Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:11:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Carbine Studios' "Wildstar" 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 98 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carbine Studios' "Wildstar"  (Read 979262 times)
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #315 on: April 15, 2013, 10:27:31 AM

Closed non-family/friends beta is underway, and they even took the extra step of binding the invite to a person's email addy, so no giving away codes.

That said, the smell of fresh cake is in the air again  awesome, for real

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #316 on: April 15, 2013, 05:46:10 PM

In response to leaked patch notes showing up on beta leaking sites, the M30 patch notes were posted (the build that is on the beta server).

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/news/m30_patch_notes.php

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #317 on: April 15, 2013, 06:21:48 PM

Watching this develop has been the polar opposite experience to watching TESO develop. Wildstar genuinely feels like it could be a real breath of fresh air despite the fact that mechanically it really isn't anything new.

Yea, the vibe I'm getting is like GW2: I wasn't impressed when I first saw it (for reasons largely similar to my Pax East demo of Wildstar), but once I got into the beta, I was hooked. Wildstar may have that right combination of quick action, minimized suck, fun quirkiness that doesn't take itself too seriously, and launching at a time when nothing else is going on.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #318 on: April 15, 2013, 06:53:09 PM

Somehow a team aiming for "fun" makes a world of difference.  I think we've gone too long without anyone understanding that it's the opposite of sucking.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #319 on: April 18, 2013, 01:14:46 AM

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #320 on: April 18, 2013, 10:29:37 AM

I need a beta invite like Gollum needs his damn ring.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #321 on: April 18, 2013, 10:55:18 AM

I need a beta invite like Gollum needs his damn ring.

x2

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #322 on: April 18, 2013, 12:41:16 PM

I'm honestly kindof warming up to this project. That, I believe, would make it the first MMO project I've warmed up to in years. It isn't even the fact that this looks to be 'WOW done better'. I don't even care about 'WOW done better'. I'm not even actually interested in playing this game. It's just that most mmo's are either blatant also-ran cash grabs or some neckbeardy vision quest. This is the first time in years we've had an MMO coming out that was developed by a team who's primary goal seemed to just be 'make the game fun'.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #323 on: April 18, 2013, 05:45:33 PM

They've said basically nothing about the payment model, right?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #324 on: April 18, 2013, 06:28:03 PM

Correct. I would bet sub. Put a side bet of not 15/mo.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #325 on: April 18, 2013, 08:19:52 PM

I very much doubt subs. Nothing about Wildstars implies the kind of faith needed to make subs a viable business, especially when so many have switched to f2p, including the swan song of big budget AAA subs games.

Err, ok, rant aside, my guess is box and MTX smiley
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #326 on: April 18, 2013, 10:05:27 PM

fuck why did I watch the housing video fuuuuuuuuuck

God Save the Horn Players
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #327 on: April 19, 2013, 03:33:45 AM

Because we knew your Sims playing soul would be ours if you did...

Hic sunt dracones.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #328 on: April 19, 2013, 05:59:50 AM

Nothing about Wildstars implies the kind of faith needed to make subs a viable business

I think everything that they have shown says they have faith in subscriptions. Conversely they have shown nothing that supports a cash shop.

I would prefer B2P though with a cash shop. I don't mind spending cash to level faster.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #329 on: April 19, 2013, 11:59:39 AM

I'm not sure I've ever seen a game promise as much in their trailer as this one did. Seems awfully ambitious.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #330 on: April 19, 2013, 01:07:59 PM

Sooo, what do they mean by action combat?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #331 on: April 19, 2013, 01:13:29 PM

Looks like it has dodging from the video.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #332 on: April 19, 2013, 01:13:48 PM

Sooo, what do they mean by action combat?

It's like combat, but full of action!  why so serious?

I think it means there is an active portion to combat rather than tab target - attack - next target. Probably dodging and position stuff. Now I am going to have to look harder at this game. Damn it.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #333 on: April 19, 2013, 01:21:27 PM

There's videos out there that explain it a bit.  They're essentially doing what GW2 does in that you can just fire off your skills and your shots will hit everything in the ability's cone/blast/radial/etc.  The big thing is that they're attaching training wheels to the mechanic by having said cones/blast/radial fields CLEARLY FUCKING VISIBLE, for both friend and foe.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #334 on: April 19, 2013, 01:34:46 PM

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #335 on: April 19, 2013, 01:36:03 PM

I'm open to suggestions on an alternative phrasing  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #336 on: April 19, 2013, 01:39:37 PM

I'm open to suggestions on an alternative phrasing  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Common sense?
Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #337 on: April 19, 2013, 07:00:06 PM

There's videos out there that explain it a bit.  They're essentially doing what GW2 does in that you can just fire off your skills and your shots will hit everything in the ability's cone/blast/radial/etc.  The big thing is that they're attaching training wheels to the mechanic by having said cones/blast/radial fields CLEARLY FUCKING VISIBLE, for both friend and foe.
TSW does this for area-based monster-abilities as well - though not for player ones.

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #338 on: April 19, 2013, 07:31:37 PM

TSW does this for area-based monster-abilities as well - though not for player ones.
Yeah, but even those can get diluted and somewhat unrecognizable at times, esp. in the elder game.  Wildstar so far seems to be deliberately trying to make all actions recognizable, and thus giving everyone a pretty fair chance and opportunity to respond/react.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #339 on: April 19, 2013, 07:39:43 PM

That's sounds fantastic.  Better than the boss in TSW that's nearly impossible for me due to red/green colorblindness.  Bunch of red circles in hell: not something I can see.

-Rasix
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #340 on: April 19, 2013, 08:21:47 PM

Because we knew your Sims playing soul would be ours if you did...

Bastards!  Heartbreak

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #341 on: April 22, 2013, 11:21:58 AM

That's sounds fantastic.  Better than the boss in TSW that's nearly impossible for me due to red/green colorblindness.  Bunch of red circles in hell: not something I can see.

Wildstar is fully moddable so I would imagine there will be a mod out there to make the telegraph system based not on color but pattern overlays or something.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #342 on: April 22, 2013, 11:47:19 AM

Certain colors work.  Bright blues and yellows are great, and I love it when companies use those.   I think that's the default switch (or purple/yellow) in games that have a colorblind switch.  I think if you have red/green and blue/yellow colorblindness, then you're pretty boned in games in regards to standing in fire.   The pattern thing world work then.  Maybe a bunch of pink skulls on the ground.  awesome, for real

-Rasix
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #343 on: April 22, 2013, 12:28:06 PM

I think patterns require a bit more time to fully grasp if it's good or bad. GW2 has some wonky border thing that takes entirely too long to process mentally compared to "red or white circle" version.
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #344 on: April 22, 2013, 12:36:37 PM

I don't feel like I can ever trust NCSoft, certainly not post-CoH demise. They'll likely shit-can Wildstar in two years if it doesn't get a decent Korean playerbase, and fuck everyone else.
Yes because they definately fucked over everyone with guild wars 2.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #345 on: April 22, 2013, 12:40:30 PM

I don't feel like I can ever trust NCSoft, certainly not post-CoH demise. They'll likely shit-can Wildstar in two years if it doesn't get a decent Korean playerbase, and fuck everyone else.

I can't tell if sarcasm or not.

Isn't NCSoft just the publisher?

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #346 on: April 22, 2013, 01:29:42 PM

It depends on how deep the oversight is.  Certainly there's a difference between how Bliz manages WoW, even though Activision has the reigns, and how Bioware manages SWTOR, even though EA is, well, EA.   why so serious?

Carbine is attributed as NCSoft's southern California studios.  They have no other titles under their name, but the titles that the devs have worked on before are a smorgasbord of everything from the past decade.  And that work is being clearly mirrored in the gameplay seen so far.  How big of a dick NCSoft is in it's oversight of Carbine though has yet to been seen.

Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #347 on: April 22, 2013, 03:07:19 PM

...Which is doing well in Korea and the influence on the art and character models in the game is a blatantly obvious attempt to maximise that appeal.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #348 on: April 22, 2013, 03:09:25 PM

Certain colors work.  Bright blues and yellows are great, and I love it when companies use those.   I think that's the default switch (or purple/yellow) in games that have a colorblind switch.  I think if you have red/green and blue/yellow colorblindness, then you're pretty boned in games in regards to standing in fire.   The pattern thing world work then.  Maybe a bunch of pink skulls on the ground.  awesome, for real

Those blue/yellow people are rare freaks though.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? Red/green should be taken into account in every game.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #349 on: April 22, 2013, 03:53:29 PM

Just learn to see red and green, you newb.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 98 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Carbine Studios' "Wildstar"  
Jump to: