Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 10:01:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Let's be useful: Things You Like 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Let's be useful: Things You Like  (Read 39779 times)
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #35 on: May 21, 2008, 03:36:54 PM

Though I might've picked it all subconciously because my brain works like a woman's when it comes to MMOG

Is that why the guild leader title is "Madam"?

No, that's why you're a trollop.

Well, I hope you like your hos in chainmail, cuz that's what you're gonna get.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: May 22, 2008, 04:53:57 AM

Combat. Definitely like combat.  Heart

This morning I started up a Herald of Xotli. Slamming bad guys, watching them fly, then running up and breathing fire into their faces made me happy on a level that probably needs therapy.

Oh, the game looks rather nice, too.

But combat. Oh sweet glorious combat, how I adore thee.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #37 on: May 23, 2008, 09:08:23 AM

Yes. The combat. WAR is fucked if they are using the old EQ/WoW system. Every future MMO needs this combat. Say goodbye to /assist forever!

I have never played WoW.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: May 23, 2008, 10:31:55 AM

Yes. The combat. WAR is fucked if they are using the old EQ/WoW system. Every future MMO needs this combat. Say goodbye to /assist forever!

/assist has no place in a pvp game.  Doing away with it is a very wise move.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #39 on: May 23, 2008, 10:42:37 AM

I like the combat system, but as a Guardian (needing to hit multiple mobs at once) I turned off auto target and auto facing.  It's SO much easier now.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: May 23, 2008, 11:50:08 AM

/assist has no place in a pvp game.  Doing away with it is a very wise move.

You going to join the AOC party?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: May 23, 2008, 12:59:23 PM

You going to join the AOC party?

If Schild makes it to the end game, I will.  Any game, particularly an MMO, that can keep him hooked that long deserves at least some attention.   

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #42 on: May 25, 2008, 08:05:30 PM

I saw a female demonologist wandering around and her succubus pet was actually male.  I think that's a nice touch.

It was completely outweighed by how terribly buggy the quests in the Khopshef pyramid are though...
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #43 on: May 26, 2008, 02:13:41 PM

I've been bitching enough lately, so here's while I'm playing:

- Interesting classes.  It's nice enough just to have a lack of generic naming.  Most of the classes appeal to me in some way.  Hasn't been that case in a while.
- Fun combat.  AoE melee damage from directional strikes. Combos.  Shielding (although this does remind me a little of AC2's "hit them while they're flashing")
- Fatalities never get old, especially if you're using an edged weapon or flinging fire at someone.
- Specifically designed solo portions of the game.  The rest I've played is also very solo friendly.  I'm sure this may change, everyone seems to fuck up with this initially. However, the solo night instances are just something that I've always wanted in a MMO.  Something that's just about me and my character development.  Also, a nice way to get away from the charming community for a while.
- Environment.  The house in Bubshur (sp) is an amazing Lovecraft inspired crawl into the depths. This game is taking me back a little to EQ zone design where some places specifically have no rails and danger can be found.  I'm liking the darkness they've crafted into parts of this world.  I seriously needed a break from WoW's dungeon design where function and encounter design take the forefront and coherence and overall justice to the theme are tossed by the wayside.
-The promise of something different.  This, however, is where I became part of the problem.  I paid for something I knew was not finished and was likely to involve me quitting in a huff over "the state of the game".  I wanted something different, and new.. and for once it doesn't feel like I'm playing WoW's retarded cousin.

I like the game.  I seriously hope they fix the broken shit in a reasonable time frame.

-Rasix
photek
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: May 26, 2008, 02:34:16 PM

I've been bitching enough lately, so here's while I'm playing:

- Interesting classes.  It's nice enough just to have a lack of generic naming.  Most of the classes appeal to me in some way.  Hasn't been that case in a while.
- Fun combat.  AoE melee damage from directional strikes. Combos.  Shielding (although this does remind me a little of AC2's "hit them while they're flashing")
- Fatalities never get old, especially if you're using an edged weapon or flinging fire at someone.
- Specifically designed solo portions of the game.  The rest I've played is also very solo friendly.  I'm sure this may change, everyone seems to fuck up with this initially. However, the solo night instances are just something that I've always wanted in a MMO.  Something that's just about me and my character development.  Also, a nice way to get away from the charming community for a while.
- Environment.  The house in Bubshur (sp) is an amazing Lovecraft inspired crawl into the depths. This game is taking me back a little to EQ zone design where some places specifically have no rails and danger can be found.  I'm liking the darkness they've crafted into parts of this world.  I seriously needed a break from WoW's dungeon design where function and encounter design take the forefront and coherence and overall justice to the theme are tossed by the wayside.
-The promise of something different.  This, however, is where I became part of the problem.  I paid for something I knew was not finished and was likely to involve me quitting in a huff over "the state of the game".  I wanted something different, and new.. and for once it doesn't feel like I'm playing WoW's retarded cousin.

I like the game.  I seriously hope they fix the broken shit in a reasonable time frame.

I'm seconding this. A few more points I'd like to add :

-The zones are awesome. This goes under the Environment, but stuff like Tortage, Conalls Valley and Stygia are just fantastic. I'm just lvl 35 at the moment, but I hope this trend continues.
-Animations and less level restrictive PvP. Meaning a skilled lvl 30 can kill a lvl 40 player.

"I recently went to a new doctor and noticed he was located in something called the Professional Building. I felt better right away"
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #45 on: May 26, 2008, 02:43:50 PM

Posted today:

Greetings,

There are some points you, our community, would like to get some information about. Or even better have them fixed as soon as possible. While the following is not a real schedule or promise, we would still like to tell you where our focus in regard of fixing open issues lies at the moment. Some of these updates and fixes might come earlier than others But we are working on them and will try to have solutions for them as soon as possible. Some of those points are:

- Tradepost NPCs
- Field of the Dead performance improvment
- UI changes
- Chat colors and fixes
- Various technical issues with hardware configurations

There are of course also other topics we work on but the above mentioned ones are those we feel have to be fixed as soon as possible while still making sure they are fixed correctly and in a persistent manner.

So, I hope that helps to give you a rough overview how things are. Please rest assured that we are indeed listening to your feedback and that it is very important to us to hear what our customers think. Even if you might not always get a direct answer to your questions in a post doesn't mean that we don't notice and forward them to the right people.

We are very much looking forward to the weeks, months and years to come. The launch of an MMO is always just the beginning of an exciting journey. The first step has been made now.

Thank you,

I'm not sure I like the bit where he says it's not a "promise".  Hopefully, that doesn't mean what it says and is just some sort of Norwegian flubberubbery.  This game will not survive months and years unless the PROMISE to fix those things!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
schild
Administrator

Reply #46 on: May 26, 2008, 02:45:43 PM

Ok, so the CRM person is Glen Swan. I'm going to rip him an asshole. Thx.
schild
Administrator

Reply #47 on: May 26, 2008, 02:46:24 PM

UI AND FIELD OF THE DEAD ARE NOT FUCKING IMPORTANT YOU COCKMONGLER.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

Ok, yea, I'm going to get faded on percocet and get to writing later. Sigh. Assholes.

Unfortunate that they made it to the second step, tripped, and landed on their own dicks.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #48 on: May 26, 2008, 02:53:12 PM

Although the complaints about the UI and chat colours on the AoC Offal Forum are prolific, they should know that what is going to ultimately cost them subscribers are the technical and hardware issues, tradepost guys and all that necessary crap you absolutely need to have.  It's good that they acknowledge their customers, but a post like that makes you wonder if they're just telling the trolls and people who whingers what they want to hear.  I don't think this will shut anyone up, though.

Abelian75
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: May 26, 2008, 03:00:37 PM

A professional-looking UI is pretty important, imho... and it's not likely that people who work on UI issues are the same people that work on performance improvements or content additions, so I don't really get the problem there.
schild
Administrator

Reply #50 on: May 26, 2008, 03:08:29 PM

A professional-looking UI is pretty important, imho... and it's not likely that people who work on UI issues are the same people that work on performance improvements or content additions, so I don't really get the problem there.

It doesn't matter who is saying what. It matters what the CRM says to the players. Nothing else. Just that. If he says UI colors and not the fact socketing a gem puts you in a crash loop, schild gets angry. VERY ANGRY.
Abelian75
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: May 26, 2008, 03:10:42 PM

It doesn't matter who is saying what. It matters what the CRM says to the players. Nothing else. Just that. If he says UI colors and not the fact socketing a gem puts you in a crash loop, schild gets angry. VERY ANGRY.

OK, that is a fair point, I wasn't really noticing the lack of "shit that is just plain broke-dick" on that list.

Wasn't there some funcom post that described crafting as "in a state of complete chaos?"  That's some, uh, honesty right there.
schild
Administrator

Reply #52 on: May 26, 2008, 03:11:22 PM

Not good enough. I'm going to show them what complete chaos looks like.
schild
Administrator

Reply #53 on: May 26, 2008, 03:26:23 PM

* Playercity buildings being destroyable at the moment
    * Exploits concerning different classes
    * Getting stuck in some playfields and unable to log back in with that character
    * Download of additonal big patches
    * Parts of the Destiny Quests which can not be finished correctly
    * Quest Log getting full
    * /claim not getting all the pre-order items
    * Socketed Items raise problems with other items

Tarib still doesn't get it. Better than the original post, but I'm still ANGERERERRERERRRRY.
Grand Design
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: May 26, 2008, 05:58:00 PM

In lieu of a wordy post pointing out why this game rocks, I instead offer a video clip in which you will find  interactive combat, well scripted events, a touch of the mature and, of course, a volcanic eruption from which I must escape having just replaced the sacrificial virgin's blood with that of a whore. 

Did I mention enraged cannibalistic slaves? 

Apparently you can make this shit up.

The combat system in this game addresses a long standing problem in the genre.  I think that aspiration alone will be the standard to which future mmos are held.  It is a step in the right direction that has been ignored by other more prominent and less interesting titles. 
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: May 26, 2008, 07:10:51 PM

Interesting, your evil priestess was broken. For me, she animated bowing down and then emptying the vial into the lava.

Just wondering, is your jump animation broken too? (Works fine for me, but I've seen other folks complain).

- Viin
Nerf
Terracotta Army

The Presence of Your Vehicle Has Been Documented

Reply #56 on: May 27, 2008, 01:45:30 AM

I like that I've said "Woah!" more times playing AoC than any other game.  They really nailed alot of the little things that add a certain flavor.
Grand Design
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: May 27, 2008, 03:16:47 AM

Interesting, your evil priestess was broken. For me, she animated bowing down and then emptying the vial into the lava.

Just wondering, is your jump animation broken too? (Works fine for me, but I've seen other folks complain).

In the high-res version, you can see the priestess pouring out the blood, but she doesn't move anywhere.  I had my suspicion that she should have done ... something.

You missed the most obvious bug - my  this guy looks legit Shaman's skin is stained blue because just before this video, a Heretic killed me with a lightening spell.  When I rezzed, I was a blue as Violet Beauregarde.

I think my jump animation works, although it is funny looking.  Since this is the Like thread, I'll just say that I like it when bugs aren't show-stoppers.  The only show-stopper I've seen so far was an important quest NPC not being in the location that they should have in an instance.  It happened a couple of times, requiring me to exit the instance and re-enter.  Blue skin and animations that don't trigger I can deal with.

I like that I've said "Woah!" more times playing AoC than any other game.  They really nailed alot of the little things that add a certain flavor.

This game has, more than once, reduced me to a giggling idiot.  Its nice to have fun while playing a fantasy mmo, and Funcom brought the fun.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: May 27, 2008, 04:01:52 AM

The one thing everyone seems to like in the combat system. But if you have lag does the combat system get a whole lot less fun? (anyone knwying from australia?)
pants
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: May 27, 2008, 04:06:39 AM

But if you have lag does the combat system get a whole lot less fun? (anyone knwying from australia?)

According to the appropriate threads on overclockers.com.au and whirlpool.net.au, ping times are roundabout 300ms or so, which is pretty respectable, and noone is complaining about laggy combat.  Complaints are pretty much the same as what people are saying here.
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: May 27, 2008, 05:25:17 AM

The Tortage story line is pretty damn cool especially when you get different pieces of it depending on what archetype you play. It's not quite enough to completely negate the repetitiveness of it, but it does help a bit. Rogues, so far, have the coolest bit, imo.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #61 on: May 27, 2008, 09:58:57 AM

Don't know if it has been mentioned here yet, but the swimming animation is the best of any game released to date.

Also, you can go off the rails and explore geometry quite a bit in some places. Don't confine yourself to the roads.

I have never played WoW.
schild
Administrator

Reply #62 on: May 27, 2008, 09:59:36 AM

I'm a mountain climbing fiend. My shoes have tank treads. I can go over ANYTHING.

This game is closer to Oblivion than to WoW.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #63 on: May 27, 2008, 10:12:46 AM

Also, you can go off the rails and explore geometry quite a bit in some places. Don't confine yourself to the roads.

Yes, that is cool and something I've actually missed since games like EQ and AC.  I've found some interesting paths just in places like White Sands.

-Rasix
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #64 on: May 27, 2008, 11:13:57 AM

I've wandered around and found a couple of interesting places not associated with any quest I've had and I've found a few unusual bosses, but so far, I haven't found anything interesting to do in any of those interesting places and the bosses, for the most part, don't drop anything at all.

Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: May 27, 2008, 11:17:28 AM

I've wandered around and found a couple of interesting places not associated with any quest I've had and I've found a few unusual bosses, but so far, I haven't found anything interesting to do in any of those interesting places and the bosses, for the most part, don't drop anything at all.

Agree, two ape bosses and a tiger boss (which is a Junlge Book homage) in White Sands, and a snake boss in the harbor cave.  They all drop nada.  This word "boss", I don't think it means what funcom thinks it means.
Nerf
Terracotta Army

The Presence of Your Vehicle Has Been Documented

Reply #66 on: May 27, 2008, 11:19:38 AM

I really like the arena in the tarantia noble district, even if it is a bit buggy.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #67 on: May 27, 2008, 11:20:29 AM

Agree, two ape bosses and a tiger boss (which is a Junlge Book homage) in White Sands, and a snake boss in the harbor cave.  They all drop nada.  This word "boss", I don't think it means what funcom thinks it means.

Those are mostly the ones I'm talking about.  I haven't found a quest associated with them, either, though maybe there is for some class I've not tried yet or I just somehow missed the quest giver.  I've out-leveled them with my main, in any case. 

schild
Administrator

Reply #68 on: May 27, 2008, 11:21:43 AM

Of the 3 most important things to me that are problematic with the game, Itemization pre level-40 is #2. 1 and 3 will be divulged most certainly later.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: May 27, 2008, 11:30:59 AM

Those are mostly the ones I'm talking about.  I haven't found a quest associated with them, either, though maybe there is for some class I've not tried yet or I just somehow missed the quest giver.  I've out-leveled them with my main, in any case. 

Same here - I did every quest in Tortage that I could find, all the way to the end, and I don't know what the scoop is one those bosses.  My gut says that someone in funcom likes the concept of bosses/rare spawns just out in the wild waiting to be found by explorers, but the itemization just isn't fully baked yet.

Something else that makes me think this is the case are the gorilla's in the very first part of the game.  At first they didn't drop banannas, now they do (I'm not sure if there was a patch between when they didn't, and when they started to).  So it seems that loot isn't done yet.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Let's be useful: Things You Like  
Jump to: