Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 01:50:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  The Secret World  |  Topic: Dark Days Are Coming - New Funcom Project 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 52 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dark Days Are Coming - New Funcom Project  (Read 532278 times)
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #945 on: August 27, 2011, 02:25:20 PM

"Due to technical difficulties we have decided to postpone the first phase of the Secret War experience and the beta registration until further notice."
http://www.thesecretworld.com/news/secret_war_and_beta_registration_delayed

I could say they might be learning their lessons from AoC, but then they should have learned those lessons from AO   Ohhhhh, I see.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #946 on: August 27, 2011, 02:30:15 PM

They're taking this beta deathly seriously. They understand what's riding on this.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #947 on: August 27, 2011, 03:22:30 PM

They're taking this beta deathly seriously. They understand what's riding on this.

Pfft ...why break their record of failed launches?  Imagine the resumes..

"Yeah, we kicked out not one, not two, but THREE failed MMOs.  And we're still here, dammit!  DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #948 on: August 27, 2011, 07:33:49 PM

Funcom
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #949 on: August 28, 2011, 01:26:36 PM

A fucking registration page. They can't even get that out orderly in time?  why so serious?

EVE (inactive): Deakin Frost -- APB (fukken dead): Kayleigh (on Patriot).
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #950 on: August 28, 2011, 01:30:08 PM

reg paths are hard
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #951 on: August 28, 2011, 08:52:55 PM

Word is the delay is actually a fake front to an ARG that leads people to sign up to beta.

Funcom seems to have decided a good promotional strategy was, "Let's pretend we can't even launch our beta registrations correctly! It will be so AWESOME!".

Spiff
Terracotta Army

Reply #952 on: August 28, 2011, 11:03:24 PM

Word is the delay is actually a fake front to an ARG that leads people to sign up to beta.

Funcom seems to have decided a good promotional strategy was, "Let's pretend we can't even launch our beta registrations correctly! It will be so AWESOME!".

Haha, that would be too funny.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Actually the game already launched, you just have to solve a series of cleverly hidden clues around the net to get in!
Will you be hardcore enough to give FC your money?  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #953 on: August 29, 2011, 02:43:32 PM

The beta reg is now 'actually for reals, we mean it' open for business.  If you don't have or don't like FB, though, you can officially fuck off  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

WayAbvPar

Reply #954 on: August 29, 2011, 03:09:20 PM

"Due to technical difficulties

That should really be the name of the company. Funcom isn't nearly as accurate a description.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #955 on: August 29, 2011, 04:20:42 PM

Yes, you actually need to authorise their Secret World Facebook API in order to apply for the beta. I went ahead and made myself a special Secret World Facebook account for this purpose (which is against Facebook's rules, I know) and it turns out hundreds of other people have had the same idea. There are people with accounts named "TSW Andrew" or "Aux Illuminati", apparently not caring about or ignorant of Facebook's terms of service (real names only, one profile per person only). I guess if people want to play this Secret World Facebook game it probably seems reasonable to "create a character" for it, but you're not really meant to.

From Funcom's point of view this must be a little disconcerting, as I assume the idea was to get their fans to spread the word to non-fans, not to make special TSW Facebook accounts where they could have a huge circle-jerk with other Secret World fans who have also made special TSW Facebook accounts and are already planning to buy the game.

Still, I think it's an interesting marketing exercise and in general, I really hope Funcom succeeds with this MMO. As far as I know, the only AAA MMOs we are actually likely to see in the next 12 months are this and TOR, and while TOR is the game that might turn out to be the WOW killer, The Secret World appears to have far more innovation and originality and is much more interesting to me.

Edit: Oh wait, it seems that if you ever took the personality test that used to be on their site and had nothing to do with Facebook then you are also automatically taken to have applied for the beta.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 05:02:20 PM by palmer_eldritch »
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #956 on: August 30, 2011, 06:08:49 AM

Massively talks about how trying to do both a Paid Subscription model and a Cash Shop at the same time at launch is a silly idea for what will surely be an extremely niche game in today's cramped market.

I'm not sure if they still do it, but I believe that when EQ2 launched, the Cash Shop was only available on select servers, while other servers didn't allow RMTs.  I think that would be the best for here, yes?

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #957 on: August 30, 2011, 06:10:25 AM

I recall the EQ2 exchange/thing only coming online well after launch.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #958 on: August 30, 2011, 06:35:04 AM

The red panda facepalm convinced me.  I didn't need to read any further.

I'm still surprised no one has tried the Free Realms model of f2p with limits, cheap sub with cash shop, and cheap lifetime member with cash shop.  I don't begrudge a company trying to make money, nor charging for vanity items, but for some reason only a handful of companies and games seem to "get it".  Turbine, ArenaNet, and Free Realms.  (Clone Wars prices are insane for what they give you, but Star Wars, so people eat it up.)

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #959 on: August 30, 2011, 07:13:36 AM

I dunno, I really enjoy the model in Global agenda. They even talked me into a robot head for 8$.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #960 on: August 30, 2011, 07:19:30 AM

My game will only keep players who are HARDCORE into whatever crappy mechanics, lore, setting, etc I have to offer. My game is the ONLY game that offers the golden cheese, which looks a lot like regular american cheese but we don't talk about that. So if I plant a big sign saying "get your in game uber potions here for five dollars" will these players leave? No. Worst case scenario they don't buy anything. Best case I've just collected 5 extra dollars.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #961 on: August 30, 2011, 07:34:09 AM

My game will only keep players who are HARDCORE into whatever crappy mechanics, lore, setting, etc I have to offer. My game is the ONLY game that offers the golden cheese, which looks a lot like regular american cheese but we don't talk about that. So if I plant a big sign saying "get your in game uber potions here for five dollars" will these players leave? No. Worst case scenario they don't buy anything. Best case I've just collected 5 extra dollars.

Fair enough, but if your in-game uber potions allow anyone to overcome any obstacle or opposing force without difficulty, I will kindly tell you and your game to go pound sand  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #962 on: August 30, 2011, 07:42:19 AM

You weren't hardcore enough to begin with.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #963 on: August 30, 2011, 07:45:49 AM

You weren't hardcore enough to begin with.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Oh so you're a Darkfall dev/fanboi?  All is forgiven then  why so serious?

Jamiko
Terracotta Army

Reply #964 on: August 30, 2011, 11:40:47 AM

Beta registration without Facebook being required:

https://register.funcom.com/signup/ctrl/register/us/tsw/TSW-BETA1
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #965 on: October 15, 2011, 06:57:33 AM

"This is not simply PvP. It's player conflict and factional MMO gameplay taken to the next level."

Funcom have released a new video about the factions in the game and the PvP zones ("warzones"). Each PvP zone can have around 100 people in it, and the winning team gains some sort of reward for their entire society, including those who didn't take part in the fight. I'm not sure if any of this information is new but the fights do look pretty epic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFJTprVXHfQ
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #966 on: October 15, 2011, 07:48:16 AM

How is this world so secret if they're fighting these huge pvp battles in plain view?

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #967 on: October 15, 2011, 07:52:18 AM

Perception filters and a fuckton of psychic paper.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #968 on: October 15, 2011, 08:23:40 AM

I remember the original description being that all the battles take place inside the hollow world we live on, which would have solved that problem. But it looks like they've given up on that, and are also generally discovering that "secret" and MMO don't go together.

Their fascination with face-book integration also worries me.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #969 on: October 15, 2011, 02:11:44 PM

Well, the fact they're abandoning the "secret" part of "the secret world" kind of makes their game pretty generic yes?  I was hoping the internal intrigue would magically manifest somehow inside the game, similar to what we see in pbbg strat. games (and EVE) these days.  There's no reason why an actiony-mmo cant incorporate those mechanics.

Aside from that, I was also hoping they'd take a page from WoD and meta the point of staying "invisible" in the real world or that's your ass.   Oh well.  It's standard faire for us all!

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #970 on: October 15, 2011, 05:39:45 PM

Aside from that, I was also hoping they'd take a page from WoD and meta the point of staying "invisible" in the real world or that's your ass.   Oh well.  It's standard faire for us all!

Most WoD computer games don't even go that far.

Although it would be awesome.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #971 on: October 17, 2011, 01:39:44 PM

The game looks better than the last time I saw a demo.  I'll give them that.
Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #972 on: October 17, 2011, 03:20:56 PM

Pfft ...why break their record of failed launches?  Imagine the resumes..

"Yeah, we kicked out not one, not two, but THREE failed MMOs.  And we're still here, dammit!  DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS

You know I am seriously starting to respect funcom for their tenacity. I know that no matter how hard they f@ck up their games will  still be running! (unlike  some completely unrelated to swtor project)
Outlawedprod
Terracotta Army

Reply #973 on: November 21, 2011, 06:39:49 AM

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/11/21/hands-on-the-secret-world/

BTW can someone update this thread title to the game's current announced name?
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #974 on: November 21, 2011, 08:06:30 AM

Massively got a hands-on preview too.

It's a pretty glowing review. Obviously the game's not finished yet, so the reviewer notes things like "the built-in gear manager that is still forthcoming."

The two articles have the same artwork, but don't be fooled! They're written by different people, mostly using different words :)

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
schild
Administrator

Reply #975 on: November 21, 2011, 08:13:51 AM

It’s a huge challenge, building an MMO that has so many narrative threads running through it, but I think I understand a little better how it will work. There will be large set pieces, sure, but the brilliance of The Secret World may be in the way it asks its players to piece every detail of the promised 150-200 hours of content together. The world doesn’t just contain one story, or even hundreds, the world is the story and it will continue in every conversation that attempts to understand how the world works, and what ties all these myths together. It’s not just about multiple players fighting together; it’s about them talking together, particularly during those investigations.

When in the nine shits did RPS start writing PR copy?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #976 on: November 21, 2011, 01:45:07 PM

200 hours of content? That's less than a month's worth of content at the catassy 8 hours a day playtime level. I look forward to the "This game has no content!" whines after release.

Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #977 on: November 21, 2011, 02:49:11 PM

Cat-asses are always going to hit the content wall and whine, and can be safely ignored. 200 hours of content is not a bad number though of course the pace at which they can add new content and the amount of end-game repeatable activity are pretty important.

That said I expect the game to be flawed, in some fairly major ways, but I'm just so happy to see something other than fantasy. Was reading the comic "Planetary" which was full of people with powers and contemporary mysteries and it showed how much could be done with this setup.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #978 on: December 07, 2011, 04:58:56 AM

WayAbvPar

Reply #979 on: December 07, 2011, 10:53:12 AM

Wow, that sounds like it has some potential. How much non-questy stuff is available- anyone know?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 52 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  The Secret World  |  Topic: Dark Days Are Coming - New Funcom Project  
Jump to: