Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:38:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Schilling's Green Monster Games 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 55 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Schilling's Green Monster Games  (Read 631404 times)
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #35 on: November 16, 2006, 10:56:14 AM

I don't know, I think a lot of games are trying to win that one.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #36 on: November 16, 2006, 11:15:21 AM

I'm not big into sports, especially not baseball.  Is this Schilling guy someone I should instinctually hate like so many of the other sports celebrities or is he an allright guy?  Someone tell me how to feel.

I already know how I feel about Salvatore and MacFarlane (indifferent).
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #37 on: November 16, 2006, 11:21:37 AM

Schilling's an all right guy. He's outspoken without being a complete douchebag. He's also got nerves of steel. He's the pitcher who pitched through the playoffs and World Series with a DETACHED FUCKING TENDON in his ankle. In order to keep his foot from falling off, he had the tendon STAPLED to the bone that day, then pitched with it. It bled through to his sock, which is why he's referred to as the bloody sock guy.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #38 on: November 16, 2006, 11:22:57 AM

Schilling is amazing. Still has bad taste though.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: November 16, 2006, 11:25:06 AM

I'm not big into sports, especially not baseball.  Is this Schilling guy someone I should instinctually hate like so many of the other sports celebrities or is he an allright guy?  Someone tell me how to feel.

Schilling is one of the really good guys in sports, to be honest.  Does alot of work with charities, never gets into trouble, and most definately not a sports primadonna.

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #40 on: November 16, 2006, 11:48:46 AM

I wish em all well.  Industry needs some new blood and enthusiasm.
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: November 16, 2006, 12:22:41 PM

As always, Wikipedia comes up with gold....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curt_Schilling. A pretty good bio for Curt.

I'll just qoute some notables (other than the baseball bio)....

Off the field

For the last 10 years, Schilling has been a supporter of care for ALS sufferers. His Curt's Pitch for ALS program allows fans and organizations to sponsor him, donating to the ALS Association for every strikeout he throws. He also donated to the charity his $25,000 winnings in a celebrity version of Jeopardy! that aired on November 9, 2006. In the 2004 playoffs, after the operation on his ankle, Schilling wrote "K ALS" (short for "strike out ALS") on his shoe, knowing that the cameras would be focusing on his foot numerous times while he was pitching.

Internet

He is an avid web communicator, feeling this is the best way to speak to the fans. Schilling has combined his fight against ALS with his love for EverQuest II, as the creators of the game have made Schilling a special online character. Between June 5, 2006 and June 7, 2006, fans were able to battle a virtual Curt Schilling in the game. Every time the virtual Schilling was defeated, Sony Online Entertainment donated $5 towards ALS research.[4] Later that year, it was announced he would form an online game production company called Green Monster Games, named after the Fenway left field wall.[1]

Gaming

Schilling formed a deep-rooted interest in the board wargame Advanced Squad Leader.

ASL has become his constant companion on road trips, and every National League city is now his playground for baseball at night and ASL in the day. (All of which has become a bonanza for ASL players of his acquaintance, who are sometimes Curt's guests at stadiums around the country.)[2]

Schilling's disappointment at not being able to attend the ASL Oktoberfest (an annual game convention) led him to create his own, The ASL Open, which debuted the weekend of January 15, 1993 in Houston, Texas. The Open was financed out of his own pocket. Schilling also started his own amateur publication entitled Fire for Effect, a bi-monthly featuring "some of the ASL hobby's best writers".[3]

When his favourite game was sold along with Avalon Hill to Hasbro, Schilling founded the small gaming company Multi-Man Publishing to maintain ASL and other Avalon Hill titles. He also started a new, professional publication entitled ASL Journal and contributed articles, editorials, and game scenarios.

Schilling also plays EverQuest and EverQuest II, and has reviewed two of the game's many expansion packs for PC Gamer magazine.

In 2006 Schilling created Green Monster Games.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #42 on: November 16, 2006, 02:27:16 PM

Sounds like a nice person even though I have no idea who he is.  Well, I do now because I read all that stuff about him.  I don't do baseball.   smiley   Also, isn't the big ALS research group (my mind's gone blank on the name) one of the organisations pushing for embryonic stem cell research?  I just saw something on the news about it this week.  It said in his bio that he's also a devout born again Christian.  I read that most of those organisations condemned fantasy games... they also condemn the stem cell research.  He seems unique.  I hope his company becomes GINORMOUS and makes oodles of money and keeps advocating for these important issues.  I have a seriously vested interest in seeing embryonic stem cell research restrictions lifted.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #43 on: November 16, 2006, 02:30:46 PM

Your mom's too easy.

This thread has degenerated to mom Jokes?! Let's get off the moms, cause I just got off yours cool

You are my ambassador of quan.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #44 on: November 16, 2006, 02:31:04 PM

Not a big fan since he used his new found fame of winning the World Series and decided to campaign heavily for George Bush.  undecided

Anyhow, best of luck.  New blood can't hurt... much.

-Rasix
WayAbvPar

Reply #45 on: November 16, 2006, 02:55:30 PM

Not a big fan since he used his new found fame of winning the World Series and decided to campaign heavily for George Bush.  undecided

Anyhow, best of luck.  New blood can't hurt... much.

Ditto.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Trouble
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: November 18, 2006, 03:05:05 AM

Apparently he's really hardcore into EQ2, or at least he was like 8 months ago. Some guy who used to be in my WoW guild said he was in Curt's guild on EQ2. He said it was a hardcore raiding guild and Curt was an officer. He said they planned their raiding schedule around when Curt was available or something like that, pretty funny.
edlavallee
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: November 18, 2006, 06:51:00 AM

Shilling is a classy guy and one of those "hero" type people that you want your kids looking up to instead of the general douchebags that tend to be highly visible like Terrell Owens. It's too bad that people like him are the exception rather than the rule.

And for those of you who can't differentiate between the quality of a person and the direction of their politics, you are as guilty of single focus ignorance as the fascists you vilify.

Zipper Zee - space noob
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: November 18, 2006, 06:56:37 AM

Seems like a good thing. Unlike the hired faces that push MMOGs, Curt has always felt actually into it to me, from his EQ1 days. If I recall, he was playing EQ1 for awhile before SOE even had identified him as a player to use in advertising.

I don't know how much of that is lore vs fact, but if it allows him to make a new MMOG and to attract good solid developers, then it almost doesn't matter if he was really a true player or not. There is no I in team :)
Etro
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: November 18, 2006, 07:49:01 AM

Internet

He is an avid web communicator, feeling this is the best way to speak to the fans. Schilling has combined his fight against ALS with his love for EverQuest II, as the creators of the game have made Schilling a special online character. Between June 5, 2006 and June 7, 2006, fans were able to battle a virtual Curt Schilling in the game. Every time the virtual Schilling was defeated, Sony Online Entertainment donated $5 towards ALS research.[4] Later that year, it was announced he would form an online game production company called Green Monster Games, named after the Fenway left field wall.[1]

I take it the character suffered perma-death?  NDA

Edited: cause im a forum noob
Blackguard
Developers

38 Studios

Reply #50 on: November 22, 2006, 08:55:34 AM

Hey guys. I did mention that I'm working at GMG in another thread a little bit ago, but I figured this is a more appropriate place to comment. In short, Green Monster Games is the freaking dream for any game developer. I count myself incredibly lucky to be involved, and being able to work with the likes of R.A. Salvatore, Todd McFarlane, and Curt Schilling is awesome. I'll sound biased when I say this, but Curt is an amazing person. He's one of those people who has the passion and energy that is infectious (not a surprise since he's a baseball pitcher), and he's an absolutely great person. I haven't had the chance to talk to Todd on my own just yet, but R.A. is a man of equal character to Curt and even invited me to Thanksgiving at his place since I don't have family out here.

In short, GMG is the exact atmosphere that everyone in this industry wants to work in. Because of all the positive energy and the attitudes and talent of everyone from the top down, I expect this company to produce something incredible.

I look forward to bouncing around GMG speak on the forums here in the future, but for now I'm leaving "politically correct company" mode and going back to "Grouchy Gnome" mode.

Ryan "Blackguard" Shwayder
Game Designer at 38 Studios
Custodian of the Nerfbat
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #51 on: November 22, 2006, 08:56:52 AM

Just tell us what damn game you are working on.  :-D

WayAbvPar

Reply #52 on: November 22, 2006, 09:46:46 AM

You KNOW it will prominently involve Drizz't, don't you?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #53 on: November 22, 2006, 09:52:33 AM

Whatever, I'm buying this game.
Arrrgh
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: November 22, 2006, 10:22:00 AM

Green Monster Games is the freaking dream for any game developer.

Sadly, the first thing that came to mind there were those Olympic dream teams from the USA...that lose.

geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #55 on: November 22, 2006, 10:25:12 AM

I'd better be hearing you developers working on games instead of having wild keggers and burning your development budget on expensive penthouse suites.  G.M.G. is too close to G.O.D. for my liking.  You guys might be the last chance to make PC games worth playing before I have to roll up my sleeves and do it myself.  Also, my humility can move mountains.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 10:29:41 AM by geldonyetich »

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #56 on: November 22, 2006, 10:35:06 AM

Oh you pack of curmudgeonly grandmas, cut Blackguard some slack and congratulate him. He's one of the good guys, in my book.

To me its clear that the MMO industry has been laboring under the yoke of corporate greed in its attempts to emulate WoW's numbers, and any enterprise that actually provides the developers the freedom to operate out from under a management bent on lucre has my 3 thumbs up.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #57 on: November 22, 2006, 10:43:58 AM

Oh, I congratulate him for finding a good development team he's excited to work with, I just don't want him to get complacent.   evil

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #58 on: November 22, 2006, 10:58:31 AM

Hey guys. I did mention that I'm working at GMG in another thread a little bit ago, but I figured this is a more appropriate place to comment. In short, Green Monster Games is the freaking dream for any game developer. I count myself incredibly lucky to be involved, and being able to work with the likes of R.A. Salvatore, Todd McFarlane, and Curt Schilling is awesome. I'll sound biased when I say this, but Curt is an amazing person. He's one of those people who has the passion and energy that is infectious (not a surprise since he's a baseball pitcher), and he's an absolutely great person. I haven't had the chance to talk to Todd on my own just yet, but R.A. is a man of equal character to Curt and even invited me to Thanksgiving at his place since I don't have family out here.

In short, GMG is the exact atmosphere that everyone in this industry wants to work in. Because of all the positive energy and the attitudes and talent of everyone from the top down, I expect this company to produce something incredible.

I look forward to bouncing around GMG speak on the forums here in the future, but for now I'm leaving "politically correct company" mode and going back to "Grouchy Gnome" mode.

I am glad you are psyched, but who is reposnsible for handing out reality pills at GMG? Passion with the substantial financial backing of a famous athlete only gets you passion with the substantial financial backing of a famous athlete.

Don't mind me. I am just envious.

I have never played WoW.
Blackguard
Developers

38 Studios

Reply #59 on: November 22, 2006, 11:45:49 AM

I am glad you are psyched, but who is reposnsible for handing out reality pills at GMG? Passion with the substantial financial backing of a famous athlete only gets you passion with the substantial financial backing of a famous athlete.

We have folks in house handling that whole "business" side of things too. Luckily, that's not me. However, I do like to help handing out reality checks for crazy ideas or serving as an anchor for people whose heads are in the clouds. I wouldn't be half as excited about this project as I am if I wasn't confident in our ability to operate at the top level in all facets. Basically, it's handled, and I don't even have to worry about it.

Also, I've probably already said too much, so don't probe!

Ryan "Blackguard" Shwayder
Game Designer at 38 Studios
Custodian of the Nerfbat
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: November 22, 2006, 11:51:30 AM

I hope that includes a legal department the size of Wisconsin or that he has a signoff from the sox ownership and MLB on the name of the company. My first thought was a lawsuit.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #61 on: November 22, 2006, 12:18:25 PM

Rock on Blackguard. Rock on! Bring the massive gaming noise.

Once it's done of course. Not before. Otherwise we'll tear you apart like the slavering pack of hyenas we are. :)
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #62 on: November 22, 2006, 01:25:28 PM

Good Luck! (again)  It's nice you found a job you can enjoy.  Sorry about the ensuing probing! 

(You know we just can't help it!)

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #63 on: November 22, 2006, 01:25:56 PM

We have folks in house handling that whole "business" side of things too. Luckily, that's not me. However, I do like to help handing out reality checks for crazy ideas or serving as an anchor for people whose heads are in the clouds. I wouldn't be half as excited about this project as I am if I wasn't confident in our ability to operate at the top level in all facets. Basically, it's handled, and I don't even have to worry about it.

Also, I've probably already said too much, so don't probe!

Now that is the answer of a true professional.  You got my attention.

By the way, EQ2 is great. Thanks for your work there.

I have never played WoW.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #64 on: November 22, 2006, 01:40:14 PM

I loved you and Moorgard sincerely (except when you ignored my ingame unique arena event. That was a BLAST you... you... grrrr).
I would prophetise a gloomy future for EQ2 now if it weren't for Owlchick, and I really think you saved the game more than once. Different people in your spot and EQ2 would be history by now.
I wish you all the best and I am actually looking forward to any community where you two are involved. Let us know, and if you ever come to ViklasLand just shout "Pvp!". I should spawn in 1 to 3 minutes bearing candies, alcohol and a ghettoblaster.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #65 on: November 22, 2006, 04:52:14 PM

You're Swedish, goddammit!  That must be why my eyes go all squinty when you post. 

Why didn't someone tell me?  Why?   cry

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #66 on: November 22, 2006, 04:55:26 PM

You're Swedish, goddammit!  That must be why my eyes go all squinty when you post. 

No I am not. But I am as Swedish as HRose...  :)

P.S: Want me to use a bigger font? Cause I can.. I assure you.

Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: November 22, 2006, 06:37:25 PM

You KNOW it will prominently involve Drizz't, don't you?
Can I kill him? Because that's up there with shooting Ewoks.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #68 on: November 22, 2006, 07:11:28 PM

No I am not. But I am as Swedish as HRose...  :)

P.S: Want me to use a bigger font? Cause I can.. I assure you.

Oh, well, nevermind then.

Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: December 07, 2006, 01:11:34 PM

Looks like GMG has announced some more pillaging and plundering of SOE talent....I guess with Blackguard and Moorguard on board, they have a good idea on who to pick up in this MLB-like Free agent bonanza.

Maynard , MA . – December 6, 2006 - Green Monster Games, LLC (GMG), a company dedicated to producing innovative massively multiplayer online games (MMOs), today announces that Scott Cuthbertson has been appointed Vice President of Creative Development. Cuthbertson will oversee GMG's internal creative design process, working closely with creative visionaries Todd McFarlane and R.A. Salvatore to bring their unique and unprecedented vision to life.

“Scott Cuthbertson has a proven track record of developing successful games with a global appeal. Drawing such talent from a source like Disney brings something very special to our company. Signing Scott to our team broadens GMG's capabilities as a game studio and raises the bar for creative contributions,” said Curt Schilling, founder of the recently launched online game company based in Maynard , MA . “We are honored that he has accepted our offer to lead the creative talent at GMG.”

In his 15+ years of experience in production management and creative direction in the videogame industry, Cuthbertson has specialized in managing high-profile properties for the world's largest entertainment companies, including Disney, Warner Bros., Vivendi Universal, and Nintendo. His credits include games based on such renowned properties as J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings ™ , Namco's Ridge Racer ™ , Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean ™ , and TSR/Wizards of the Coast's Advanced Dungeons & Dragons ™ .

“The vision of Green Monster Games is to build a company driven by creative ideas, a strong team dynamic, and a single-minded focus on pushing the boundaries,” said Cuthbertson. “It's a privilege to have been chosen to oversee the formation of the creative foundation of GMG, and I am quite frankly in awe of the team that is coming together from all corners of the creative world – whether it's from videogames, film, novels, comics, toys, music... wherever. This team is unified in its goal to craft an exceptional MMO gaming experience.”

Today GMG also announces other additions to its creative team:

Billy Ahlswede joins GMG as a Senior Character Artist. Ahlswede comes from Sony Online Entertainment. With 6 years of experience in the games industry, he has worked on Untold Legends™ Dark Kingdom™ for the PlayStation®3, NBA 05 (PSP®), NBA 06 (PSP®), and NBA 07 (PS3) . Prior to SOE, Ahlswede worked with Breakaway Games.

Josh Singh joins GMG as a Senior Character Artist. Singh is an award-winning character artist with 11 shipped titles during his time in the games industry. He comes to GMG from Sony Online Entertainment. Prior to SOE, Singh was with Iron Lore Entertainment.

Niraj Desai joins GMG as a Senior Animator. Desai's career in games began with Sony Online Entertainment in 2002. He helped ship PlanetSide®, PlanetSide® Core Combat™, PlanetSide® Aftershock , EverQuest® II , EverQuest® II Desert of Flames™, EverQuest® II Kingdom of Sky™, EverQuest® II Echoes of Faydwer™ , and Untold Legends™ Dark Kingdom™ for the PlayStation®3.

Damarcus Holbrook joins GMG as a Senior Environment Artist. Over the past 6 years, Holbrook has created zones for many games in the MMO and first-person-shooter worlds. His environments can be seen in Valve Corporation's Half-Life® 2 , EA Games™ From Russia With Love™ , and in Sony Online Entertainment's Untold Legends™ Dark Kingdom ™ for the PlayStation®3. Holbrook was previously an environment artist in the film industry, having worked on League of Extraordinary Gentlemen for Big Red Pixel.

All new employees will be working out of GMG's Maynard , MA headquarters.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 55 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Schilling's Green Monster Games  
Jump to: