Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:27:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Blade & Soul In-Engine Footage (PS3/PC NCSoft MMOG) CLICK HERE. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blade & Soul In-Engine Footage (PS3/PC NCSoft MMOG) CLICK HERE.  (Read 179332 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #35 on: August 02, 2008, 10:20:38 AM

I expected that response. FFXI had... other problems. In fact, I'd say there was TOO MUCH thinking out of the FF box when they should've been embracing the box.

Edit: Clarity.
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: August 02, 2008, 10:24:14 AM

Heck, with this approach they could've made that trailed just full of tits and panning panty shots. That'd put lot of people in the groove too, and would tell as much about the actual game.
Sure sure... it's not an honest picture of the game. It's a lie... but it shows the potential of the game, rather than showing the potential of the animation, modeling, and production team in a movie-style trailer. That's what a gameply video should do, and this video does it well. Even at its most exciting, LotRO would never look this good. The action animations aren't so fluid as these, nor are the responses to hits or the "spellcasting". Instead LotRO "gaemplay" videos would probably concentrate on scenery and cinematic moments from the storyline quests... things the game does well.

And schild... don't forget Phantasy Star Online either. Console gameplay can be different from PC gameplay, but the grind? I imagine it will be exactly the same. It defines the MMOG genre.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
schild
Administrator

Reply #37 on: August 02, 2008, 10:35:22 AM

It's up to NCSoft to not be morons and alleviate the grind for America. I'm seriously hoping Sony has some help with that. I imagine they'd kill it right quick.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #38 on: August 02, 2008, 10:49:55 AM

It's up to NCSoft to not be morons and alleviate the grind for America.
I seriously doubt they've gotten any better since Lineage II, tbh  swamp poop
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: August 02, 2008, 12:25:09 PM

While the game looks fantastic, I wonder how much "cheating" they are doing with the art. A lot of the area's seem extremely flat, and the buildings seem to be 'fake', like how GuildWars does them (might as well be boulders for all the interacting you can do with them).

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #40 on: August 02, 2008, 04:08:26 PM

Yea, finally an MMORPG with an arcade fighting game-style combat look to it.
Didn't really see anything different from current MMOs there. So a character performs half a dozen of kicks when i use the skill instead of half dozen sword swings... same old shit with floating damage numbers.
It's the style that's different -- e.g. the models react when hit, there's a push back effect, the animations have that "sharp and fast" feel to them. It's like watching somebody play Soul Caliber but with more freeform movement.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #41 on: August 02, 2008, 04:10:17 PM

While the game looks fantastic, I wonder how much "cheating" they are doing with the art. A lot of the area's seem extremely flat, and the buildings seem to be 'fake', like how GuildWars does them (might as well be boulders for all the interacting you can do with them).
Well given how many polygons they used on the female models it makes sense that they would have to skimp in some of the other areas awesome, for real
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: August 02, 2008, 05:16:04 PM

I got bored after about a minute, is there any reason why I should care about this?

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #43 on: August 02, 2008, 05:18:24 PM

Not really, no.
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: August 02, 2008, 05:35:55 PM

PXIB PREDICTS:

In the beginning you will choose male or female who have the choice of three hairstyles and three hair colors apiece. All characters have a basic set of attacks, some sword based and some unarmed. I imagine you get these over the first several levels, perhaps the first week or so of gameplay. At that point you will choose a class and have the opportunity to start into one of the four or five specialties displayed in the video.

Each of these have a few impressive moves that fit into categories.
- Hit somebody multiple times, knocking them back.
- Throw them.
- Abuse them while they're on the ground.
- Big windup attack.
- Fast attack.

You will learn these in some ridiculously slow and tedious way... not picking up the really cool looking moves until you've been in grinding groups for upwards of three months.  It will also involve obscure, poorly clued quests in a vast but largely empty world. Much time will be spent running through crowds of monsters you don't want to fight. in 90% of all situations there will be two ideal moves you use over and over again, only using the other ones when you're bored and want to look cool... but they'll occasionally get you killed.

This will make you lose as much experience as you'd gained in tedious fighting for the past three hours.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: August 02, 2008, 05:44:40 PM

It's the style that's different -- e.g. the models react when hit, there's a push back effect, the animations have that "sharp and fast" feel to them. It's like watching somebody play Soul Caliber but with more freeform movement.
If you check it closely, there seems to be little of actual reaction to hits beyond few canned abilities that involve knock-back and apply animations to both characters. Regular hits don't invoke more from the target but girlish scream and a few particle effects. It is certainly nice, but nothing that wasn't already done in more elaborate fashion in say, Matrix Online. And yes, things are snappy and sharp looking but that's heavily edited trailer with cuts and camera work adding lot to the pace -- there isn't single shot of gameplay there that lasts more than couple of seconds, and pretty much each has a 'special' event in the focus (be it the mob death or character skill used) Suspect it makes things appear much more exciting than they actually are.

For example, this is what similar "sharp and fast" style atually looks like in the MMO, once you strip it out of some of the trailer magic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY75uSyATyg
and then when you actually play it, it turn into this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vulcrzDmB8
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 05:47:45 PM by tmp »
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: August 02, 2008, 06:14:53 PM

Btw, the official game page ( http://games.plaync.co.kr/bladeandsoul/ ) seems to have the trailer available in full resolution as download, and some screenshots. Screenshots give me that horrible feel that i used to get from the amateur Poser renders. On the plus side though, they seem to have replaced idea of titillating panty shots with half of said panties permanently on display  awesome, for real
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: August 02, 2008, 06:34:09 PM

If you check it closely, there seems to be little of actual reaction to hits beyond few canned abilities that involve knock-back and apply animations to both characters. Regular hits don't invoke more from the target but girlish scream and a few particle effects. It is certainly nice, but nothing that wasn't already done in more elaborate fashion in say, Matrix Online. And yes, things are snappy and sharp looking but that's heavily edited trailer with cuts and camera work adding lot to the pace -- there isn't single shot of gameplay there that lasts more than couple of seconds, and pretty much each has a 'special' event in the focus (be it the mob death or character skill used) Suspect it makes things appear much more exciting than they actually are.

For example, this is what similar "sharp and fast" style atually looks like in the MMO, once you strip it out of some of the trailer magic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY75uSyATyg
and then when you actually play it, it turn into this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vulcrzDmB8

Having played MxO for "too long", all of its notable animations were related to interlock (meaning: you're stuck in a death dance with another person while everyone else lobs spells and/or bullets at you).  The non-interlock ones were no more notable than the GE video you linked or some of the newer abilities in Wrath of the Lich King.

It's a trailer, I'm sure that it's not going to look "as good" all the time during gameplay, but the fact that there's something there to work "trailer magic" shouldn't be overlooked.

That said, I'm predisposed to liking this game's visuals.  I've always liked Hyung-Tae Kim's character designs when they didn't involve massive breasts.  To be honest, I'm not sure what's going on with the male models in that video as they're quite asstastic.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: August 02, 2008, 07:44:51 PM

Having played MxO for "too long", all of its notable animations were related to interlock (meaning: you're stuck in a death dance with another person while everyone else lobs spells and/or bullets at you).  The non-interlock ones were no more notable than the GE video you linked or some of the newer abilities in Wrath of the Lich King.
Absolutely; and i don't expect much more than that from this game. That is, if the animation sync is going to be good, i expect it to come with a catch (like MxO interlock, or it being limited to 1v1 'boss battles' like that one encounter featured in the trailer with 3-4 different characters) If there's no catch to such effect, then the actual in-game behaviour is likely to be more akin to what can be seen in that GE video i.e. simple knock-back effects and generic "reactions" to hits.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #49 on: August 02, 2008, 07:57:37 PM

I've seen plenty of this guy's art....while it's not technically poor....I cannot stand it; all the shirts with "headlights", upskirt shots, ultra-tight revealing underwear, etc etc

It's just too damn much. Also, he draws a lot of his females with extremely large hips. Not "Ooo, nice curvy hips" but Mutant Hips.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #50 on: August 02, 2008, 10:12:40 PM

PXIB PREDICTS:

In the beginning you will choose male or female who have the choice of three hairstyles and three hair colors apiece. All characters have a basic set of attacks, some sword based and some unarmed. I imagine you get these over the first several levels, perhaps the first week or so of gameplay. At that point you will choose a class and have the opportunity to start into one of the four or five specialties displayed in the video.

Each of these have a few impressive moves that fit into categories.
- Hit somebody multiple times, knocking them back.
- Throw them.
- Abuse them while they're on the ground.
- Big windup attack.
- Fast attack.

You will learn these in some ridiculously slow and tedious way... not picking up the really cool looking moves until you've been in grinding groups for upwards of three months.  It will also involve obscure, poorly clued quests in a vast but largely empty world. Much time will be spent running through crowds of monsters you don't want to fight. in 90% of all situations there will be two ideal moves you use over and over again, only using the other ones when you're bored and want to look cool... but they'll occasionally get you killed.

This will make you lose as much experience as you'd gained in tedious fighting for the past three hours.

So, basically, FFXI

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #51 on: August 03, 2008, 08:24:23 AM

I think the only jumping I saw were part of attacks.  I hate to admit it, but if I can't jump in the MMO, I can't play it long.  Having to walk 50 yards to get around a foot tall hedge/fence annoys me to no end.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: August 03, 2008, 09:05:12 AM

It's up to NCSoft to not be morons and alleviate the grind for America.
I seriously doubt they've gotten any better since Lineage II, tbh  swamp poop
According to what's been said about Aion, they're at least willing to try a WoW-style levelling curve.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #53 on: August 03, 2008, 09:41:00 AM

It's up to NCSoft to not be morons and alleviate the grind for America. I'm seriously hoping Sony has some help with that. I imagine they'd kill it right quick.

Wait... what?  ACK!  awesome, for real

schild
Administrator

Reply #54 on: August 03, 2008, 10:06:54 AM

Wait... what?  ACK!  awesome, for real

SCEA. Not SOE. Though, even SOE's latest offerings are less grindy than NCSoft stuff.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: August 03, 2008, 03:20:06 PM

Tell me that you're joking. You just forgot the green. I mean, that has got to be a mistranslation. No way a game developer could say such a thing.

Although, it might explain a thing or two...

-50 DKP.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #56 on: August 03, 2008, 08:40:08 PM

I'm more excited about Phantasy Star Online for the PSP. Feh.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #57 on: August 03, 2008, 09:18:26 PM

i'm getting a boner from MMO...and not for the right reasons  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: August 04, 2008, 05:59:53 AM

Yea, finally an MMORPG with an arcade fighting game-style combat look to it.
Didn't really see anything different from current MMOs there. So a character performs half a dozen of kicks when i use the skill instead of half dozen sword swings... same old shit with floating damage numbers.

Oh and that's hardly gameplay video with the UI permanently off, the camera permanently spinning around and the whole thing being nothing but mix of cutscenes and fight sequences (edited for extra pace feel). With this approach one could make even LotRO trailer look all shiny.

Your assuming the UI is like other MMO's. Have you played games like uncharted?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: August 04, 2008, 04:46:42 PM

Your assuming the UI is like other MMO's. Have you played games like uncharted?
No, i'm presuming there is some sort of UI that we're shown none off. Even Uncharted has some UI elements on screen every now and then for feedback, and it's not MMO with their whole baggage of character stats, inventory, ongoing quests, equipment, abilities, info on other members of the group you're in etc or even the most obvious -- chat channels. And i'd be certainly more willing to believe there's some sort of "revolutionary invisible UI" in that game if they managed to move past the "floating damage numbers on each hit" paradigm, first. But since they didn't... welp.
schild
Administrator

Reply #60 on: August 04, 2008, 06:21:40 PM

Hmmmm.

Interview: http://bnsfacts.wordpress.com/2008/08/03/this-is-game-interview-47-qa-part-1/
and
Part 2: http://bnsfacts.wordpress.com/2008/08/04/this-is-game-interview-47-qa-part-2/

Q15: Is there an ending to to the storyline?
Bae: Yes.

Q16: Is the trailer video made out of in-game footage?
Bae: Yes. The only editing done to the video is the slow-motion effect during mid-air-dash and the removal of version stamp. Of course, for demonstration purposes, some characters were standing still not fighting back. Besides those, the video is a 100% compilation of in-game footages.
Kim: Currently, developers are playing pre-alpha version of the game. The trailer you saw today was a footage of their actual in-game play.

Q18: I am curious whether the world is seamless or instanced.
Bae: It is not seamless, but it uses streaming method. Gamers will experience the same gameplay as if they were in a seamless world.
Kim: There won’t be much loading because the maps are huge.

Q27: Do characters’ body parts take different damage?
Bae: No. However, the attack angle matters.  The damage will depend on from which position you are attacking the opponent.

Q34: What type of quests are in Blade & Soul?
Bae: Goals and scenario make up the quests. Many MMORPGs have “vending-machine” quests: “kill X number of mobs.” This is boring. Blade & Soul will resolve the problem of “I want to follow the story line, but why am I talking to this vending machine.” I want the game to overcome that limitation. It’s one of the topics of discussion within the team.

Q47: When will be the release?
Bae: (smile) I really don’t know. I hope we don’t this year [closed beta]. We developed for about two years and 50% is complete. I don’t know what the developers think.
Kim: I think only 20% is done. (smile) end of the interview

Q46: There is a rumor that Blade & Soul is NCsoft’s PS3 MMO?
Bae: There’s nothing specific about the plan.  We only have 60 developers which is just enough to make the PC version.  I would like to [make a PS3 version], but some things can’t be done.  We are discussing with other platform companies as well.

This last one is pretty much debunked as several places have printed it is the PS3 one, including here, though I only did after others outted them.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 06:25:26 PM by schild »
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #61 on: August 04, 2008, 08:20:52 PM

Aside from the attack chain where the guy seemed to run around hitting several enemies once each, most of that stuff wasn't that different from what I've seen in Age of Conan, with added movement skills from CoX.  It's Age of Wuxia.  Especially with those later quotes about attack angle mattering.

Honestly, if you were going to clone someone's combat system, I'd have pointed to AoC, I love combat in that game.  Also, I can't wait to see some group of 4-6 people using that flower summoning effect over, and over, and over, and over, in the major city auction house/bank area.  That'll be greaaat.

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
Drugstore Space Cowboy
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: August 04, 2008, 09:16:10 PM

My god, it's full of stars.

Like, seriously. CLICK THAT LINK. CLICK IT. CLICK IT NOW.

Will it be good? Who knows. BUT HOLY CRAP.

Edit: Screenshots, in-game.

Meh, just another WoW clone IMO.
schild
Administrator

Reply #63 on: August 05, 2008, 03:57:10 AM

You're allowed to say thing like that because you play Eve. Just another Excel clone IMO.

Edit: For future reference though, just so you fit in, WoW was just another in the line of dikus. If anything, call it an EQ-Clone. But calling it a WoW clone would lead you to calling other things WoW clones. And we don't need to see that goddamn penny arcade comic again, even if it is their funniest one.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #64 on: August 05, 2008, 05:25:50 AM

Although it's a bit too anime for my tastes, it's totally super pretty with loltweaker animations, and I'll play it anyways (at least in beta or whatever).

I dunno - I just could never see myself playing a game like this as my 'main' MMO - it would have to be really different then KMMO trash, although my hopes aren't that high. I have faith that they can change it up enough to make it interesting, but not THAT much.

Speaking of Aion - my only memory of that game was at E3 a few years back, and I was on a beach fighting crabs or something, and some other person from another faction was there killing crabs, and it was some guy sitting in a chair left to me - I killed him like 4 times in a row because he was terrible. Then he got up and left. I hope he wrote a bad review.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
schild
Administrator

Reply #65 on: August 05, 2008, 05:59:30 AM

Aion just sent out some PR. As per usual, the screenshots, which were composed, were terrible. I'm not sure designer, programmers, or PR people are fit to take ingame screenshots. Perhaps it's best left to the artists? Or players? Eh, anyway, the PR had the 4 classes in it. Scout, Mage, Priest, Warrior. Seriously.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: August 05, 2008, 07:03:05 AM

Can you post the screens?
schild
Administrator

Reply #67 on: August 05, 2008, 07:19:58 AM

Sorry for resizing, but 1920x1080 is just big.

And companies wonder why I almost NEVER post PR. Bleh.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #68 on: August 05, 2008, 07:42:23 AM

hee hee

That lizard's tongue looks like one of those party blower things! (yes, bad connotations could be made with that, HOW ELSE WOULD YOU DESCRIBE IT)

awesome, for real

It looks like the KMMO art style version of WoW.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: August 05, 2008, 08:14:31 AM

Jesus Christ on an unlubricated stick, that looks like a hi-fidelity WoW, if you take out the player characters. Especially that red orc.

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Blade & Soul In-Engine Footage (PS3/PC NCSoft MMOG) CLICK HERE.  
Jump to: