Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:36:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: MMA 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MMA  (Read 265595 times)
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

on: July 17, 2008, 06:01:01 AM

I'd like this to be "The MMA Thread", but I'm unsure of the potential popularity around here - I guess MMA has a reputation for being a sport for white trash/rednecks.  I don't agree, because I love it. Maybe I actually AM white trash, and am wholly unaware of it.

Anywho, two really interesting fights this weekend.  Anderson Silva moving up a weight class and fighting a guy who should give him more of a battle than the average tomato can.  The return of Fedor, fighting a former UFC heavyweight champ.  Also, Rampage goes on a rampage and gets his ass arrested.  Bitter over his loss?

Feel free to ignore.  Or discuss.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 06:08:49 AM

MMA for rednecks? I thought that was WWE awesome, for real

I used to watch a lot of it back when it was first starting out here (i.e. back when Royce Gracie and Ken Shamrock were doing UFC). Don't watch so much anymore.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 06:10:33 AM

That was when I originally got into it to.  When they went underground, I wasn't really following it.  Quite a different sport today, but I still enjoy watching some of the older fights from the Gracie/Shamrock era.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
WayAbvPar

Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 07:29:43 AM

My buddy and I used to rent all the old tapes and watch the PPVs religiously. Now that they have a new event every month or so, that has fallen off. Of course, with the addition of 2 wives, 2 kids (and another on the way), 2 mortgages, etc, we have neither the time nor the funds to watch all of them. I catch one or two a year now. I can barely follow who is who these days, but I still appreciate a good fight.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 07:43:23 AM

You had me going... I thought this was a thread on B12 deficiency. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
photek
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 07:56:04 AM

MMA is great. Looking forward to Fedor entering the US to see how he will do against UFC. Fedor physically and technically is and should be above any of the current UFC fighters, some of the old ones in their top days could give him a heavy go, Randy Couture in his prime days in a grappling fight would be awesome to see. Also I want a Cro Cop VS Fedor rematch, that would be great.

Rampage got his ass handed last time, I admit I was hoping he was winnar, but towards the end the other guy I don't even know the name of was better.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 08:02:34 AM by photek »

"I recently went to a new doctor and noticed he was located in something called the Professional Building. I felt better right away"
WayAbvPar

Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 08:54:34 AM

He got his ass handed to him by cops yesterday too.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 08:59:10 AM

I, too, used to watch more in the Gracie days. There's been some great fighters since (Bas, Wanderlei, Sakuraba, Vitor), but even those guys are getting old now. My friend still watches a lot, so when he checks it out, I sit for awhile. The lightweights seems to be a lot more exciting than anything else these days.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 09:01:08 AM by Stray »
photek
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 09:04:23 AM

I, too, used to watch more in the Gracie days. There's been some great fighters since (Bas, Wanderlei, Sakuraba, Vitor), but even those guys are getting old now. My friend still watches a lot, so when he checks it out, I sit for awhile. The lightweights seems to be a lot more exciting than anything else these days.

The lightweights are great. Due to the phsyical difference compared to heavyweight, the fights are faster, dancy and there is more moving invovled and tricks no heavyweighter can pull off. BJ Penn is great in this division.

"I recently went to a new doctor and noticed he was located in something called the Professional Building. I felt better right away"
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 09:19:07 AM

Yep, I've always been a fan of footwork (dancy, as you said). Octagons are pretty small though, so I can't really expect a big guy moving around like Ali in there too much. What it revolves around is a hockey fight, and then slow submission (which was cool to see at first). Other leagues (mostly foreign) have full rings, and it's a hell of a lot better, I think. They're just not broadcast in the States very often.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 09:34:58 AM

The lighter weight classes are awesome, but the heavier ones can be as well.  The light-heavyweights tend to get the most press, and for good reason (usually).

Stray - if you are thinking of Pride, they went throught some financial troubles, got bought up by the UFC and were subsequently closed down for good.  Not sure what other leagues you might be thinking of...

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 09:47:05 AM

Pride, Pancrase, and Euro and South American leagues. Some of the same fighters that dominate UFC also dominate in those areas, so I guess it's not making a huge difference, but it's cooler to see fighters on their feet more (and to see more styles able to be expressed... hell, even Capoeira gets a fighting chance).
penfold
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 10:12:34 AM

The lighter weight classes are awesome, but the heavier ones can be as well.  The light-heavyweights tend to get the most press, and for good reason (usually).

Stray - if you are thinking of Pride, they went throught some financial troubles, got bought up by the UFC and were subsequently closed down for good.  Not sure what other leagues you might be thinking of...

Pride = Yakukza run. Once this became open public knowledge, the TV station pulled it from their schedule, and the other sponsors left too.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: July 17, 2008, 10:51:41 AM

Yep, that's what I'd read too.

I like a healthy mix of the stand-up and the grappling.  UFC has a better mix of it these days, but yeah, I like to watch some of the old Pride and even K-1 stuff.

WayAbvPar

Reply #14 on: July 17, 2008, 01:42:23 PM

I miss the old school stuff with no weight classes, and fights between single discipline guys. It was really interesting to see the contrast in styles. Now everyone is trained in multiple disciplines at it is far more boring imo.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #15 on: July 17, 2008, 02:24:41 PM

Oh yeah. I remember the first ever UFC fight. A skinny Dutch Savate guy vs..... a SUMO. Everyone was scared for the smaller dude. No guards, no mouthpieces, etc..

And then this happened, and I was hooked:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmXreAYwJCQ
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 02:29:23 PM by Stray »
WayAbvPar

Reply #16 on: July 17, 2008, 02:54:40 PM

One of my favorite moments was Don Frey knocking out a guy that was about 250 pounds heavier and close to a foot taller than him. The big guy was a late replacement in the fight IIRC, so he was probably just some local drunk they drug in off a bar stool (AKA the Tank Abbott school of fighting). Nevertheless, it was impressive.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: July 17, 2008, 03:57:03 PM

The lightweights are great. Due to the phsyical difference compared to heavyweight, the fights are faster, dancy and there is more moving invovled and tricks no heavyweighter can pull off. BJ Penn is great in this division.

Yeah, BJ is amazing.  St. Pierre is great to watch too, though I'm secretly hoping BJ will move up a class and give him a good fight (this time, without gassing).

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #18 on: July 18, 2008, 05:11:27 AM

I miss the old school stuff with no weight classes, and fights between single discipline guys. It was really interesting to see the contrast in styles. Now everyone is trained in multiple disciplines at it is far more boring imo.

I used to watch it in those days. Two hundred pound weight advantages, Joyce Gracie tapping out guys with ankle locks from his back, and Taktarov winning matches by staying in his guard for 45 minutes until his opponent was completely gassed.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #19 on: July 18, 2008, 12:44:15 PM

Oh yeah. I remember the first ever UFC fight. A skinny Dutch Savate guy vs..... a SUMO. Everyone was scared for the smaller dude. No guards, no mouthpieces, etc..

And then this happened, and I was hooked:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmXreAYwJCQ

I see your Sumo fighter, and raise you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zhQb_nkR0U

Keith Hackney broke his wrist or arm that fight and could not continue in the tournament.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 12:46:42 PM by Slayerik »

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #20 on: July 18, 2008, 12:48:27 PM

Heh yeah, I recall that one too.

The dutch guy in the previous vid did, in fact, break his wrist too -- on the punch to the eye, right after the kick. He ended up going against a Muay Thai dude after that match, and still won it. So then it became him against Gracie...and the way Gracie took him down was, I guess, how his legend was born.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #21 on: July 18, 2008, 12:53:54 PM

Heh yeah, I recall that one too.

The dutch guy in the previous vid did, in fact, break his wrist too -- on the punch to the eye, right after the kick. He ended up going against a Muay Thai dude after that match, and still won it. So then it became him against Gracie...and the way Gracie took him down was, I guess, how his legend was born.

The thing that will forever stick in my mind about the Hackney fight was that overhand shot he landed. You gotta be inventive with your strikes when the guy stands a full foot taller and weighs like 3 pounds more than you.

I am totally renting a bunch of the old fights again, thanks for making this thread :)

Fedor is a beast.  I can't wait to see him fight again.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
photek
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: July 18, 2008, 12:56:02 PM

I raise your tubbys with a real giant with strength and flexibility. This guy is 10 times more dangerous than any of those tubby ones.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=P3QzX1ZadJM

Another David VS Goliath :

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PJeOMih5ceM

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #23 on: July 18, 2008, 01:15:16 PM

I keep forgetting what this thread is about and clicking on it!   

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #24 on: July 18, 2008, 01:22:53 PM

I raise your tubbys with a real giant with strength and flexibility. This guy is 10 times more dangerous than any of those tubby ones.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=P3QzX1ZadJM

Another David VS Goliath :

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PJeOMih5ceM

Fedor is the Man! Didn't know he fought that big chinese dude though -- someone was just talkin' about him the other day. Total freak of nature. Although, that doesn't seem to stop his luck.

photek
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: July 18, 2008, 01:30:07 PM

Lucky bastard  Heartbreak

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: July 18, 2008, 01:52:22 PM

Guess I should have realized you were not talking about this....

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: July 18, 2008, 02:27:23 PM

I love me some Fedor, but I am secretly wondering what will happen when he starts facing former (or current) UFC talent.  There is a part of me that wonders if he isn't going to get his face re-arranged.

photek
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: July 18, 2008, 02:30:22 PM

Where is the fight airing tomorrow ?

We will see after tomorrows fight in what shape Fedor is.

WayAbvPar

Reply #29 on: July 18, 2008, 02:50:46 PM

I love me some Fedor, but I am secretly wondering what will happen when he starts facing former (or current) UFC talent.  There is a part of me that wonders if he isn't going to get his face re-arranged.

Judging from the pic, that might be what he is hoping for.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: July 18, 2008, 03:43:25 PM

Where is the fight airing tomorrow ?

We will see after tomorrows fight in what shape Fedor is.

I want to say Vegas, but I'm not sure.  Unless you meant the "where" as in "what network", but I'm guessing you know it's PPV.

Anderson Silva, on the other hand, will be on Spike, which is a direct kick in the testes from UFC to Donald Trump and the other Affliction guys.

Edit: pretty sure it is in Anaheim, actually.  Some place called the Honda center.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 12:53:24 PM by Cyrrex »

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: July 18, 2008, 03:51:13 PM

The thing that will forever stick in my mind about the Hackney fight was that overhand shot he landed. You gotta be inventive with your strikes when the guy stands a full foot taller and weighs like 3 pounds more than you.

Did you see Hackney in UFC...4 I want to say?  Where he gave that idiot Korean wrestler guy (Kimo's trainer AND Jesus advisor) countless unanswered punches directly to the nutsack?  Keith Hackney was awesome.  He'd get totally killed today, but he was involved in some classics.  Crazy Tiger-style Karate or something.

photek
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: July 19, 2008, 08:27:12 PM

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #33 on: July 20, 2008, 12:15:35 AM

He needs to get into a Couture fight asap, or he's always going to have an asterisk next to his record (not necessarily to me).

[edit] Too bad there's a light heavyweight division. I think some of those guys would still be good opponents for him.

[edit] Well shit, didn't realize Couture was 45. Even if Fedor did win, it'd just be another asterisk.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 12:23:05 AM by Stray »
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: July 20, 2008, 05:53:35 AM

You're probably right about that asterisk...but for my money, Fedor would probably walk through a Randy Couture even in his prime.  We'll never know, but we'll probably get to see him against the 45 year-old version.

Hell, I guess I expected him to win last night , but....words fail.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: MMA  
Jump to: