Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 03:33:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Carbine Studios' "Wildstar" 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 98 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carbine Studios' "Wildstar"  (Read 993120 times)
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1645 on: March 06, 2014, 03:44:43 PM

So. Now I need to decide what class I want to try out. I know almost nothing about the game except for the class intro videos. What class is most OP at the moment ? Does anyone know ? 
I really don't want to relive my miserable TSO experience from last weekend. awesome, for real

Engy is pretty OP and insanely fun running around as a Chua with a huge gun. Problem is there were A LOT of those last stress test.

Medic is probably the most OP at the moment - IMHO.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #1646 on: March 06, 2014, 05:14:24 PM

Oh, did medic get majorly buffed? Last time I played they were firmly in "meh" territory. I liked it anyway, but that is because I'm brain damaged.

God Save the Horn Players
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #1647 on: March 06, 2014, 05:20:33 PM

I liked it, too.  Maybe we'll be sent to the same asylum.  Right now I'm trying out warrior because warrior must always be tried out.  And I got horns.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #1648 on: March 06, 2014, 05:22:00 PM

Just realized I never applied for this beta when I have been following it for a while.

Doh.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1649 on: March 06, 2014, 05:58:12 PM

So. Now I need to decide what class I want to try out. I know almost nothing about the game except for the class intro videos. What class is most OP at the moment ? Does anyone know ?  
I really don't want to relive my miserable TSO experience from last weekend. awesome, for real

Try them all out.  This being a pretty traditional, more 'hardcore-ish' MMO (with endgame and housing), your class choice is pretty darned important as rolling alts is less likely.
That said, mobility and range in any skillshot type game is pretty key... in Wildstar that means Spellslinger generally rules the battlefield especially if you've got a good strafe setup.

Tough to say which is 'OP' since not many have tested to elder-game and wouldn't be able to comment regardless.  As expected, some of the classes are OP early and gimped later or vice versa.  Also, recall the game uses skill decking so what's OP is largely dependent on player and situation, all before even considering AMPs or gear.

It's a tough call.  Dont listen to anyone and just play what you like.  Second to that, play what you're good at playing.  I wouldnt advise slinger for someone who shies away from skillshots and movement.  Nor would I advise Esper or Medic for someone who doesnt like management/control.  And so forth.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 08:33:48 PM by Ghambit »

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #1650 on: March 06, 2014, 06:59:46 PM

Keep in mind the race-class combos are quite restricted.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #1651 on: March 06, 2014, 07:14:09 PM

Keep in mind the race-class combos are quite restricted.

No more restricted than WoW was pre-Cata. 

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #1652 on: March 07, 2014, 12:34:23 PM

What's the NDA on this thing now?

Over and out.
Terracotta Army

Reply #1653 on: March 07, 2014, 01:12:45 PM

What's the NDA on this thing now?

Same as before- press only I believe.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #1654 on: March 07, 2014, 05:01:07 PM

Played this for a bit this afternoon before work. Only tried a Stalker because it was one of the few class choices I could make for my little bunny girl.

The quests are not really gripping and the combat so far is a bit less fun than TESO (which I liked, combat as a Sorc was a lot of fun).

I'll try a few of the more "unique" classes after work, we'll see how that goes.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #1655 on: March 07, 2014, 08:38:50 PM

Played it today. Trying to remove the watermark plastered all over the beta client was the only interesting thing I experienced.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #1656 on: March 07, 2014, 09:02:17 PM

So I guess with the NDA the only thing I can say is that despite my panning of ESO, I actually had more fun playing it than playing this game despite Wildstar being much better put together.  Most of the faults with ESO seem to have to do with it feeling like it was made by amateurs.  Wildstar is very competently made, but I cannot stand the design at all.

Over and out.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1657 on: March 08, 2014, 03:09:44 PM

I love this game and I'm not playing until they readjust some things that came with beta patch 3. Leveling is horrible and quest grind is awful and TTK is shit and my class is shit so.

fake edit: by 'not playing' i mean i'm mostly just going to be doing housing.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #1658 on: March 08, 2014, 03:20:18 PM

Way to take a stand.   awesome, for real
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #1659 on: March 08, 2014, 03:51:50 PM

I love this game and I'm not playing until they readjust some things that came with beta patch 3. Leveling is horrible and quest grind is awful and TTK is shit and my class is shit so.

This game has some things going for it, but fun isn't one of them.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #1660 on: March 08, 2014, 04:29:01 PM

I'm convinced this game is made for 10-year-olds.

Over and out.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #1661 on: March 09, 2014, 12:03:08 PM

OMG the evil faction (No "" neccesary). Half of the tutorial consists of "ain't torture funny".
And why do the robots have a male/female option ? And huge breasts ? (by default)

Oh. Yeah. I think you are on to something here.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #1662 on: March 09, 2014, 01:15:59 PM

Is the beta weekend over or does it run until midnight?

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #1663 on: March 09, 2014, 01:44:08 PM

I think I read 7 am PST on monday ?

Terracotta Army

Reply #1664 on: March 09, 2014, 01:45:46 PM

Midnight +/- and hour. Midnight PST, that is.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1665 on: March 09, 2014, 02:06:25 PM

I figured by this point most weekend betatesters would have been able to be full beta testers.  Weird.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #1666 on: March 09, 2014, 02:52:00 PM

Midnight +/- and hour. Midnight PST, that is.
Yeah. Got my time zones mixed up. In game text says its 06:59 UTC, 11:59 PDT.

Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #1667 on: March 09, 2014, 06:36:30 PM

So, yeah.  The combat's lethargic pace makes even WoW look like a fairly dynamic game in comparison.  *click* - wait - *click* - wait - *click* - wait - *click a second power* - *walk away from the big red circle on the ground*  All of the class videos show a player reaming a pile of monsters within two seconds, when the reality takes about ten times longer.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #1668 on: March 09, 2014, 09:17:04 PM

So, yeah.  The combat's lethargic pace makes even WoW look like a fairly dynamic game in comparison.  *click* - wait - *click* - wait - *click* - wait - *click a second power* - *walk away from the big red circle on the ground*  All of the class videos show a player reaming a pile of monsters within two seconds, when the reality takes about ten times longer.
I think I tried all the classes. Combat really is boring, either you blow up everything around you or you get overwhelmed. Overall it felt disconnected and boring with every... single... attack/ability having some kind/form of cone.

Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1669 on: March 10, 2014, 02:52:22 AM

I object on the grounds that I am literally 12 and a half IRL, NOT ten, and my brother hangs out with some guy who can get cigarettes.
Terracotta Army

Reply #1670 on: March 10, 2014, 06:16:37 AM

Meh. I am just going to go with the idea that this game is the methadone of MMOs. It will never be as great as the first one I played or have the staying power of my longest addiction, but it'll take the edge off for a bit.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1671 on: March 10, 2014, 11:09:37 AM

My feelings on the combat pretty much match the last few posters. Maybe I really am just sick to fucking death of DikuMud derivative combat because slow, boring and grindy are the best words I can use to describe it. Also... badfont. Lots of badfont.

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #1672 on: March 10, 2014, 11:51:40 AM

For a game where everything was an AoE with a cone of some sort, the powers themselves seemed pretty bland.  Basic cone attack.  Higher damage cone attack with generic resource cost and/or cooldown.  Another higher damage cone attack with generic resource cost and/or cooldown with added CC or debuff.  Rinse, repeat.  Nearly everything seemed to be channeled or have a cast time, which is what lead to the slow feel.

I also didn't care for the WWE/Candy Crush hybrid level ups, but I bet 10-year-olds love it.  why so serious?

Over and out.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1673 on: March 10, 2014, 12:29:53 PM

Yeah, the channeling time on even the most basic pistol shot was just  Ohhhhh, I see. It's like a barrage of really slow, un-engaging Quicktime events.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1674 on: March 10, 2014, 12:57:33 PM

It's still quicker combat than TESO.  Go figure.   Ohhhhh, I see.

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #1675 on: March 10, 2014, 01:11:56 PM

I actually found TESO combat somewhat more engaging, even though the interface suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked.

Over and out.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1676 on: March 10, 2014, 01:55:04 PM

TESO combat is much better than this. TESO has light/heavy attacks, blocking, dodging etc. If you attack a target that is disoriented or whatever with a heavy, you knock them down. Simple interactions like that make a load of difference.

Wildstar combat is dreadful.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #1677 on: March 10, 2014, 02:04:50 PM

Game:  *Ding*
Me:  Oh cool I leveled up I...
Game:  OH YEAH MUTHERFUCKER! SHIT JUST GOT REAL!  HASHTAG PWNAGE!  THIS LEVEL SPONSORED BY MTN DEW AND RED BULL, DO THE DEW!
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1678 on: March 10, 2014, 02:11:06 PM

OH AND THAT QUEST COMPLETION VOICE-OVER YOU WANTED TO LISTEN TO? FUCK THAT SHIT!
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1679 on: March 10, 2014, 02:27:02 PM

I will admit to be surprised at "Ding! Grats!" turned into Randy Fucking Savage.

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 98 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Carbine Studios' "Wildstar"  
Jump to: