Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 12:48:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Carbine Studios' "Wildstar" 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carbine Studios' "Wildstar"  (Read 978190 times)
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #3360 on: October 05, 2015, 03:54:11 PM

From the little I have played of this game, being a healer here is the video game translation to herding cats.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #3361 on: March 11, 2016, 03:50:43 PM

Well, it looks like the end could be in sight for WildStar since Carbine laid off 60 people today while there's speculation the rest only have about 2 months before the game is closed down for good.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/632/view/news/read/38685/WildStar-Several-Carbine-Devs-Laid-Off.html
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3362 on: March 11, 2016, 04:40:47 PM

I'm sure the artists and marketing people will find work easily.  The game developers... should probably find a new line of work. 

Punishing people for wanting to play your game was a REALLY bad idea.  Let's hope it never happens again. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #3363 on: March 11, 2016, 06:07:23 PM

We're making a HARDCORE game for the HARDCORE raider!

*dies*

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #3364 on: March 11, 2016, 08:10:57 PM

Best marketing ever but the game itself was such a huge disappointment...

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #3365 on: March 11, 2016, 09:10:24 PM

I tried 3 times to get into this game and just couldnt, not even after F2P.  Game wasn't bad, just nothing to hook me and didnt offer anything unique. 
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #3366 on: March 12, 2016, 12:01:20 PM

Their housing was pretty neat!

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #3367 on: March 12, 2016, 12:25:57 PM

Sad to see it all crash and burn. The hype was a 10/10, but the game just didn't follow-through.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #3368 on: March 12, 2016, 04:40:52 PM

3 star talent, 5 star marketing.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3369 on: March 12, 2016, 06:18:37 PM

We're making a HARDCORE game for the HARDCORE raider!

*dies*

That didn't even matter really. The game was boring and shitty before you got to level 15.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #3370 on: March 12, 2016, 07:42:25 PM

Except for that unsourced, unverified rumor, I don't see anything in the linked article that indicates anything more than an underperforming product being put into "maintenance mode" (really, just reduced dev mode, but most seem not to make much of a distinction between the two). Wildstar could well live on for years, making enough money off its diehard fans to keep the servers running and pay some salaries.

Note well, I have no inside information myself. They could close it down tomorrow for all I know, I'm just not seeing much evidence of that from the article.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #3371 on: March 12, 2016, 08:44:35 PM

Except for that unsourced, unverified rumor, I don't see anything in the linked article that indicates anything more than an underperforming product being put into "maintenance mode" (really, just reduced dev mode, but most seem not to make much of a distinction between the two). Wildstar could well live on for years, making enough money off its diehard fans to keep the servers running and pay some salaries.

Note well, I have no inside information myself. They could close it down tomorrow for all I know, I'm just not seeing much evidence of that from the article.

It is owned by NCSoft, fyi.  See City of Heroes if you want to know what they do with MMO's that are under performing.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3372 on: March 12, 2016, 08:55:50 PM

If Wildstar were half the game City of Heroes was, I'd still be playing it. 

So much wasted potential.  Loved the marketing.  Loved the housing.  Hated the game.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #3373 on: March 12, 2016, 09:25:31 PM

Hmm, I got some kind of starter pack for this game with Humble a month or so ago, I suppose I'd better redeem it soon.  Is anyone still playing this?
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #3374 on: March 12, 2016, 10:04:21 PM

It is owned by NCSoft, fyi.  See City of Heroes if you want to know what they do with MMO's that are under performing.

ACK! ACK!

Oh crap I'd forgotten that, which is funny considering that is one of the reasons I didn't buy it in the first place.

Yeah, it's doomed.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #3375 on: March 13, 2016, 07:54:03 AM

So much wasted potential.  Loved the marketing.  Loved the housing.  Hated the game.

The pre-launch marketing campaign was one of the best I've seen for any game.  It's probably the reason so many people bought it in the first place.  I hope the people responsible land on their feet somewhere else.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #3376 on: March 13, 2016, 03:33:04 PM

The pre-launch marketing campaign was one of the best I've seen for any game.  It's probably the reason so many people bought it in the first place.  I hope the people responsible land on their feet somewhere else.

That guy who did those videos jumped ship a REALLY REALLY long time ago I thought
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #3377 on: March 13, 2016, 03:50:25 PM

Yeah, this is another game that made my "an MMO I almost ended up buying but didn't" thread.  My wait and see approach in recent years has really paid off, because waiting and seeing seems to prove them all garbage.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Those videos with the housing almost made me pull the trigger.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #3378 on: March 13, 2016, 04:29:49 PM

I appreciated them having an open-beta... did not take too long to realize the game-play was terrible (especially with AU latency) so was in not danger of buying in. Not surprised attempting to go free to play also didn't work as a result.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #3379 on: March 13, 2016, 08:26:51 PM

Yeah, the open beta turned me from super hyped because of the amazing promo videos to completely writing the game off.

I am the .00000001428%
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3380 on: March 14, 2016, 08:21:49 AM

Yeah, the open beta turned me from super hyped because of the amazing promo videos to completely writing the game off.

This was my exact trajectory as well. Gameplay killed this thing - it was like someone made WoW's decent for tab-targeting MMO combat more boring than normal tab-targeting MMO combat.

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #3381 on: March 14, 2016, 09:19:54 AM

As much as I enjoyed CoH/V, it was on a revenue decline that ran for quite a while before NCsoft pulled the plug.

But yes, NCsoft will kill Wildstar and Carbine Studios without further thought if it starts to head towards loss territory.

Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #3382 on: March 14, 2016, 09:29:56 AM

I fondly recall writing off Wildstar entirely after spending between 5 and 15 minutes in the beta. RIP.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #3383 on: March 15, 2016, 10:48:18 AM

The Ship You Start On will probably go down in history as the most viscerally gut-sinking moment of where I just knew from history that the game was going to let me down, and I knew instantly, in that sort of instinctual subthought level
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #3384 on: March 15, 2016, 02:03:25 PM

The Ship You Start On will probably go down in history as the most viscerally gut-sinking moment of where I just knew from history that the game was going to let me down, and I knew instantly, in that sort of instinctual subthought level

Yeah, i really did not want to write the game off after what was basically the tutorial no matter how unpleasant the experience was.  Sadly, what came after was even worse.  That game was simply not fun to play.

I am the .00000001428%
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #3385 on: March 15, 2016, 02:19:42 PM

Oddly enough, I managed to silence the warning bells in my head and bought it.  Not the worst MMO and not the worst value for my time, but definitely the one I feel most internally baffled about buying.

It had some nice QoL stuff baked in, the housing was cool, and there was occasional humor, but the rest was just bad.  One of the most jarring things was just how awful the world design was. From the promo videos, you'd never thing that world design would be a problem, but man, nothing made sense.  It was just a bunch of patched together themeparks.  You never knew what you were doing most of the time and why you were doing it.  This could also be contributed to the awful decision to have the game partially voiced.  It made your interactions with the NPCs somewhat nonsensical as you'd get one part from the voice and one part from the poorly worded text.  Nothing gelled.

Ohh god, that intro.  At least the good side one wasn't nearly as bad. 

-Rasix
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3386 on: March 15, 2016, 03:19:43 PM

I can't decide if this or Tera go down as "Most Disappointing MMO" in my book. I never made it past level 4 in either of them.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #3387 on: March 15, 2016, 03:30:35 PM

I didn't make it out of the tutorial in the beta. The combat was in a strange place; it wasn't fun like TERA but it wasn't alt-tabably-easy like WoW. That was the deal breaker for me.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #3388 on: March 15, 2016, 04:06:46 PM

I can't decide if this or Tera go down as "Most Disappointing MMO" in my book. I never made it past level 4 in either of them.

Tera is mechanically great but the world design itself is shit, Wildstar is dogshit from every single angle except maybe housing? You are high.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3389 on: March 15, 2016, 04:34:05 PM

Low level Tera combat was shit, as much as Wildstars was. I didn't enjoy either and wasn't about to slog my way to find the fun. Sorry this offends you.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #3390 on: March 15, 2016, 04:41:14 PM

Most disappointing is Warhammer.

You get to watch a company make the exact same mistakes, but FASTER!  why so serious?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3391 on: March 16, 2016, 09:20:20 AM

Let's face it, in MMO's, the list for most disappointing ever is going to be pretty fucking long.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3392 on: March 16, 2016, 09:58:22 AM

Let's face it, in MMO's, the list for most disappointing ever is going to be pretty fucking long.

This. 

I'm among the few here that tolerate too much MMO bullshit.  I have to confess that there isn't a single MMO worth playing right now.  There just hasn't been enough improvement in the genre to merit the time demand. 

-  Mark Twain
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #3393 on: March 16, 2016, 01:40:02 PM

This. 

I'm among the few here that tolerate too much MMO bullshit.  I have to confess that there isn't a single MMO worth playing right now.  There just hasn't been enough improvement in the genre to merit the time demand. 
I'm with you.  I'm waaaaaaaaaay more lenient about the sort of crap almost everybody on this forum bitches about concerning MMO's, but everything I've tried over the last several years has completely unremarkable shit.

Having said that, Black Desert may be worth a try.  I haven't touched it yet, but looks like it might be of some interest.  Probably will still disappoint, but never stop tilting at windmills!

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #3394 on: March 16, 2016, 01:47:13 PM

The problem is that the things that make MMOs interesting as a genre - world persistence chief among them - are also the things that necessarily limit the audience. MMOs are barely even a genre anymore because very game on the market comes with "RPG elements" and player progression and as MMO strip out the world persistence in favor of accessibility, there is nothing makes them interesting left in them. It's not an exaggeration to say that Vermintide is just about as much an "MMO" as WoW was the last time I played it, in that my main experience of playing it is sitting in a lobby (city) and then playing through a dungeon.
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Carbine Studios' "Wildstar"  
Jump to: