Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:30:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Preacher to be done as HBO series 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Preacher to be done as HBO series  (Read 25736 times)
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #35 on: December 08, 2006, 10:26:28 PM

Oh, and Preacher is a pretty good comic, but it's not Transmetropolitan or anything.  Of course it's very character oriented, too, but I can't help but be disappointed with it due to how they handled the religious aspects.  The vanity of God is a nice twist, but God's a pussy outside heaven, and he's scarred shitless of a one-trick pony who can't even find him?  Okay then. 

Although, "Need more gun" might be the single best line ever printed on a comic page.

Jesse wasn't really a one trick pony. Genesis had the equal power of God. In essence, God was afraid of himself. Or his equal. Either/or.

I hated the ending though. Thought it was a cheap glorification of the Saint's "Bad Ass" archetype. And blasphemous just for the sake of it (as opposed to blasphemous in more creative ways....as the rest of comic was done. Heh).
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #36 on: December 08, 2006, 10:32:47 PM

I hated the ending though. Thought it was a cheap glorification of the Saint's "Bad Ass" archetype. And blasphemous just for the sake of it (as opposed to blasphemous in more creative ways....as the rest of comic was done. Heh).

I disagree.  I don't think it was a glorification of the Saint's "Bad Ass" archetype.  God went out of his way to fuck over the Saint to create a hate-filled killing machine, and in the end that's what got him killed.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #37 on: December 08, 2006, 10:41:35 PM

Well, as you know, I am a "preacher" myself. Clouds my judgment a bit. I don't think "God" should be taken out like that wink

I forgot about that detail though. But either way, it just seemed juvenile. You can't deny Ennis is an Irishman in love with America...And especially the whole cowboy thing. He elevated cowboys to God status. Even if you include that plot detail, I think that was still his intent.

I live in San Antonio (where that final faceoff between Jesse and the Saint took place). It's not as cool as he thinks it is.

[edit] I think you're just pointing out the Saint's motivation. Ennis' motivation is in those last few panels. They speak volumes (where Jesse is riding off with Tulip, talking about his "career".....And then the last page of the Saint).

Anyways, I still like Preacher. Don't get me wrong, or think I'm causing a fuss. I hope no one gets on my case for analyzing too much. It's literature. It's meant to be analyzed (but of course, enjoyed as well).
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 10:54:25 PM by Stray »
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #38 on: December 08, 2006, 11:05:23 PM

Well, as you know, I am a "preacher" myself. Clouds my judgment a bit. I don't think "God" should be taken out like that wink

I forgot about that detail though. But either way, it just seemed juvenile. You can't deny Ennis is an Irishman in love with America...And especially the whole cowboy thing. He elevated cowboys to God status. Even if you include that plot detail, I think that was still his intent.

I live in San Antonio (where that final faceoff between Jesse and the Saint took place). It's not as cool as he thinks it is.

[edit] I think you're just pointing out the Saint's motivation. Ennis' motivation is in those last few panels. They speak volumes (where Jesse is riding off with Tulip, talking about his "career".....And then the last page of the Saint).

Ennis always said that he was telling a modern day Western (his inspiration for the Saint came from Unforgiven).  Sure God was taken out pretty easily, but it's God.  Anyway you kill him it's going to seem like a letdown.  Probably was best just to make it simple.
schild
Administrator

Reply #39 on: December 26, 2006, 12:48:06 PM

Looks like HBO ordered 60 episodes. Or rather, wants 60 episodes so it's just like the comic book. Seems they only ordered a seasons worth or so though. Wouldn't be surprise if they option the whole thing before the run starts though.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #40 on: December 26, 2006, 01:20:50 PM

Man, that's great. Even I, as a fan, would almost say 60 episodes is excessive. You could probably tell the whole thing in 45 (maybe three seasons worth), and still make it good.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #41 on: February 04, 2007, 12:46:43 PM

Oh, and if they do go ahead with this I hope they exorcise the annoying Bill Hicks/Pogues fanboidom from the comics.  Bill Hicks I emphatically don't think was a comic genius, and although I love the Pogues, there was never any reason to highlight them as much as they did in the comics.  It was rather sad and pathetic.  God help me, if I ever write a comic it'll be to tell a story, not to masturbate over what my cultural influences are.

Sounds good. Remind me when you manage to write and have published something as good as Preacher and I'll check it out.

Speaking only from the late 70's/late 80's of the X-Men comics, the heart and soul of the team were either Colossus or Nightcrawler.  Whatever they've done since then doesn't matter.  I'm locked into my late teenager phase of comic books, and I'll be damned if you dislodge me.

And yeah, I'll agree with you on that. Revitalised X-Men with interesting and likable characters before it got all fucktarded and I stopped reading.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 12:48:18 PM by Azazel »

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: May 04, 2007, 09:22:37 PM

Don't start dissing Cyclops, goddamnit. He's always been my favorite X-Man and the most tragically underused or badly written. He's got tons more depth than "I'm da best der is at what I do" Wolverine douchebag cuntwhistle.

Wow, thought I was the only Cyke fan!  Always loved his inner turmoil, natural leadership and of course his kick ass power.  I was VERY disappointed they killed him off in XMen 3.  NO other character is the purest XMan.  He was with the first team and with the second. 
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: May 05, 2007, 07:58:16 AM

I'm not a huge Cyclops fan but I've also never understood the hate people seem to have for him. Killing him of in Xmen 3 also pissed me off a lot, none of the other characters pulled off leadership like he did and frankly it seemed to have a negative impact on the idea of the Xmen as a team rather than a gang of mutants running around smacking people up.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: August 26, 2008, 03:51:29 PM

It arose from the Necroverse-verse-verse!!!

Preacher series dead at HBO

Johnson tells Comic Continuum as such:

“We were budgeting and everything and it was getting really close to going,” Johnson told The Continuum. “But the new head of HBO felt it was just too dark and too violent and too controversial. Which, of course, is kind of the point!

“It was a very faithful adaptation of the first few books, nearly word for word. They offered me the chance to redevelop it but I refused. I’ve learned my lesson on that front and I won’t do it again. So I’m afraid it’s dead at HBO.

“I’ve heard someone is in the process of getting the rights to turn it into a feature film. I hope that happens. But I hope it happens as a series of movies as one movie couldn’t do it justice. I really love that story and I dedicated a lot of my time to honor Garth’s work. But it wasn’t meant to be.”

I'm actually kinda relieved. Mark Steven Johnson isn't exactly my favorite guy for any project.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #45 on: August 26, 2008, 04:06:09 PM

I should be surprised, but sadly I'm not.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #46 on: August 26, 2008, 05:57:57 PM

I'm disappointed that it was too controversial for them -- I know there are plenty of indies who wouldn't shy away from the content, but HBO are the only ones who had the right balance of cash and open-mindedness to do it justice. Unfortunately, something got the better of them.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #47 on: August 27, 2008, 08:04:01 AM

HBO... the network that brought us Deadwood thought Preacher was too dark? What kind of fucking retards do they have running things over there now?

Of course, I wouldn't give Mark Steven Johnson ten cents to watch an outhouse after Ghost Rider, but still.

HAMMER FRENZY
Contributor

Reply #48 on: August 28, 2008, 06:27:30 AM

Yeah, this is awesome. Too good to be true.. hahah Since we can't do this, how about a Transmetropolitan HBO series?
On the cyclops thing. He has never been a character I liked. I enjoy drawing him, but only after I played X-Men V Street, Marvel vs Cap. etc. Really no one has ever done that character justice except Capcom.

"If he dies, he dies..."
                                - Ivan Drago
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 06:31:05 AM by HAMMER FRENZY »

My Genesis games... LET ME SHOW YOU THEM!
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #49 on: August 28, 2008, 08:23:57 AM

HBO... the network that brought us Deadwood thought Preacher was too dark? What kind of fucking retards do they have running things over there now?

I'm not sure that even HBO would be up for depicting a guy ripping off his own penis and fucking himself up the ass with it.

That being said, I'm glad to hear it was shitcanned rather than being "revised".

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #50 on: August 28, 2008, 01:01:30 PM

I'm not sure that even HBO would be up for depicting a guy ripping off his own penis and fucking himself up the ass with it.

That being said, I'm glad to hear it was shitcanned rather than being "revised".

To be fair, the comic didn't really depict it either.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #51 on: November 02, 2008, 11:18:30 PM

Preacher has now been picked up by Columbia Pictures.  Sam Mendes (director of the upcoming Revolutionary Road) is attached to direct (for now).
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #52 on: November 03, 2008, 08:04:00 AM

Well, hopefully he doesn't try to condense 50 issues (or whatever it was) into one pic. I could see it being slimmed to two at the very least..
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #53 on: November 03, 2008, 11:21:49 AM

At least it's not the director of Ghost Rider.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #54 on: November 03, 2008, 11:26:31 AM

Preacher would have been great as a miniseries, but as a feature film it's going to be very rushed.  My guess is they just cut out all the backstory and subplots that made the comic  DRILLING AND MANLINESS.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #55 on: November 03, 2008, 11:38:07 AM

As much as I didn't like Jarhead, he actually did cram a lot of shit in it.. American Beauty is a dense movie as well. Road to Perdition was a great adaptation too. Maybe the guy is right/good at compacting substance in err.. short "symbolic" moments (for lack of a better term).
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #56 on: November 03, 2008, 12:06:37 PM

Difference is each of those movies had what, one or two characters that we got to know in depth, and a few relatively minor supporting characters? 

Preacher has three main protagonists (Jesse, Tulip, Cassidy), each with lengthy backstories that are unfolded over the course of the comics (and in many cases you don't really "get" why the character acts the way they do until you've gotten some of their backstory).  It's got maybe three main antagonists (Starr, Grandma, and God), plus a whole crew of secondary antagonists that actually get reasonably well developed themselves (Jodie, Featherstone, the Saint).  And that's not counting all the side bits like Arseface, the Grail politics, Salvation, Les Enfants du Sang, et cetera.

Of course, a lot of that stuff can (and almost certainly will) get cut from the movie to fit it into two hours.  But I'm not sure if they can do that and retain what made Preacher great.  The well-developed characters and the intertwining stories are what I loved most about that series.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 12:12:18 PM by Samwise »

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Preacher to be done as HBO series  
Jump to: