Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 07:21:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: The New Captain America 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The New Captain America  (Read 14237 times)
Velorath
Contributor

on: October 11, 2007, 02:02:19 PM

I thought about calling this thread "MARVEL HAS INVADED MY MOTHERFUCKING", but Brubaker has done solid work on Cap, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, and it also helps that the new design is by Alex Ross.  But still, Cap with a Gun?!?  Obviously, we're meant to think that this new Cap is Bucky.  I'm not sure if Bru is just going with the obvious outcome, or if this is all some sort of misdirection.  More concept art if you follow the link.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 02:21:27 PM

Cap with a gun = The Punisher

The real Cap was definitely not down wit it (remember he kicked Castle's ass in Civil War for blasting someone?). But since Frank is such a fanboy, and already wanted to be a copycat in the first place, my guess is that it's him. Or it may as well be.

[EDIT] The black suit seems to indicate that too.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 02:28:04 PM by Stray »
Mazakiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 02:43:37 PM

Hmmm, so between Bucky and Punisher, we have a cyborg type and a 'kill 'em all' type.  All we need is Iron Man painted in the stars and stripes, and a clone using Steve Rogers' and the Red Skulls combined DNA.   
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 02:44:55 PM

I think they already did the Punisher as Cap storyline (or are in the middle of it) over in one of the Punisher books.  Also, throwing the Punisher into the book wouldn't fit at all with what Brubaker has been doing.  It almost has to be Bucky/Winter Soldier (who did take the shield, and also uses a fairly similar gun at times).

Edit:

« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 02:49:22 PM by Velorath »
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 11:12:32 AM

It'll be Bucky. And despite the good writing Brubaker has done, it's going to be raping the goddamn name. Of course, it isn't like I didn't expect it, but fuck sometimes I hate it when I'm right.

Joe Q seems dead set on fucking Marvel Comics into the ground with Bendis as his go-go Gadgetcock.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 11:16:08 AM

If it is Bucky though, I'm wondering if the gun will actually be used for anything lethal, given that he wasn't willing to kill Crossbones an issue back.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 09:57:16 AM

Look like, Red skull finally won.

"Shoot me down, and your conversion will be complete!"

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Cim
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 09:29:04 PM

HOLY CRAP IS HE SHINY!! WHAT THE HECK?! MY EYES!!

But serious, what the hell? Why is he so shiny?  And...gun?

Theres a place on your face that can save the human race, its called a smile, the positivity that it creates takes awhile, but the grin will turn an inch into a mile.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 12:24:56 AM

HOLY CRAP IS HE SHINY!! WHAT THE HECK?! MY EYES!!

But serious, what the hell? Why is he so shiny?  And...gun?

He's shiny because that part of the costume is supposed to be metal.  I'm not sure if will be that shiny in the interior art, or if it's mostly just going to be on Alex Ross' cover art.  The gun may or may not be used lethally, don't know yet.
Cim
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: December 13, 2007, 05:46:27 AM

So in that string of comic books, all metal is going to be HOLY CRAP SHINY SHINY SHINY?  Ditch the gun! I don't care if he uses it or not.  He could kill a man with his shield for all I care, but no guns at all.

Theres a place on your face that can save the human race, its called a smile, the positivity that it creates takes awhile, but the grin will turn an inch into a mile.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #10 on: December 13, 2007, 05:49:15 AM

Captain America should have a gun that shoots shields.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 12:08:03 PM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #11 on: December 13, 2007, 12:00:43 PM

So in that string of comic books, all metal is going to be HOLY CRAP SHINY SHINY SHINY?

Alex Ross.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Cim
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: December 13, 2007, 02:25:34 PM

This sucks. ;_;

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #13 on: December 13, 2007, 02:50:37 PM

This sucks. ;_;

I'm not entirely sold on the costume design, but Brubaker's done a great job of writing so far.
Cim
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: December 13, 2007, 04:53:07 PM

Hopefully he gets rid of the whole super shiny deal.  It looks cool, just too shiny.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #15 on: January 04, 2008, 12:10:00 PM

So I've read Cap #33. And unless they pull a huge trick next issue, Bucky/Winter Soldier WILL be the new Captain America.

Le sigh. I hate being right.

Cim
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: January 04, 2008, 03:18:02 PM

I'm crying a tear AND OMG IT IS SO COLD IT HAS FROZEN TO MY FACE!

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #17 on: January 04, 2008, 03:33:29 PM

Personally I'm liking the storyline so far (mind you I also liked when John Walker took over as Captain America).  I think it's an interesting concept putting a psychologically damaged Bucky into a position where he's trying to live up his best friend's (who happens to be Captain America) legacy.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #18 on: January 04, 2008, 07:17:20 PM

There's a pretty good reason I stopped reading Marvel comics in the mid-90s.  This is a big part of it.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #19 on: January 05, 2008, 01:53:35 AM

There's a pretty good reason I stopped reading Marvel comics in the mid-90s.  This is a big part of it.

Good writing and art?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #20 on: January 05, 2008, 09:53:36 AM

I've liked Brubaker on Capt. America, right up until they killed Steve Rogers. Then... not so much. It's not as bad as Bendis on... well, anything these days, but it's missing something. Oh yes, it's missing Captain America. And it has way too much Tony Stark, a character that I absolutely cannot fucking stand anymore. I think that's likely my biggest problem with the new Captain story, they are trying to portray Stark as sympathetic. And I just have no sympathy left for the character.

The consequences of Civil War are that I just can't be in anyway sympathetic to many of the characters, such as Stark and Reed Richards. Fuck, they've even managed to make Prof. Xavier into a complete cockbag, and mostly because they are writing these characters so counter to what they've been for 30 years.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #21 on: January 05, 2008, 04:12:50 PM

I've liked Brubaker on Capt. America, right up until they killed Steve Rogers. Then... not so much. It's not as bad as Bendis on... well, anything these days, but it's missing something. Oh yes, it's missing Captain America. And it has way too much Tony Stark, a character that I absolutely cannot fucking stand anymore. I think that's likely my biggest problem with the new Captain story, they are trying to portray Stark as sympathetic. And I just have no sympathy left for the character.

The consequences of Civil War are that I just can't be in anyway sympathetic to many of the characters, such as Stark and Reed Richards. Fuck, they've even managed to make Prof. Xavier into a complete cockbag, and mostly because they are writing these characters so counter to what they've been for 30 years.

I'm not going to let what Bendis does with Tony Stark in his shitty books ruin my enjoyment of how Brubaker writes him in Cap.  And sure Steve Rogers is missing from the book right now, but the only reason I give a shit about that in the first place is because Brubaker is the first writer since Gruenwald who actually made me like the character.

Oh, and Xavier was alway a bit of a cockbag.  Recruiting teenagers to form his own personal superhero team is only just barely more responsible than Batman recruiting orphans in their early teens to help fight crime in the slums of a crime-ridden city, with an outfit that offers no protection and has a bullet magnet color scheme.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: January 05, 2008, 04:20:27 PM

Oh, and Xavier was alway a bit of a cockbag.  Recruiting teenagers to form his own personal superhero team is only just barely more responsible than Batman recruiting orphans in their early teens to help fight crime in the slums of a crime-ridden city, with an outfit that offers no protection and has a bullet magnet color scheme.
Guns can only point in one direction.  Better at the kid than at the Bat.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #23 on: January 05, 2008, 10:00:09 PM

But at least Xavier was a sympathetic cockbag. He had a compassion that is completely lacking in the way anyone writes him now. And they've gone back and retconned in all this cold-hearted bullshit, such as Vulcan, the sentient Danger Room and the whole Illuminati thing to make him much more of a cockbag than he ever really was. As for the recruiting teenagers thing, I always took that as a comic book thing. Sure, it's stupid and dangerous, but it's comic books. It's just one of those things you accept as natural to that universe, the same as radioactivity causing a blind kid to have a radar sense and put on devil-flavored spandex.

Superheroes as a whole just fall down when you apply real-world thinking to them.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #24 on: January 05, 2008, 10:59:04 PM

I don't know, I find it hard to get worked up much over anything they do to Prof. X, as I think the X-men really outgrew the need for having him around a couple decades back.
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #25 on: January 06, 2008, 11:24:14 AM

You could also argue that it's not so much that he specifically goes looking for teenagers to recruit as it is the fault of the mutation process that it manifests during the teenage years.  He's historically been against letting the youngest generation out to do any real superhero-ing.  But you have to pick up these kids and train them when the powers manifest, lest they hurt themselves or others.

I have to agree that retconning in all these borderline evil, manipulative things to Prof. X is silly.  It reduces his position as a character, not to mention the whole MLK/Malcolm X allegory.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #26 on: January 06, 2008, 06:27:10 PM

I find it funny that Prof. X's solution to human / mutant relations was to train up mutants into a paramilitary force that does what it wants, when it wants, with no real kind of civilian oversight nor any real human involvement whatsoever.

Yeah, I'm sure that makes the humans feel real comfortable about mutants with groups like the X-Men running around  awesome, for real

schild
Administrator

Reply #27 on: January 06, 2008, 11:04:14 PM

Cap having a gun makes Cap interesting.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: January 07, 2008, 02:24:42 AM

Guns can only point in one direction.  Better at the kid than at the Bat.
That was one of the things I liked in DKR (back before Frank Miller went completely off the deep end) - bad guy shoots at Batman, hits BRIGHT YELLOW Batman symbol on chest...which (naturally) has a kevlar lining behind it. Batman self-narrates something like "Why do you think I wear a target on my chest? I can't bulletproof the cowl".

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #29 on: January 07, 2008, 02:31:38 AM

I think only a tiny fraction of the kids at the Xavier school are equipped or sent out for fighting (i.e. "X-Men"). He's just trying to educate fucked up and lost mutant kids. If there's any real douchebaggy thing about him, it's that he thinks he knows best. But the thing is, he does.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #30 on: January 07, 2008, 08:22:26 AM

Professor X wasn't training kids to fight humans, he was training the kids to protect themselves from 1) humans who want to kill mutants, 2) mutants who want to kill humans and any mutants who will protect them and 3) their own powers getting out of control and getting them in trouble with all of the above. It wasn't like the X-Men were a paramilitary force trying to overthrow the government. Granted, humans probably don't see it that way, but that's the benefit of being the audience.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #31 on: January 07, 2008, 11:00:52 AM

BTW, the doucheifying of Xavier actually started back in the '90's with Uncanny #309 (the issue detailing his relationship with Amelia Voght, among other things).
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #32 on: January 07, 2008, 12:02:49 PM

Professor X wasn't training kids to fight humans, he was training the kids to protect themselves from 1) humans who want to kill mutants, 2) mutants who want to kill humans and any mutants who will protect them and 3) their own powers getting out of control and getting them in trouble with all of the above. It wasn't like the X-Men were a paramilitary force trying to overthrow the government. Granted, humans probably don't see it that way, but that's the benefit of being the audience.

Don't forget about the stealth jet fighter and the advanced alien technology he hoards away from the government.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #33 on: January 07, 2008, 12:30:47 PM

Don't forget about the stealth jet fighter and the advanced alien technology he hoards away from the government.

One could have said the same about the Avengers, or the Fantastic Four or really any super-team before the Avengers were given UN status.

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #34 on: January 07, 2008, 05:31:01 PM

Problem is that, good intentions or not, the X-Men operate completely independently and have often acted in ways that probably aren't in the long-term interests of anyone but themselves (such as: any time they let Magneto walk away alive because "killing another mutant isn't the X-Men way" or whatever, or letting Jean Grey back into the team no matter what the Phoenix Force is up to at that point in time). They are a mutant defence force who can appear any time, any where and destroy whole cities. While Prof. X proclaims he just wants to help mutants and humans co-exist, he certainly doesn't bring humans into any of his planning other than as afterthoughts.

I don't sweat it too much - I file it along with such things as "people of the Marvel Universe hate and fear Wolverine because he's a mutant with weird powers, but throw parades for Thor and Mr Fantastic" as inconsistencies Marvel doesn't really deal with.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: The New Captain America  
Jump to: