 2012, 11:13:45 AM

I really don't see why they can't just call it DAoC2 and be done with it, it should be more than enough of a brand name at this point to get publicity all on its own, and (I assume) not starting out at such a negative level as they have when starting out with ES.

Because they don't own the rights to DAOC?

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #307 on: May 21, 2012, 11:16:19 AM

Did DAOC have the range of Races that TES has. I mean you in TES have Viking Humans, Roman humans, Black Humans, British humans, Spanish Humans, Orcs, Light & Dark and Green Elves, Kilrathi and Gorns.

And you have a pretty decent history to ignore.

So, it's just Humans, Orcs, Elves, Kilrathi and Gorns?
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #308 on: May 21, 2012, 11:18:28 AM

DAOC started with 12 races (so 3 more than TES:O since you can't play Imperial) - only 6 of them were human, assuming you count Avalonians - and added several more in later expansions.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #309 on: May 21, 2012, 02:07:55 PM

Saracen
Highlanders
Britons
Avalonians

Norse
Troll
Dwarf
Kobold

Celt
Firbolg
Elf
Lurikeen

At release if I remember it all right.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #310 on: May 21, 2012, 04:20:02 PM

Sounds like they would have been better off going for DAOC if they wanted variety of races. But they could keep down costs of modling with using TES (a dark Elf is a darker High elf) maybe?

Hic sunt dracones.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #311 on: May 21, 2012, 04:20:45 PM

Again, they don't own DAOC.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #312 on: May 21, 2012, 04:29:00 PM

That hasn't stopped everyone trying to copy WoW.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #313 on: May 21, 2012, 05:13:00 PM

I might actually give a shit if it was DaoC 2 though. The setting is pretty neat.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #314 on: May 21, 2012, 10:10:37 PM

I really don't see why they can't just call it DAoC2

Because people are a lot more interested in a TES game and DAoC is an almost-forgotten title almost everywhere but here?  why so serious?

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 106 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The Elder Scrolls Online  
Jump to: