Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:01:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Doktor Sleepless 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Doktor Sleepless  (Read 26723 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #70 on: July 31, 2007, 11:05:55 PM

In fact, arguably, I bought the books, I PAID to be there.

I'd say you pretty much deserve what you got if that was your attitude. 

"I bought your goddamned book!  Now make me laugh, monkeyboy!" 

Yeah.
That's just stupid. You know that's some afterlogic. No one goes into things with people they admire thinking like that.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #71 on: July 31, 2007, 11:28:53 PM

I can't speak from personal experience, since not all that many people admire me, but my understanding is that this is in fact fairly common.  His failure to perform to your expectations doesn't automatically make him an asshole.  Just saying.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #72 on: August 10, 2007, 10:27:39 PM

Just read Crecy.  It's maybe not the best told story around, as it's pretty much just one character takling throughout the whole book but... damn, some of the stuff in this book is funnier than shit which is odd given that this book is about one of the major turning points in how war is waged.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #73 on: September 07, 2007, 11:40:43 PM

2nd issue is out.  Enjoyed it.  Won't say more until I know that schild has read it.
schild
Administrator

Reply #74 on: September 08, 2007, 06:19:36 AM

Picking it up today :)
schild
Administrator

Reply #75 on: September 08, 2007, 12:04:27 PM

I need to not buy regular comics. I need to wait for TPB versions. Collections and such. That shit was too short and too unfulfilling.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #76 on: September 08, 2007, 12:52:56 PM

I need to not buy regular comics. I need to wait for TPB versions. Collections and such. That shit was too short and too unfulfilling.

It helps if you buy multiple comics.
schild
Administrator

Reply #77 on: September 08, 2007, 12:57:16 PM

It helps if you buy multiple comics.

I see this as a waste of money. I'm just gonna hold out for TPBs from now on.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #78 on: September 08, 2007, 05:06:30 PM

Welcome to my world.

In related news, I was in a drawing to win my weight in comics today, but I lost.
schild
Administrator

Reply #79 on: September 08, 2007, 05:07:16 PM

Welcome to my world.

In related news, I was in a drawing to win my weight in comics today, but I lost.

That would have been a lot of shitty comics.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #80 on: September 08, 2007, 05:34:05 PM

What makes you think I wouldn't have called you and asked for a list of everything good in the last ten years?
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #81 on: September 09, 2007, 01:48:45 AM

Welcome to my world.

Did the winner get to pick the comics or was it a few long boxes of comics from the '90s glut that would serve better use if it was shredded up and used as cheap insulation?
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #82 on: September 09, 2007, 10:37:23 AM

I'm pretty sure he got to pick.  The place is actually pretty cool, keeps getting voted best in Orlando.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #83 on: September 10, 2007, 12:30:06 AM

You are never going into space.
You will never own a jet pack.
Your car will never fly.
HIV will not be cured in your lifetime.
Cancer will not be cured in your lifetime.
The common cold will not be cured in your lifetime.
Don't these things bother you?

No.  Fuck off.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #84 on: September 10, 2007, 01:43:36 AM

You are never going into space.
You will never own a jet pack.
Your car will never fly.
HIV will not be cured in your lifetime.
Cancer will not be cured in your lifetime.
The common cold will not be cured in your lifetime.

No.  Fuck off.

You will never own a lightsaber.
You will never have a pair of gay droids.
UO will never be popular again.
There will never be another good Star Wars movie in your lifetime.
Wound-up Nutsacks will never be cured in your lifetime.
You will never be taken seriously outside of the movie thread due to your UO and Star Wars love in your lifetime.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #85 on: September 10, 2007, 09:13:36 AM

So, how is this comic so far?  Awesome, a let down, ok with potential to get really good.....?  I like Ellis overall, but that line WUA quoted actually made me pretty hesitant to bother reading it as well.  I hate it when he goes off on his whinny "the world sucks" tangents.  If its a whole comic devoted to that...

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #86 on: September 10, 2007, 09:42:33 AM

So far it's taken more of an "appreciate what you have" angle.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #87 on: September 11, 2007, 06:29:47 PM

You will never own a lightsaber.
You will never have a pair of gay droids.
UO will never be popular again.
There will never be another good Star Wars movie in your lifetime.
Wound-up Nutsacks will never be cured in your lifetime.
You will never be taken seriously outside of the movie thread due to your UO and Star Wars love in your lifetime.

No.  Fuck off.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #88 on: October 25, 2007, 04:40:04 PM

So, how is this comic so far?  Awesome, a let down, ok with potential to get really good.....?  I like Ellis overall, but that line WUA quoted actually made me pretty hesitant to bother reading it as well.  I hate it when he goes off on his whinny "the world sucks" tangents.  If its a whole comic devoted to that...

Hard to tell how the comic is so far.  I mean I enjoy it.  Issue #3 just came out yesterday and I think it was the best issue so far (by a good margin in fact, which says a lot), but it's hard to tell if anything that is being revealed is real or just a red herring.  That's part of the fun of it I suppose, but the problem with dragging any sort of mystery out for too long is that there's a high potential for disappointment once things do start getting revealed.  3 issues in and we're left with some fairly big questions about who the main character actually is, which can make it harder for readers to have any sort of emontional investment in what happens to him.

Until a few more issues come out an this book starts getting collected in TPB's, I'd suggest to anyone picking this up, that how much they enjoy it is going to be largely based on their faith in Warren Ellis to give a successful payoff to what he's building up.  After a bit of a slow burn though, the last few pages of this issue suggest that things will be picking up a bit (and damned if Ivan Rodriguez's art here doesn't remind me of the Tales of Terror books that Eclipse put out back in the day).
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #89 on: October 28, 2007, 08:41:55 PM

Until a few more issues come out an this book starts getting collected in TPB's, I'd suggest to anyone picking this up, that how much they enjoy it is going to be largely based on their faith in Warren Ellis to give a successful payoff to what he's building up. 

I have faith in Ellis to tell a good story.

I don't have any faith in him delivering that story on time after something new, bright and shiney attracts his attention. As such, I'm waiting for TPB.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #90 on: January 03, 2008, 09:36:12 PM

Until a few more issues come out an this book starts getting collected in TPB's, I'd suggest to anyone picking this up, that how much they enjoy it is going to be largely based on their faith in Warren Ellis to give a successful payoff to what he's building up. 

I have faith in Ellis to tell a good story.

I don't have any faith in him delivering that story on time after something new, bright and shiney attracts his attention. As such, I'm waiting for TPB.

Never a truer word spoken.  Doktor Sleepless #4 has yet to ship (issue #3 came out over two months ago), Thunderbolts has been running late, Fell only comes out once in a great while, Desolation Jones is pretty much put on hold, FreakAngels never materialized, etc.., but that isn't stopping Ellis from promoting his new upcoming books like Gravel or Anna Mercury.
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #91 on: January 04, 2008, 09:48:05 PM

So far, Black Summer is far superior to Sleepless.  I still haven't gotten into any of the Sleepless characters or really figured out what the arc is going to be.  I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for every issue of Black Summer, though.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
schild
Administrator

Reply #92 on: January 05, 2008, 02:18:19 AM

I like the characters in Black Summer more.

I like the writing in Sleepless MUCH more.

Sigh. I can't win. I really just wanted Freak Angels too.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #93 on: January 09, 2008, 01:41:08 PM

Issue #4 of Sleepless did actually manage to come out last week by the by.  I don't really have much to say about it at the moment, as it's one of those issues where a lot happens, but we haven't really been given the... context I suppose would be the best way to put it... to really understand the significance of most of it.

I will comment on Thunderbolts #118, which to me was a great fucking book.  Sure Ellis flushed just about everything I loved about the Thunderbolts down the toilet when he took over with issue #110.  Most of the characters from the previous run had pretty much run their course though, so I didn't mind too much.  I mean you can only have so many issues of the same characters with the same self-doubts over whether or not they can make it as super-heroes, and when the book restarted as New Thunderbolts, things never really clicked the way they did in Vol. 1 (I'd love for Nicieza to do a Zemo and Fixer book though).

Since Ellis has taken over, he's doing his best to destroy the team.  Gone are mainstays like Atlas and Mach IV, and in their place are villains like Venom (the symbiote is currently attached to the guy who used to be the Scorpion), and Bullseye.  The Green Goblin leads the team (with the least trustworthy longtime Thunderbolt Moonstone as the field leader).  To top it off, the team has also been saddled with one of the crappiest things to come out of Civil War, with Penance (formerly Speedball) on the team. 

Their mission statement has been to track down unregistered Superheroes and arrest them, but mostly that's just allowed them to get their asses handed to them repeatedly by z-listers and has been pushing the team down the fast track to implosion.  I recap all this because Caged Angels, Ellis' second arc on the book, is bringing that implosion on quicker than I'm sure most people were expecting (hastened along in the book by 4 telepaths who allowed themselves to be captured in order do just that).  While Dr. Samson explains to Penance how stupid Marvel's transformation of his character has been, Norman Osborne is having a breakdown and reverting to his Goblin persona, Swordsman has bribed a bunch of the guards at the facility and is about to go on the attack, Bullseye is still presumably completely paralyzed after the events of the last arc, and Venom... well, I'll just say that this issue right here is about the first time I ever thought of Venom as an actual scary character (that "I want to eat your brains" shit he used to spew always struck me as more cartoonish).

The whole thing is a gloriously intentional trainwreck, with Songbird and Radioactive Man (I have trouble even typing that name due to its use in the Simpsons btw) continuing to be the only characters available to actually root for.  At this point Songbird has to be wishing that she joined the Avengers when she had the chance (although with Bendis still writing them, maybe not).  Good stuff, although like with most of Ellis' books, it is hurt by delays.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Doktor Sleepless  
Jump to: