Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:15:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Doktor Sleepless 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Doktor Sleepless  (Read 26494 times)
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #35 on: June 22, 2007, 08:04:24 AM

Black Summer's first issue was quite good.  I recommend checking it out.

I assume you're talking about the #0 issue (as #1 comes out in August I believe).

Yeah.  I decided to say first because "zeroeth" is a weird word.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #36 on: June 23, 2007, 01:15:16 AM

Black Summer's first issue was quite good.  I recommend checking it out.

I assume you're talking about the #0 issue (as #1 comes out in August I believe).

Yeah.  I decided to say first because "zeroeth" is a weird word.

The #0 issue is just one of those awkward concepts that miraculously survived the 90's.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #37 on: July 06, 2007, 02:39:54 PM

Comic shops should be taking advance orders for September now.  In others words, Issue #3 is now available for order, as is another T-Shirt.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #38 on: July 18, 2007, 10:00:06 AM

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #39 on: July 23, 2007, 03:18:48 PM

According to LITG, this will be announced at Ellis' comic-con panel on Saturday night.

Also, Doktor Sleepless #1 and Black Summer #1 should be in stores on Wednesday.  Ellis' novel Crooked Little Vein is due for release tomorrow I believe.

Edit:  Ellis' 48 page graphic novel Crecy is also being relesed on Wednesday:

An original graphic novel from Warren Ellis and his Apparat line of books! A highly trained but under equipped army invades another country due to that country's perceived threat to home security. The army conducts shock-and-awe raids designed to terrify the populace. This army is soon driven to ground, and vastly outnumbered. The English army has to stand and fight, in Crecy, France. On 26 August 1346, modern warfare changed forever. This is the story of England's greatest battle. Featuring the stunningly detailed art of Raulo Caceres.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 03:33:59 PM by Velorath »
schild
Administrator

Reply #40 on: July 24, 2007, 07:00:02 AM

I want Freak Angels pretty fiercely. Simply based on the logo.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #41 on: July 28, 2007, 02:14:17 AM

Read Doktor Sleepless as well as Black Summer #1.  Haven't discussed Doktor Sleepless here in particular because it's just one of those books where you're going to have a lot of questions about what's going on for at least the first few issues.  I imagine that I won't have much to say on the series until 3 or 4 issues in.  I'm liking it, but the plot and the characters haven't entirely taken shape yet.  At least not to an extent where I can carry on any sort of discussion of it.

In fact, the biggest reason I'm posting this in this thread is because it seemed like the best thread to post the announcement that Ellis will be taking over on Astonishing X-men after Whedon leaves.
schild
Administrator

Reply #42 on: July 28, 2007, 04:07:15 AM

Still don't want to read x-men. Regular superheroes are just goddamn boring.

I liked the end of Doktor Sleepless. Also, my copy of his new book came in. Gonna start that tonight.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #43 on: July 28, 2007, 01:30:31 PM

Ellis on Astonishing? Could be good, but if they don't get the book out more regularly, it's still going to suffer from the same problem. Great stories that take too long to get anywhere and feel completely out of place from the rest of the universe.

schild
Administrator

Reply #44 on: July 28, 2007, 07:34:07 PM

Ellis is working on like 5 books right now.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #45 on: July 29, 2007, 02:05:13 AM

Ellis is working on like 5 books right now.

That's an understatement actually.

Doktor Sleepless
Fell (infrequently released)
Thunderbolts
Black Summer (limited)
Newuniversal
Freak Angels (presumably)
Astonishing X-men
Desolation Jones (also infrequent)

Sometimes (like with Planetary) Ellis just doesn't seem to worry much about keeping a monthly schedule.  Fell and Desolation Jones both seem to be like that.  They just come out whenever they come out.  I think Doktor Sleepless is supposed to be monthly but will also have gaps between some of the story arcs.
schild
Administrator

Reply #46 on: July 29, 2007, 04:32:30 AM

Assuming Crooked Little Vein doesn't end badly, this will be one of the best books I've read in the last few years. It's really edited down to pure Columbian coke. It's incredible. It's everything writers wish they could write with all the fat taken out they wish they could take out.
schild
Administrator

Reply #47 on: July 29, 2007, 06:08:56 AM

Finished the book. There were three GLARING typos.

Other than that, fantastic in every way.

Edit: I'd also like to point out something I noticed. It's very stream of thought. It's meant to be read in one sitting, there's no doubt. Ellis probably could have written it in one sitting if he wasn't the kind of guy I'd expect to take epic shits and eat a lot of bad food and drink a lot of bad drinks (he is, afterall, British). There's a good deal of fashionista-type descriptions in the books, and I assume they are there for one of two reasons - he is friends with Xeni Jardin, who I find to be reprehensible and one of the more annoying famous people to arise out of the blogosphere, fully armored - or, because he's just into that shit. I'd like to think it's the first reason, but it's mostly the second reason. That whole group's culture I suppose. It's an astoundingly good book though and easily recommended to people as it makes for solid summer reading. It would have made a better comic. Well. A better comic than Fell at least.

I will probably be getting this book signed instead of Doktor Sleepless #1, since I wasn't able to acquire a copy of the No Warning cover and his signing is on Monday. I'll also be getting a copy of Black Summer signed. I'll probably have at least one friend with me to have some other shit signed, maybe. Autographs simply don't have the appeal they used to have with me, but Ellis turned me back onto comics, so I suppose it's something that must be done.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 06:19:21 AM by schild »
schild
Administrator

Reply #48 on: July 30, 2007, 08:26:48 PM

Well.

Man.

I met Warren Ellis tonight.

He's kinda a dick.

A lot of the magic of his books goes away if you try talking to the guy. I mean, I can understand hating book signings, but it's part of the motherfucking job.

Man, I'm just angry.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #49 on: July 30, 2007, 08:32:42 PM

Well.

Man.

He's kinda a dick.

A lot of the magic of his books goes away if you try talking to the guy. I mean, I can understand hating book signings, but it's part of the motherfucking job.

Man, I'm just angry.

Well he did have to drive all the way out to Arizona right after Comic-Con.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #50 on: July 30, 2007, 09:13:35 PM

Well.

Man.

He's kinda a dick.

You've read his writing. What did you expect? I'd be amazed if he was anything less than a complete douchebag, no matter what the situation.

schild
Administrator

Reply #51 on: July 31, 2007, 07:16:08 AM

Had he been a complete douchebag and been funny, I'd have fully expected it. He was nothing but a douchebag. At an event that was, I *think* supposed to make people like him more.
Llava
Contributor

Reply #52 on: July 31, 2007, 09:13:37 AM

What?

He was the nicest guy in the world to me.

Showed up for the signing half an hour early, immediately went down the line saying "Hello children!" and shaking hands, apologized for the storm, seemed like he couldn't be happier to be there.

In fact, when I was talking to the artist for Doktor Sleepless (and he was sketching a face on the cover of my comic) Warren was saying "Ignore him, come over here and talk to me."

Something must've happened between when I was there and when you got there that put him in a bad mood or something.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
schild
Administrator

Reply #53 on: July 31, 2007, 09:40:56 AM

I showed up halfway through the signing. He was a grumpy sack of ass.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #54 on: July 31, 2007, 11:03:02 AM

After half a day (or however long) of talking to the unwashed masses with no breaks, and in a dry climate to boot (nothing like dry air to make prolonged periods of talking the most painful thing on earth), I'd be a grumpy sack of ass too.  Just speculating here, but I've done things along those lines (sitting at a table while an endless stream of people file past and ask me silly questions), and I always feel like choking a motherfucker by the end of it.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 11:04:47 AM by Samwise »

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #55 on: July 31, 2007, 12:07:26 PM

Maybe you don't get it.

He was paid to be nice.

Motherfucker needs to do his job.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #56 on: July 31, 2007, 01:32:49 PM

No, he's paid to write. Writers have no more obligation to be nice, even at signings, than anyone else at their job. It's not like he's a CSR, who is supposed to coddle the unwashed masses. He's a guy who scribbles words on paper. Showing up at book signings is a consequence of marketing, not an opportunity to be nice.

Be thankful. Hemingway probably would have shot you in the leg.

schild
Administrator

Reply #57 on: July 31, 2007, 01:35:49 PM

See. You've nailed it without even getting it.

Hemingway would have shot me, yes, I'm ok with that.

I would have been ok with Ellis being a big nasty loudmath bastard. If he'd called me a prick and spit in my book, I'd have been happy.

Instead he was just a quiet jerk.

Showing up at book signings is a consequence of marketing, not an opportunity to be nice.

You're wrong, it is part of the job. Don't be a tard.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #58 on: July 31, 2007, 01:42:11 PM

It's a part of the job you have to do as a writer, it's not a part you have to enjoy or be nice at. I went to one book signing, for Anne Rice in my stupider days (before I finished Queen of the Damned). She was pretty uninspiring, completely unengaged with what I was doing. And I realized, she'd just worked her way through the long ass line of people in front of me, none of whom she knew, all hoping to have some sort of connection with her. And in the end, most of us were there to get her to sign a book so the value of the book would go up through some magic energy transfer contained in her signature.

I've never gotten an autograph since. I'm not against autographs, per se, but it's just silly. There's likely 1, maybe 2 people at any signing you'll ever have enough of a connection with to remember 10 years later when you're on the shitter. Everyone else is just faces of people who like the sort of thing you write.

And when you write the way Ellis does, with the subject matter he writes about, expecting him to be nice is a stretch. Or to be a raging douchebag, because in the end, if you aren't a reporter doing a story, a hot chick with bodacious jublees, or the Comic Book Guy giving him shit about how he killed off Spider Jerusalem, he really isn't ever going to remember you even to raise his blood pressure.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #59 on: July 31, 2007, 02:04:37 PM

The guy is a human being.  Just take a look at his website.  In the last week and a half or so the guy has been stuck in traffic for 10 hours to get to an event that got canceled, flew out to the US to spend 5 days at Comic-Con (which involved multiple signings, press events, and a 2 hour Q&A among other things), had to ride all the way out to Arizona for a signing, and now is heading back to LAX.  You just happened to catch the guy halfway through the last event of a couple weeks of conventions and signings.
schild
Administrator

Reply #60 on: July 31, 2007, 04:20:18 PM

I don't care if he got raped by 6 gorillas and a flight attendant named Dykepants Woolbreath.

Me thinking he's a dick is what happens if he gives up halfway through the event.

He seems to do this shit like ONCE A YEAR. In other words, no excuse.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #61 on: July 31, 2007, 04:41:13 PM

So specifics on how he came across as a dick would be helpful.  Otherwise you're just coming across like you're upset because he was too tired to keep everyone entertained while he was signing their shit.
schild
Administrator

Reply #62 on: July 31, 2007, 04:44:26 PM

I put my three things down on the table. Handed him Crooked Little Vein and said, "I finished it just the other night." to which he immediately responded "I don't like bags" - I hadn't gotten to the comics, so I hadn't taken them out of the bags. So then, I was like "Oh, ok, cool." Took them out of the bags. And then I was like "So, it was pretty damn good" to which he said "Ok."

That's the entirety of the conversation we had short of him asking my name when he signed Crooked Little Vein, which was after all of that. He didn't even look up the whole time.

His tone was that of someone who just didn't want to be there and wanted you to know that, rather than someone who was doing their ONE non-comicon book signing.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #63 on: July 31, 2007, 06:30:56 PM

Maybe it was just your wonderfull personality that makes everybody on the internet love you so much.

smiley

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
schild
Administrator

Reply #64 on: July 31, 2007, 06:31:49 PM

Maybe it was just your wonderfull personality that makes everybody on the internet love you so much.

smiley

I'm nice to people I have an interest in being around. Also, I wasn't being paid to be there. I didn't have to buy nice. In fact, arguably, I bought the books, I PAID to be there. Next time that fucker is just getting a CD full of scans and he can sign the top of the CD.
Llava
Contributor

Reply #65 on: July 31, 2007, 07:47:42 PM

Hm, I know they checked my comics to see if they were bagged before I got up there.  Maybe he's racist towards bags?

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #66 on: July 31, 2007, 10:03:46 PM

From what I've heard The Authority is generally considered to be better after Ellis left.

You can't believe everything you read on Millar's site.

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #67 on: July 31, 2007, 10:04:49 PM

I showed up halfway through the signing. He was a grumpy sack of ass.

You showed up late. He noticed. He got passive aggressive on your ass for being tardy.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #68 on: July 31, 2007, 10:13:08 PM

News from the Q&A session at Comic-Con:

"I'm doing a long-form comic for the Web starting this Autumn." It's called FreakAngels and Avatar will be releasing it totally free online. Ellis said, "I've written two hundred pages and I still have no idea what it's about ... it's retro-punk, it's near-future steampunk" and involves characters who are "living in a post-flood London that they might possibly have had something to do with." Paul Duffield is the artist for the title, and there will be five new pages posted each week, totally free to readers. Why not hit freakangels.com now and sign up for a subscription?

The second exclusive Comic-Con announcement from Avatar was that his Ignition City will be the publisher's second ongoing monthly series penned by the author. No further details were available, save for the fact that it will "probably" launch early next year. If you're wondering what the first ongoing series Ellis is writing for Avatar, get thee to a comics shop, for Doktor Sleepless #1 was released this very week.

In response to a question regarding Marvel's Comic-Con announcement that Ellis will be taking over the reins on Astonishing X-Men after Joss Whedon wraps up his run, Ellis said, "they've announced this very early. My first issue isn't out until this time next year. I'm still waiting on notes from the office before I can start writing."

It wasn't all comics talk though, as Ellis also provided some exclusive information on Dead Channel, the tv series he's been developing of an unnamed American network. The basis premise of the show involves a tv network executive who's got SETI (Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) software installed on his home computer. One night, it turns out he's the guy who receives communication from aliens. He receives a transmission of an .avi file that amounts to alien tv programming. Instead of calling a government agency or the folks at SETI, he calls the network lawyers who, by morning, have found a loophole in the SETI user agreement and the executive decides to air it as a reality tv show. I don't know about you, but that sounds like a winner to me ... but then, anything that (presumably) skewers reality tv programming and is written by Warren Ellis is OK in my book. We'll need patience and luck to see the show, however, since Ellis is currently writing the bible (an detailed outline of the plot for the first six episodes) for the show. If the network likes that, he says, "we live in hope" that they'll shoot the (already written) pilot next year.

A couple of quick notes on existing projects: Ellis mentioned that the script for Planetary #27 was finished and sent on to artist John Cassaday two months ago. Ellis says "I think he's broken ground on it." In response to a question about my personal favorite of his current titles, Ellis said that "when Desolation Jones returns, it will be monthly." Regarding Jack Cross, Ellis had this to say, beginning by musing, "how can I say this politely?" and going on to state that "I'm not doing any more issues of Jack Cross with DC." When the curious fan asked why that was, Ellis dispensed with politeness, answering, "cause they fucked it up, that's why."
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #69 on: July 31, 2007, 10:59:07 PM

In fact, arguably, I bought the books, I PAID to be there.

I'd say you pretty much deserve what you got if that was your attitude. 

"I bought your goddamned book!  Now make me laugh, monkeyboy!" 

Yeah.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Doktor Sleepless  
Jump to: