Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:03:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  The Secret World  |  Topic: Dark Days Are Coming - New Funcom Project 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dark Days Are Coming - New Funcom Project  (Read 525524 times)
Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #1750 on: July 06, 2012, 01:55:58 PM

O absolutely love this game, which I never expected. It's the first MMO I've played which actually would be good enough as a single player game with the storyline and atmosphere. (which TOR never managed).

Understand it won't be for some, but the storyline, voice acting, atmosphere, puzzles, character design, skill system and modern setting really make this game something special. Most fun MMO for me since WoW released, and anyone who wants to try something new in an MMO should give it a whirl.
brellium
Terracotta Army

Reply #1751 on: July 06, 2012, 02:00:06 PM

Just bought this with the 25% GMG discount.  I've thrown $37.50 at worse, I'm sure.  This is one of the first MMOs I'm coming into without knowing much at all, so maybe this will be interesting.

Why did you have to point out that sale?  I was doing so well with self control over impulse purchases.  I just have to keep reminding myself that my wife will murder me.
Or she'll steal your account.

‎"One must see in every human being only that which is worthy of praise. When this is done, one can be a friend to the whole human race. If, however, we look at people from the standpoint of their faults, then being a friend to them is a formidable task."
—‘Abdu’l-Bahá
brellium
Terracotta Army

Reply #1752 on: July 06, 2012, 02:01:17 PM

O absolutely love this game, which I never expected. It's the first MMO I've played which actually would be good enough as a single player game with the storyline and atmosphere. (which TOR never managed).

Understand it won't be for some, but the storyline, voice acting, atmosphere, puzzles, character design, skill system and modern setting really make this game something special. Most fun MMO for me since WoW released, and anyone who wants to try something new in an MMO should give it a whirl.
Funny, I was thinking the same thing too, the combat system wouldn't be good for a single player game, but the story line is awesome.

‎"One must see in every human being only that which is worthy of praise. When this is done, one can be a friend to the whole human race. If, however, we look at people from the standpoint of their faults, then being a friend to them is a formidable task."
—‘Abdu’l-Bahá
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1753 on: July 06, 2012, 03:55:59 PM

Why did you have to point out that sale?  I was doing so well with self control over impulse purchases.  I just have to keep reminding myself that my wife will murder me.
Make her some chocolate and maybe she'll only maim you. Grin

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #1754 on: July 06, 2012, 11:16:05 PM

Well, I suppose I should qualify my statement.  She's going to murder me because she doesn't want me MMO hopping when she's not mentally done with Tera yet.  I did just build a new computer tonight though, which you'd think is enough money flushed down the drain as is for one week.  The chocolates however are in the fridge (and not mailed out yet to people like they were supposed to be due to having to wait on the UPS guy all day).
Seraphim
Terracotta Army

Reply #1755 on: July 07, 2012, 09:59:51 AM

In case anyone missed it before the TSW forum revamp Dakirn posted the preliminary patch notes for 1.01 that'll supposedly fix a whole bunch of quest issues like Something Wickeds raven, chat crashes and bring in the Trade Post system.
cironian
Terracotta Army

play his game!: solarwar.net

Reply #1756 on: July 08, 2012, 01:56:50 PM

You got me. Bought this despite Funcom. First few hours were fun though, at least once I switched from AR/Elemental to AR/Blade. Much better with a weapon that can do fast AOE spam.
Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #1757 on: July 09, 2012, 06:43:26 AM

Yeah - I switched to blade / blood because the synergies are ridiculous, but all blood spells have a casting time. Even with being able to move whilst casting it just feel every sluggish compared to the instant cast ability of ranged / melee / chaos magic.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1758 on: July 09, 2012, 07:51:56 AM

I think Blood is supposed to be more of a traditional caster/healer that stands back.  (I have to agree with the feel though.  Chaos is so much more responsive.)

It took me a while to get used to it.  Now that I've gotten it to the outer ring though, some of the combinations are pretty impressive.  +penetrate rating upon applying affliction, +damage on applying affliction, +AoE damage on applying...

I'm almost all Blood right now.  Two single-target, two group skills, two heal/barriers for different purposes, and a Claw resource consumer.

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #1759 on: July 09, 2012, 09:19:49 AM

Open vein (aoe damage) is a nice instant Blood builder. It makes the spec feel a lot more responsive.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1760 on: July 09, 2012, 12:59:55 PM

Yeah, it does.  I think I'm going to be able to make it my main resource builder soon.  I forget the combo that'd let me drop Boiling Blood, but it was something that'd let me compensate for losing Boiling Blood's affliction.

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1761 on: July 10, 2012, 07:56:07 PM

FYI, mmorpg.com is having a contest for the best screenshot wearing the mmorpg.com in game T-shirt, with the prize being a lifetime sub to TSW.  They offered a code for the shirt awhile ago but I don't know if you can still get one.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/356675/page/1
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #1762 on: July 11, 2012, 01:21:44 AM

To be quite honest that t-shirt is pretty ugly, and I can't see a single reason to endorse or advertise for mmorpg.com.

Seraphim
Terracotta Army

Reply #1763 on: July 11, 2012, 03:04:14 AM

Yeah, it does.  I think I'm going to be able to make it my main resource builder soon.  I forget the combo that'd let me drop Boiling Blood, but it was something that'd let me compensate for losing Boiling Blood's affliction.

If you spend some AP on the Fist tree you can get Bloodsport passive (3rd ability in Outback) that causes affliction with all your attacks.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1764 on: July 11, 2012, 07:19:16 AM

To be quite honest that t-shirt is pretty ugly, and I can't see a single reason to endorse or advertise for mmorpg.com.

Free Lifteime sub?  The shirt is ugly but I'm a sucker for free giveaways. 
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1765 on: July 11, 2012, 08:23:31 AM

If you spend some AP on the Fist tree you can get Bloodsport passive (3rd ability in Outback) that causes affliction with all your attacks.
That was it!  I'm Blood/Fist, so it was a natural fit.  Thanks.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1766 on: July 11, 2012, 08:49:54 AM

That's really handy to know for another build I'm mulling for my femalt.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1767 on: July 11, 2012, 09:33:45 AM

I may have to take Fist just to get that afflicted thing. I've got a decent blade resource builder that exploits afflicted.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #1768 on: July 13, 2012, 10:04:55 AM

I'm playing this very casually, but this might be my favorite MMO experience since WoW.  (not counting GW2). 

It bleeds lore and story, and the stealth/investigation missions mix it up.  Getting things like IDs off bodies and passwords to use somewhere is awesome.  Some of the more obscure stuff is harder to find, like MiBV and that could use tweaking.  But overall very cool game.  I'll sub for a few months I'll bet.

I have to admit that I'm surprised Funcom did a good.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1769 on: July 13, 2012, 10:08:38 AM

I think I'm more surprised Funcom did an MMOG without their servers melting than anything else.  why so serious?

calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #1770 on: July 30, 2012, 06:02:28 AM

I am surprised at the apparent disparity between player opinion and professional reviews. I am beginning to wonder if our collective image of game journalism as impartial arbiter of quality still lives up to closer scrutiny?

Food for thought...

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #1771 on: July 30, 2012, 06:38:16 AM

I am beginning to wonder if our collective image of game journalism as impartial arbiter of quality still lives up to closer scrutiny?

I've never once entertained the notion that mainstream game journalism was anything other than hype.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1772 on: July 30, 2012, 06:49:37 AM

So many reviews were apparently based on beta or early betas, and then there's a Quarter to Three review  why so serious? rating the game 4 out of 10 killing their metascore. It's sad to know that companies like EA give (or not give) bonuses to their employees based on shit like that.

Gaming journalism is like "Tradition in Revolution, Democratic Oligarchy, Parmenidean Dynamics, Heraclitean Statics, Spartan Sybaritics, Tautological Dialectics, Boolean Eristic". Oxymoronic.

calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #1773 on: July 30, 2012, 07:00:50 AM

I am beginning to wonder if our collective image of game journalism as impartial arbiter of quality still lives up to closer scrutiny?

I've never once entertained the notion that mainstream game journalism was anything other than hype.

Obviously Americans don't do irony!

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1774 on: July 30, 2012, 07:43:39 AM

We need green to detect sarcasm.

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #1775 on: July 31, 2012, 12:16:19 AM

I am surprised at the apparent disparity between player opinion and professional reviews. I am beginning to wonder if our collective image of game journalism as impartial arbiter of quality still lives up to closer scrutiny?

Food for thought...

Given the number of MMOs that get good reviews at launch only to tank, perhaps game reviewers have finally become gunshy.

Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #1776 on: July 31, 2012, 12:50:29 AM

I am really enjoying this so far.  The art is a little clunky at times (character animation wonkiness, weird elbow bends, low res textures), but the characters, dialogue, quest design, etc massively makes up for it.  I'm pretty burnt out on stock MMO fantasy settings, and it's nice to see stuff that messes with the "traditional" design a bit.  I think they struck a decent balance between showing you where to go with map markers and arrows, but not going too nuts with giant glowing !s and ?s all over the place -- have a quest to find missing scraps of a medical report and the map circles take me to areas to search, but within those areas I'm hunting for scraps of paper.  I like it.
Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #1777 on: July 31, 2012, 05:33:16 AM

So many reviews were apparently based on beta or early betas, and then there's a Quarter to Three review  why so serious? rating the game 4 out of 10 killing their metascore. It's sad to know that companies like EA give (or not give) bonuses to their employees based on shit like that.

Gaming journalism is like "Tradition in Revolution, Democratic Oligarchy, Parmenidean Dynamics, Heraclitean Statics, Spartan Sybaritics, Tautological Dialectics, Boolean Eristic". Oxymoronic.

How the hell did quarter to three give it 4 out of 10? That's utterly beyond me.

*Checks site.*

Oh for fucks sake it's Tom Chick. That guy should be blacklisted from sites like Meta-critic. His shock jockey reviews tinged with corruptions and a desire to get attention really sicken me. I honestly don't know why anyone pays him any attention at all anymore. He's a one trick pony and it's really depressing to see him downrate games like 'Secret World' whilst building a statue proclaiming the glory of Bioshock 2.

palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #1778 on: July 31, 2012, 05:47:23 AM

I felt really sorry for Funcom at times during the beta. It's as if people don't believe in the idea of a beta test any more and imagine they are somehow playing the finished product, a couple of months before release. It's perfectly reasonable to predict that a game won't change much before release but that can't be the end of the argument - you do then need to wait for release to find out whether your prediction comes true (in this case, the game continued improving up to launch day).
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #1779 on: July 31, 2012, 05:53:02 AM

How the hell did quarter to three give it 4 out of 10? That's utterly beyond me.

*Checks site.*

Oh for fucks sake it's Tom Chick. That guy should be blacklisted from sites like Meta-critic. His shock jockey reviews tinged with corruptions and a desire to get attention really sicken me. I honestly don't know why anyone pays him any attention at all anymore. He's a one trick pony and it's really depressing to see him downrate games like 'Secret World' whilst building a statue proclaiming the glory of Bioshock 2.

Slates game
Racks up four whole days /played in just 21 days real time
Is Tom Chick

How anal would he get about a game he admitted to liking?
Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #1780 on: July 31, 2012, 05:56:51 AM

I can understand not liking the game, andi can understand bugs driving the score down (they should do!), but this is not a 4/10 game. It's simple not.

It does sadden me that SWTOR gets better scores than this despite being worse in every area. Hell, I even had hat bugs in that game and often couldn't hear or see party chat/ chat channels! That's the power of advertising budgets I guess...
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1781 on: July 31, 2012, 06:17:52 AM

What is ridiculous is that imbeciles like that can somehow mean more or less money, funding and support for a company and all its workers.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1782 on: July 31, 2012, 07:49:02 AM

What is ridiculous is that imbeciles like that can somehow mean more or less money, funding and support for a company and all its workers.

I brought this up in a similar post in defense of a D3 modder that Blizz trashed publicly in the forum.  People really need to be careful what they post in highly visible forums directly related to marketing.  One 'thread submit' can mean foodstamps for someone undeservedly.

Anyways, prior to today's patch I'd say SWTOR was the better game.  But now that the UI, chat, and marketplace are up that's no longer the case.  My only remaining gripe is lack of any real 'feel' to the faction cities making it a bland world to simply hangout in.  And the game still has a bit of a Rift approach to gaming moreso than AoC.  That is, minmax to death, get in/out, and kickass.  Logoff.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1783 on: July 31, 2012, 11:08:41 AM

The dude is just a nut, he shouldn't have a place in their formula.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #1784 on: July 31, 2012, 11:13:33 AM

I dunnh who the hell the guy is but TSW is not a 4/10 game. It has/had some very annoying bugs (most of which are fixed by now) but it was always playable and stable game .  And it being actual fresh , new and original in a sea of stale ponds called MMOs .And actually being good game after all that as well! .Heck on MMO scale that should be 9/10 at very least
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  The Secret World  |  Topic: Dark Days Are Coming - New Funcom Project  
Jump to: