Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:45:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: The New Captain America 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The New Captain America  (Read 14129 times)
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: January 07, 2008, 07:49:43 PM

I don't sweat it too much - I file it along with such things as "people of the Marvel Universe hate and fear Wolverine because he's a mutant with weird powers, but throw parades for Thor and Mr Fantastic" as inconsistencies Marvel doesn't really deal with.
That's why the X-books used to be kept mostly separate from the others.  Yes it was the same universe, but we could ignore it when they never crossed paths.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #36 on: January 31, 2008, 12:31:47 AM

So, issue #34 then:

- The uniform looks a lot better in the book than it does in the promotional art.  Of course this issue takes place entirely at night, so that might help a bit.

- The first time he uses his gun is the best moment in the book.  No kidding.

- Bucky as Cap is a bit an awkward fit, and it's supposed to be.  Yeah, I miss having a Cap book with Cap in it, but it's Marvel so we know it's going to get back to that point eventually, and in the meantime we have a Bucky and Black Widow team-up.

- Still one of the only books for your non-douchebag Stark fix.

- The last page is pretty brutal for a mainstream Marvel book.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #37 on: January 31, 2008, 08:51:06 AM

Haven't read it yet. Joe Q. was on The Colbert Report Tuesday night whoring it up, and is apparently letting the artists run Colbert '08 ads throughout the backgrounds of the books so that Colbert will keep pimping Marvel stuff. He whores up the Skrull invasion and the new Captain America as well.

Belle Elegant
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: January 31, 2008, 08:47:51 PM

I looked at the promotional art.  It looks good but I have one question.

Why is Captain America wearing Puerto Rico's flag?
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: February 01, 2008, 04:53:55 AM

It was done well. Anything can work if it's written right. Anything can fail if it's written poorly. If you can't write good stories with a married Spider-Man, for example, then your problem isn't "Spider-Man is married", it's "our writers suck". Brubaker basically does every book he's on really well, but this is one of his best books in recent years. Even the gun didn't bother me, precisely because it emphasizes the strangeness-of-Bucky/Winter Soldier-as-Cap that the book worked off of really well. It wasn't like Bucky put on the suit and instantly was making speeches about the spirit of America from the steps of Capitol Hill.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #40 on: February 01, 2008, 08:23:05 AM

Read it. If it were a less talented writer than Brubaker, it would have sucked. As it is, it's ok, but I'm just not buying that Bucky will be the permanent Captain America. My enjoyment of the story is really tainted by the ridiculous steps they've taken editorially with Spider-Man.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: February 01, 2008, 10:19:40 AM

I agree that he's not going to be Cap for a long time. They've even got a natural story-telling window coming where they can reintroduce Steve Rogers completely within the norms of comic-book narrative, namely, the combination of the Skrull plot and Nick Fury-as-hidden-manipulator. If Fury saw a lot of this coming, it makes perfect sense that he could have set up "Steve Rogers" to be assassinated while getting the real Cap out of the way. Maybe that's even what the surrender in the last Civil War issue was all about: Fury came to Cap before the attack on the Negative Zone prison and said, "Look, it's the Skrulls, man, they're playing all you guys for patsies. Here's what we'll do--you wait until the middle of the fight, suddenly surrender, I'll sneak you out of custody and we'll replace you with a body double or a clone or something". So in the middle of the Secret Invasion, ta-da, here's Steve Rogers back again, right when things seem most dire. A grateful world agrees to revoke the Registration Act, particularly once they learn it was a Skrull plot in the first place. Etc.

I agree, though, that Quesada's horrible creative judgement plus the over-Bendisization of Marvel is keeping me from enjoying even books I ought to be enjoying.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #42 on: February 01, 2008, 11:19:01 AM

That Nick Fury plot? Either you probably just stole Bendis' playbook, or it's just that Marvel is so hackneyed with their explanations for things now, it's easy to see where they are going. It would also, no offense to your writing or narrative skills, suck it. And mainly because I'm really sick of them taking copouts on things.

If you want to kill Captain America, KILL HIM AND KEEP HIM DEAD. If you replace him with a pretender, give me a Wally West... make the pretender end up as good as the original. Otherwise you have Bart Allen getting ganked a year after his relaunch because the writers are no-talent assclowns. Despite the good results in Hal Jordan's return, I kind of wish he'd stayed dead because Rayner had finally lived up to the Green Lantern name.

The Skrull Invasion plot has the very real possibility of allowing Marvel to unfuck all of their fuckups of the last few years by just going "LOLSKRULLZ!" Either have death and other changes like the Registration shit be real consequences or continue to do the standard formulaic stuff. This half-assed story stuff has got to stop.

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: February 01, 2008, 01:36:38 PM

You know what would be a better way to bring back Steve Rogers? Tie in Marvel 1602.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: February 01, 2008, 02:42:12 PM

I'm not saying it's good--I'm saying that that's a natural place for them to do the inevitable. The really smart story would be to not kill Steve Rogers.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #45 on: February 01, 2008, 02:47:21 PM

Na, the "smart" move is to make the Undertaker Captain America powered by Red Bull.

"Me am play gods"
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: February 01, 2008, 07:31:02 PM

- Still one of the only books for your non-douchebag Stark fix.

That's why I liked the beginning of Mighty Avengers.  Ms. Marvel + a dead Iron Man = Heart.

And then he had to be... not dead.  That was totally not awesome.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: The New Captain America  
Jump to: