Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:06:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: EvE Devs play with BoB. Investigation in progress....New Scandal page 9! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: EvE Devs play with BoB. Investigation in progress....New Scandal page 9!  (Read 441150 times)
SansWetware
Terracotta Army

Reply #630 on: June 02, 2007, 12:16:41 AM

See, now that I know that The Mittani wrote it, I know I can't trust a damned thing about it.  Including that The Mittani wrote it.  I gave up trying to gather intel about the Goons a long time ago, there's no better counter-intel method than being totally bugfuck insane.  And yeah, I know that you guys will take that as a compliment (although you might act like you don't, just to fuck with me now that I said that).

--Dave

He's just some lawyer from the D.C. area.  Maybe I mentioned before - LOTS of lawyers in GoonFleet.  Seriously - like over fifty.

The GF forums have every op ever run in big bold letters with after-op reports in their own forums.  Intel is pitifully easy to gather.

I guess if there is some hidden strength it's that most people expect a bunch of griefers who call each other fags and argue with one another endlessly about every stupid detail of every stupid thing to be ...stupid.  It's normally not the case.  Their FC's rock and leadership is generally a step ahead.  They have an uncanny knack for cocking things up too, though.  Normally through over-reacting to assumed slights.

gimpyone
Terracotta Army

Reply #631 on: June 02, 2007, 12:34:18 AM

By the way Dave, those of us who like hearing two sides of an argument appreciate you going to the gallows every time you post here.
Carry on.
JoeTF
Terracotta Army

Reply #632 on: June 02, 2007, 06:48:33 AM

IA reply to MSN and missing petition gate(s):
http://www.eve-search.com/index.dxd?thread=530053#6944846
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #633 on: June 02, 2007, 07:02:03 AM

There are specific rules in place forbidding players from bragging about GM or developer connections, especially implying that you can get people banned or fired, or that your contacts have put you in a position where you are above the law in EVE. If someone says something to that effect to you ingame, please petition it using the æHarassmentÆ category and we will deal with it as harshly as our policies allow. If anyone has evidence of such interaction being used improperly, to further anyoneÆs cause ingame, I urge them to contact us through the internalaffairs@ccpgames.com email address. We will investigate all such claims to the best of our abilities.
Good job nothing like that has ever happened in EVE!!!

rolleyes

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
JoeTF
Terracotta Army

Reply #634 on: June 02, 2007, 07:21:18 AM

You could say he royally trolled entire GS:P
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #635 on: June 02, 2007, 08:02:10 AM

No, my problem is that the Goons are so fond of misdirection, dramabombs, and general trolling that I just don't have enough *interest* to pick through it all and figure out who is actually in charge over there right now.  If anyone can really be said to be.  Whoever the actual CEO is, from what I heard in the "State of the Goonion", he falls into the third camp.

--Dave

And Dave falls into the sarchasm.  ;)

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #636 on: June 02, 2007, 11:57:47 AM

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #637 on: June 02, 2007, 01:37:38 PM

My favorite quote.

Clearly he was removed from the game as a character due to the outcome of the thorough CCP internal affairs investigation that showed no wrong doing.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #638 on: June 02, 2007, 02:11:49 PM

That got my goodnight giggle.

But petitioning is so sloooowwwww, isn't there some faster way to contact the devs?

Was also a gem.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
neep
Terracotta Army

Reply #639 on: June 03, 2007, 07:54:40 AM

Most of the things at play here seem to be direct consequences from the fact its an unsharded mmo.

Mix a single group of players, being on the forefront of new developments since the start, hence having better dev contacts than anybody else, (show me a game where this doesn't happen/hasn't happened and I'll buy you a beer) and a accumulative resentment towards that group of players for 'whatever good reason' and the fact that, those who feel slighted, will most likely never get the upper hand in the game and you'll have yourself the perfect recipe for a nuclear  MMO drama coctail.
And more importantly, no real way to get out of the mess.

In heavily sharded games like WoW there is a constant migration between realms, both by people who want to join their friends and, more importantly, people who are distinctively unhappy and want to look for a better future elsewhere.
Call it 'migration of the unhappy' if you will.
This facilitating of the 'migration of the unhappy' is brilliant. That is why nobody ever thought anything of it until it happened anyway.
You give people an immense breath of freedom if you allow them to go somewhere else (while retaining all they have) and start again. Free.
Because MMO's are about fantasy, and in selling fantasy its important to give people a chance to start anew and leave their history behind, unsharded mmo's fail in this, not because of their mechanics but because thats how people are.
If I hate Mike, and I know where Mike hangs out, i'll try to kill him with my new character too. Of course I will, its how we are.
Eve's main problem is not about its hardware, its about how much human frustration one unsharded realm can hold.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #640 on: June 03, 2007, 10:12:19 AM

That doesn't account for most.  'Most' of it has occurred as a direct result of CCP incompetance and mishandling of PR and CS.

Terracotta Army

Reply #641 on: June 04, 2007, 04:31:06 AM

So when do we all spam the devs asking for their MSN contact info?

The more CCP posts the more I'm moving from the 'CCP are cheaters' to the 'CCP really are just utterly fucking stupid' camp
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #642 on: June 04, 2007, 05:34:05 AM

How sad, this thread has almost caught up to the War thread in post #'s.  I suppose thats a bad sign.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #643 on: June 06, 2007, 12:37:25 PM

heh I just remembered that CCP stands for Crowd Control Productions. The Irony.

As a matter of fact I swallowed one of these about two hours ago and the explanation is that it is, in fact, my hand.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #644 on: June 06, 2007, 12:58:27 PM

It's likely that CCP stands for something else in Icelandic and they just picked some words to match the acronym, CC and P leading to crowd control and productions respectively.
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #645 on: June 07, 2007, 01:57:25 AM

It increasingly looks like Goonfleet may have managed to wring some concessions from CCP after all.  Obviously, they've been publicly defensive of their devs' right to rank highly in BoB, to play BF1942 with them and so on, but there are some cracks.  The NY Times covered the GF protest, and reports that CCP are going to set up an elected, player-oversight committee.  The dynamics of what that can do will be important, particularly given the numbers involved.  Will it be one-account-one-vote, I wonder, working on a PR-list system?  Will they have any powers beyond being flown to Iceland and getting a powerpoint presentation and a nice tour of the offices?

The Admiral Chandramandrawandra renaming at least points to the fact that he was seen as irretrievably tainted.  If only CCP would swallow their pride and spin what they are doing as confession-and reparation instead of trying to hush them up then they might actually salvage some goodwill.

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #646 on: June 07, 2007, 02:50:51 AM

It increasingly looks like Goonfleet may have managed to wring some concessions from CCP after all.  Obviously, they've been publicly defensive of their devs' right to rank highly in BoB, to play BF1942 with them and so on, but there are some cracks.  The NY Times covered the GF protest, and reports that CCP are going to set up an elected, player-oversight committee.  The dynamics of what that can do will be important, particularly given the numbers involved.  Will it be one-account-one-vote, I wonder, working on a PR-list system?  Will they have any powers beyond being flown to Iceland and getting a powerpoint presentation and a nice tour of the offices?

The Admiral Chandramandrawandra renaming at least points to the fact that he was seen as irretrievably tainted.  If only CCP would swallow their pride and spin what they are doing as confession-and reparation instead of trying to hush them up then they might actually salvage some goodwill.

So... the people accused of cheating are going to prove they aren't cheating by... scheduling times when players will come out there and make sure they aren't cheating?
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #647 on: June 07, 2007, 02:58:11 AM

So... the people accused of cheating are going to prove they aren't cheating by... scheduling times when players will come out there and make sure they aren't cheating?

You got it.  Iliked this SA response:

"Giving a bunch of Comic Book Guys an all blowjobs paid tour of Iceland and then getting them to publicly state that you're awesome is not my idea of transparency."

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
JoeTF
Terracotta Army

Reply #648 on: June 07, 2007, 02:59:03 AM

It's going to be nine from BoB&pets anyway, so don't worry:P
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #649 on: June 07, 2007, 03:04:00 AM

I think it's a good thing.  The initial response of blaming it all on goonfleet was a mistake, there's no way that an alliance of 4000 people who pay to play your game created a situation to harm the game (excluding the comedy losing the war option).

They had to address the situation somehow and I'd imagine the recent plans to spend $7 million on marketing and releasing a cheap box set helped.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=25506

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=25491

Low priced disc set for global roll-out

CCP has confirmed to GamesIndustry.biz that EVE Online will be released on DVD in the US, UK, Russia, Japan and other countries in the next two months.

Speaking in an interview at the company's offices in Reykjavik marketing director Magnus Bergsson said, "It's not going to be the typical retail box. We will do a counter-top, slim-case DVD. It's going to be a 14-day trial with a little booklet and you're going to be able to buy is for USD 3.99 or USD 2.99, or something like that.

"We just got the final codes from the manufacturer to make this, but it takes time. So let's say in two months time it'll be in full distribution," he added.

CCP said that the recent merger with US-based White Wolf will allow them to release a physical version of EVE - currently available as a free download and played by more than 200,000 users.

"This is being done in cooperation with White Wolf as they have such a great experience with physical distribution," said Bergsson.

"You need to have a warehouse, you need to have people taking orders and everything else. We've never really had that, and now we do, and we are getting into physical distribution, not only in the US, but also in Eastern Europe, where people often have to pay from downloads from abroad... Those people are concerned about downloads, even though the client is only 640MB."

Icelandic firm in talks with IBM and Microsoft

CCP's Magnus Bergsson has revealed that the company has set aside a large marketing budget for 2007 and is in talks with IBM and Microsoft about ways to handle the influx of new EVE Online players.

"This year we're spending about USD 7 million in marketing," Bergsson told GamesIndustry.biz.

"The hardcore gamers know about EVE... So we're expanding. We're still going to be in the hardcore gaming media, but we're adding more general gaming and even portals like Yahoo!.

"We need to expand, because if we're going to go beyond 300,000 subscribers, we can't just do that with hardcore gamers."

The significant marketing push, the first in the game's history, coupled with the growing popularity of EVE Online, has prompted CCP to enter into a round of research with IBM and Microsoft as the game's user-base soars past 200,000. EVE is played on a single server, as opposed to the shard model employed by other MMO operators such as Blizzard and NCsoft.

"Personally, I don't worry about the issue of performance," said Bergsson. “[New users] will just mean more money for us to invest in new hardware. There are new CPUs coming out, and we just have to swap out the old and move in with new.

"IBM has been really good at working with us and getting us the latest hardware. It's been great working with them," he added.

CCP is currently pushing for more than 300,000 EVE subscribers, a goal that will take the game's user-base higher than the population of Iceland. Bergsson said his personal goal was to top the figure before the end of the year.

Visit GamesIndustry.biz later this week to read the full interview

Ratadm
Terracotta Army

Reply #650 on: June 07, 2007, 03:18:55 AM

"Personally, I don't worry about the issue of performance," said Bergsson. “[New users] will just mean more money for us to invest in new hardware. There are new CPUs coming out, and we just have to swap out the old and move in with new.
  Hah.  Don't worry guys our servers can't really handle as many people as we have right now but even though information we need to send will go up geometrically and our income gain will be linear it'll work out.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #651 on: June 07, 2007, 03:41:49 AM

Yeah, I'm swaying away from 'corrupt' and back toward 'inept, verging on moronic' in my opinion of CCP.

Although it will be hilarious when the oversight committee turns out to be five BoB/minions and four random Empire players that have never gone below 0.5 sec.

JoeTF
Terracotta Army

Reply #652 on: June 07, 2007, 04:11:21 AM

3 out of which will turn out to be bob empire alts. evil
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #653 on: June 07, 2007, 06:02:23 AM

CCP should hire an ombudsman.  Seriously.

Over and out.
Dravalen
Terracotta Army

Reply #654 on: June 07, 2007, 07:48:48 AM

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #655 on: June 07, 2007, 08:00:40 AM

What a bunch of wank.

Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #656 on: June 07, 2007, 08:41:15 AM

An article like that is only going to help the game.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #657 on: June 07, 2007, 08:46:39 AM

Dravalen
Terracotta Army

Reply #658 on: June 07, 2007, 09:04:56 AM

Sorry, didn't see any mention when I scanned the thread so I thought I'd post a link to the actual article.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
Shavnir
Terracotta Army

Reply #659 on: June 07, 2007, 11:13:10 AM

I wonder if they'll rig the vote.  Or if they even need to.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #660 on: June 07, 2007, 11:43:53 AM

So these people are, what, the elected players that get to have dev contacts and devs on call?  I suppose it's better than the devs picking whom they favor.  Or at least, it'll just shut the playerbase up, cause "hey, YOU guys elected them, it's not our fault!".
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #661 on: June 07, 2007, 12:01:29 PM

I'm voting for goonswarm.

'Corse I am open to bribes. Most of EVE is open to bribes. It's how gameplay often works.

Edit: Actually, this makes sense for political parties to form. Vote for the 9 Men on the goonswarm/Bob/IAC/Outbreak ticket, and YOUR CHARACTER will get 10 million ISK. Proabably need a complicated Senate form (first past the post? Proportional representation? Can Alts vote?).

« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 12:04:55 PM by Comstar »

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #662 on: June 07, 2007, 12:23:21 PM

I'd vote for The Mittani just so I could see MahrinSkel's head explode.  :-D

Over and out.
LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #663 on: June 08, 2007, 03:35:57 AM

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #664 on: June 08, 2007, 06:48:44 AM

That's a good point - could CCP employees be elected to this 'oversight council' on their play accounts?

10 Print "Everything is fine here"
20 Goto 10

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 24 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: EvE Devs play with BoB. Investigation in progress....New Scandal page 9!  
Jump to: