Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:27:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Speaking About Horizons.... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Speaking About Horizons....  (Read 28678 times)
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

on: December 05, 2006, 11:30:13 AM

It recently got sold again.  Sort of.  Well, the company that owns it, anyway.  It seems some of the same people who bought it this time were part of the company who sold it to them... err... selves.  Didn't this already happen once?

Source    rolleyes

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
WayAbvPar

Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 11:44:09 AM

How are you always up to date on the crappy games that no one cares about? It is truly amazing  :-D I fully expect a DnL update soon now!

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 11:49:22 AM

Amazing.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 11:49:51 AM

WAP is being mean to me, isn't he?

WayAbvPar

Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 11:51:36 AM

Not at all. I just find it amusing that those games still have someone who reads the updates they send out! I get DnL emails regularly, but I never read them  :-D

I wouldn't be mean to you. Unless you really had it coming. Or I was cranky.  evil

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 01:49:17 PM

Or he was thirsty, or in a bad mood, which is only like 75% of the time. The rest of the time he's thirsty.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #6 on: December 05, 2006, 03:08:22 PM

Oh, okay then.  I forgive you.

PS  I find WAP to be a relatively happy man.  Well, compared to... say... Rasix.  (I compare everything to Rasix)

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006, 06:29:36 PM

So, is Peter S. Beagle still writing storylines on the foredeck of this Titanic?

Don't tell me you don't have an account.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: December 05, 2006, 06:43:59 PM

It recently got sold again.  Sort of.  Well, the company that owns it, anyway.  It seems some of the same people who bought it this time were part of the company who sold it to them... err... selves.  Didn't this already happen once?

Source    rolleyes
EI is the publisher, but isn't Tulga still the developer? So techically, wouldn't it be Tulga that "owns" Horizons while it's the publishing partner that got picked up by that MyGameHaven portal thing?

I ask only to understand :)
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #9 on: December 05, 2006, 08:17:21 PM

I don't know what happened to the Peter S. Beagle thingy... I would guess that's over. 

As far as I know, EII bought and took over the whole shebang, including development.  I think Tulga Games is gone, too.  As in defunct.

I don't have an account.  Someone just sent me an email about it.  Even I'm not demented enough to play this disaster.

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #10 on: December 05, 2006, 08:59:35 PM

Please stop tempting me.  I have lots of time on my hands lately.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Sunbury
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: December 06, 2006, 08:20:02 AM

I wonder if my Adult Dragon still exists on my account.  I quit 3/4 months after it went live, which I don't even recall when that was.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #12 on: December 06, 2006, 10:15:33 AM

They had adult dragons that soon? I thought it had taken them around six months to patch in that bit of 'fun'. Eh, maybe a week seemed like six months in Horizons.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #13 on: December 06, 2006, 10:25:30 AM

I wonder if my Adult Dragon still exists on my account.  I quit 3/4 months after it went live, which I don't even recall when that was.

So you actually played it for 3/4 months? GUARDS!

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #14 on: December 06, 2006, 10:41:03 AM

there must be something good at the bottom of this box of crackerjacks...   rolleyes
Sunbury
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: December 06, 2006, 11:20:03 AM

Horizons had one feature I wish every mmog (and sp rpg) had.   You could open up a terrain map of the world (just a big .jpg) that just had basic terrain, no POI/towns etc.   You could scroll /zoom around it, and the best part: you could put little markers (all different kinds) on the map, and put your own notes with them.    It was an explorers/mappers dream.  The file was kept client-side and was plain text, so it was easy to clean up, backup etc.

Dragons were not that strong, but they had a whole family of quests (mostly weak, but hey) across all the levels up to when they added Adult Dragon quest, after which you could fly.   Also there was dragon crafting (scales for buffs instead of armor).    Once I could fly I visited every nook and cranny of the world.  It was also fun to fly around looking for the mob you want, swoop down, kill it, take off.  (Could not fight flying, darn it).

Also for crafting you could use this 'disk' like a slow cart, to safely store extra stuff before processing it.  Again, I haven't seen that in any other mmog.

I also liked the world itself, large, varied, and true 3D.   Only one town was a lag-fest even empty, which it always was, except for certain quest givers.

The 'community building' was different also.  Where everyone on the server works to open a mine/tunnel or bridge to new zones.  It was fun the first couple of times, then got old. 

If they just added more mobs, and added dungeons or more special areas it would have been good.  I liked it 10x better than SWG (which I played 1.5 mo's, and 2x better than AC2 (2.5 mos).

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #16 on: December 06, 2006, 11:20:24 AM

there must be something good at the bottom of this box of crackerjacks...   rolleyes

Oooooo, look. Syphilis!

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #17 on: December 06, 2006, 11:29:07 AM

Oooooo, look. Syphilis!

You are so, SO bad!

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #18 on: December 06, 2006, 11:30:13 AM

I wasn't the one who put the syphilis in the box.

WayAbvPar

Reply #19 on: December 06, 2006, 12:13:28 PM

Oooooo, look. Syphilis!

You got me on that one, you bastard. Peppermint mocha is better swallowed than inhaled.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: December 06, 2006, 02:33:25 PM

At least your breath is minty fresh!

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #21 on: December 06, 2006, 06:39:01 PM

As far as I know, EII bought and took over the whole shebang, including development.  I think Tulga Games is gone, too.  As in defunct.

I went looking for anything on Dark World Online, Tulga's other game.

Even the official site is dead.

It's probably for the best.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #22 on: December 07, 2006, 09:40:38 AM

Probably? Probably implies doubt, as in "this game might not be a swirling vortex of suck." Let me disabuse you of that notion.

Nothing Tulga produces, produced or would have produced in the fantasy world where they actually could produce something has even the slightest chance to not suck.

WayAbvPar

Reply #23 on: December 07, 2006, 10:02:35 AM

Probably? Probably implies doubt, as in "this game might not be a swirling vortex of suck." Let me disabuse you of that notion.

Nothing Tulga produces, produced or would have produced in the fantasy world where they actually could produce something has even the slightest chance to not suck.

Unless they started making vacuum cleaners.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #24 on: December 07, 2006, 10:16:59 AM

Those vaccum cleaners would blow outwards.

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #25 on: December 07, 2006, 10:19:27 AM

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #26 on: December 10, 2006, 12:22:05 PM

NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #27 on: December 11, 2006, 04:27:39 AM

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #28 on: December 11, 2006, 04:33:37 AM

http://crusade.qol.com/images/screenshots/GUIShot1.jpg

Haha

Well, I guess "Patronage Power" is original at least...
SpaceDrake
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: December 11, 2006, 08:30:01 AM

They actually call one of the kingdoms "Asheroth"? How on earth do they plan to not get sued into dust?

I'm also a bit fuzzy on what this has to do with Horizons.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #30 on: December 11, 2006, 09:27:59 AM

I'm also a bit fuzzy on what this has to do with Horizons.

I think it's because David Allen was the initial lead designer (and thinker upper) of Horizons. 

That was after his career as front man for Gong, cricket player for England, author, comedian, artist, bassist and producer of some really cool bands. 

NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #31 on: December 11, 2006, 09:45:24 AM

It's too early for you to be this high, Signe.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: December 11, 2006, 09:58:27 AM

http://crusade.qol.com/images/screenshots/GUIShot1.jpg

Haha

Well, I guess "Patronage Power" is original at least...

Yeah, I noticed that GUI is umm..very familiar. Heh. I bet Blizzard is just banking on them not being worth the time to sue.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #33 on: December 11, 2006, 11:12:42 AM

It's too early for you to be this high, Signe.

Stop bringing me down, man.

dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #34 on: December 11, 2006, 12:24:56 PM

I'm surprised you guys didn't know about this.  I say we start a new Crusade specific thread.  It's gold Jerry, pure gold.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Speaking About Horizons....  
Jump to: