Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:33:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  The Secret World  |  Topic: Dark Days Are Coming - New Funcom Project 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dark Days Are Coming - New Funcom Project  (Read 517288 times)
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #1715 on: June 29, 2012, 04:22:51 PM

I had more fun in beta with this than AO or AOC.  Mostly because I think the setting is better and it wasn't as much of a wreck stability wise.

-Rasix
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #1716 on: June 29, 2012, 04:23:00 PM

I think it has plenty of merits. Seriously. And plenty of flaws. But definitely worth supporting for its differences and for its content.
I don't think it's worth the monthly fee, but if it lasts you 29 days I would say it payed its box price and will certainly leave you with stories to tell.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1717 on: June 29, 2012, 04:27:48 PM

I think it has plenty of merits. Seriously. And plenty of flaws. But definitely worth supporting for its differences and for its content.
I don't think it's worth the monthly fee, but if it lasts you 29 days I would say it payed its box price and will certainly leave you with stories to tell.

Thanks.  Sounds like SWTOR.  Worth the box, not the sub.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #1718 on: June 29, 2012, 04:30:00 PM

Pretty much.  Very similar.

-Rasix
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #1719 on: June 29, 2012, 04:41:03 PM

The average MMOGer hitting ESC through dialogues and rushing for the endgame is going to be sorely disappointed in this game, I predict.

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #1720 on: June 29, 2012, 06:19:13 PM

If there is any recent release where it would have paid you to try the demo weekends this is it. Because, the questing style is definitely a not for everyone thing. A friend of mine tried it and lasted maybe an hour. He's dyslexic though and thus reads real slow and doesn't read recreationally so the style of quests in Secret World were a definate turn off for him.

Btw is this the first time an active board has gotten the boot to the graveyard? Because while it was only a half dozen people SWToR was still alive when it got hauled off.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 06:21:57 PM by Phred »
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #1721 on: June 29, 2012, 06:24:46 PM

Well, TOR only has 4 times as many subscribers as Eve so that means it's dead and has to go to the graveyard.  rolleyes
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 06:36:33 PM by Nevermore »

Over and out.
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #1722 on: June 29, 2012, 06:27:14 PM

City of Heroes and LotRO both got booted while still relatively active.

Do not try and understand the rules. That's impossible.
Instead, only try to realize the truth.
There are no rules.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #1723 on: June 29, 2012, 06:33:13 PM

I guess our overlords don't think we can handle more than 5 choices at any one time.
If only we were as intelligent as the console gamers able to juggle 7 choices.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1724 on: June 29, 2012, 06:55:28 PM

HAI GUYS...HOW DO I GET MY PRE-ORDER ITEMS!!!

Most asked question in the chat channel, even though the answer was right there in the launcher when they started the God damn game.  When the store was down earlier, that was mentioned in the launcher as well.  Good lord. Facepalm

Oh, and I'm in now on Arcadia (still wished it was named Faerie Heartbreak) as a Templar.  Name is Ginaz, if your nick name is the one used to add people to the friends list.  I'm going for the Puritan deck atm, shotguns and hammers.  Lots of fun so far and everything seems to be running fairly smoothly.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1725 on: June 29, 2012, 07:38:26 PM

Pro-ish tip: not that "leveling up" matters that much in this game, and I gotta say progression is ridiculously fast already, but if you feel like exploring Fusang (PvP permanent area) right now that not everyone is an imba god of immortality, you might find a zerg of people from your faction conquering a facility, and assuming you didn't forget to take the quest you will snatch the easiest 300k XP ever, which are basically 7AP and almost 3AP. It really gives you that JRPG feeling of getting 3 levels in one hit. Do eet.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1726 on: June 29, 2012, 08:05:17 PM

I just feel like if I'm gonna invest in one of these things again, I want shit to do that it something worth doing in three or four months. Which none of these things have provided now for a long time.
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #1727 on: June 29, 2012, 08:09:25 PM

What's kind of annoying is that you can't replay the cutscenes that started a mission. A lot of details are being said there, that don't show up in the log. I've been on a wild goose chase in regards to the survivors in Kingsmouth due to that.

EVE (inactive): Deakin Frost -- APB (fukken dead): Kayleigh (on Patriot).
schild
Administrator

Reply #1728 on: June 29, 2012, 10:03:16 PM

I just want to say - this has launched, in a way - and I don't even know what the game looks like. I've yet to see a screenshot from less than 2 years ago.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #1729 on: June 29, 2012, 10:11:32 PM

you might find a zerg of people from your faction conquering a facility, and assuming you didn't forget to take the quest you will snatch the easiest 300k XP ever
You don't even need to remember taking the quest in advance -- there's quest dispenser right in the facility so you can kill the NPC guardian and grab the quest while the ownership of facility switches (which takes ~10-20 secs or so)

It's more practical to have the 'kill 10 people' quest active while you dick around, instead. As that can take a longer while to complete (but you can always drop it to grab the 'take facility' instead right when you need it)
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #1730 on: June 30, 2012, 12:47:10 AM

The Siren's Song.   Heart
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #1731 on: June 30, 2012, 12:53:46 AM

Minus the framerate issues, I think this is a great in-game preview.  It's a little spoilery, but damn if it doesn't capture the spirit of this game incredibly well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Hi3Fi_cKho&feature=related
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 12:59:52 AM by trias_e »
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1732 on: June 30, 2012, 03:56:21 AM

It's more practical to have the 'kill 10 people' quest active while you dick around, instead. As that can take a longer while to complete (but you can always drop it to grab the 'take facility' instead right when you need it)

Except I can't seem to understand the logic behind the kill credit. I've been slamming people for 30 minutes straight and barely got a couple of kills, then died and went to respawn and got 6 kills in a row towards quest completion while I was galloping back towards the hot zone.

Also, has anyone found any way to actually group with friends in Fusang instead of just being part of the big raid while actually seeing just strangers in your party frame?

palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #1733 on: June 30, 2012, 04:30:30 AM

I just want to say - this has launched, in a way - and I don't even know what the game looks like. I've yet to see a screenshot from less than 2 years ago.

I know a hint when I see one and I've got what you're looking for right here:

There you go, buddy. There's your shot of Edward "Palmer" Jameson.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1734 on: June 30, 2012, 04:41:34 AM

You are roleplaying HaemishM?

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1735 on: June 30, 2012, 04:52:46 AM

Heh.

Good one.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Tyrnan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1736 on: June 30, 2012, 05:13:35 AM

So I hear all you RPers on Arcadia are horrible people  awesome, for real
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #1737 on: June 30, 2012, 07:00:40 AM

Btw is this the first time an active board has gotten the boot to the graveyard? Because while it was only a half dozen people SWToR was still alive when it got hauled off.

Most of the active chat was people trying to decide if it was dead or Sjofn writing about her companions. As an MMO with something novel to offer it was probably about time. Eve is still novel I guess, and has a fairly active f13 connected group.

I look forward to hearing stories about this MMO, love the setting, dubious about the mechanics and longevity.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #1738 on: June 30, 2012, 08:44:50 AM

I bought this last night and let it download while I slept. I think I'm already done. It's 50% mindless poorly animated babble from NPCs, 40% loading bars, and 10% repetitive combat. Am I missing something? Does this get better at some ponit?

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #1739 on: June 30, 2012, 09:00:32 AM

Except I can't seem to understand the logic behind the kill credit. I've been slamming people for 30 minutes straight and barely got a couple of kills, then died and went to respawn and got 6 kills in a row towards quest completion while I was galloping back towards the hot zone.
I'm not very clear on that either. It feels like kill credit takes into account the entire group you're in, who did most of the damage, or some combination of both.

Also, has anyone found any way to actually group with friends in Fusang instead of just being part of the big raid while actually seeing just strangers in your party frame?
When you open the PvP screen there's two options there -- join solo and join as group. I'd guess the latter will transfer entire (pre-made) group you're currently in to the battle zone, instead of throwing you into the automatcher.
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #1740 on: June 30, 2012, 09:02:11 AM

Most of the active chat was people trying to decide if it was dead or Sjofn writing about her companions. As an MMO with something novel to offer it was probably about time. Eve is still novel I guess, and has a fairly active f13 connected group.

I look forward to hearing stories about this MMO, love the setting, dubious about the mechanics and longevity.

Ya that would be why the eve group gets like 1 post a month. Eve's Bat Country guild was essentially told to go away a while ago and has their own board now.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 09:04:18 AM by Phred »
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1741 on: June 30, 2012, 09:04:05 AM

It's 50% mindless poorly animated babble from NPCs

While I disagree on the "mindless", if you perceive it like that then no I'm afraid the game is not gonna get any better for you.
About combat. Repetitive? In a MMORPG? I am shocked. Especially in PvE and in the first few hours of playing.

I agree on one thing though: the fast GCD makes the combat feel even more repetitive than usual cause you hear the same sound (your main builder skill) over and over and over every second, and that totally feels like you are doing just one thing with clockwork precision. Dehumanizing. But then again, that's my take about PvE combat in MMORPGs since forever.
Things get better when you get to mobs that have telegraphed attacks that force you to move, especially in tight spaces. And dungeons. I also like that you can't walk through mobs, so they can actually corner you.

Tmp, you can join as a group in Stonhenge and Eldorado with that feature, but not Fusang. That's why I was wondering if someone can rearrange groups once you are already in.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 09:06:30 AM by Falconeer »

tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #1742 on: June 30, 2012, 09:06:50 AM

Ah, no idea then. There's number of commands under the 'raid' drop-down once you're in, but i haven't played with them at all.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #1743 on: June 30, 2012, 09:39:43 AM

I finally got to an actual mission. The cutscenes aren't terrible, but at the beginning, it's all they are and it's not clear it was a tutorial.

I'm getting a strongfeeling this AO2 in the same way that SWG was UO2.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1744 on: June 30, 2012, 10:00:50 AM

Combat starts getting interesting, and serious (and hard) in Edgar's Scrapyard. One thing that is aboslutely not obvious is that this game is pretty hard past the first area (Kingsmouth), and due to the lack of enough handholding grouping might be necessary in order to overcome some of the hardest parts, even though they are meant to be soloed. Grouping or serious deck-tinkering.

Those are its biggest strenghts and weaknesses at the same time if you ask me.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1745 on: June 30, 2012, 04:44:50 PM

All I can say is that, early on, the combat feels clunky, the animations are pretty bad, and they don't really help you understand the system all that well.  I'm starting to understand the powers and the talismans, but they don't really jump right out and hand it to you.

The game seems to be all about atmosphere... which they do well.  Sadly, I'm not into the whole zombie apocalypse vibe thing. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Fargull
Contributor

Reply #1746 on: July 06, 2012, 08:34:29 AM

Odynsun "Templar" Grim

"I have come to believe that a great teacher is a great artist and that there are as few as there are any other great artists. Teaching might even be the greatest of the arts since the medium is the human mind and spirit." John Steinbeck
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #1747 on: July 06, 2012, 12:23:50 PM

Just bought this with the 25% GMG discount.  I've thrown $37.50 at worse, I'm sure.  This is one of the first MMOs I'm coming into without knowing much at all, so maybe this will be interesting.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1748 on: July 06, 2012, 01:16:01 PM

Combat starts getting interesting, and serious (and hard) in Edgar's Scrapyard. One thing that is aboslutely not obvious is that this game is pretty hard past the first area (Kingsmouth), and due to the lack of enough handholding grouping might be necessary in order to overcome some of the hardest parts, even though they are meant to be soloed. Grouping or serious deck-tinkering.

Those are its biggest strenghts and weaknesses at the same time if you ask me.
I'm just hitting that now, and luckily my build is fairly decent. I still have a lot of digging on building a proper deck and it's pretty early on (Sword 2/2, AR 0/1, Talismans all 2; gear a mix of 2 and 3). I can see I need to focus on penetration more if I stick with blade primary, and I guess work evade? Most of my talismans have been coming with block rather than evade, though.

Anyway, a few HoT passives + the AR HoT have been doing pretty good at keeping me up, I actually took out two yellow skulls at lunch. Those junkyard robots do shoot off a lot more AE, it was fun trying to avoid that and aggroing yet another one.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #1749 on: July 06, 2012, 01:53:10 PM

Just bought this with the 25% GMG discount.  I've thrown $37.50 at worse, I'm sure.  This is one of the first MMOs I'm coming into without knowing much at all, so maybe this will be interesting.

Why did you have to point out that sale?  I was doing so well with self control over impulse purchases.  I just have to keep reminding myself that my wife will murder me.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  The Secret World  |  Topic: Dark Days Are Coming - New Funcom Project  
Jump to: