Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:23:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  The Secret World  |  Topic: Dark Days Are Coming - New Funcom Project 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dark Days Are Coming - New Funcom Project  (Read 517183 times)
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #1785 on: July 31, 2012, 02:40:06 PM

Gaming "journalism" hasn't been relevant since the mid-90s. Come on guys, nothing to get surprised about here.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Abelian75
Terracotta Army

Reply #1786 on: July 31, 2012, 03:19:26 PM

I do think the amount of shittyness from gaming journalism is increasing, though.  It may have been shit for a while, but it really seems to be getting pretty wildly ridiculous recently.  To me, at least.
Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #1787 on: July 31, 2012, 03:42:58 PM

Tom Chicks been around for years. He was the guy who made his name giving Deus Ex 4/10. Giving 'controversial' shit scores to games is what he does.

It's a shame because he's a good writer, but between that and the unbelievable favouritism he shows to certain games he's really not worth reading or paying attention to at all. The way he talked Bioshock 2 up was sickening it was such grotesque flatter...
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #1788 on: July 31, 2012, 03:55:27 PM

What is ridiculous is that imbeciles like that can somehow mean more or less money, funding and support for a company and all its workers.
It is quite ridiculous to tie funding, support etc to what's already a byproduct of manipulations, paid reviews, shill reviews and whatnot, thus reinforcing incentives to further corrupt/manipulate such "feedback". A random guy with lower score is the least of problems with this.
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #1789 on: August 01, 2012, 05:41:37 AM

So being unashamedly lazy and not reading through all the threads, is this game fun?  I'm kinda curious but kinda burned out on MMO's at the same time.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1790 on: August 01, 2012, 07:08:28 AM

I find it is, however it is much closer to the type of gaming experience I like than most MMOs.  Being competently made and not a re-skin of WoW helps immensely.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Tyrnan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1791 on: August 01, 2012, 07:19:23 AM

If you register an account with them now you should be able to play during the celebration event this weekend for free.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1792 on: August 01, 2012, 09:51:55 AM

So being unashamedly lazy and not reading through all the threads, is this game fun?  I'm kinda curious but kinda burned out on MMO's at the same time.
Check out the free weekend as mentioned. Use the info in the f13 chat channel thread to hook up with f13ers and ask stuff.

I know I liked TOR so my opinion is suspect :) but this is a fun game, I'm glad I decided to give it a shot. Interesting different take on a lot of things that keeps it from feeling too same-y. Lets you get comfortable then drops the floor on you and you have to scramble to re-adjust to a new comfort zone....repeat.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1793 on: August 01, 2012, 10:13:41 AM

If you cant find fun in this game, you're either:
a) deathly afraid of the dark
b) are broken
c) all of the above

I can understand a).  It can be a pretty creepy and scary game at times and I know a few people who just wont play it based on that.  Games like ToR and WoW rely on age-old norse mythological fantasy whereas this game pulls from Crowley and Lovecraft...  there is no hope, just a slow spiral into occult madness.  I mean, the damned environment itself is actively trying to kill you most times.   awesome, for real

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1794 on: August 01, 2012, 10:53:10 AM

Honestly I'm normally the first person to be too scared of a game to play it - I had to stop playing System Shock 2 like 20 minutes in - but this game has not managed to do much more than make me jump once or twice, so that shouldn't be a problem for anyone I wouldn't think. I'm really awful with scary stuff normally.

All that said I'm not entirely sure the game is actually outright fun. It is interesting, and there's some clever stuff with the character building and quest construction, but the minute-to-minute combat gameplay is IMO worse than regular DIKU stuff by a good margin (keep in mind I am a big fan of regular DIKU stuff.)

So entertaining but not fun, if that makes any sense at all? I'm not sure it does but it's the best description I can give of my experience.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #1795 on: August 01, 2012, 11:33:02 AM

My only concern has been, besides the fact that I am a bit burnt out on mmo's is that funcom are normally much more about potential than actually delivering.  I'll give the free weekend a try at least, I do like creepy games.

Thanks all.
Abelian75
Terracotta Army

Reply #1796 on: August 02, 2012, 12:52:09 AM

I had the same concern as you, and was late to the party as a result, but in my opinion this isn't like their other games.  Sure, there are issues, but it's a pretty thoroughly fun game, and far less reliant on the carrot of a theoretical future where your character is uberpowerful than most MMOs.  Mostly when I play I'm just looking as far ahead as the next mission, and after a few weeks that's still keeping me going.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #1797 on: August 02, 2012, 01:27:20 AM

To me the gameplay is OK, but the reasons I am really into this game are the characters and the world. Beautiful, I keep playing to see what's next. That will make the game "over" for me when I'll be done with the content, but until then it's the most refreshing fun I had in a mmorpg in a very long time.

Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #1798 on: August 02, 2012, 04:26:09 AM

To me the gameplay is OK, but the reasons I am really into this game are the characters and the world. Beautiful, I keep playing to see what's next. That will make the game "over" for me when I'll be done with the content, but until then it's the most refreshing fun I had in a mmorpg in a very long time.

If they manage to keep delivering more content each month, of similar quality to what they've got now, that'd keep me coming back.  The world, setting, and story are definitely a huge part of the fun for me. 
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1799 on: August 03, 2012, 09:21:24 AM

What's funny is you can get curbstomped by a bossmob like the Bogeyman and in a few minutes theorycraft a deck that'll handle the situation.  All w/o having to 'respec' or grind some kind of special lootz or overlevels.  When FC was developing the system, it was what got them most excited... aside from the synergistic play.

What this also does 'oh so subtle' is allow a horizontal MOB difficulty, if that makes any sense.  For instance, in a normal MMO you'll have balance that enables people with just about any build to get past.  Whereas in TSW they can just say "fuck you, here's how you can most easily clear this pack...  game it and win, get creative, or come back over-QLed." They didnt have to sit there and say "shit, blood/fisters with this deck can't get through here so let's adjust the mobs."

As such, there's a lot less whining in the forums.  People are more in control of how far they can get w/o /bugging a nerfbat.

I mean, my gear manager is starting to fill up with all kinds of situational decks.  It's so ridiculous it's awesome.  I've got 'support dps,' 'main dps,' 'chaos tank,' 'purge dps,' 'turret aoe,'... and on and on.  And I'm just at SC.  Then of course, the moment I get a new skill or piece of gear all that shit changes.   awesome, for real

I'm starting to fall in love with my hindering-turret build though.  Something about creating a stunlocked killing field of murderness whilst I strafe around laughing gets me giddy.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Njal
Terracotta Army

Reply #1800 on: August 03, 2012, 09:44:52 AM

I currently love my Sword Ele build.

I lead with Ice manifestation which ae hinders mobs and does some damage. Use lightning which is a chain and thanks to my passive causes affliction. Three lightning and I follow with Blaze which auto crits due to passive, then the rest of the pack comes in and I hit my elite sword ae which impairs followed by clearing the path which auto penetrates cuz they are afflicted. If it's still standing at that point it's got at least 5k health and I just lightning and clear the path til I have built up enough for another auto crit blaze.

I just got the PvP Ql 10 sword which has a power of 398. Can't wait to try it out.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #1801 on: August 03, 2012, 10:06:16 AM

Gaming "journalism" hasn't been relevant since the mid-90s. Come on guys, nothing to get surprised about here.

Then there is these guys -> http://my.spill.com/profiles/blogs/the-secret-world-audio-review-1

Funny little audio review
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #1802 on: August 03, 2012, 10:22:08 AM

Who are these guys? Some more randoms with a microphone? Ignore.

MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #1803 on: August 03, 2012, 10:58:34 AM

Never heard of spill.com? Lolz. Anyway there just average joes giving the game a shot, which for all intent and purposes sounds about right.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1804 on: August 03, 2012, 11:18:44 AM

We love new kidz with linkz.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #1805 on: August 03, 2012, 11:23:52 AM

We love new kidz with linkz.

Hey it ain't my site. If you thought that was grating suffer through their play-throughs, which are universally bad no matter what games they play (though they made Secret World look exceptionally bad)
Njal
Terracotta Army

Reply #1806 on: August 03, 2012, 11:34:27 AM

I only read one review. That from RPS and they are why I decided to try the game. They are just about the only reviews except for word of mouth that I trust any more.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #1807 on: August 22, 2012, 08:37:40 PM

What is ridiculous is that imbeciles like that can somehow mean more or less money, funding and support for a company and all its workers.

If you remove Tom Chick's score from the Metacritic result then TSW's result goes up by less than 1% point. The issue is that a lot of critic reviews for TSW are in the low- to mid-70s. As a title a lot of reviews indicated it was interesting, but flawed.

(I've got a greater objection the Metracritic turning his 5 star rating system into a score out of 100, since those kind of ratings conversions are horrible. HORRIBLE.)

... and I've just realised I'm 20 days late to this particular party. POST AWAY!

trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #1808 on: August 22, 2012, 11:15:09 PM

The issue is that critics are terrible at objectively reviewing games.  They are prone to massive bias in favor of popular franchises and superstar developers.  Learned this shit when I was 14 from Black and White reviews, and it holds true today (what else can explain Dragon Age 2 review scores?).  Reviewers are mostly sheep.  Failcom with it's archaic pay to play model and history of failed MMOs had no chance out of the gate.  It had poor word of mouth from beta events (despite massive improvement towards the end of development).  Loads of people that hadn't played it bashing it for it's payment model and funcom's past work.  I highly doubt reviewers are immune to the popular sentiment they see in comments and forums.

I'm also on the 'RPS has the only reviews worth a damn' bandwagon.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 11:25:47 PM by trias_e »
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #1809 on: August 23, 2012, 08:22:28 PM

I'm not sure how deep we want to wander into "all reviews are subjective" territory, or the issues of turning a qualitative evaluation into a single quantitative score, but I do find it amusing that despite this system functioning more-or-less for almost every other entertainment category video games are somehow unique and unscorable.

As with all reviews, you find a source you like and then make your own choices about buying / not buying (or experiencing / not experiencing as the case may be) the title.

There are definitely issues with the gaming "press" being an enthusiast group who are really limited to ad funding from the companies that produce the products they are meant to review. Some definite conflict of interest there.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1810 on: August 24, 2012, 05:47:44 AM

You cant reliably score an MMO who's gameplay isn't realized until after 12-24 hrs. of gametime.  Most reviewers dont have that kind of time to sink into a game let alone a multiplayer RPG.  It's like asking Edward Scissorhands to review LoL2.  Good luck with that.

The only real failing the game has imo is just a serious lack of consolidated community.  Players are still scattered and the world feels disjointed. I daresay the main reason behind this is the lack of in-game events.  The engine doesn't really support it that well so I can somewhat understand that, but really the comm. devs need to be more active inside of the game in getting players to pool up in common locales.

Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  The Secret World  |  Topic: Dark Days Are Coming - New Funcom Project  
Jump to: