Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 04:35:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: WAR to be released... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 34 Go Down Print
Author Topic: WAR to be released...  (Read 423974 times)
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #700 on: August 12, 2008, 12:05:07 PM

Why is it "you must exceed" and not, "you must meet or exceeded"?

Bad wording?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
cevik
I'm Special

I've always wondered about the All Black People Eat Watermelons

Reply #701 on: August 12, 2008, 02:23:33 PM

Its funny, immediately after receiving the email, I suddenly became very resentful of all the newbs who whine about the NDA, and thought "why can't they just wait?"

* The CE Beta servers are not online. They CE Beta servers will be online hopefully middle of the week.

How's all that smug superiority working out for you there, Triforcer?

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #702 on: August 12, 2008, 03:24:33 PM

Pretty well, so far, given that I'm stick stuck in bittorrent land. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
tkinnun0
Terracotta Army

Reply #703 on: August 13, 2008, 01:43:29 AM

You know, if you're having bittorrent trouble, you should call your ISP and complain.
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #704 on: August 13, 2008, 02:42:29 PM

The whole CE beta is turning into lulz fest 08  awesome, for real

The main thread is here:
   http://www.warhammeralliance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51579
 But I'll rip out the fun parts.

Ok, so a little back story 60k pre-orders were done of the collectors edition of Warhammer. By ordering one of these editions you get a few keys (item, head start, beta code). You enter the beta code on the beta accounts website and upload your dxdiag.txt. The beta code was suppose to get you into the open beta. EA/Mythic decided to add this feature to all pre-orders, but last week announced that all "eligible" people with CE beta keys entered on the beta site would be granted access to closed beta.

Starting last Friday waves of invites went out, but on Monday the announcement was made all "eligible" people were invited. This is where the fun starts, because surprise a lot of people with systems easily beating the minimum requirements have excluded. Why? No idea, but here's the info so far from the dev tracker:

So far its been fun, read the posts around the dev's for some really great comments "zomg I want refunds!".

A thread with all the specs of excluded CE beta

Hai guys! I checked off industry staff and got in!

There's like a month and 5 days to launch, but I cannot wait for the headstart it's going to be another drama filled fun time!
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #705 on: August 13, 2008, 04:49:23 PM

You forgot to mention Gamestop swapping out a bunch of CE preorder boxes for normal preorder boxes.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #706 on: August 13, 2008, 06:58:11 PM

Lots of people cry when they don't get into beta.  Happens with every MMO.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #707 on: August 13, 2008, 07:26:47 PM

To be fair, if you are told buying an incredibly overpriced box will get you into beta, but it turns out that it doesn't, you've got a right to ask what is going on.

WAR's pre-launch isn't being handled particularly well.

HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #708 on: August 14, 2008, 04:24:35 AM

Do we have a beta forum here? I could use it.

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #709 on: August 14, 2008, 06:18:31 AM

1) Make it clear what you are selling
2) Don't sell stuff you can't deliver. 

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #710 on: August 14, 2008, 07:20:47 AM

The whole CE beta is turning into lulz fest 08  awesome, for real

The main thread is here:
   http://www.warhammeralliance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51579
 But I'll rip out the fun parts.

Ok, so a little back story 60k pre-orders were done of the collectors edition of Warhammer. By ordering one of these editions you get a few keys (item, head start, beta code). You enter the beta code on the beta accounts website and upload your dxdiag.txt. The beta code was suppose to get you into the open beta. EA/Mythic decided to add this feature to all pre-orders, but last week announced that all "eligible" people with CE beta keys entered on the beta site would be granted access to closed beta.

Starting last Friday waves of invites went out, but on Monday the announcement was made all "eligible" people were invited. This is where the fun starts, because surprise a lot of people with systems easily beating the minimum requirements have excluded. Why? No idea, but here's the info so far from the dev tracker:

So far its been fun, read the posts around the dev's for some really great comments "zomg I want refunds!".

A thread with all the specs of excluded CE beta

Hai guys! I checked off industry staff and got in!

There's like a month and 5 days to launch, but I cannot wait for the headstart it's going to be another drama filled fun time!

Thats why i asked this:

Why is it "you must exceed" and not, "you must meet or exceeded"?

Bad wording?

Made me instantly think that they have not optimized anything, or are having issues getting the engine to run on the target min specs, hence why only people that exceed (by a large margin it seems) are being invited, CE or not.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #711 on: August 14, 2008, 08:06:14 AM

I could understand aoc being bleeding edge in system specs, it did look pretty but WAR doesn't seem to look good enough to justify needing a super computer to play it.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #712 on: August 14, 2008, 08:20:12 AM

You're buying the game with a lot of other fancy shit, and beta access.  Don't tell me you dropped all that cash for a few weeks of beta access?
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #713 on: August 14, 2008, 08:21:07 AM

You're buying the game with a lot of other fancy shit, and beta access.  Don't tell me you dropped all that cash for a few weeks of beta access?

no.  I spent 99 cents at Target. I'm not an idiot.  ;)

Edit: What the hell are min and recommended specs at this point?

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #714 on: August 14, 2008, 08:40:46 AM

good question.  I've been seeking system reqs myself for a while.  Although I'm not trying for Beta.
Jamiko
Terracotta Army

Reply #715 on: August 14, 2008, 08:54:33 AM

http://herald.warhammeronline.com/warherald/NewsArticle.war?id=168

PC SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

For Windows XP

·  2.5 GHz P4 (single core) processor or equivalent
·  1 Gigabyte RAM
·  A 128 MB Video Card, with support for Pixel Shader 2.0
·  At least 15 GB of hard drive space

For Windows VISTA

·  2.5 GHz P4 processor or equivalent
·  2 Gigabyte RAM

Supported Video Cards

ATI Radeon(TM) series

·  9500, 9600, 9800
·  X300, X600, X700, X800, X850
·  X1300, X1600, X1800, X1900, X1950
·  2400, 2600, 2900,
·  3650, 3850, 3870
·  4850, 4870

NVIDIA GeForce series

·  FX 5900, FX 5950
·  6600, 6800,
·  7600, 7800, 7900, 7950
·  8400, 8500, 8600, 8800
·  9400, 9500, 9600, 9800
·  GTX 260, GTX 280

Intel(R) Extreme Graphics

·  GMA X4500
tazelbain
Unknown

tazelbain

Reply #716 on: August 14, 2008, 08:54:58 AM

I can't remember this amount of pre-release angst since DAoC.

Popcorn

"Me am play gods"
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #717 on: August 14, 2008, 08:58:16 AM

http://herald.warhammeronline.com/warherald/NewsArticle.war?id=168

PC SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

For Windows XP

·  2.5 GHz P4 (single core) processor or equivalent
·  1 Gigabyte RAM

For Windows VISTA

·  2.5 GHz P4 processor or equivalent
·  2 Gigabyte RAM

Supported Video Cards

ATI Radeon(TM) series

·  9500, 9600, 9800
·  X300, X600, X700, X800, X850
·  X1300, X1600, X1800, X1900, X1950
·  2400, 2600, 2900,
·  3650, 3850, 3870
·  4850, 4870

NVIDIA GeForce series

·  FX 5900, FX 5950
·  6600, 6800,
·  7600, 7800, 7900, 7950
·  8400, 8500, 8600, 8800
·  9400, 9500, 9600, 9800
·  GTX 260, GTX 280

Intel(R) Extreme Graphics

·  GMA X4500

There is also thisd at the bottom of that page: "The NVIDIA GeForce FX series is unsupported under Vista."

+ Mythic's opinion.

Also, what the hell? Why did they skip the Radion 9700? There are some very odd Video card skips in the supported cards list IMO.

slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #718 on: August 14, 2008, 09:05:00 AM

that's min.  What's recommended?

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #719 on: August 14, 2008, 09:11:15 AM

I dunno about the skips, I've got a GeForce 7300 and I can't imagine it's actually worse than a FX5900... but I suppose it's possible. 

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
cevik
I'm Special

Reply #720 on: August 14, 2008, 09:15:24 AM

Popcorn

Hi, and welcome to the internet.. I can see it's your first time here so take a moment to acquaint yourself with your surroundings.  I know it can be a bit strange at first, but soon even you will be using Google like the rest of us.

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #721 on: August 14, 2008, 09:18:26 AM

that's min.  What's recommended?

I don't think a recommended has ever been posted, just "Required" instead of "minimum".

*shrug*, looking at it, it shouldn't take much, i still haven't seen anything with the lighting system they were talking about a while back, i wonder if its even in. Lighting and shadows are always a hard nut to crack performance wise depending on technique.

cevik
I'm Special

Reply #722 on: August 14, 2008, 09:24:43 AM

Speaking theoretically, had my wife tried to run the game on her iMac with a Radeon 2600 HD and 4 gigs of RAM (which got terrible framerates in AoC without heavy graphics settings tweaking) last night during the first night of beta when there were thousands of little greenskins all around her, she would (speaking purely theoretically) have gotten pretty decent performance.  This is all pure speculation and theory of course.

tazelbain
Unknown

tazelbain

Reply #723 on: August 14, 2008, 09:28:24 AM

Popcorn

Hi, and welcome to the internet.. I can see it's your first time here so take a moment to acquaint yourself with your surroundings.  I know it can be a bit strange at first, but soon even you will be using Google like the rest of us.
Name a counter example, Troll.

"Me am play gods"
cevik
I'm Special

Reply #724 on: August 14, 2008, 09:30:40 AM

Popcorn

Name a counter example, Troll.

Every mmog ever.

Hell we had some discussion over the pre-release angst against WoW in this very thread with quoted examples.

Dumbass.

fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #725 on: August 14, 2008, 09:32:38 AM

You forgot to mention Gamestop swapping out a bunch of CE preorder boxes for normal preorder boxes.

EA store pre-order keys, have they gone out yet? (13th was their day) A friend has got squat. EB in Canada is totally messed up, same for bestbuy, trying to figure out how to order the target box ;).

Made me instantly think that they have not optimized anything, or are having issues getting the engine to run on the target min specs, hence why only people that exceed (by a large margin it seems) are being invited, CE or not.

The invite issue is totally problems with parsing system requirements (or was), now of all the issues that were resolved last night and the invites went out about 50% of the people had signed up as industry or press. As one that's still locked out that I'm a 100% sure I didn't select them (unless posting to F13 is considered press ;) ), and system meets minimum requirements I'm bamboozled to how it's still flagged wrong. Another major issue is your betacenter account has no indication if you chose it or were flagged in any way.

Alas who cares game is one month from release and everyone will get into the openbeta once the NDA is dropped but its interesting that their pool of beta testers was effected too.

(For anyone who asks system stuff here's the two main sections of my dxdiag)

Code:
------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 8/14/2008, 08:29:52
       Machine name: FUSER-PC
   Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.080425-1930)
           Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
       System Model: P35-DS3L
               BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
          Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU    Q6600  @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
             Memory: 4094MB RAM
          Page File: 2902MB used, 5514MB available
        Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 10

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
        Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
     Manufacturer: NVIDIA
        Chip type: GeForce 8800 GT
         DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
       Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0611&SUBSYS_053C10DE&REV_A2
   Display Memory: 2289 MB
 Dedicated Memory: 497 MB
    Shared Memory: 1791 MB
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #726 on: August 14, 2008, 09:38:59 AM

Speaking theoretically, had my wife tried to run the game on her iMac with a Radeon 2600 HD and 4 gigs of RAM (which got terrible framerates in AoC without heavy graphics settings tweaking) last night during the first night of beta when there were thousands of little greenskins all around her, she would (speaking purely theoretically) have gotten pretty decent performance.  This is all pure speculation and theory of course.

Oh, of course. But even if implementation (as in the myriad of ways to implement X graphical/rendering feature) wasn't a factor. Comparing AOC's graphics techniques to Warhammers is like comparing a Text based game to doom 2.

Not that low system requirements is even a bad thing in MMO's, that is, if the art fidelity and skill can make up for it.

I wonder if the lighting/shadow system was part of your theoretical musings and hypothetical results.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 09:44:14 AM by Mrbloodworth »

tazelbain
Unknown

tazelbain

Reply #727 on: August 14, 2008, 09:40:59 AM

Ya, I read those threads. barely goes past mild concern and idle speculation.  Not like the hyperventilating going on here.  It's only going to get worse.

>Dumbass.
You should write a guide for forum PvP postering.

"Me am play gods"
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #728 on: August 14, 2008, 09:59:43 AM

Not that low system requirements is even a bad thing in MMO's, that is, if the art fidelity and skill can make up for it.

MMOs are never a good place to push the graphical envelope, ever. Especially if they involve PVP.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #729 on: August 14, 2008, 10:52:30 AM

This game performs pretty well if you ask me.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #730 on: August 14, 2008, 11:03:27 AM

Shaking fist

-Rasix
cevik
I'm Special

Reply #731 on: August 14, 2008, 11:04:57 AM

Ya, I read those threads. barely goes past mild concern and idle speculation.  Not like the hyperventilating going on here.  It's only going to get worse.

I think it all depends on which side of the fence you are on prior to release.  I see nothing here but mild concern and speculation, followed by rabid fanbois freaking out because someone picked on their precious little snowflake of a mmog.  Pretty much the same with any mmog release ever.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #732 on: August 14, 2008, 11:26:59 AM

I think it all depends on which side of the fence you are on prior to release.  I see nothing here but mild concern and speculation, followed by rabid fanbois freaking out because someone picked on their precious little snowflake of a mmog.  Pretty much the same with any mmog release ever.

I love these people.  Especially over on FOH.  You go ahead and say that the game isn't great or you are disappointed with this or the other and they pounce on top of you in a heartbeat.  It's really amazing, they should get these people on the discovery channel.
amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #733 on: August 14, 2008, 11:35:39 AM

I notice you have become much more subdued since your entrance into Beta.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #734 on: August 14, 2008, 12:00:12 PM

Ya, I read those threads. barely goes past mild concern and idle speculation.  Not like the hyperventilating going on here.  It's only going to get worse.

I think it all depends on which side of the fence you are on prior to release.  I see nothing here but mild concern and speculation, followed by rabid fanbois freaking out because someone picked on their precious little snowflake of a mmog.  Pretty much the same with any mmog release ever.

I love these people.  Especially over on FOH.  You go ahead and say that the game isn't great or you are disappointed with this or the other and they pounce on top of you in a heartbeat.  It's really amazing, they should get these people on the discovery channel.
-internets

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 34 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: WAR to be released...  
Jump to: