Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:18:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Why I don't enjoy this game. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why I don't enjoy this game.  (Read 70880 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #175 on: October 04, 2007, 08:31:04 AM

My name is becoming associated with unsavory acts.  I do not farm per se, I just help good items reach the hands of those who need them the most..for the right price of course.
No, you do not farm. You are just very good at taking named heroic content that up until recently I've been unable to do. It was meant in a way of respect, not derision, though I can see in hindsight it was bad form.

However, your nickname is now Jose Farmer. Sorry bout that :P

Also, I'm pushing Wyll to 49 for invis totems, so I should be able to crank out some cedar beating sticks if you need them (also...use the SoW and other totems in the guild bank!). I made a cedar beater (I just like saying that, it's a cudgel) for Vith, imbued and adorned...but it looks so silly (little tier'dal, giant shield and bat). Wish I could get enough feyiron to bother bringing up my weaponcrafter, still not worth it imo. Also, don't forget he can make ranged ammo. I've been providing some feyiron arrows to the guild bank (again, take 'em if you need 'em!), but for t5 ammo I am asking for at least the fulginate ingredient.

Also pushing Phiz to 38 for t4 jewelry. Jewelcrafting is odd. More fails than woodcrafting (which is very fast), but levels faster because there are far more pristine combines per level. 37 is a grind because there's only 5 or 6 pristines, I'm rebuilding my rest exp right now but should be able to hit 38 (and combat class jewelry) by the weekend sometime. I'm basically holding off on adventuring for a bit while I bring my crafting legion up to snuff, I'd ideally like to get Phiz up to 48 for t5 jewelry.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 08:39:43 AM by Sky »
Chorulle
Terracotta Army

Reply #176 on: October 04, 2007, 08:22:32 PM

My name is becoming associated with unsavory acts.  I do not farm per se, I just help good items reach the hands of those who need them the most..for the right price of course.
No, you do not farm. You are just very good at taking named heroic content that up until recently I've been unable to do. It was meant in a way of respect, not derision, though I can see in hindsight it was bad form.

However, your nickname is now Jose Farmer. Sorry bout that :P

Also, I'm pushing Wyll to 49 for invis totems, so I should be able to crank out some cedar beating sticks if you need them (also...use the SoW and other totems in the guild bank!). I made a cedar beater (I just like saying that, it's a cudgel) for Vith, imbued and adorned...but it looks so silly (little tier'dal, giant shield and bat). Wish I could get enough feyiron to bother bringing up my weaponcrafter, still not worth it imo. Also, don't forget he can make ranged ammo. I've been providing some feyiron arrows to the guild bank (again, take 'em if you need 'em!), but for t5 ammo I am asking for at least the fulginate ingredient.

Also pushing Phiz to 38 for t4 jewelry. Jewelcrafting is odd. More fails than woodcrafting (which is very fast), but levels faster because there are far more pristine combines per level. 37 is a grind because there's only 5 or 6 pristines, I'm rebuilding my rest exp right now but should be able to hit 38 (and combat class jewelry) by the weekend sometime. I'm basically holding off on adventuring for a bit while I bring my crafting legion up to snuff, I'd ideally like to get Phiz up to 48 for t5 jewelry.

I should have ended that in a smiley or something.  I have no problem admitting I am a slut for exquisite and ornate chests in this game, and AA experience, so I find myself scouring dungeons looking for named to kill.  It will be a bit still before I need new weapons (34 now so I have a ways to go before I'll need anything else).  I am looking forward to 37 or 38 tho where I have decided that I want to try and reach the forge in DFC solo (with SoW and Invis totems of course).  I have a plan on how to do it, just have to see if it will actually work or not  smiley

"Saying that nobody needs more then web apps is like saying noone needs a fridge because we can all drive to T.G.I. goddamn Friday's for chicken wings"

- Walt Mosspuppet (Mike Arrington is wrong: Chrome OS won't matter)
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #177 on: October 05, 2007, 07:28:54 AM

You mentioned something about being able to use the forge without aggroing the guy in the room? I don't know if there's a respawn in DFC, but he didn't respawn in the time it took me to forge the full DFC set. If that's the case, you can feign in no problem.

If you have to take him, I could help if I'm on. Might be rough, but the two of us could probably handle it (38^^^ iirc). The tough part would be the two guys guarding the door, if we aggroed them, nasty things would happen.

The DFC stuff is pretty nice, I'm wondering whether to bother making myself ebon armor. I probably will because 52 is a looooong way off and I want the best stats possible until I get there...

Phiz hit 38 last night, so T4 melee jewelry is possible! I was really hurting in the jewelry department. Also decided I want to push my provisioner up to make lvl 50 food, I think he's 38 right now. The solo game is so much better with a legion of craftsupport, but it's time intensive.
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #178 on: October 05, 2007, 12:16:01 PM

Sky: What server are you on? I'm thinking of resubbing and I want someone to chat with while I solo.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #179 on: October 05, 2007, 02:07:46 PM

There are about six of us in Bat Country on Oasis server.  There's also a channel named F13 although I've never heard anyone say anything on it. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #180 on: October 05, 2007, 02:43:03 PM

I said stuff on it once.

Once.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #181 on: October 05, 2007, 04:32:55 PM

Oooo. Unless I was dropped, my original Bat Country character may still be in the guild. Just waiting for the damn client to download.

"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #182 on: October 08, 2007, 07:29:40 AM

We pretty much got wtfpwned in Freethinker's Hideout.

The first named will summon and kill the last character on the hate list. Five of us (including me and the 3rd guardian) went naked and would run in and hit the mob once and then wait to be summoned. Took us three tries to beat him (have to joust his NASTY poison AE.) I died 20+ times but I was naked but for a weapon. One thing I have learned at level 70 - don't automatically sell gear once you get an upgrade. Anything Legendary or better should be kept unless its resists and stats are similar to the upgrade. For example, there is a mob in Deathtoll that is immune to piercing and then spits into two mobs, one immune to crushing and the other immune to slashing. In post-raid discussions, we think 3 nakeds would have been enough. The mob dropped a nice buckler with a +25 DPS proc, but almost 100 lower protection than the one in Unrest that I use so I didn't roll.

The next challenge was a 4 X 73x3 encounter. One of the mobs has insane debuffs. Took us three tries. Then we had another like that we beat on the first try.

The second named in the zone embarassed us. First, everyone in the raid was instructed to get disease resists under 1500. This involved removing key pieces of gear for most of us. Fighter gear tends to have a lot of disease resists. During the fight, the mob will cast a nasty disease attack on its current target, usually the tank. If the target does not DIE from that attack, a 73x2 mob spawns. I had my disease resists down to 1200 and I didn't die from it the one time I was targeted, although I died very quickly from tanking the mob since my mit was under 4k from removing gear. We failed three times at which point several raid key raid members couldn't repair any more due to the repair kit reuse timers. A coercer to control the adds should make the fight easier, but not easy. We will try that next time. Our one coercer was playing his healer instead.

ps - if no one has any real interest in these "updates" I won't post them. I just find the raid-game fun.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 07:32:51 AM by shiznitz »

I have never played WoW.
Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #183 on: October 08, 2007, 09:51:45 AM

Man, how are you supposed to figure those raid bosses out?

"Wipe repeatedly" may be a valid option, but given the monetary and temporal consequences of wiping it doesn't sound very palatable.
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #184 on: October 08, 2007, 10:53:39 AM

"Wipe repeatedly" may be a valid option, but given the monetary and temporal consequences of wiping it doesn't sound very palatable.

Let the uber guilds figure it out first and read spoilers. I hate to use spoiler sites, but for raids, I can't say that I have the time to wipe over and over to figure things out. Unless the quest information, mob dialogue, etc. gives the appropriate hints.

And yes, shiznitz, I like the updates and like reading about the raids because I think they're interesting even if I'll never attain the level to try them in EQ2 or have the time.

Did I mention I finally got all patched up and logged in? Well, I did. Still fun, and still well done. I hazard to say even better now.

I see they did away with the base class thing. Not sure whether or not I like it that way.

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #185 on: October 08, 2007, 11:41:09 AM

The mobs do emote that they are doing something, but it would take more than a few attempts to discover the exact mechanics. Even then, though, there is nothing better than direct experience. For example, for the first named, our lone shaman just tried to heal the MT the first two fights. The third time, he made sure to debuff the nasty poison AE off the MT as his first priority since we learned that the DoT was 1/4 of the tank's health per tick for 6 ticks AFTER the initial DD portion for 4k. Cancelling that DoT was much more important that straight healing.

As far as the second named went, the raid does get a message on the screen (not in the chat box) in big red letters saying "<mob name> Points Her Finger of <blah blah> at <raidmember>." Then we would get a raid mob with that raid member's name, something like Corporeal Essence of <raidmember> which would quickly start attacking the squishies.

I have never played WoW.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #186 on: October 08, 2007, 02:07:57 PM

Nice to see that raids are still circle jerks of pain.

And keep up the updates, shiz. Nice to be reminded of what I'm not gonna do once I hit the upper levels.  :-D

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #187 on: October 09, 2007, 09:27:05 AM

Yes, thanks for the updates.  I've burned out on CoH again and need a new fix.  I'm torn between resubbing to EQ2 or WoW and have been leaning toward WoW just for ability to solo.  I guess I could always transfer one of my 40-something toons from butcherblock to oasis and join you guys, but I hate giving SOE money for that kind of stuff.  Suggestions are welcome btw.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #188 on: October 09, 2007, 09:37:16 AM

I'm on a rather long break from CoX, too.  I never last more than a couple of months straight, if that.  I do go back, though, with every new issue and if they celebrate any sort of holiday or have an in-game event.  There is a ton of solo content in EQ2, now.  There is no reason to ever group if you don't fell like it.  I almost never bother with groups, especially since I usually play during the day and rarely for huge amounts of time in one session.  It's nice to have some sort of guild, though, when you do want some help.  Bat Country is small, but we're all very cute and smushy. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #189 on: October 09, 2007, 11:32:27 AM

Souk: if you haven't logged in since they ditched pre-classes....holy shit is the game a lot better now.

Nebu: Not sure when you played EQ2 last, it's very solo-friendly, though of course there are tons of group/raid cockblocks if you're not into that, but WoW has a few of them itself. I think about going back to my 58 Hunter from WoW release, but EQ2 is plenty of game for me...still only 42 with my main, mostly due to altoholism.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #190 on: October 09, 2007, 11:37:28 AM

Nebu: Not sure when you played EQ2 last, it's very solo-friendly, though of course there are tons of group/raid cockblocks if you're not into that, but WoW has a few of them itself. I think about going back to my 58 Hunter from WoW release, but EQ2 is plenty of game for me...still only 42 with my main, mostly due to altoholism.

I played about a year ago... after most of the changes to combat mechanics etc, but before the Fay expansion.  When I left I was playing a brigand, which is why I found some of the linked encounters to be a tad rough.  I think I gave up on the brigand at about level 40.  My warden seemed to be a safer solo toon, but it was so slow that I had a hard time staying interested.  Perhaps I should go back to my dwarf warrior.  He was an armorer so I was always well-equipped. 

I think I'm going to give the BC 10 day trial a whirl.  If the graphics really begin to bug me again, I'll likely roll a noobie on Oasis. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #191 on: October 09, 2007, 11:45:03 AM

Souk: if you haven't logged in since they ditched pre-classes....holy shit is the game a lot better now.

No kidding, Sky. I logged in yesterday and made an Arasai Inquisitor just to muck about and check out Neriak. Haven't made it to Neriak yet, but wow am I having fun. I'm sure it will only get better for a while. My main is only a level 20 dirge, but I remember burning out there before and that's when I stopped, so we'll see how things scale past 20. I'm not sure how well Dirges can solo so I don't know if I'll ever go back to playing that character. Not that I dislike groups, because those are fun, too. In any case, good stuff.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #192 on: October 09, 2007, 01:50:43 PM

Neb, don't forget we have crafters, too. My SK is an armorcrafter...but for lower level stuff I do expect the materials because I don't keep all tiers stocked. I usually try to keep two tiers of common materials and usually only ask for rares/imbues/hard metals for most recipes.

At 42 with the SK, the soloing is as good as it's been all along. My wizard can still solo great at 33, my other characters are generally around 20 so no longer perspective. The ranger and paladin were slowing down a bit. Ranger needs to pick and choose battles more and paladin was just too slooooow. New monk is soloing stronger as he goes (he's 21 right now, going to level-lock him at 22 for a while). Also have a newbie Inq, I've heard good things about the Battle Cleric spec and hey, on the three times a year we group it'd be nice to have another healer (Gimpy plays a Fury, I think our only 'full-time' healer).
UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

Reply #193 on: October 11, 2007, 08:25:37 AM

No one really figures them out on their own. At least not in EQ2.

The flow of info goes as follows:

Uber guild is invited to beta test. As part of the beta test they are given the rough breakdown of a mobs strategy. They then try it a few times to gauge the difficulty and determine if there is a sufficient strategy while the devs balance the mob to make it tough but beatable by the top guilds. The guild then offers the devs tips on how to make the zones/mobs more interesting. It's a give and take basically between the devs and the guilds. The devs get some free advice and the guilds get free strategy without wasting too much of their time.

The expansion goes live and the top guilds spend the first few weeks being the first to kill everything and deal with any last minute surprises the devs may have thrown in. Then they slowly start leaking info to the second tier uber guilds who then start posting spoilers on websites. The masses then read the spoilers and that's the end.

Usually the leaks come from former guild members who left the second tier guilds to join the top guilds. Back when I was raiding all our info came from a few folks in NPU which actually had/has a couple devs active in the guild. We also had a couple of our harder core members transfer servers to join NPU and a couple NPU who wanted to do more casual raiding do the opposite.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #194 on: October 11, 2007, 09:04:32 AM

That would be the end of the game that /I/ don't enjoy. Exclusivity in a game meant for thousands of players. And people bitch about my favoring solo play in a massively multiplayer game. Heh.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #195 on: October 11, 2007, 09:24:19 AM

Anyone know of a good spoiler site with all the raids listed? The one I've found is all KOS, but nothing much for EOF.

My guild is just starting into the EOF stuff. We've beat all the KOS raids (though I'd like to finish DT with a deathcount in the single digits). We mostly get some information from the web and then figure out the rest. The walkthroughs I've seen are never really all that complete. And it takes a few tries to really figure out where "get to side to avoid AOE" really means.

I think we learn more from a few people doing guest shots on other people's raids and having the occasional pickup who offers a hint--like the sneaky space so melee can go after Corsander in labs.

It's actually pretty interesting. A lot more so than I ever thought raiding would be.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #196 on: October 11, 2007, 09:27:25 AM

Yes, it does sound interesting. I think it'd be a lot of fun. Unfortunately, most players will never get a chance to see the devs shine, eh?

I guess if any of you raiders are on Oasis you can grab BC members for pickup slots if you'd like, for mid-level raids, of course (if such things exist!).
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #197 on: October 11, 2007, 09:43:30 AM

Anyone know of a good spoiler site with all the raids listed? The one I've found is all KOS, but nothing much for EOF.

My guild is just starting into the EOF stuff. We've beat all the KOS raids (though I'd like to finish DT with a deathcount in the single digits). We mostly get some information from the web and then figure out the rest. The walkthroughs I've seen are never really all that complete. And it takes a few tries to really figure out where "get to side to avoid AOE" really means.

I think we learn more from a few people doing guest shots on other people's raids and having the occasional pickup who offers a hint--like the sneaky space so melee can go after Corsander in labs.

It's actually pretty interesting. A lot more so than I ever thought raiding would be.

There are no ABC walkthroughs for most of the KOS raids. Some mobs you have to joust and some you don't. Knowing that you have to joust doesn't mean you will win on your first try. Most raid dragons have a front and back AE. That means the tank pulls the dragon's head into a corner and everyone stands by the front shoulders. However, most dragons also have a special AE that requires something else.

Talendor's AE spawns 2 heroics for every PC caught in the AE. We pull Talendor to a specific spot every time. This way everyone in the raid knows the radius of the AE.  What do you do with the adds? Took us a few tries to figure out the best place to pull them and how many people to use to burn them down. We did get 30+ adds a few times when we messed up the joust.

Gorenaire doesn't have a special AE. She just teleports the tank across the room so the ST has to be there to re-grab aggro immediately. Telling you that, however, doesn't mean you can pull it off on your first try.

Those two dragons are actually very good "learning" dragons since they don't have tons of HPs.

I have never played WoW.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #198 on: October 11, 2007, 11:08:21 AM

Yes, it does sound interesting. I think it'd be a lot of fun. Unfortunately, most players will never get a chance to see the devs shine, eh?

I find the raiding more accessible in EQ2 than most games. Probably because the output of expansions is fast and one can "grow into" raid zones. So you might not see the top end, but the top end will be a step down in six months. It's more accessible than WOW and infinitely more than EQ. I've never raided before this in any game and I got recruited as a pickup. (There is a substantial repair bill if you try to do labs at 62.) We almost always fill out our raids with pickups and I see others pretty regularly looking for people for KOS raids as well.

This site has some pretty good KOS walkthroughs: http://www.raidwiki.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page but there are some gaps.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #199 on: October 11, 2007, 11:27:52 AM

We always have 2-6 pickups. Raids in EQ2 aren't timesinks. There are one mob raids that take 45 minutes and multi-mob raids that can take 4 hours if you elect to kill all the nameds, but you can always quit early. I also love how in the KoS zones, any of the trash mobs in the major raid zones (Labs, Lyceum, Daethtoll) can drop relic armor, i.e. quality Fabled.

I have never played WoW.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #200 on: October 11, 2007, 02:44:07 PM

Sky, there are numerous mid-level raids in EQ2.  There are the occasional x2, x3 contested mob that go from the mid-teens on up and get lots of chat spam for pick-up members but there are also full on raid zones.  There are guild raids that you get from the city and provide lots of guild exp and status and areas like the one off the beach in Nektulous, Cauldron of something-or-other which is mid-30's or the one at the end of the Greater Lightstone quest that is mid-20ish and lots of others.

Build a core team for the raid, tank and what-not, of guildies and then advertise for pick-up groups that are there to just provide DPS.  I've taken my toon on several of these types of raids, they usually take about an hour to put together but can be pretty fun.  Start with the contested mobs since you can just put together a raid and kill it and then go on your way.  Once you have a few of those under your belt you can get more ambitious.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

Reply #201 on: October 12, 2007, 06:51:26 AM

The Epic Angler in TS is the best practice raid ever. He's a level 50 Epic x 4 but easy enough that a single group of raid geared 60s could beat him even before KoS came out. Also really easy to get to if you have the Splitpaw shard. Call to Splitpaw and one zone later you are basically right there. Takes like 2 minutes for everyone to get there.

Then again most of the old world raids are pretty easy any more. Especially if you get a 55-60 tank to tank all the level 50 epics.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #202 on: October 12, 2007, 01:08:57 PM

I totally dig the fact that even the yard trash in raids can drop useful shit. That was one of the bigger pains in the as about EQ raids. Sit for four hours and get two items for the 40 people that showed.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #203 on: October 15, 2007, 08:37:00 AM

Build a core team for the raid, tank and what-not, of guildies
Heh. This is Bat Country we're talking about.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #204 on: October 15, 2007, 05:02:27 PM

Yeah, we obviously can't stop here...  :-D

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Why I don't enjoy this game.  
Jump to: