Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:47:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Bat Country: Order or Destruction? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Poll
Question: Which side would  you prefer Bat Country to be on?
Order. - 29 (38.2%)
Destruction. - 31 (40.8%)
I have no interest in joining Bat Country. - 16 (21.1%)
Total Voters: 76

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bat Country: Order or Destruction?  (Read 41909 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #35 on: August 20, 2008, 11:39:22 PM

How they actually PLAY is irrelevant. Just how they appear/feel.

Shining Warrior in Armor?
Smiting the Wicked?
Defending the Weak?
General Anti Undead/Demon shenanigans?

People play Paladins or the nearest Paladin class in spite of mechanics, not because of them. They're attracted to :

"Where is your faith on this dark day? Chaos rides against you – will you let these beasts destroy your hearths and homes, or will you trust in Sigmar and fight? Forward men, and drive back this Chaos rabble! For the Empire! For Sigmar!" 

The Myth and the Ideal.
Smiting the wicked also means smiting your own people in the Warhammer universe (think Witch Hunter). I.e. the concept of "lawful good" doesn't really apply in the WH world. At best you have people that are "lawful neutral". E.g. the Bretonnians aka your "knights in shining armor" use their slaves as cannon fodder. That's hardly "Paladin-like" behavior.
Unless they do it in the name of god. Is it in the name of god? I only know wh40k. And even then, only a little.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: August 21, 2008, 12:21:02 AM

Sigmar is there God Emperor dude. Roughly the same deal as the 40k Emperor.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #37 on: August 21, 2008, 12:21:59 AM

WH40K it would be for the Emperor (assuming you are talking about humans). In WH there are a bunch of different Empire gods but Sigmar would be predominate in the era WHO, I mean WAR, is set.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #38 on: August 21, 2008, 01:21:34 AM

I may bail on my standard MMO crowd to play this, but I wanna play Order. I change my vote!

Order's classes look much more interesting.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: August 21, 2008, 02:53:40 AM

Are you going to play Sigfried? or Roy? ... pansy.
LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: August 21, 2008, 03:51:00 AM

Where is option 4?

"Warhammer Online will be a boring pile of shit. I'm not shelling out $50 for another coaster."
tazelbain
Unknown

tazelbain

Reply #41 on: August 21, 2008, 06:40:08 AM

Where is option 4?

"Warhammer Online will be a boring pile of shit. I'm not shelling out $50 for another coaster."
Then use option 3.  There are plenty of other threads where you can piss and moan about WAR.

"Me am play gods"
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: August 21, 2008, 10:29:49 AM

Are you going to play Sigfried? or Roy? ... pansy.

I'm disappointed with all the healers on the Destruction side.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: August 21, 2008, 10:40:42 AM

You guys are mean, first you reccomended AoC to me......................

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
schild
Administrator

Reply #44 on: August 21, 2008, 10:53:00 AM

We play everything. What do you expect?
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: August 21, 2008, 10:56:41 AM

I like the idea of a White Lion as a melee DPS class with a pet.

I like the idea of the Warrior Priest as what a healing Paladin in WoW was trying to be.

I love Engineers - turrets are rad. Rune Priests are amazing, and I love throwing down giant runes on the ground that give buffs to everyone standing on them.

Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: August 21, 2008, 11:17:10 AM

My heart wants me to play a Squig Herder, but my ass wants a class that isn't getting it utterly owned in PvP.  So I'm torn, although ultimately Destruction looks much cooler. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: August 21, 2008, 11:21:00 AM

Squig Herders, while cool in concept, just don't seem that great. I clunked around with a Squig Herder for a bit.

The turret-style creatures (Magus demons, Engineer pets) seem a lot more useful than the go git 'em style pets.

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #48 on: August 21, 2008, 12:20:50 PM

My heart wants me to play a Squig Herder, but my ass wants a class that isn't getting it utterly owned in PvP.  So I'm torn, although ultimately Destruction looks much cooler. 

Pairing a squig herder with a zealot seems to work okay. I kept him healed, he kept sending out explody things and shooting. Much joy was had, many BWs fell down.

After playing a DoK and a Zealot, I'm not sure why any group would want the DoK.
amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: August 21, 2008, 12:27:43 PM

After playing a DoK and a Zealot, I'm not sure why any group would want the DoK.

Yeah, I kind of noticed this as well...  DoK and WP are the stereotypical "terrific soloers, but we don't want you in a group kthxbai" classes.  They remind me a lot of Ret pallies.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: August 21, 2008, 02:06:30 PM

I'm rallying behind the Order cause. Vote Order™ in '08.

I've actually found the Melee healers (Disciple, WP) to be pretty powerful, because they heal out of an entirely separate pool then their action points. They get an interruptable channel that funnels AP into their healing pool (as well as the standard abilities that fill it up), and they can take quite a beating on the front lines.

Nonentity
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: August 21, 2008, 04:04:54 PM

I don't know whether this is a deciding factor for you guys, but the mounts for dwarves are personal gyrocopters.

Just throwing that out there.

Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #52 on: August 21, 2008, 04:06:54 PM

If anyone is interested, I am bringing a bunch of the guys from my WoW guild over to WAR. Hat and Jayce where both in it, so they know some of the people. It is looking like we are playing Order.

If anyone is interested shoot me a PM.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: August 21, 2008, 04:30:49 PM

If anyone is interested, I am bringing a bunch of the guys from my WoW guild over to WAR. Hat and Jayce where both in it, so they know some of the people. It is looking like we are playing Order.

If I was in an order guild, I'd want to play a witch hunter- but that class will be filled with 100s of twelve year olds, along with the Bright Wizards.  And I pretty much hate all other Order classes. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #54 on: August 21, 2008, 04:38:19 PM

Tempting.  But Order? Gyah.  ELF LIONS.

-Rasix
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #55 on: August 21, 2008, 04:39:28 PM

I am predicting that the majority of "those kinds" of players will go Marauder and Dark Elf, and the ones that are left will be White Lions and Shadow Warriors.

Personally I am planning on playing a Warrior Priest. I will also end up making an alt on another server for Destruction and playing Zealot I think. Just cause I have had a mancrush on Chaos ever since I was a kid playing the Tabletop Warhammer.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #56 on: August 21, 2008, 04:40:38 PM

Tempting.  But Order? Gyah.  ELF LIONS.

I agree about Elf Lions, but I am more BURN, PURGE CLEANSE. Bring Truth to the Heretic With Fire And Steel!
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #57 on: August 21, 2008, 04:42:36 PM

Oh yeah, and the fact that in every poll and server population so far has had at best 60:40 Destruction:Order population imbalance. Do you really want to play in the "OMG EVIL!!! SPIKES AND SKULLZ WE ARE EVIL!!! LOLZ DEATHZOR!!!" zerg? Thats my main motivation for going Order.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: August 21, 2008, 04:43:54 PM

If I pick it up, I'll probably be an Archmage or a Runepriest. Someone has to rez all the Witch hunters and White lions.  Ohhhhh, I see.

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #59 on: August 21, 2008, 06:14:40 PM

They need Skaven. I mean, it'd be no worse shitting on the lore than having Greenskins and Dark Elves teaming up together.

Give me a Jezzail or Warpfire Thrower and I'll be happy, no matter how dull the game is.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #60 on: August 21, 2008, 06:16:56 PM

Oh yeah, and the fact that in every poll and server population so far has had at best 60:40 Destruction:Order population imbalance. Do you really want to play in the "OMG EVIL!!! SPIKES AND SKULLZ WE ARE EVIL!!! LOLZ DEATHZOR!!!" zerg? Thats my main motivation for going Order.

This won't stop me from rolling Order (I go where dwarves are, period) but these polls don't matter much. It was the same thing with WoW - website polls were all ORCS UNDEAD RAWR CRUSH and then the game released and everyone made night elf hunters. Order will have generally more people for the same reason the Alb zerg was huge in DAOC and the same reason Alliance has more people in WoW. Heck in a sense its why PotBS was overrun with British Navy and Pirates. People are attracted to the 'hero of the story' types more than they are anything else.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 06:19:25 PM by Ingmar »

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: August 21, 2008, 09:29:21 PM

This.

Calantus
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: August 21, 2008, 10:25:35 PM

This won't stop me from rolling Order (I go where dwarves are, period) but these polls don't matter much. It was the same thing with WoW - website polls were all ORCS UNDEAD RAWR CRUSH and then the game released and everyone made night elf hunters. Order will have generally more people for the same reason the Alb zerg was huge in DAOC and the same reason Alliance has more people in WoW. Heck in a sense its why PotBS was overrun with British Navy and Pirates. People are attracted to the 'hero of the story' types more than they are anything else.

But most PVP servers are horde-heavy or balanced. It's the PVEers that roll alliance much more often, and I doubt WAR is going to have a whole lot of PVE only players.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: August 21, 2008, 10:39:56 PM

There's nothing PvE only about the PvE servers in WoW though. Tons and Tons of people on PvE servers will engage in WoW's PvP. As evidenced by the pre BG-Clustering Queue times   ACK!

Calantus
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: August 21, 2008, 10:43:01 PM

0 battlegrounds at release. For a long time the only PVP outside of duels and the occasional flagged guy was to be had on the PVP servers.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: August 21, 2008, 10:51:14 PM

Or the massive TM Zergs going back and forth.

Those happened on PvE servers too  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #66 on: August 21, 2008, 11:21:52 PM

How they actually PLAY is irrelevant. Just how they appear/feel.

Shining Warrior in Armor?
Smiting the Wicked?
Defending the Weak?
General Anti Undead/Demon shenanigans?

People play Paladins or the nearest Paladin class in spite of mechanics, not because of them. They're attracted to :

"Where is your faith on this dark day? Chaos rides against you – will you let these beasts destroy your hearths and homes, or will you trust in Sigmar and fight? Forward men, and drive back this Chaos rabble! For the Empire! For Sigmar!" 

The Myth and the Ideal.
Smiting the wicked also means smiting your own people in the Warhammer universe (think Witch Hunter). I.e. the concept of "lawful good" doesn't really apply in the WH world. At best you have people that are "lawful neutral". E.g. the Bretonnians aka your "knights in shining armor" use their slaves as cannon fodder. That's hardly "Paladin-like" behavior.

As Trippy said, in WH smiting the wicked might mean burning down an entire village of otherwise innocent people - you wouldn't want the taint of Chaos to spread, would you?

I picked Destruction - that is such a better fit for F13.

However, if Order was the way to go... Witch Hunter.

stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: August 21, 2008, 11:25:52 PM

This.

Seconded.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #68 on: August 22, 2008, 12:23:48 AM

I have great faith in the gibbering, mouth breathing public to flock to humans and sissy elves.  I suppose the dark elves provide some sort of Drizzt counterbalance.  Dwarves are universally unpopular by most standards. Evil in PVP is a draw, but then all cream puff pvers and role play gimplets will flock to their white lions.

Like the subscription numbers (I'm not a big fan and even I have some moderate expectation this game will do well), I'm kind of at loss as to what will occur here.  I've been on huge underpopulated horde realms most of my time in WoW and my short time in DAoC was on Mid when they were the bitch realm.

undecided
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 12:37:18 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: August 22, 2008, 01:17:41 AM

Horde balance issues on PvP servers basically disappeared with Blood Elves.

Destruction's Elves aren't as well rounded as Blood Elves are (no tank, and lol DoK as a healer), but this is also a much more PvP-marketed game and they're in from the start.  Also, they're half-naked which is a boon.

I Heart Rune Priest though, so what the hell do I know?

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Bat Country: Order or Destruction?  
Jump to: