Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:54:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: So does it have legs for F13? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So does it have legs for F13?  (Read 38060 times)
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

on: June 11, 2008, 06:39:56 AM

Okay, my summer classes are all winding down and I'll have a month or two free to do nothing but level a guy. Given the entire history of F13 guilds lasting about a month, does AoC strike you guys as being different? Not that I expect to depend on you guys for my fun or anything, but if everyone's going to start cancelling their accounts in a couple weeks I'll probably just skip this one and paint up a Vampire Counts army for Warhammer.

Also, is there a good solo class that melts faces? I'm past the point of playing the victim classes (WoW Paladin, DAoC Shaman) and want to just play the class that everyone is bitching about being baaaaaaroken.

Also, the idea of building a cool player city is sexeh to me.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 07:29:26 AM

I'm having fun with it and dont see that stopping for quite some time...though I'm not with most the f13 guys.

Barbs are pretty sick right now, rangers seem a bit broke too.... For AoE: ToS and PoM are pretty awesome. I'd avoid all the mage classes.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 07:42:13 AM

I'll probably play for another month - see how it goes after that. Since EVE takes most of my gaming time and I haven't found anything to really hook me into the game yet.. though I am on a carebear PVE server so that might have something to do with it.

- Viin
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 09:51:43 AM

I think it depends on how fast they can fix the broken Feats (Talents) and also get some sort of balance. There is no doubt that Healers are overpowered right now. Other than that: http://forums.f13.net/index.php?topic=13287.msg461883#msg461883

Thats how I feel about the server.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 10:32:50 AM

F13 guild may have some legs due to player cities.   I'm not sure yet, pops have been down a little the last few times I've been on.  Perhaps the extreme catassing some have done and the overall unfinished nature of the game is forcing some people to catch their breath a bit.  We do, however, have a lot of initial traction unlike anything I've seen from the WoW, EQ2, CoH, LOTRO and POTBS efforts.  Only thing that's eclipsed this from what I've seen is the EVE involvement.

If you want a nice broken class, try a Priest of Mitra.  It's basically a DAoC smite cleric with ridculous survivability, AE, DPS and crowd control.

As for the whole PVP server thing, I don't see the majority of the guild migrating over although some have.  For me, If I'm reduced to moving to a PVP server to make the game interesting, that's when I know it's done for me.  I do not like FFA pvp at all, but I've partipated in it (AC2, SB) long after my UO griefer/ganker days when a game offers simply nothing else.  I simply just don't have the patience or mindset for a FFA pvp server anymore.  Maybe it's my advanced age or that I simply take a glance at who's drawn to it, what they post, and my mouth is suddenly agape in horror at the prospect of being surrounded by thousands of them.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 10:36:56 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 11:11:31 AM

A sucessful F13 guild will have a leadership with long term view to keep lights on so as F13ers come and go, they have a home to go to.  So does the leadership of BAT have legs for AoC?

"Me am play gods"
Rasix

Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 11:17:24 AM

A sucessful F13 guild will have a leadership with long term view to keep lights on so as F13ers come and go, they have a home to go to.  So does the leadership of BAT have legs for AoC?

You're pretty much depending on schild's interest in the game.  I don't think Danny has much interest in setting the pace for Bat Country.  Rattran and Kirth are good people but I'm not sure what their motivations are beyond just playing. 

We have a keep, that's something.

-Rasix
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 12:31:10 PM

I'm having fun. I'll keep playing as long as I'm having fun.

That pretty much sums up my whole fiendish plan.
Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 12:39:29 PM

You're pretty much depending on schild's interest in the game.  I don't think Danny has much interest in setting the pace for Bat Country.  Rattran and Kirth are good people but I'm not sure what their motivations are beyond just playing. 

We have a keep, that's something.

I'm having fun for the most part. but I'll be clear that as soon as WAR open beta/early launch starts I'm out.
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 12:43:31 PM

I'm still having fun, but after grouping a bit last night, I noticed I got very absorbed. More so than when I solo. This is obvious, but there's an added factor. Fiance was bored and I didn't realize it because I was so absorbed. Thus, that bit of absorption has made me think that maybe MMO's aren't good for me anymore. So, I want to keep playing, but it might be better if I don't. I might have to go back to single player games where I can pause at will. We'll see, though.

So legs depends on wether or not I still get leg. So to speak.
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 01:07:46 PM

Let's steal Viin, he'll make it work.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 05:09:58 PM

You do realise that Viin is a Corey, don't you?  Not one of THE Coreys but almost as good.  He can make anything work.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 06:03:18 PM

Thus, that bit of absorption has made me think that maybe MMO's aren't good for me anymore. So, I want to keep playing, but it might be better if I don't.

Ah yes, welcome to my life. I had to forcibly remove myself from the way-the-hell-too-immersed lifestyle of my earlier days in the genre, into the realm of pew pew instant gratification. It's not only the aggregate time investment with a wife who's got no interest in this shit. It's the inability to sit for multi-hour stretches too. Then with the kids, it's the inability to stay up late for marathon sessions (oh, I could... but man do I pay. Youngin's don't get daddy being too tired to move while the wife stomps around the house huffing about it  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?)
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 08:24:19 PM

Heaven.  Its fun, period. 

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #14 on: June 11, 2008, 08:50:57 PM

Thus, that bit of absorption has made me think that maybe MMO's aren't good for me anymore. So, I want to keep playing, but it might be better if I don't.

Ah yes, welcome to my life. I had to forcibly remove myself from the way-the-hell-too-immersed lifestyle of my earlier days in the genre, into the realm of pew pew instant gratification. It's not only the aggregate time investment with a wife who's got no interest in this shit. It's the inability to sit for multi-hour stretches too. Then with the kids, it's the inability to stay up late for marathon sessions (oh, I could... but man do I pay. Youngin's don't get daddy being too tired to move while the wife stomps around the house huffing about it  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?)

Stop watching my life.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #15 on: June 12, 2008, 11:33:19 AM

I'm finding it less and less fun the more I play because it's so broken.  I should put the characters I've been playing the most in the guild before that breaks, too.

Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #16 on: June 12, 2008, 11:45:17 AM

I'm finding it less and less fun the more I play because it's so broken.  I should put the characters I've been playing the most in the guild before that breaks, too.

You're a high enough level for where you see broken stuff?

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #17 on: June 12, 2008, 11:49:37 AM

My fps is broken.  I should have said "I'M so broken" , not it, I guess.  It's become so inconsistant.  Suddenly with that patch I go from 50 fps to 1, back and forth, over and over, endlessly and then I crash.  I've tried just about everything I can think of to resolve it.  I seem to have the anti-Midas touch with AoC!

cevik
I'm Special

I've always wondered about the All Black People Eat Watermelons

Reply #18 on: June 12, 2008, 11:53:58 AM

My fps is broken.  I should have said "I'M so broken" , not it, I guess.  It's become so inconsistant.  Suddenly with that patch I go from 50 fps to 1, back and forth, over and over, endlessly and then I crash.  I've tried just about everything I can think of to resolve it.  I seem to have the anti-Midas touch with AoC!

IIRC you have an nVidia card, so maybe try this, I've heard good things:

http://www.vaguetech.com/forum/downloads.php?do=cat&id=37

You'll need to download the custom inf file:

http://www.vaguetech.com/forum/downloads.php?do=file&id=205

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: June 12, 2008, 01:46:04 PM

I'm duplicating myself since I didn't see this post at the time, but I should be around for awhile .bob.

Tempest of Set or a Priest of Mitra are good options if you want the power class, but they're likely to be hit with the nerf bat hard.  All the soldiers seem to be fairly well balanced and I don't expect a lot of drastic changes there.  (Not that you should bet on my predictive abilities.)

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #20 on: June 12, 2008, 02:00:07 PM

We can't help it if the game discovered your questionable taste in avatars.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #21 on: June 12, 2008, 02:05:15 PM

Thanks for that, Cevik, and  swamp poop to Ookii.

Zetleft
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: June 15, 2008, 02:27:39 PM

Still deciding on picking this up or not, at this point I think it depends on how the guild pans out.
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #23 on: June 15, 2008, 03:16:24 PM

When I checked when people have logged in a significant amount have within the past three days or so.  The problem is when I play I generally see nobody, I guess everyone is just casually gaming this.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: June 15, 2008, 04:08:31 PM

Having played on Zug and Cimmeria, I think there's a bit more activity on the latter.
Rasix

Reply #25 on: June 15, 2008, 06:36:23 PM

I'm feeling that I'm kinda of done with this one. I like the game, it's just don't have the inclination to play and pay for two MMOs at the same time.  The Bat Country guild isn't really providing any stickiness for me. I've yet to group with a single person and have seen a handful my entire time playing (none of us have actually acknowledged each other, heh).

So, I'm picking the game that has 2 friends returning to it, an established community, and is well.. finished.  AoC is a game I can actually see myself returning to, providing they can find a way to finish it.

PVP server has absolutely no appeal for me.  Zip. Zero. Nada. It just doesn't fit with the mindset I like to carry into these games nowadays.

Anyhow, will probably log on some more and see if the game can convince me otherwise.

-Rasix
Nerf
Terracotta Army

The Presence of Your Vehicle Has Been Documented

Reply #26 on: June 15, 2008, 06:42:24 PM

That's a shame, Rasix, we're having a ball on the RP-PVP server right now, the ganking has been very light but random fights while out and about really do add somthing.  Theres only been one or two "fuck that asshole" moments, the most recent being a guy running through the cistern while everything is gray to him and training groups, which is really what I'd expect on a PVE server.
photek
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: June 15, 2008, 06:55:48 PM

I've yet to group with a single person and have seen a handful my entire time playing (none of us have actually acknowledged each other, heh).

Heh. Shit like that takes miracles to pull mostly. I've played with my guild for.. 4 years now and during the leveling periods (this goes for all games we've been in) you rarely group or interact with your guildies. Thing is, with a playerbase of 30-40 players it's impossible to keep more than 3-6 players in your leveling range, unless you powerlevel (like you do in expansion packs / alts). Reason for being in a guild while leveling is the social benefits and having higher level players who can assist you with extremely hard stuff at obscure hours / group PvP / small instances. Real guild grouping starts at max level in most games, when all are on equal terms, you will have lots of players available around you for instances / PvP you want to run.

An example with my guild, and surely many others is, I grouped with 5 people from level 35 to 40 and went to sleep. When I woke up those people were in the 45-48 range. Then they were sleeping and I was 51 when they came back. It's always like that. Or you take a few days off and some no-lifer who you played with regulary is 15 levels ahead. Long story short, guildies aren't really there to group with you constantly and interact with while leveling, they are more bonuses you play with when possible, but most important chat buddies / assistants. I don't know ANYTHING about Bat Country / F13 guilds, but this is really a general thing that most people seem to misunderstand or misinterpret of what a guild is. If you want people to level with and play with together, you really need a buddy or a small group with same playtime availability. I've actually had several people leave my old guild during vanilla WoW leveling cause they had nobody in their level range to play with. So, there is many sides to what a guild can bring to you is what I'm trying to say. I guess.

EDIT: Looking at my reply, it might have been a bit subjective. Of course we were elitist fucks who wanted to be the best, you can actually do a more casual-friend guild and level / craft and play together 24/7.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 06:59:16 PM by photek »

"I recently went to a new doctor and noticed he was located in something called the Professional Building. I felt better right away"
Rasix

Reply #28 on: June 15, 2008, 06:58:02 PM

That's a shame, Rasix, we're having a ball on the RP-PVP server right now, the ganking has been very light but random fights while out and about really do add somthing.  Theres only been one or two "fuck that asshole" moments, the most recent being a guy running through the cistern while everything is gray to him and training groups, which is really what I'd expect on a PVE server.

I'd be annoyed every single time someone attacked me.  Every single time. 

-Rasix
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: June 16, 2008, 05:09:14 AM

I'd actually say that unless you're looking for PvP at all, AoC is not really going to stack as well against better PvE games like WoW and EQ2. This isn't a slight on PvEers (I'm usually one) nor PvPers, it's that the other games are far more polished in the NPC/mob/class-balance area than AoC. The thing that makes AoC interesting to me is the unfinished state and the rather loose set of rules. Who knows for how long that'll last, but I already got my money's worth so don't care smiley
Nerf
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: June 16, 2008, 05:34:21 AM

All I can say Rasix, is try a PoM before you quit, once I got the assassin to 53, I had tried rolling a few alts, got a handful to 20, but none of them made me really want to login.

The PoM is just a fucking riot, and if you duo with a ToS you're an unstoppable AoE machine.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #31 on: June 16, 2008, 05:41:27 AM

I've played PoM from the start.  I'm not sure where all the love comes from other than they're rather over-powered in PvE.  I really don't find them all that special. 

Nerf
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: June 16, 2008, 05:57:16 AM

Did you spec divinity or vengeance?  I went vengeance+general, running around FotD at level 45 or so and rounding up entire camps to AoE to death just feels awesome, then heading to cannibal caves at 51 or so and racking up 7-chain kills, it's just awesome.  I wish the melees I played could pull that sort of shit off.

Or, try playing somthing else, like assassin, and then go back to the PoM.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #33 on: June 16, 2008, 06:04:33 AM

Maybe different spec might be it, though it still sort of sounds like a being over-powered love for the character.  You have to wonder how interesting it'll be when they get around to nerfing it.  I have played Barbie and Assassin, also.  I'm playing a conquerer on a PvP server, when I can stay in the game at all, and it seems okay fun at the moment, but I'm only level 22.  I'm still having the crashing problem so I'll wait until they fix me before I try and level up/respec/do anything.

Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #34 on: June 16, 2008, 06:09:38 AM

Did you spec divinity or vengeance?  I went vengeance+general, running around FotD at level 45 or so and rounding up entire camps to AoE to death just feels awesome, then heading to cannibal caves at 51 or so and racking up 7-chain kills, it's just awesome.  I wish the melees I played could pull that sort of shit off.

According to the EU forums Buffs no longer work for Repulse and it does less damage, even Improved Repulse does nothing.

Apparently it takes quite a bit longer to kill mobs now, fun while it lasted though!  I assumed you were taking those groups with some sort of Cleansing Fire > Repulse > Radiance combination.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: So does it have legs for F13?  
Jump to: