Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:13:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Carbine Studios' "Wildstar" 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 98 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carbine Studios' "Wildstar"  (Read 979290 times)
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #455 on: June 11, 2013, 02:14:42 PM

That's not a bad strategy to be fair. Wow has gotten too loaded with its own BS, a "down to basics" WOW might be enough to capture some of the people who are cheesed off with WOW but have nowhere else to go for the gameplay they like.

Hic sunt dracones.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #456 on: June 11, 2013, 02:24:14 PM

I just want a damned beta invite. I feel like I am missing out on something big.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #457 on: June 11, 2013, 02:25:46 PM

They did a stress test recently. I don't think they actually give out beta invites. It's just a scam to get you on an email list.

CONSPIRACY!

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #458 on: June 11, 2013, 03:29:12 PM

That's not a bad strategy to be fair. Wow has gotten too loaded with its own BS, a "down to basics" WOW might be enough to capture some of the people who are cheesed off with WOW but have nowhere else to go for the gameplay they like.

This is hardly "down to basics". I don't think I've ever seen an MMO trailer that promised quite as much at release as this one.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #459 on: June 11, 2013, 04:01:19 PM

Yeah, that was badly phrased I guess.

Hic sunt dracones.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #460 on: June 12, 2013, 06:35:46 AM

They already have a function cross realm dungeon finder according to some quotes from developers. That's like 90% of the way there! They also have a functioning addon system in place.

What we don't know is the quality of their class/character development and whether or not their dungeons and raids are horribly tuned or not.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #461 on: June 12, 2013, 06:39:07 PM

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #462 on: June 12, 2013, 07:29:38 PM

Meh, just seemed like he was pissed he couldn't change the default controls and then harped on it for the entire article.  I think it would be fair to assume that the live game will allow players to change the controls to how they want...like every other game does. Ohhhhh, I see.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #463 on: June 12, 2013, 08:31:02 PM

What I got from that article was more of a "been there, done that" vibe.  Seems he felt Wildstar was just a rehash of what we've all been through already.  If that's the case, then I can understand the 'meh' reaction.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #464 on: June 12, 2013, 10:23:30 PM

What I got from that article was more of a "been there, done that" vibe.  Seems he felt Wildstar was just a rehash of what we've all been through already.  If that's the case, then I can understand the 'meh' reaction.

We are all on the same page that the vast vast majority of the progression gameplay is going to be Vanilla WoW in space right? I mean it sounds like he thought Vanilla WoW in Space was going to be a little more fun and different feeling than it actually is.

Double jump is pretty cash though, so hearing this game has double jump is the most exciting thing not called warplots. They are still a long way from me even thinking about a day one purchase but I used to be convinced this was going to be utter shite. Baby steps.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #465 on: June 12, 2013, 10:28:47 PM

I don't know what he was expecting.  We've known for awhile now (if you've been following the game like the author of the article should have been) that this is a theme park MMO that has a lot of qualities of early WoW.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #466 on: June 13, 2013, 05:42:02 AM

I don't know what he was expecting.  We've known for awhile now (if you've been following the game like the author of the article should have been) that this is a theme park MMO that has a lot of qualities of early WoW.

Just to be clear, I wasn't judging the game.  I was just stating what I got from the author/article. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #467 on: June 13, 2013, 07:54:36 AM

He sounds like a complete douche, tbh. He admits he went off path of the demo, bitches about controls, acts like he's totally above trying this wow-clone, and even manages to insult women as idiot gamers in the same article.

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #468 on: June 13, 2013, 09:17:08 AM

I would play an mmo that was a reskin of vanilla WoW. Not for as long as I played WoW, but I would buy it and play it. (As long as Ghostcrawler was not involved in it, that is).

I would also play a reskin of the first Zelda. Heck, just a repeat of the game with the same everything but everything moved on the map (like the second game you get to play after the first one).

Have game developers completely given up on non-monster-killing professions in mmos? (Like trader or fisherman or farmer).
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #469 on: June 13, 2013, 09:23:44 AM

I would play an mmo that was a reskin of vanilla WoW. Not for as long as I played WoW, but I would buy it and play it. (As long as Ghostcrawler was not involved in it, that is).

I would also play a reskin of the first Zelda. Heck, just a repeat of the game with the same everything but everything moved on the map (like the second game you get to play after the first one).

Have game developers completely given up on non-monster-killing professions in mmos? (Like trader or fisherman or farmer).

Yes. They see a game that a lot of people play, and they make more of that and less of the other stuff until that is all they are making. That other stuff is then forgotten about while companies continue to chase the hordes of gamers that are playing the only thing available. And the vicious cycle continues.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #470 on: June 13, 2013, 01:06:59 PM

I wouldn't play a reskin of WOW 1.0. However I would play a reskin of WoW 1.0 with GW2's combat system with a limited hotbar space. Wildstar's combat system will supposedly by close to that. Movement, soft targeting (telegraphs) and dodging. I don't think I could go back to a tab-target system with standard rotations and hotbars full of cooldowns and rotational abilities.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #471 on: June 13, 2013, 01:08:36 PM

But you can't rebind keys guyz!!!  ACK!

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #472 on: June 13, 2013, 02:07:25 PM

But you can't rebind keys guyz!!!  ACK!

Not even joking but if that's live it's a total deal breaker for me and I'm DOWN for wow in space big time.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #473 on: June 13, 2013, 02:11:32 PM

I can say with a 99% certainty that it's not going live. My guess is they didn't want to let people waste time in a demo remapping keys.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #474 on: June 13, 2013, 03:33:09 PM

I would agree but I want to throw it out there because there are a lot of people like me who, if they can't remap keys get very, very pissy.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #475 on: June 13, 2013, 03:37:24 PM

Might as well bitch about debug messages hitting the chat output.

-Rasix
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #476 on: June 13, 2013, 03:39:40 PM

What's the last game you can remember that didn't let you remap keys?

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #477 on: June 13, 2013, 03:42:32 PM

Witcher 2 had a couple keys you could not change(mind you this is at release, may have been patched later)  There have been a few others that I can't recall off the top of my head but really I would say nearly all have re-mapping but many have "this button is holy" crap that for some reason you cannot re-bind certain functions.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #478 on: June 13, 2013, 03:54:19 PM

Guild Wars 2 won't let me move them around on my taskbar.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #479 on: June 13, 2013, 04:17:16 PM

SWTOR won't let me remap Next Target to T.  It made me pissy enough to give WoW another shot.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #480 on: June 13, 2013, 04:20:42 PM

You're a known dumbo though.

Fucking Hobbit.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #481 on: June 13, 2013, 05:08:52 PM

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #482 on: June 14, 2013, 03:57:23 AM

Oblivion could only let you binb powers to keys 1 to 8 because consoles.

Hic sunt dracones.
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #483 on: June 14, 2013, 05:29:03 AM

I don't use WASD, instead favouring the cursor keys and the keys around (right ctrl, shift, delete, pg up & down, numpad etc) so I tend to jump using my little finger on the right ctrl... WoW and SWtOR won't let me bind Ctrl to Jump because it's a 'holy' key, which is irritating as fuck and means I've had to get used to jumping using the click wheel of my mouse. Which, given the jumping puzzles and terrible action lag of the Hero Engine in SWtOR is a major handicap.

NO fucking key should EVER be sacrosanct in a PC game. The Keyboard exists as the ultimate expression of control freedom ffs.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #484 on: June 14, 2013, 06:16:17 AM

You can't bind Ctrl because it would mean it would have to fire on key UP rather than key DOWN. Otherwise it wouldn't be able to distinguish between Ctrl alone and Ctrl as a modifier key. (You depress Ctrl - should it jump or should it wait for another key?)

WoW prior to some patch (2.x or so) fired on key up, which gave abilities delay. I remember having odd binds on Shift (like /sit) so I think it was possible at some point. It was changed for the sake of reponsitivity though, which I can only agree with.

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #485 on: June 14, 2013, 06:50:18 AM

Hey guys, the game has fully bindable controls, that's 100% guaranteed. I'm willing to bet you will have a full blown bartender mod before the game even launches.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #486 on: June 14, 2013, 10:23:33 AM

I can say with a 99% certainty that it's not going live. My guess is they didn't want to let people waste time in a demo remapping keys.
Yes.  It was because it was at E3.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
DayDream
Terracotta Army

Reply #487 on: June 14, 2013, 10:46:46 AM

You can't bind Ctrl because it would mean it would have to fire on key UP rather than key DOWN. Otherwise it wouldn't be able to distinguish between Ctrl alone and Ctrl as a modifier key. (You depress Ctrl - should it jump or should it wait for another key?)

WoW prior to some patch (2.x or so) fired on key up, which gave abilities delay. I remember having odd binds on Shift (like /sit) so I think it was possible at some point. It was changed for the sake of reponsitivity though, which I can only agree with.

No.  The solution is to be able to separately define your modifier keys.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #488 on: June 14, 2013, 11:29:14 AM

I don't use WASD, instead favouring the cursor keys and the keys around (right ctrl, shift, delete, pg up & down, numpad etc) so I tend to jump using my little finger on the right ctrl... WoW and SWtOR won't let me bind Ctrl to Jump because it's a 'holy' key, which is irritating as fuck and means I've had to get used to jumping using the click wheel of my mouse. Which, given the jumping puzzles and terrible action lag of the Hero Engine in SWtOR is a major handicap.

NO fucking key should EVER be sacrosanct in a PC game. The Keyboard exists as the ultimate expression of control freedom ffs.

What planet do you come from?  swamp poop

Madness!

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #489 on: June 14, 2013, 01:21:16 PM

He comes from Planet Alb.

God Save the Horn Players
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 98 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Carbine Studios' "Wildstar"  
Jump to: