Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:50:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: So does it have legs for F13? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So does it have legs for F13?  (Read 38069 times)
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: June 16, 2008, 12:22:03 PM

You can screw up a game enough to chase people away.

Without a doubt. Yeesh! 
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #71 on: June 16, 2008, 01:04:37 PM

I don't think I get it - if all we care about is social (no combat) why wouldn't we just stick to chat rooms and IRC?

I'll reverse that. If all we care about is combat, why are we playing online with other people?

If it was about combat, we could just post on a board or in a chat room about how we kicked ass in a single player game. Here's a screenshot of my new uber fantastic weapon. But that's not what it's about. It's about playing with other people. Socializing with other people. Sharing experiences with other people. That's what an MMO is about.

So Brogarn given what you just said (and not just you), looks like you do agree with me, that massive Bat Country quittage and the eventual/imminent failure of the guild at this point aren't happening because AoC it is not a good, great MMORPG, let alone because of the bugs or the supposed unfinished-ness, but just because f13-ers are too jaded to truly socialize?

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: June 16, 2008, 01:12:08 PM

I think the issue with AoC is that there's really no reason to group or interact at all except for chatting. At least in a PvP environment you are banding together for protection, etc but you really don't need to group at all in AoC unless you just decide that's what you wanna do.

And so, there's not much pull from the guild to keep playing because those strong social/interaction ties aren't there.

- Viin
cevik
I'm Special

I've always wondered about the All Black People Eat Watermelons

Reply #73 on: June 16, 2008, 01:18:00 PM

So Brogarn given what you just said (and not just you), looks like you do agree with me, that massive Bat Country quittage and the eventual/imminent failure of the guild at this point aren't happening because AoC it is not a good, great MMORPG, let alone because of the bugs or the supposed unfinished-ness, but just because f13-ers are too jaded to truly socialize?

When this thread was one page I was going to post and say f13 in any online game will never really ever work, but then I didn't want to insult anyone who was giving it a shot so I decided against it.

But now that the new has worn off, I'll tell you something I learned awhile ago:

A group of jaded gamers with entirely different play styles and entirely different in game desires will never make a successful guild in any game, regardless of how excellent (or poor) the game is.  In order to make a successful guild in an online game, you need a common goal and playstyle that can be agreed upon by all (in spirit if not literally).  This group will never have that common goal or playstyle.

Remember this axiom and you will enjoy online games much more than you (you being the generic thread reader) currently do:  f13 makes a good place to talk about video games.  f13 makes a poor guild.

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: June 16, 2008, 01:40:41 PM

We did pretty good in SWG. But it was mostly because by the time we started working together, the game had shed all the people expecting something completely different.

I don't think it's an F13 thing though, but rather something endemic to loosely-associated people. We gather here a lot because it's easy to be social as an adjunct to avoiding work, for some smiley But many of us prefer different things, or have wildly different schedules. For most of the posters here, a forum is not a realtime activity. I don't need to "group" with schild to "achieve" something here, for example. So how our schedules different, how our playstyles differ, none of that matters.

Once in game though, it all matters.

So I'd say the axiom is not so much that F13 makes a bad guild. Rather, I think you don't want to make the assumption that a good forum posting community automatically translates into a good guild. It requires the same amount of ingame social work as any other guild does.
AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: June 16, 2008, 01:45:16 PM

A group of jaded gamers with entirely different play styles and entirely different in game desires will never make a successful guild in any game, regardless of how excellent (or poor) the game is.  In order to make a successful guild in an online game, you need a common goal and playstyle that can be agreed upon by all (in spirit if not literally).  This group will never have that common goal or playstyle.

Remember this axiom and you will enjoy online games much more than you (you being the generic thread reader) currently do:  f13 makes a good place to talk about video games.  f13 makes a poor guild.

This has been the case with every forum community I've associated with over the years.

The best guilds I've been in were ones I found ingame that had similar interests.

Edit: Pretty much what Darniaq said.

And on topic, I find I'm losing interest in the game, I won't be continuing past the free month.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 01:47:40 PM by AcidCat »
cevik
I'm Special

Reply #76 on: June 16, 2008, 01:46:07 PM

So I'd say the axiom is not so much that F13 makes a bad guild. Rather, I think you don't want to make the assumption that a good forum posting community automatically translates into a good guild. It requires the same amount of ingame social work as any other guild does.

I think you want to make the assumption that a good forum posting community automatically translates into a bad guild.  The things that drive forums such as this one are, in a lot of respects, the opposite of what drives a good guild, and vice versa.

It's not a knock against f13, it's just that you need to look for different things in a forum about game development and a guild in an online game.

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #77 on: June 16, 2008, 02:02:09 PM

We did pretty good in SWG. But it was mostly because by the time we started working together, the game had shed all the people expecting something completely different.

SWG had working personal housing and a variety of reasons for interacting with your community other than killing of and killing with.  That builds up a certain degree of stickiness that is sometimes hard to put down even after you've hit the point where the game is unworthy of the subscription.

This is not unlike PVP.  Heck, I played AC2 for over a month and that game was absolutely wretched. PVP does add a measure of stickiness when not much else is keeping you together and subbed.  The conflict, the need for protection, and the increased tension/excitement can prolong the excitement that you'd get from an activity that is either incomplete or un-fulfilling. 

Heh, the main reason my guild and I went full on PK in UO was because we were incredibly bored (from playing the lawgiver anti-pk) and just trying to squeeze a little more fun out of the game. 

However, this is 10 years later, and I don't need to resort to that. That being said, I may roll an experiment on Cimmeria just to see how accurate my self assessment is.

-Rasix
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #78 on: June 16, 2008, 02:18:58 PM

My axiom was that the game has indeed strong legs, and the fact that some people (here, but not just here) are quitting has much more to do with the socializing ways of jaded gamers, and with the lack of reasons to socialize before level 80, than with the lack of polish or content.

EDIT: I don't have any numbers but I agree with what Rasix just wrote, it was my main point since the beginning. Because of that, I am sure that the PvP servers are testing many people patience with all the ganking drama, but at the same time are building the game's financial fortunes and the just mentioned stickyness. On PvP servers you have experiences to share and laugh about since level 10, friends and comrades bonded to you by extreme ganking suckage/ownage. On the PvE servers it's you and just you against the XP bar. That doesn't work for everybody, no matters how big or good looking is the carrot at the end of the stick.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 02:24:49 PM by Falconeer »

Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: June 16, 2008, 02:27:51 PM

If it helps, not counting myself, 16 people have logged in on Zug in the past 24 hours. 3 were online when I checked (approx 5pm ETS).
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #80 on: June 16, 2008, 02:34:07 PM

The active roster being (off the top of my head and solely based on when I'm online):

Kirth (Highest level woot)
Rattran (Coming after Kirth with a vengeance)
Cheddar in some various form
Muffin
Nalas
Gualoc
Schild

That's all that comes to mind, the list really isn't that long.  I'd really like more people to group with but don't want to deal with the bullshit of some random guild.  Everyone get your shit together and let's play!

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: June 16, 2008, 02:35:02 PM

There are quite a few others on the RP-PvP server. They are slowly comming to the dark side.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: June 16, 2008, 02:47:09 PM

The active roster being (off the top of my head and solely based on when I'm online):

Muffin
Nalas
Gualoc
Schild

That's all that comes to mind, the list really isn't that long.  I'd really like more people to group with but don't want to deal with the bullshit of some random guild.  Everyone get your shit together and let's play!

You forgot dannyb, or didn't you... I don't know  swamp poop.
schild
Administrator

Reply #83 on: June 16, 2008, 02:52:49 PM

There are quite a few others on the RP-PvP server. They are slowly comming to the dark side.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

No one cares about that rag-tag group of misfits.
Gutboy Barrelhouse
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: June 16, 2008, 02:57:52 PM

It appears that AoC will not put a dent in WoW or even SWG (I had to say that):

The AoC Launch Numbers

While the videogame media tossed around some big numbers at the AoC launch, including a major figure of 700,000 copies, the actual sales numbers were unknown, as Funcom could not/would not report any details beyond what they had shipped to retailers.   A recent press release, however, has given us more details about what happened to these 700,000 copies of the game.

That's right, we have a rather unhappy picture as we near the "one month" point for Age of Conan.

* ~40% are still sitting on retailer shelves
* ~30% were bought and returned due to insufficient system reqs
* ~20% were bought and installed but canceled without subscribing
* ~10% were bought and set up a subscription to continue playing

Of the much-hyped 700,000 number, this leaves us with about 70,000 Active Players in the world of Hyboria.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #85 on: June 16, 2008, 03:00:29 PM

Myspace "subs" and YouTube "subs" put WoW to shame.  There's a reason Raph said "Fuck this game shit, I'm building a social network" and it's only partially because of the loud, obnoxious mouth breathers that constantly tell you how to run your own game while doing nothing to try it their own damn selves.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: June 16, 2008, 03:40:13 PM

Who's ass did that data come out of? Those points don't even make sense. Link please?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 03:45:30 PM by ElMuffinMan »

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: June 16, 2008, 03:55:59 PM

I don't think I get it - if all we care about is social (no combat) why wouldn't we just stick to chat rooms and IRC?

Context. Learn it. Love it.

"MMOs are about combat!" is the point taken question with. "AoC is the best thing since Kool-Aid because it's combat is better!"

No doubt combat or some other activity is fine, but the combat mechanics being the first and last words in what makes a MMO good?

No.

You know what game is about combat? Mount&Blade. That game was combat and nothing but combat (at least early on in beta). But if you host some servers and let people make persistent characters will it become the best MMO ever that everyone is only not playing because their PC isn't good enough or their friends are playing somewhere else? Fuck no.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 04:02:48 PM by lamaros »
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: June 16, 2008, 05:03:07 PM

The only thing true in your piece was the 700,000 part, from a month ago.

Learn2lie plz  awesome, for real You'd want something that sounded like it came from a more quantitative assessment, like 44%, 27%, etc. And it doesn't want to round up to an even 100% because when "press releases" like this are released, they generally round the individual values to a whole amount which invariably leads to a rounded-out 99% or 101%.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: June 16, 2008, 05:16:39 PM

We're already past this :P

- Viin
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: June 16, 2008, 05:19:37 PM

We're already past this :P

I was asleep in the interim, I needed closure.  smiley
Nerf
Terracotta Army

The Presence of Your Vehicle Has Been Documented

Reply #91 on: June 16, 2008, 08:20:02 PM

Hahahahaahahahahahahahahaahahahaahaha

Wait, let me catch my breath.

Hahahahahahahahahahahaaha

God, that's fucking great.
cevik
I'm Special

Reply #92 on: June 17, 2008, 06:38:40 AM

Who's ass did that data come out of? Those points don't even make sense. Link please?

It came from this forum thread:

http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=89351

Based on this blog post:

http://wowriot.gameriot.com/blogs/Epidemic-Obesity/Age-of-Conan-Desperate-for-Subscribers/

The guy who wrote the blog post simultaneously states that the numbers came from a "Press Release" and that the numbers came from Secret Sources That Cannot Be Named.

If you are bored at work today, I highly recommend reading the comments from the blog post.  They will numb your mind for at least 8 hours.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #93 on: June 17, 2008, 06:46:07 AM

That is just horrible blog trolling.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
cevik
I'm Special

Reply #94 on: June 17, 2008, 06:47:51 AM

That is just horrible blog trolling.

What truly frightens me is that you've allowed someone to accrue 600+ posts around here that actually believed those numbers and came here to post them to prove his point.

I blame you, personally, Slayerik.

photek
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: June 17, 2008, 06:49:42 AM

Who wrote that shit ? Rob Pardo ?

No. The game is sold out many places and they had to make 300k additional copies. That is the LAST thing you spend your "limited budget" according to the following statements :

1) You cannot return opened PC software nearly anywhere around the world, except if the owner is a friend or friends work at gameshops.
2) MMO's with used CD keys are.. Why the fuck am I telling you this?

This can be right. I think even more have canceled subs after honeymoon, time will tell.

No.

"I recently went to a new doctor and noticed he was located in something called the Professional Building. I felt better right away"
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #96 on: June 17, 2008, 06:49:49 AM

If Funcom is reading this I CHALLENGE YOU to make F13ers moderators of your forums.  IT WOULD FIX EVERYTHING.

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #97 on: June 17, 2008, 06:54:21 AM

Too fucking zealots of all stripes.

"Me am play gods"
schild
Administrator

Reply #98 on: June 17, 2008, 06:55:21 AM

I already offered, they don't hire remotely. I would've probably done it for free too. But I can't afford that.
photek
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: June 17, 2008, 07:14:58 AM

Our moderator at EU forums is a 14 year old girl who just discovered smileys and writes like the guy who put all devs on notice.

"Hi  awesome, for real

We are letting you know later  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Thanks  Heart

Anonchick  this guy looks legit"

"I recently went to a new doctor and noticed he was located in something called the Professional Building. I felt better right away"
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #100 on: June 17, 2008, 07:32:12 AM

I was gonna say bring back Cosmik, but he turned down a Funcom return or something.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: June 17, 2008, 09:10:12 AM

Stuff

You know, I really agree with pretty much all of this.

I really think their stupid system reqs will really come back to haunt them. I get 100% stagger-o-vision, and in melee I get 2 or 3 swings into empty air before I get my character back under control after I drop something. Also I'm on a PVE server and most of the time its deadly silent in the OOC channels. This is a symptom of the regional nature of the channel. In Tortage it was pretty busy with people talking but since I left there its totally silent.

That said on a PVP server I would not have a hope as I would be at a total disadvangage due to the fact my computer can bearly handle it. WOW for all its faults can give pretty much anyone who logs on the same experiance, and if I had been playing WOW I would already be back there.

Right now I have copies of Fable and Gothic sitting on my shelf waiting to be played and frankly I'm probably going to compleatly quit and play them in the next week or so. I was thinking of trying a PVP server but the horror of going through tortage again juyst makes me balk. Frankly I'm just playing to see the next leg of the destiny quest and that will be it for me.

I'm probably more suited to single player gaming anyway.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 10:21:43 AM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
cevik
I'm Special

Reply #102 on: June 17, 2008, 09:30:53 AM

Also I'm on a PVE server and most of the time its deadly silent in the OOC channels. This is a sympton of the regional nature of the channel. In tortage it was pretty busy with people talking but sine I left there its totally silent.

Jesus the people on my PvE server never shut the fuck up.  Between OOC and the regional channels it's like a non stop barrage of stupidity.

photek
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: June 17, 2008, 09:35:57 AM

Also I'm on a PVE server and most of the time its deadly silent in the OOC channels. This is a sympton of the regional nature of the channel. In tortage it was pretty busy with people talking but sine I left there its totally silent.

Yeah it is the same on Ymir. On the PvP servers you can't avoid seing "ganker, fuck you, retard, racial slur, reported, debate over which race is superior, then AoC Stygian racism" etc. It kinda adds a flavor to the channels. And its always the same whiners. Other than that, people have mostly fun.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #104 on: June 17, 2008, 10:17:09 AM

Muffin
Nalas
Gualoc
Schild

I'm still about, just in the midst of trying a couple rerolls that arn't in the guild yet until I figure out what I enjoy playing, since I didn't beta. Unless I'm mixing up names, Lantyssa's been on a fair bit when i've been playing as well.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: So does it have legs for F13?  
Jump to: