Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:50:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Let's be useful: Things You Like 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Let's be useful: Things You Like  (Read 39190 times)
schild
Administrator

on: May 17, 2008, 07:43:56 PM

List'em, jerks!

(will send a list off to Funcom after a week or two)
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 08:28:40 PM

The voice acting in the quests I've done so far. Even though the smith has to, by RPG law, be scottish.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 08:52:56 PM

1. The attacks feel like attacks. Sure, it's intangible, but compare it to "good" feeling guns in a game (like COD4) vs. bad feeling guns (like Halo).
2. Love the facial and body tattoos and scars. Would love to see the ability to place that shit and recolor though.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 11:52:52 PM

The areas, buildings, dungeons and landmarks all feel like they have been crafted by legitimately creative artists.  There is life to the zones instead of just putting generic temple_03 on flat brown land surface at coordinates 230,749.  Most MMOs are just a lot of space with trees and rocks put in as fillers but this game has really well crafted and well thought out areas.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 08:35:48 AM

The racial features on the face custimization screen at char gen. I like how with each race, there are certain fixed set of bone structure types that can't be manipulated past a certain point. Aquilonians for instance, are going to have some form of aquiline nose. That took imagination.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 04:52:21 PM

Biggest like for me... besides some of the player/npc models.  The graphics are awesome.

So far there's not much for me to keep me playing, other than seeing if the game opens up more.  I burned through to 20 last night to get our guild name and then finished the SP mode this afternoon.  I'm hoping the class opens up more, more abilities and more stuff to do.  Unfortunately crafting doesn't even come til 40?  I think. 
Jashan
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 05:28:05 PM

1. This game is not afraid of shying away from adult content, without trying to use adult content to a fault.
2. Voice acting.
3. The entire Tortage story is the best arc I have ever seen in an MMO. It approaches the better single player RPGs. I may be able to explain this better later, but for now I would say that the adult themes in its story help the suspension of disbelief. Too often I roll my eyes at rpg objectives because they are watered down enough to be in a disney movie. "Kill X Pirates" does not do it for me, even if you tell me the nasty pirates have been pillaging and looting up and down the coast. Show me a mother character who can evoke the proper emotion after losing her last child to the pirates. THAT will dial me in. It takes good writing, good voice acting, and a good arc. AOC is the best so far.

Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 10:05:17 PM

The world design and aesthetics so far (haven't left Tortage yet) are excellent.  The pacing and writing in the night stage so far is pretty damn good and there are some moments where the action just flows perfectly.

Games plays well, feels smooth and responsive.  The combat like Schild said 'feels' right.

Pretty impressed so far, I had a lot of hope for this game whilst trying not to have too much hope and I haven't been dissapointed for a change.
schild
Administrator

Reply #8 on: May 18, 2008, 10:12:09 PM

I've done nothing but quests after leaving tortage (early level 19 to 25), played 4 hours, gotten 6 levels. I'm wondering where the quests stop?
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 04:25:21 AM

melee combat - hitting the target with a few side shots to shit his shields to set him up for a combo attack which he'll then be weak to.
massively overpowered demologist and their long-range, high-power fire esssplosions.  play em now, they'll be nerfed eventually.  And I don't even have a succubus yet.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #10 on: May 19, 2008, 06:25:42 AM

Oh I forgot a good one.  Thanks so much for just accepting the fact that people will use websites to find out how to do the quests and marking the actual quest objective locations on the map.  Xs for one off things and big shaded areas telling us where to find a certain type of mob.  I hate having to run around the whole map to find a specific type of alligator to kill.
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: May 19, 2008, 07:32:12 AM

Oh I forgot a good one.  Thanks so much for just accepting the fact that people will use websites to find out how to do the quests and marking the actual quest objective locations on the map.  Xs for one off things and big shaded areas telling us where to find a certain type of mob.  I hate having to run around the whole map to find a specific type of alligator to kill.

Awesome.

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #12 on: May 19, 2008, 07:40:01 AM

I like the Combat Rose and I like how no one is around in the morning and it runs loads better. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #13 on: May 19, 2008, 04:10:29 PM

I am a follower of the Combat Rose too! Every time I mention it I get a wide range of different "Uh..?", so I thought I was alone here...  *does the secret handshake*

EDIT: broken English
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 10:58:12 PM by Falconeer »

schild
Administrator

Reply #14 on: May 19, 2008, 04:10:53 PM

Yea, the combat rose is fucking awesome.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: May 19, 2008, 06:27:58 PM

I don't even know what you are talking about. 'Splain?

- Viin
schild
Administrator

Reply #16 on: May 19, 2008, 06:31:42 PM

Interface -> Hud -> Enable combat rose.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #17 on: May 19, 2008, 06:33:48 PM

It's really worth playing with the combat rose enabled.  I think it makes the game more exciting.  I'm hoping that if/when we get ui mods or more options, I can move it where it's more comfortable for me. 

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: May 19, 2008, 07:06:50 PM

What's so great about the combat rose? 
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #19 on: May 19, 2008, 07:11:46 PM

It's fun?

jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: May 19, 2008, 07:35:47 PM

Good comments above - the zone construction is just amazing.

Smaller items of interest:

1.  Party member bars fade out when out of casting range as a healer.  Nice Nice.
2.  Collision detection.  Makes for a challenge moving in and out of melee range when in party.
3.  Races.  It's a tribute to the game that 3 variations of humans actually feel and look different.
4.  Climbing.
5.  The European/ international flavor to the game. 
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 07:41:07 PM by jpark »

"I think my brain just shoved its head up its own ass in retaliation.
"  HaemishM.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #21 on: May 20, 2008, 02:50:18 PM

Chicks are hot in this game. I'm tempted to mangina it.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #22 on: May 20, 2008, 03:04:30 PM

You should.  We should make Bat Country a girl guild.  Call it Bat Cuntry.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: May 20, 2008, 04:41:57 PM

That is both awesome and horrible.  I think I approve.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #24 on: May 20, 2008, 08:53:29 PM

The look of the items/clothing/armor. This is how a fantasy setting should look (granted, I'm a little bias towards Howard's vision already, but hey). Ancient and realistic. I get tired of the Tolkien/Arthurian/D&D motif in games like Daoc or EQ. And don't care all that much for the cartoony/outlandish look of Warhammer or Warcraft.

edit: Also, no elves. Or dwarves. Or orcs. Or what the fuck ever.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 08:55:40 PM by Stray »
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: May 20, 2008, 08:55:40 PM

I love how your first attack when drawing your weapons is different than the rest.

I am the .00000001428%
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #26 on: May 20, 2008, 09:02:20 PM

I spent almost the same amount of time tweaking my characters' looks in creation as I've done in CoH (almost). Good job, Funcom.

Now I'm crashing. Time to actually play tomorrow.  swamp poop
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: May 21, 2008, 05:51:28 AM

I spent almost the same amount of time tweaking my characters' looks in creation as I've done in CoH (almost). Good job, Funcom.

Now I'm crashing. Time to actually play tomorrow.  swamp poop

Small tip:, equipment on vender's, and in the world, have different looks but the same stats. So basically, if its a "Tattered" hood, there is also a Tattered circlet with the same stats, so it comes down to personal aesthetic choices. I am currently in the habit of buying everything, and putting together an outfit that i like with he options.

I do wish they had a "Dress up room" like option..but, ah, i bet it comes in time.

Somthing elese that really impressed me, and i am glad they did it.

The bank, your auctions, and your mail. ALL IN ONE FUCKING WINDOW! Funcom +1.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 05:54:53 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
schild
Administrator

Reply #28 on: May 21, 2008, 05:54:08 AM

After level 20, at no point should you be wearing any vendor trash. Also, around level 30, named items start dropping. Even from random bosses. With names tied to the boss you killed.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: May 21, 2008, 05:57:25 AM

After level 20, at no point should you be wearing any vendor trash. Also, around level 30, named items start dropping. Even from random bosses. With names tied to the boss you killed.

Yeah, i know. at the lower levels however, money comes easy, and vendor stuff is cheep and good. I just really appreciate that i CAN dress like some cloth wearing noble, or a hooded bandit, or something in between with out worrying about stats. It just makes me wonder about the options in look we shall see with crafting ETC..

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #30 on: May 21, 2008, 06:00:09 AM

Yeah, i know. at the lower levels however, money comes easy, and vendor stuff is cheep and good. I just really appreciate that i CAN dress like some cloth wearing noble, or a hooded bandit, or something in between with out worrying about stats. It just makes me wonder about the options in look we shall see with crafting ETC..

Well, at level 37, I look like Eqyptian Royalty short of a stupid hat with a sphinx on it or some other equally silly shit. All green highlighted, purple and gold robey/kilty shit. And it's all incredibly useful. And matched without any effort from myself. Props to them for making sure things worked out. Though I might've picked it all subconciously because my brain works like a woman's when it comes to MMOG clothing. I wore padded over composite in SWG for the longest time. In other words, take my opinion of the clothing with a grain of salt.
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: May 21, 2008, 06:22:33 AM

After a full night what I like....

-Combat is great and has that schild approved "feel"
-Graphics is amazing and runs really well on my midrange pc.
-The quest journal/maps is great and works well
-Voice acting is terrific
-Quests are interesting and make you think/explore (Ok, very little but compared to most MMO's)
-Mature content (not mentioning the fatalities but the quest content that is "dark")
-Environment/graphics is lush and looks really well. At the beach I was captivated by the water, at the volcano I was looking at the lava flow.
-Attention to detail, I was sure I put an arrow into the back of that NPC's head and indeed it was there after death.
-Class focus, there's some great details/mechanics to a ranger that separates it from its archtypes. (only speaking of the ranger and tempest so far, excuse the abused ones)
-Rewarding play styles, if you complete your combo's and preform good tactics you get an overpowered class feel.
-Solid client. It's cludgy as hell in some area's but for 5+hrs straight the memory consumption was in line, and no crashes
-Server backend! Someone deserves a medal for their database and network infrastructure design. I had zero disconnects, no lag, no problems accessing the servers all night, no noticeable server lag or processing (On deathwhisper that was full with queue's in primetime).
-Night time quests are an interesting way to instance that's fun so far.
-Character customization (from feats/skills/appearance)

Thats it for now, now for the bad parts.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 06:46:23 AM by fuser »
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: May 21, 2008, 08:11:32 AM

Well, at level 37, I look like Eqyptian Royalty short of a stupid hat with a sphinx on it or some other equally silly shit. All green highlighted, purple and gold robey/kilty shit. And it's all incredibly useful. And matched without any effort from myself. Props to them for making sure things worked out. Though I might've picked it all subconciously because my brain works like a woman's when it comes to MMOG clothing. I wore padded over composite in SWG for the longest time. In other words, take my opinion of the clothing with a grain of salt.

I was a bone armor, or No armor kinda guy. I liked snappy clothing.

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #33 on: May 21, 2008, 08:21:11 AM

Though I might've picked it all subconciously because my brain works like a woman's when it comes to MMOG

Is that why the guild leader title is "Madam"?

schild
Administrator

Reply #34 on: May 21, 2008, 08:39:24 AM

Though I might've picked it all subconciously because my brain works like a woman's when it comes to MMOG

Is that why the guild leader title is "Madam"?

No, that's why you're a trollop.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Let's be useful: Things You Like  
Jump to: