Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 02:29:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Carbine Studios' "Wildstar" 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 98 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carbine Studios' "Wildstar"  (Read 984421 times)
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #175 on: February 13, 2013, 11:41:25 AM

It's a cute little style they have going.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #176 on: February 13, 2013, 11:46:16 AM

Did I mention playable robots?  Like, what SWTOR would never let you do?  Actual.  Playable.  Customizable.  Robots?

DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #177 on: February 13, 2013, 11:49:25 AM

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #178 on: February 13, 2013, 12:26:03 PM

Kind of weird to have an obviously evil moustache-twirling faction (dominion) and a sorta-neutral one (exiles). Maybe the last race will change things, but otherwise the game may suffer from the usual "kool doods go for the evil side" problem.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #179 on: February 13, 2013, 12:28:10 PM

The web site doesn't really seem to provide much more than fluff.  Is there any place where I can get some depth?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #180 on: February 13, 2013, 12:31:02 PM

The massively articles (from last page) are decent-ish since the writer had some hands-on experience with the game, especially this one:
http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/02/06/the-biggest-game-on-the-planet-wildstars-boundless-ambition/

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #181 on: February 13, 2013, 12:34:21 PM

Thanks Z!

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #182 on: February 13, 2013, 03:02:08 PM

Kind of weird to have an obviously evil moustache-twirling faction (dominion) and a sorta-neutral one (exiles). Maybe the last race will change things, but otherwise the game may suffer from the usual "kool doods go for the evil side" problem.

The Exiles have the cat/bunny people race. It'll even out  why so serious?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #183 on: February 13, 2013, 04:58:43 PM

I'm dubious about this game (for NDA reasons), but if they're doing these faction trailers in-house, they have God's own team of character animators.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
PalmTrees
Terracotta Army

Reply #184 on: February 13, 2013, 05:41:26 PM

The trailers remind me of Ratchet and Clank. Cartoony style, broad iconic characters.  We had country girl and now aristocratic bad guy.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #185 on: February 13, 2013, 06:08:20 PM

Ratchet and Clank, with a dash of Don Bluth   DRILLING AND MANLINESS Heart

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #186 on: February 13, 2013, 06:35:32 PM

I'm dubious about this game (for NDA reasons), but if they're doing these faction trailers in-house, they have God's own team of character animators.

This is NCsoft West's next important project to launch, so they probably aren't short of resources in that area right now.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #187 on: February 13, 2013, 07:07:48 PM

I played the pink rabbit psychic character back at PAX Prime 2011.  It felt really smooth and extremely well animated back then.  It looked like a simple game though, and they weren't sharing much.  It was just a WOW clone at that point.  Looks like they added a bunch of stuff.
Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #188 on: February 13, 2013, 07:45:57 PM

Looks really well done. Shame it's a wow clone though. Tried GW2, SWTOR, TSW, and MoP a while ago. Turns out the Diku is dead to me. I have just played too many incarnations.

Owls are an example of evolution showing off. -Shannow

BattleTag - Ray#1555
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #189 on: February 13, 2013, 10:48:35 PM

Regardless of it being a WoW clone, it'll be the first AAA pulp sci-fi MMO made.  Which pretty much means, to me, it has to be played.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #190 on: February 14, 2013, 07:57:13 AM

I'm watching this one closely. I have mixed feelings about the anime style graphics but the ideas are great. And housing this in-depth is something I love in my gaming. I'm a bit 'bleh' that raids are such a major part of their endgame but whatever. I think that's a mistake, especially if they go for BIG raids because the industry is moving away from that for a reason.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Reborne
Terracotta Army

something something plays a shitload of Blood Bowl something something

Reply #191 on: February 18, 2013, 04:19:56 PM

I've just started looking at this.
I'm a sucker for MMOs, as a lot of you would probably have noticed by now.

I like the housing idea and being able to move to join your friends.
My friends have a problem in LotRO at the moment where our kinship house is in one instance and our personal houses are in others.
Would be great to be able to merge and have our own little neighborhood going.
Lets hope they don't screw it up by going with servers that mean your friends are all over the place and can't meet up.

Other fun thing that I've just seen is that unlike LotRO, the interior of houses have no slot restrictions.
Add stuff as you will.

I also like the sound of the paths.
I've got 2 friends looking at playing explorers and I'm going scientist.
I'm hoping that these things will cross over so that they can find ruins (when not jumping all over mountains) and I can research the things in there so that we can have cool things to play with.

"We apologise for the inconvenience" - God's Final Message to His Creation.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #192 on: February 18, 2013, 04:34:36 PM

Anyone know if this is going to be a Sub based game, or more likely to use something similar to the Freemium model of paying to unlock perks / extras that they had in COH before they shut it down?

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #193 on: February 19, 2013, 06:51:42 AM

I don't think they've said, but I'm really hoping it's not a sub since I'll give it a pass then.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #194 on: February 19, 2013, 06:54:39 AM

I don't think they've said, but I'm really hoping it's not a sub since I'll give it a pass then.

+1.  I've resolved myself to living in co-existence with cash shops.  If they can pull off AAA stuff for free, more power to them.  Otherwise, they're not bumping squat off the current MMO market.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #195 on: February 19, 2013, 07:00:35 AM

I've become the complete opposite.  I can't stomach the free-to-play audience any more.  Granted, the wow crowd wasn't much better... but there's something about spending $15 a month that seems to filter a lot of idiocy. 

-  Mark Twain
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #196 on: February 19, 2013, 07:52:44 AM

If I were them I'd blaze a new trail and start as a boxed-sale with microtrans, then once the playerbase was fairly set move to subscription.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #197 on: February 19, 2013, 08:21:21 AM

I've become the complete opposite.  I can't stomach the free-to-play audience any more.  Granted, the wow crowd wasn't much better... but there's something about spending $15 a month that seems to filter a lot of idiocy. 
Maybe immaturity.  Idiots can scrounge up $15, too.  For example, several of my friends still play WoW.

I think it's more shitty free games filter out reasonable people because they realize they aren't having fun and have better things to do with their time.

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #198 on: February 19, 2013, 08:29:10 AM

Nothing but elitist bullshit, Nebu.  It's a simple function of us getting older and less tolerant vs the market getting bigger more LCD.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 08:32:01 AM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #199 on: February 19, 2013, 08:32:51 AM

Nothing but elitist bullshit, Nebu.  Simple function of us getting older and less tolerant vs the market getting bigger more LCD.

I disagree.  It's easy to watch a community change in real time when games convert from subscription to F2P.  There's a certain level of community built into games when you're paying a flat fee to belong.  It's self-selecting among those willing to invest rather than those willing to show up, shit on the floor, and leave.

-  Mark Twain
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #200 on: February 19, 2013, 08:54:18 AM

Nebu, do you stick with any game long enough to get past the first few days of "Oooh New Game" rush to see how the communities shakes out?  Especially a free to play one where you're already biased against most of the population getting to try it out?

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #201 on: February 19, 2013, 08:58:23 AM

Nebu, do you stick with any game long enough to get past the first few days of "Oooh New Game" rush to see how the communities shakes out?  Especially a free to play one where you're already biased against most of the population getting to try it out?

We can agree to disagree you know.

-  Mark Twain
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #202 on: February 19, 2013, 09:05:08 AM

Or we can stand around screaming "GET OFF MY LAWN" at the yunguns.

Honest I would love it if the age of niche MMOs dawned and we could all choose the MMO with the theme, rule sets and business model that best suits us. But the economics of just don't allow it.

"Me am play gods"
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #203 on: February 19, 2013, 09:14:21 AM

Or we can stand around screaming "GET OFF MY LAWN" at the yunguns.

Honest I would love it if the age of niche MMOs dawned and we could all choose the MMO with the theme, rule sets and business model that best suits us. But the economics of just don't allow it.

I think the economics allow it just fine.  The problem is that there are too many companies chasing after the mythical "next WoW" instead of building a simpler & less expensive game that caters to a niche.  I'm hopeful that kickstarter may bring back more niche games and then we all get to be happier.  Variety benefits us all, right?

-  Mark Twain
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #204 on: February 19, 2013, 09:15:53 AM

It's not so much disagreement as me trying to understand what's irking you about the people in these games.  I turn off global chats almost immediately, so I've had very few negative interactions.

But I've seen you chew through games with your hyper-efficient leveling, and I'm just wondering if maybe you're seeing a whole different segment of the populace than I do.  Ultra-achiever-world-first dickbags versus enh-whatever-I'm-easy stoners or something?  Kids versus people who take these things far more seriously?  I dunno.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #205 on: February 19, 2013, 09:22:56 AM

My biggest beef with F2P is that it encourages developers to focus as much, if not more on revenue streams than player retention.  While the two aren't mutually exclusive, there is a lot less emphasis on community building and more on extracting cash during periods of high churn.  I see the trade-offs and the cost benefits of being F2P, but they don't fit with the style of game that I prefer to play.  Remember that I prefer PvP games which already contain the more volatile members of the gaming community.  With F2P this already bile-filled bunch seems to get even more ridiculous in their behavior.  There's no reason for accountability since you can simply generate a new email account and start from scratch.  If F2P games were to be more rigorous about limiting the number of accounts per IP address, then I'm sure I'd find them more palatable. 

Please remember that the game I primarily play is a F2P game (World of Tanks).  I would much prefer that it were a subscription-based game for exactly the reasons above, but lacking a viable alternative, I'm stuck with it as it is.

-  Mark Twain
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #206 on: February 19, 2013, 09:27:13 AM

The "communities are shit" phenomenon is one I've only really noticed with MMOs that start out as box+sub and then later go F2P. With the few games I've tried that were built as F2P from the ground up (and aren't MOBAs), it feels like people are at least a little more civilized, beyond the newbie areas which will always be shittowns.

I imagine in the F2P conversion scenario it's a combination of a bunch of clueless new people, a bunch of bad apples in those new people, and a bunch of already-playing vets who are bitter at such a stark reminder that "their" game failed on some level just feeds into this big boiling pot of suck.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #207 on: February 19, 2013, 09:30:18 AM

The "communities are shit" phenomenon is one I've only really noticed with MMOs that start out as box+sub and then later go F2P. With the few games I've tried that were built as F2P from the ground up (and aren't MOBAs), it feels like people are at least a little more civilized.

I imagine in the F2P conversion scenario it's a combination of a bunch of clueless new people, a bunch of bad apples in those new people, and a bunch of already-playing vets who are bitter at such a stark reminder that "their" game failed on some level just feeds into this big boiling pot of suck.

I actually think that there's a lot of truth in this.  To be fair games like LoL fail to hold my attention precisely due to the community being a bunch of assholes.  Perhaps my age does color my opinion.  I'm more irritated by the cowardice of hiding behind internet anonymity than I probably should be.   

-  Mark Twain
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #208 on: February 19, 2013, 09:34:06 AM

Even LoL I hear's improving in that regard, since Riot's giving actual reward incentive to be, if not nice, at least tolerant  of other players.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #209 on: February 19, 2013, 10:12:52 AM

Even LoL I hear's improving in that regard, since Riot's giving actual reward incentive to be, if not nice, at least tolerant  of other players.

I'm not sure where you heard that, but you heard wrong. LOL's community is still full of people I'd like to infect with smallpox.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 98 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Carbine Studios' "Wildstar"  
Jump to: