Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:01:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Titan Quest  |  Topic: So... Titan Quest, eh? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: So... Titan Quest, eh?  (Read 65836 times)
Azazel
Contributor

on: December 11, 2006, 12:51:19 AM

It's 50% off at EB for their Christmas sale right now. I've been eyeing it since all of you got excited about it, but have been busily spending my money on various different useless shit than PC or console games, since WoW and work have kept me busy.

The last patch gave a HUGE buff to Typhon.  Also took away the awesome loot tables that bosses had, I'm told.   :-( 

So I have a couple of questions

1) With about 6-8 weeks off from this weekend though.. I'm considering buying it. Thoughts?

2) Given the quote above, and if I buy it, should I bother to patch it at all? Or patch it to a less-recent version?

3) Anyone play this online at all? Or did the shiney wear off completely?

4) Is the online play in this like D2? IE characters are either totally online of offline and no way to play your offline character in an online game?

5) Anything else you think worth mentioning.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 12:57:36 AM

No real need to patch, no. Or at least, I didn't have any problems.

Shiny wore off completely for me, wasn't as frantic as Diablo.

The online play is not like Diablo, you can play your online toon offline.

The first two times through, it's a hell of a lot of fun. But there's a couple levels/quests that ruin the entire game the third time through.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 03:21:23 AM

Ah, thats good then. I rarely get to play through a game twice, let alone more than that. There's simply not enough time unforutnately, between consoles, WoW (formerly EQ1), miniature wargames and other PC games. A good solidly fun once-through is all I ask for in a game.

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 10:48:40 PM

Can you LAN this thing with only one CD-Key? I know some games will let you do that.

(I'll be no-disc-patching it regardless. I like to keep my discs safe and in their cases.)

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 03:14:00 AM

You can.  The wife and I did it.

However, the game is shit mate.  Give it up.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #5 on: December 15, 2006, 12:56:32 PM

EB had it for 50% off, and their Christmas return thingy goes till January 15th. If it's truly sucktastic, I'll just take it back.

Also, thanks for letting me know about the LAN-ning, mate, I was actually considering getting a second one for that, so you've saved me $50 at best and the troubkle of buying and returning two of them at worst. ta!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 03:20:38 PM by Azazel »

dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 10:53:25 PM

So.  Should I buy this game off Steam right now?  I remember everyone all hrad about it a long time ago.  I need something Diabloish in my life right now.
schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007, 11:00:35 PM

With the expansion, it's the closest thing to Diablo you're going to get. The dream class that the expansion unlocks is BOMB.
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: December 21, 2007, 11:05:19 PM

Can you talk me into it some more?  I'm on the fence pal, I need a bitchslap or some peer pressure.
schild
Administrator

Reply #9 on: December 21, 2007, 11:18:17 PM

*ping*

sorry, no time, gotta get this ring identified.
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: December 21, 2007, 11:29:52 PM

Well played.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #11 on: December 22, 2007, 12:41:18 AM

If you like cutting a swath through enemies that fill your screen Titan Quest is not it. In other words the combat does not feel at all like Diablo does.
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: December 22, 2007, 01:24:01 AM

Where were you  an hour ago?  I hope the loot rules.  Dungeon Siege 1 and 2 had the shittiest loot I've ever heard of. 
schild
Administrator

Reply #13 on: December 22, 2007, 11:36:31 AM

The loot gets gradually better, like Diablo 2 with the XPac. I assume you got the TQ Expansion pack?
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: December 22, 2007, 12:39:22 PM

Yeah, I haven't played it yet, it was late last night and I have to drive home now for the holidays.  But I'm mildly stoked about this.  As long as there is some tidy loot progression and decent combat that doesn't feel broken, I should be alright.  I really hope you didn't like Dungeon Siege.  That could mean big trouble for me.  You could go HOURS in that game without getting an upgrade for a slot.  DAYS even.
schild
Administrator

Reply #15 on: December 22, 2007, 12:40:00 PM

I didn't like Dungeon Siege.
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: December 24, 2007, 12:24:26 AM

Neither did I, but loot was the least of the problems I had with Dungeon Siege.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
schild
Administrator

Reply #17 on: December 24, 2007, 05:28:04 AM

No doubt. That game was riddled with things that felt tedious. It had all the trappings of a dungeon crawler but was completely unfun.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #18 on: December 27, 2007, 10:53:13 AM

I had fun with Dungeon Siege in the Post-Diablo-II era due to no alternatives (let it be known that I will play and enjoy almost any D2 clone)... Dungeon Siege 2 was much worse for some reason.  Like Gas Powered decided that the problem with their Diablo clone was that it wasn't enough like Neverwinter Nights or something.

Anyway, Titan Quest with expansion is great.  Combat is better than DS, in my opinion.  I have never been the biggest fan of skill trees, but TQ has that.  Not so many enemies as D2 but it has more than DS and a faster pace.  Good loot, shared bank, newfangled (Fate-style) sockets, also some item crafting shit that I am having the worst fucking luck in collecting ingredients for.  I still giggle when I hit one of those cat women so hard that she flies over nearby buildings.  Skeletons explode in a satsifying manner.  No identify/recall scrolls necessary, which speeds up shit considerably.  Enemies drop apropriate items, which is a sticking point for some people (me), meaning if you kill a beastman that is wearing leather armor (which is visible on him) and carrying an axe, that's what he drops.  The amount of items dropped is ludicrous due to this, although most of it is broken or normal.  Item filters fix this, meaning you can press a key to show all items on the ground, another to show non-broken items and yet another to show only magical items and gold.

Switching between TQ and Mythos has pretty much satisifed any Diablo 3 lust I have.  For now.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #19 on: January 01, 2008, 06:53:08 PM

Man, fuck Dungeon Siege in the ass. Especially Dungeon Siege 2.

What, I have to grind through the game multiple times to unlock party slots? Fuck that shit. How does that idea get out of Alpha?

Parts of the game were a lot of fun, others were just Completely broken.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #20 on: January 06, 2008, 06:18:40 PM

Having never gotten around to actually playing this fucking thing, but keeping my eyes open for the expansion pack (which still only seems to be selling for nearly as much as a new, whole game at retail) I've found the expack for a good price online.
Except it's selling for as much or more as the deluxe, all-inclusive "gold" pack with both the original game and the expack included..

So I guess I'll get that instead.  swamp poop

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #21 on: January 23, 2008, 09:22:59 AM

Finally started playing this tonight. More than a year after I first posted. Got IT as well.

Playng it LAN style with my wife, after a successful introduction to the D2 genre courtesy of Mythos.

So two more questions:

Is there a "you can't complete this game unless you choose this class" class? If so, what is it, and primary or secondary? (or both?)

What's the new class which set us up the bomb? Dream Master? Primary or Secondary? (or both?)

spiralyguy
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: January 29, 2008, 12:29:33 PM

I don't think you'll have trouble completing the game with any class if you choose decent skills (you can pay to respec). 

I didn't mind TQ at all.  It's certainly no Diablo, your character runs MUCH slower, combat is a much slower pace and generally involves less monsters.  The loot seemed pretty good and had enough interesting effects.  The skills also seemed pretty well done, a couple that were lackluster but for the most part they were good.

My biggest problem with TQ is that I kept rerolling before level 20.  Think I got 5 classes up to 20, something like that, and I still wasn't satisfied with what I had (you can dual class, warrior/fire mage or whatever combo you like, so there's a TON of combinations) and then I got so tired of playing the initial area of the game I just gave up and never finished it lol.  So.... don't be like me and ruin the game for youself  Ohhhhh, I see.

What's the new class which set us up the bomb?
I dont understand what you're asking.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #23 on: January 29, 2008, 12:47:41 PM

I think he's refering to Dream Mastery, but I seem to be doing it wrong.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #24 on: January 30, 2008, 05:35:19 PM

Sorry yes, it turned out to be Dream Mastery. I was saying "da bomb" ie "it's great" in an odd way.

We've gotten up to level 15-ish and it's pretty decent so far. If I were SPing it it might be more tedious but duoing it's quite fun. Haven't played for a few days, due to the curse of being back at work, but yeah, pretty good.

ironic
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: October 27, 2008, 08:41:37 AM

I found the expansion online for $9 at amazon last week so I picked up a couple of copies for myself and my son. We played co-op all weekend, I had forgotten how much fun and addictive this game was.
waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: December 10, 2008, 08:41:26 PM

I downloaded both the game and the x-pac, used cd-keys that were no longer in use (I wonder why), enjoyed the gamed for a few weeks and was done with it.

I highly suggest people do the same.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Titan Quest  |  Topic: So... Titan Quest, eh?  
Jump to: