Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 05:01:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: WAR to be released... 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 34 Go Down Print
Author Topic: WAR to be released...  (Read 420882 times)
cevik
I'm Special

I've always wondered about the All Black People Eat Watermelons

Reply #735 on: August 14, 2008, 12:10:33 PM

Ya, I read those threads. barely goes past mild concern and idle speculation.  Not like the hyperventilating going on here.  It's only going to get worse.

I think it all depends on which side of the fence you are on prior to release.  I see nothing here but mild concern and speculation, followed by rabid fanbois freaking out because someone picked on their precious little snowflake of a mmog.  Pretty much the same with any mmog release ever.

I notice you have become much more subdued since your entrance into Beta.

I wouldn't take it as a sign of anything other than me being under an NDA.

EDIT:  Also I am out of booze.  I need to stop by the liqour store this afternoon.  Thanks for the reminder.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 12:17:16 PM by cevik »

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #736 on: August 14, 2008, 12:53:53 PM

DAoC was the one game I remember where I could turn off flare spell effects.  That made PvP flow great on my system back in '00.  Hopefully they have built WAR with PvP and speed in mind so we can tweak settings.  And when I say tweak settings, I'm not referring to EQ2 (lol bloat) like graphic settings...  hell.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #737 on: August 14, 2008, 01:15:49 PM

DAoC was the one game I remember where I could turn off flare spell effects.  That made PvP flow great on my system back in '00.  Hopefully they have built WAR with PvP and speed in mind so we can tweak settings.  And when I say tweak settings, I'm not referring to EQ2 (lol bloat) like graphic settings...  hell.

I'd be surprised if they didn't learn from their DAOC experiences.

That said, can't you do this in WoW? I could have sworn we had a raid go all kinds of sideways because someone had spell effects off and didn't see the GIANT GLOWING THING TO AVOID.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #738 on: August 14, 2008, 01:30:58 PM

You can't turn them off completely, but you can lower the settings dramatically for spell effects, so a lot of the higher end effects for raids wouldn't show up due to their not being a 'low res' effect or whatever.

Oops  awesome, for real

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #739 on: August 14, 2008, 05:50:59 PM

Yeah, turning them down generally means that you can't see bad things to avoid standing in them.  Since a lot of WoW raids and some instance boss fights are primarily about not standing in bad things, this does not go well when people have their graphics turned down.

Personally I liked what I remember of the EQ2 graphics settings.  Very detailed, lots of options, able to set them to exactly what I wanted.  Could get the game running on my old computer and somehow managed to get it to look only mostly like crap (sadly, EQ2 didn't scale well at all, at least back then).  I don't like the simpler graphics options of most games where they don't give lots of detailed options to tweak things just right.  With EQ2 I could turn down the things that I didn't think mattered and keep the stuff I liked high.

I hope WAR does well with its graphics options.  I hear the beta has no options at the moment, so the leaked screenshots I've seen aren't a good indication.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #740 on: August 14, 2008, 08:33:27 PM

When the NDA drops here.. just try some of those critical reading skills? 

When the NDA drops for any game (and sometimes months before!) just look for posts by me.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #741 on: August 14, 2008, 09:54:43 PM

Those of you in the Beta, stop talking about the Beta (features).
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #742 on: August 15, 2008, 02:33:38 AM

I'd be surprised if they didn't learn from their DAOC experiences.

That said, can't you do this in WoW? I could have sworn we had a raid go all kinds of sideways because someone had spell effects off and didn't see the GIANT GLOWING THING TO AVOID.

This is quite true in my experience. WoW has a spell effects slider and at it's lowest setting it turns off everything. Until I adjusted it up 1 notch I couldn't see that scorched earth or whatever it's called in the dragon fight in Karazhan and died a couple of times to it.

HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #743 on: August 15, 2008, 05:03:05 AM

This game performs pretty well if you ask me.
Remember it's still the DAoC client below.

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #744 on: August 15, 2008, 08:07:05 AM

So I was completely wrong about gamestop not sending me my codes, it turns out they sent them to me way back when I placed the order and I completely forgot about them.  I didn't want to lose them so I forwarded them to my work email, when I went looking for them at my normal email I couldn't find them...  I fucked up.
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #745 on: August 15, 2008, 08:41:11 AM

If you have pre-order codes create your accounts now at

https://accounts.eamythic.com

They are only taking 50k preorders for the preview weekend.

"Things will be moving fast so we encourage everyone to enter their codes as soon as possible. Also remember that up to the first 50 thousand Special Edition Open-Beta codes to be registered will also be invited to the Preview Weekend - don't delay!"

http://herald.warhammeronline.com/warherald/NewsArticle.war?id=185
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #746 on: August 15, 2008, 09:13:55 AM

The account management page accepted my code for the head start and bonus items but not the open beta code. I have the Target box is anyone else having better luck?

Just tried roomate's key, no dice.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 09:23:51 AM by MuffinMan »

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #747 on: August 15, 2008, 09:26:57 AM

Under Subscriptions 'tab', what does it say in the orange box under Account Description?

Mine says

Enabled
Closed Beta
Open Beta
Gamestop Preorder
CE Head Start

I'd wager that if it says Open beta under that area you're in... otherwise email them I guess.

EDIT:::::::::::::::::

http://herald.warhammeronline.com/warherald/NewsArticle.war?id=187

"Greetings!

Since bringing the Account Center live it has come to our attention that some Target Pre-Order customers are encountering errors when attempting to register their keys.

We have discovered that due to mis-printing the letter "Q" is displaying as an "O". Pre-Order keys will never contains "O" or "0". Be sure that in any scenario where there appears to be an O that you enter "Q" instead.

We apologize for this inconvenience. Thank you!
"

Try that.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 09:36:29 AM by Hawkbit »
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #748 on: August 15, 2008, 09:36:39 AM

Edit: Beat me by 10 seconds posting that. Yea that was the problem.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 09:41:52 AM by MuffinMan »

fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #749 on: August 15, 2008, 09:39:14 AM

FYI there's no notification if your in the first 50k or not, but anyone from CE has been confirmed in.

Edit: Still no closed beta key  swamp poop
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 10:39:50 AM by fuser »
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #750 on: August 15, 2008, 09:46:46 AM

I still find it funny that everything refers to it as a Target "pre-order". Makes me think that the box was supposed to be $5.00 at Target instead of $.99 since it comes with the $5 off coupon. Still doesn't guarantee you a release copy or reserve it for you in any way.

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #751 on: August 15, 2008, 03:19:53 PM

Or it's a cute way for Target to undercut the street price.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #752 on: August 18, 2008, 06:13:06 AM

I still find it funny that everything refers to it as a Target "pre-order". Makes me think that the box was supposed to be $5.00 at Target instead of $.99 since it comes with the $5 off coupon. Still doesn't guarantee you a release copy or reserve it for you in any way.

Actually, it doesnt say pre-order anywhere on the target box.  It says "pre-release box"

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #753 on: August 18, 2008, 06:42:35 AM

EA announced that open Beta starts September 7th.  Most likely NDA will drop at that time.  Infer what you will from Mark's previous posts.

http://investor.ea.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=88189&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1188038&highlight=
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #754 on: August 18, 2008, 08:46:22 AM

EA announced that open Beta starts September 7th. 

That's the same day that Spore is supposed to go retail, or live, or whatever. Is EA going to try to break their bandwidth pipes? What else are they releasing that day?

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
tazelbain
Unknown

tazelbain

Reply #755 on: August 18, 2008, 08:52:12 AM

EA announced that open Beta starts September 7th.  Most likely NDA will drop at that time.  Infer what you will from Mark's previous posts.

http://investor.ea.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=88189&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1188038&highlight=
Yikes, that would pretty bad.

"Me am play gods"
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #756 on: August 18, 2008, 09:01:29 AM

So where did ten days fall on Jacobs' "NDA Drop Corresponds to Good-Okay-Shite" list?

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
tazelbain
Unknown

tazelbain

Reply #757 on: August 18, 2008, 09:10:00 AM

Closer to Shit than Okay.

"Me am play gods"
amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #758 on: August 18, 2008, 09:52:39 AM

Edit:

Mark Jacobs says NDA lift is actually tommorrow, and not connected with open Beta.

http://vnboards.ign.com/warhammer_online_age_of_reckoning_general_board/b22997/108251860/p1/?36
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #759 on: August 18, 2008, 09:53:11 AM

Jacobs, in his most recent WHA post (Friday or so) "really, really hopes" the NDA falls this week.  He's always maintained that there were three things to fix (two done now, from his last public posting)- the first two were easy to identify from six-month old NDA leaks, but I am honestly drawing a blank on what the third might be.  No clue at all.

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
cevik
I'm Special

I've always wondered about the All Black People Eat Watermelons

Reply #760 on: August 18, 2008, 10:07:21 AM

Quote from: Mark Jacobs
As I've said before, my system for judging a company's confidence in its product is based on how early the NDA is lifted. I give the game one point for every week before launch that the NDA is lifted. A score of 1 or less means big trouble, 2-4 is okay but not great, 4-8 is good to great and anything higher than that is nirvana.

So if the NDA lift is tomorrow, which puts us squarely in 2-4 week territory then I have to give Mark credit for his scoring system, though it may be a tad on the optimistic side.

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #761 on: August 18, 2008, 04:21:44 PM

As I've said before, my system for judging a company's confidence in its product is based on how early the NDA is lifted. I give the game one point for every week before launch that the NDA is lifted. A score of 1 or less means big trouble, 2-4 is okay but not great, 4-8 is good to great and anything higher than that is nirvana.

So if the NDA lift is tomorrow, which puts us squarely in 2-4 week territory then I have to give Mark credit for his scoring system, though it may be a tad on the optimistic side.

It will be interesting. I predict a flame war of biblical proportions.

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #762 on: August 18, 2008, 05:42:41 PM

NDA lift is definitely tomorrow.

I don't think the flame war will be on the vault. VN is looking to WAR to push itself back into some semblance of relevance, the Mod squad appears to be in force  with backup ready. I wouldn't flame a Dev or the game there unless you want a quick exit.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 05:46:04 PM by sigil »
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #763 on: August 18, 2008, 07:01:01 PM

Silly question, but is it OFFICIAL official? Or 'almost sorta positive it may happen' official as per norm?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #764 on: August 18, 2008, 07:27:49 PM

It's not OFFICIAL official.  MJ said he expects it to drop tomorrow, that's all. 

After being in beta for a few days, all I have to say is  NDA
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #765 on: August 19, 2008, 12:13:09 AM

Popcorn

/eager
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #766 on: August 19, 2008, 04:43:34 AM

I think that would be optimistic for Mythic.

From what I see Warhammer risks to produce less noise than AoC. And it may not be too bad.

AoC = big launch, quickly forgotten
Warhammer = slower launch, better retention

As with every PvP game, the success depends what they do post release and how well they react to problems. It can go either way.

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #767 on: August 19, 2008, 05:29:24 AM

They put the game up for download off there site yesterday, "free" to anyone off fileplanet or thru mythics system if you have an open beta code.

WAAAGH!!!

The time has finally come to ready yourself for WAR. You and your allies can now prepare for the Age of Reckoning and download the game.

Open Beta starts September 7th, will you be ready?

Click here for all of the details and where to get the game...See you on the battlefield!

nothing about  NDA lifted yet.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #768 on: August 19, 2008, 06:40:03 AM

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #769 on: August 19, 2008, 07:05:15 AM

If the game were close to that, I'd consider playing...

The elf and dark elf bit was cute.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 34 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: WAR to be released...  
Jump to: