Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:40:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Speaking About Horizons.... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Speaking About Horizons....  (Read 28677 times)
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #35 on: December 11, 2006, 12:34:13 PM

Let me just add something for those that don't know.

Originally, Horizons sounded like 'THEE' shit. What it is now, and what it was supposed to be (now) are very different than what is was supposed to be THEN. About two years in development, DA's investors mutinied and forced him out of the project he created.  If you search around the net, you can find a full account of the proceedings.  Then, DA started Pharoah Productions, working on a game for XBox/PS2 called Dominion, and a MMO called UNIVERSE.  This game studio was promptly shut down like a year later by DA, citing a lack of passion and disgust for the business side of things for leaving the game industry behind.  Now, he's back. If you search around the new site for CRUSADE, the concept art with the T-Rex spewing laser/fire is from the concept art for UNIVERSE.

The whole thing is only slightly more credible than DAWN.  Funny thing is, when Horizons was first announced, I followed it religously because I was A) in highschool and B) a total newb about life in general and MMO's specifically.  I wised up fairly quickly.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #36 on: December 11, 2006, 12:42:43 PM

The saga of David Allen has been discussed a few times here.  I think the final consensus was that, although he might not be a crook, he is insane.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
schild
Administrator

Reply #37 on: December 11, 2006, 05:45:02 PM

I should visit him at home and ask? Confirm/Deny.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #38 on: December 11, 2006, 06:45:38 PM

Like he's going to tell YOU if he's insane!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Sparky
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: December 11, 2006, 08:18:09 PM

Also for crafting you could use this 'disk' like a slow cart, to safely store extra stuff before processing it.  Again, I haven't seen that in any other mmog.

Judging by the run animations, I think they made a floating disk because they couldn't get a packhorse to look right.
Sunbury
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: December 12, 2006, 06:29:15 AM

The graphical representation wasn't the point, is there any MMORPG out there that has the equivalent functionality?  (External movable storage that survives login/logout and doesn't teleport with you, you can leave it set up somewhere, go do something else, and come back to it).
Chenghiz
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: December 12, 2006, 01:43:24 PM

EVE has that.
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: December 12, 2006, 03:22:26 PM

UO had it 9 years ago.
Rhonstet
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: December 12, 2006, 04:17:38 PM

EVE has that.

Apples and oranges.  EVE jetcans and anchorable containers are stationary.  The sleds from Horizons were meant to serve as kind of simple pack animal.  The closest thing for EVE would be towable jetcans or cargo delivery drones.

Judging by the run animations, I think they made a floating disk because they couldn't get a packhorse to look right.

Actually, I thought it was ripping of DnD and the now-renamed "Floating Disk" spell.  http://www.wizards.com/d20/files/v35/SpellsF-G.rtf

We now return to your regularly scheduled foolishness, already in progress.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: December 12, 2006, 05:46:56 PM

Horizon's external storage wasn't stationary? UO's was (you drop or you pick up, it doesn't move on its own).

You could drop stuff into the game world of EQ1 too, but I think it despawned after a short period (not tied to logging in/out). Would need someone who remembers better than I though.

And vehicles and droids (which could carry data storage) would persist in the world in SWG... if you crashed out :)
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #45 on: December 12, 2006, 06:50:01 PM

You could drop stuff into the game world of EQ1 too, but I think it despawned after a short period (not tied to logging in/out). Would need someone who remembers better than I though.
Yes you could.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #46 on: December 12, 2006, 09:43:45 PM

They nerf that a while back, but you used to be able to scurry into a sekrit hidden place, dump coin on the ground, log out, log back in with your alt, and snap up the coin before the despawn timer passed. This was before the shared coin slot.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: December 13, 2006, 06:29:19 AM

I did that in UO more times than I can remember. The 5k starting gold prompted a lot of insta-deleted alting :)

I remember EQ1 nerfing the coin drops. Did they ever shut down the item-passing one? Before they had the ingame compass, I used to use that to find true north (because swords always dropped into the world pointing north).
Hartsman
Developers

Trion

Reply #48 on: December 13, 2006, 08:23:29 AM

I remember EQ1 nerfing the coin drops. Did they ever shut down the item-passing one? Before they had the ingame compass, I used to use that to find true north (because swords always dropped into the world pointing north).

Yeah, people dropping stuff on the ground turned into a measurable source of petitions later in EQ's life.  Half were petitioned as accidental drops ("your broken game ate my X!"), and for the other half the only answer was to make one of two people really unhappy.  (Either the guy who dropped it gets told "sorry," or the guy who picked it up gets it taken from him.)

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: December 13, 2006, 09:41:55 AM

Horizon's external storage wasn't stationary? UO's was (you drop or you pick up, it doesn't move on its own).
It acted as a cart.  If attached your character moved more slowly, or you could unattach it to run about.  It could also be put in inventory if empty.
Actually, I thought it was ripping of DnD and the now-renamed "Floating Disk" spell.  http://www.wizards.com/d20/files/v35/SpellsF-G.rtf
Probably.  I thought the same thing.  The spells are only renamed in the d20 free rules.  All the Greyhawk names are proprietary.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: December 13, 2006, 10:08:51 AM

Oh, so like a SWG droid, except it could carry goods too. Cool.

Quote from: Hartsmann
Yeah, people dropping stuff on the ground turned into a measurable source of petitions later in EQ's life.  Half were petitioned as accidental drops ("your broken game ate my X!"), and for the other half the only answer was to make one of two people really unhappy.  (Either the guy who dropped it gets told "sorry," or the guy who picked it up gets it taken from him.)
Hehe, I can quite imagine.

You know what I'd love to see someday: CSR headaches caused by game design features (since dropping into the world was a feature). :)
Sunbury
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: December 13, 2006, 12:43:02 PM

I never played UO, I didn't start MMOGing until mid 1999.  I always wanted to try it, but I really hate isometric, it just seems weird not to be able to 'look up' to the horizon.  I played D1 and didn't mind, becase that was the era, but when D2 was still isometric I was pissed (I still bought it and finished it, but pissed the whole time, esp when crap 'off screen' shot shit at me).

Until housing was added in AC1, 'ground muling' was the only way to transfer stuff between characters on the same account (without help from a friend).

You put the stuff on the ground (even a pack full of stuff), logged out, logged in your mule (character on same account just used to store stuff), and picked it up.

If the server crashes, you loose con, or someone wanders by, you lose the item.

I actually didnt mind this!  It added excitment to the game.

I always tried to find a good 'mule spot' for my chars, not far from a recall point, but far enough, not in the path random people would run by, etc.   Again, was a fun mini-game.

Housing added chests, and all chars can share the chest and house, and recall to the house, so its safe now.  I'll still ground-mule inside my house if my chest is full.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Speaking About Horizons....  
Jump to: