Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:05:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Hellgate: London  |  Topic: expletive deleted superfail expletive deleted 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: expletive deleted superfail expletive deleted  (Read 239751 times)
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #245 on: November 06, 2007, 01:49:39 PM

Just lost armor and items out of my inventory.  Up to now I've been pretty forgiving but this is getting more bush league every day.

If you de-mod an item and the game teleports you to a new lobby, and you close the de-mod (which would normally place the items in your inventory), you'll lose some of the items.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
schild
Administrator

Reply #246 on: November 06, 2007, 02:10:05 PM

People who play hardcore mode get over that sort of stuff real real quick. ^_^
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #247 on: November 06, 2007, 02:12:06 PM

Head scratch

-Rasix
schild
Administrator

Reply #248 on: November 06, 2007, 02:14:00 PM

Head scratch

The loss of items is not the same as the loss of a character.

I love me some hardcore mode.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #249 on: November 06, 2007, 02:25:27 PM

It's at this point that I could say "If your /played reaches 20 hours, the game reaches out and rips the skin off your face!" and schild will immediately follow-up with "Think of the money you'd save on facial care products!"  awesome, for real

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #250 on: November 06, 2007, 03:07:59 PM

It's at this point that I could say "If your /played reaches 20 hours, the game reaches out and rips the skin off your face!" and schild will immediately follow-up with "Think of the money you'd save on facial care products!"  awesome, for real

Actually, it helps if you realized that in the real world, you still /played 20 hours of video games and didn't earn anything except /played 20 hours of fun.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #251 on: November 06, 2007, 03:29:33 PM

I wouldn't say my /played of Hellgate was fun.  That's why it's currently not incrementing.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #252 on: November 06, 2007, 04:45:17 PM

So we're finally playing Hardcore characters?  I still really can't stand playing HG:L...

1.  No chat = this game is single player for me.
2.  Tried to group with RL friend = whoever zoned in first couldn't see the other person.
3.  Party system itself was poorly explained, seperate loot tables are the lose.  Half the fun/reason to pay close attention in Diablo was to steal lewtz.  I miss that "feature"

Mostly though, no-chat = fucking failure.  I mean for real.  How do you fuck up a chat system, just copy Every Other Fucking Multiplayer Online Game Made In The Last Decade.

One plus side, when duo'ing the monsters actually were interesting to fight because they didn't die like bitches.  Sadly the exp gain seemd to suck which may have been because I was 6 or so levels higher then him.  I didn't stick around long enough to test.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
schild
Administrator

Reply #253 on: November 06, 2007, 04:51:10 PM

Why do you keep saying no chat? You just don't like that chat doesn't mean there isn't any.
bhodikhan
Terracotta Army

Reply #254 on: November 06, 2007, 05:22:19 PM

The chat needs to be integrated into the client without opening up a chat window. Being able to chat with others is an important feature. I know it's not WOW but having to pop open a window to read the chat is stupid as hell. It's time that communication in a MULTI-PLAYER game actually isn't a pain in the ass.

Bunch of monkeys on crack could have done better is my opinion the more I play. I'm getting fucking pissed off at some of the stupid decisions that were made.

schild
Administrator

Reply #255 on: November 06, 2007, 05:53:37 PM

Yes, a lot of the ancillary decisions that were made are horrible.

Good thing the game itself is fun.
geldonyetich2
Terracotta Army

Reply #256 on: November 06, 2007, 05:59:44 PM

Spot on.  The game is good, buggy here and there, but good.  That's the important thing.

[/Support stemming from unexpected source of the past ghastliness reaching "Cthulu-revelation" levels]
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 06:04:21 PM by geldonyetich2 »
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #257 on: November 06, 2007, 06:02:32 PM

wtf?  shocked

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
geldonyetich2
Terracotta Army

Reply #258 on: November 06, 2007, 06:04:53 PM

Edited for clarity.  And because I'm an edit whore.  You know, both reasons are good.
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #259 on: November 06, 2007, 06:13:44 PM

Just like Vanguard eh?  this guy looks legit

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #260 on: November 06, 2007, 06:13:53 PM

geldonyetich2
Terracotta Army

Reply #261 on: November 06, 2007, 06:20:30 PM

Me and Vanguard are no longer on speaking terms.  I'm continuing to pay alimony, though.  Deep, emotionally scarring, alimony.
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #262 on: November 06, 2007, 09:44:37 PM

What kind of performance am I expecting with this sort of rig:
8600gt+2gb ram

What resolution can I play smoothly at? Cause I borrowed my friend's DVD to test out single player and it's kinda 'sluggish' at max.

schild
Administrator

Reply #263 on: November 06, 2007, 09:51:18 PM

I have an 8600GTS and 2GB RAM.

I run with all the important shit on high (textures, etc). But no anti-aliasing, because I don't believe in it.

I get 60FPS outside of bad stations.
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #264 on: November 06, 2007, 10:00:39 PM

wow. something must be wrong with my system. will try to turn off AA later.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #265 on: November 06, 2007, 11:17:39 PM

So I found some toxic damage, I beat the minigame 4 times, finally got a weapon upgrade for the first time in forever and things were moving along, ding'd twice, got to a nice stopping point.  Sorted through bank and scrapped bad mods that only had one modifier or did shit like % vrs X mob type or shield overload...

Perfect night of playing this type of game.  Fun times, could have used more grouping & I still can't believe what a bad job I apparently did of doing the quests in the right order so I don't have to repeat zones over and over.

BUT...

The guild has hella people, and there is no way to scroll through them.  Idiotic.

The Buddylist really might as well not exist because it actually managed to suck more then the chat window.  Its bigger, and in a more annoying spot.  Also the feedback it gives you is ass.  The chat window still sucks btw but somehow I've learned to just live with its suckiness for now.  I hope they do a UI overhaul patch though at around the 3-5 month mark because the game desperately needs it and right now I just can't in good faith give a glowing recommendation of this game due to its abject failure to function in any sort of helpful way.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #266 on: November 07, 2007, 02:54:24 AM

"Cthulu-revelation"

Cthulu "revelation"? Seriously, this is the box art again....

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
EvilJohn
Developers

Realtime Worlds

Reply #267 on: November 07, 2007, 05:52:59 AM

<snip>
2.  Tried to group with RL friend = whoever zoned in first couldn't see the other person.
<snip>

Far as I can tell, this just started happening after the Monday patch, and it is amazingly borked. I duo (I am the guardian, friend is the marksman) and we're currently working our way through Act 4 (first time through).

About every other zone (except in stations), one of us is completely invisible (including mini-map) to the other one, and it usually requires multiple re-zonings and/or the group leader to kick (which ports the kicked member to the station) / re-invite / party portal to clear up for that zone. Of course, next zone it generally happens again.

I've also noticed an offshoot of this, where we can see each other, but one of us is completely out-of-sync with the NPCs... I can't hit them, they don't respond to me, it is like I am invisible until I get kicked or leave the party because I can't just zone as no portal or zone line works when I am in this state. Eventually it just ports me back to the zone-in once it syncs up, and everything in the damn zone is aggro and running towards me.

I've basically ignored or accepted just about every other complaint I would normally have because I (much like a few vocal others here) find that the loot satisfies the loot whore trapped inside me. I really enjoy the core gameplay, but everything wrapped around is mired down in poor choices imo.

Ah well. PS: I haven't been on TS (even after bugging to get an account) because I've been playing on Sydonai instead of Shulgoth. Population is much lower in the stations which is really nice :) (very few random portings)

EJ Moreland 'UncleEej'
Director of Business Planning, All Points Bulletin
Realtime Worlds
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #268 on: November 07, 2007, 06:01:06 AM

Since this is the bitching thread... Yea, same issues here with grouping - can't see each other randomly, last night I couldn't invite a friend to group but he could group me, also had a group of three where I could read thier chat but nothing I said showed up for them. Also, not being able to open/close chat when your inventory window is open = fail, considering that the chat window obscures half of your inventory.

All that said, still loving the game.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #269 on: November 07, 2007, 06:20:33 AM

The can't see eachother thing (for me, Furiously, and Falwell) is new as of last patch.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #270 on: November 07, 2007, 06:41:01 AM

Funny how perception works.  In ANY MMO the chat is optional.  It's in a window that can easily be closed and you can leave any channel anytime you want.

But, because HG:L defaults to the chat window being closed rather than open the more myopic people complain that there is no chat.

I'm not sure why they changed it from beta, where it would fade unless you moused over it (which is how I play in every MMO that offers it) but, there ya go.  I guess maybe pressing alt to control the mouse was too obscure?

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #271 on: November 07, 2007, 06:45:27 AM

guess maybe pressing alt to control the mouse was too obscure?

Not only is alt obscure, but so is figuring out by random guesswork that a light grey triangle by a health meter means 'Click me for chatzors!'.

Chat doesn't even appear as one of the big yellow icons that show up when you hold down alt.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #272 on: November 07, 2007, 07:02:15 AM

Hitting the tilde (~/`) key does open and close the chat window, but only when not viewing any other UI window.

The main problem with the open/close chat area is that it auto closes on it's own every time you zone, as well as not responding to the tilde when you need chat closed (like when viewing the bank, inventory or sales windows).

I totally don't understand why players couldn't have a choice of the beta fading chat window, and this new open/close window, plus chat needs a way to customize chat messages or text size (because this chat is nearly unreadable for me).

The people designing this game could've maybe researched how actual MMOs handle chat and community options (guild and friends windows are OMG fail!), but instead they chose to throw a totally restrictive and stupid interface at gamers.

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #273 on: November 07, 2007, 07:33:25 AM

Ixxit
Terracotta Army

Reply #274 on: November 07, 2007, 08:40:58 AM

I agree, they really need to fix the chat and social tools in this game immediately if they to develop  any sort of multiplayer community, which directly  tranlates to people willing to pay a monthly fee.

I played for about an hour last night to finish up act one (which was very cool by the way -->Mission Goal:  SURVIVE  awesome, for real), and when I was back in the station, opened up the chat window, and it was pretty much empty except for the system messages and a lone  Hello?Huh Anyone there?Huh  LOLLLLZ ....." from some lonely player.  Yeah I scrolled all the way up to where I entered the game and joined the chat channels.  That's pretty lame imo.  Last week the chat was very  busy, and while this may not happen all the time, as you see still see chat happening now and then(although with a lot less frequency) it is a pretty good indicator  that while people are playing online as you see them in the hubs, that many are playing playing it like a single player game, or with their friends.  With all the reports here and elsewhere with problems with guilds,  friends lists, grouping probems etc  I would wager that many have even abandoned that and have gone back to solo.

Why is Flagship releasing this new Fawkes content when they don't even have the basics working or even developed  to encourage  the multiplayer aspect which in the end will get more people to subscribe.  Very puzzling.

Don't get me wrong, I'm having a blast with the game and hooked in a way that I want to complete it, then maybe play it a few more times.  At this point though, I don't see the value in paying a monthly fee until they get their ****** together.

I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #275 on: November 07, 2007, 08:44:24 AM

Whoever was ragging on the writing:

The Lucidious/Techsmith plot line has had me in stitches the last few nights.  I'm just about to enter the imagination.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #276 on: November 07, 2007, 09:10:49 AM

Yeah the 314 stuff and Ando (sp?) are the best. The invisible party thing sucks, but hopefully will be fixed soon.
On the plus side, even when I couldn't see Schild and Falwell, I wasn't desync'd.

I miss the fading chat, and the chat box blocking ui elements is all part of the failure for the ui to allow rearrangement. Or scaling. At least the memory leak is getting slowly minimized, and my fps keeps going up. 1920x1200 everything maxed in dx9, AA at 'medium' I get a minimum of 30fps, even in the flaming zones. I'm not sure why my AA keeps going to medium, I don't see much difference and would prefer it off.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #277 on: November 07, 2007, 09:17:08 AM

Whoever was ragging on the writing:

The Lucidious/Techsmith plot line has had me in stitches the last few nights.  I'm just about to enter the imagination.

I pay attention to stuff that stands out.  I do have an appreciation for writing and lore in games, because that's what I want to get myself into one day, but Hellgate's attempt at it is piss-poor.  They have a pretty serious real-life setting that they try to inject Warcraft-style humor into that just does not mesh well.  A little humor here and there is good, but it seems like they don't want you to take this game's background seriously at all.  How am I when I've got people who treat the loss of their loved ones as comedy rather than tragedy (Rob Someone for example) or when I'm constantly looking for that next pop culture reference I know is going to appear? The only thing genuinely funny and well-written was the Act 2 storyline with the face-fucking demon, but part of me wishes that was a part of another game, like an M-Rated Tim Schafer jaunt.

awesome, for real

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #278 on: November 07, 2007, 09:31:46 AM

the British Museum game stopper is fixed-z0r. 

It was when you zoned back from Hell and were jumped by the statues coming to life.  During that fight a portal to "Truth" appears.  For many people, that portal timed out during the fight, or broke when they died and rezed, or broke when they won and teleported back to Charing Cross or broke because they looked at it funny.  Seriously. 

Horrible fail.  You literally couldn't proceed with anything in the game until it was fixed.

Game still runs like shit for me.  Lowest of all settings with 3Gigs of RAM etc etc etc.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #279 on: November 07, 2007, 09:38:05 AM

Ah sorry Lore, my attention span is infamous.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Hellgate: London  |  Topic: expletive deleted superfail expletive deleted  
Jump to: