Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 01:40:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Schilling's Green Monster Games 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 55 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Schilling's Green Monster Games  (Read 635504 times)
gehrig38
Developers

Green Monster Games

Reply #105 on: February 08, 2007, 10:32:56 AM

Bigger offense meaning what? More offensive because it was a cool story? Awesome characters?
I'm a Salvatore fan so I'll be defending the work since I love it but I am not sure what the 'offense' was?
And if you are one of those people that think George Lucas allowed R.A. to kill Chewie because he felt like it then you should do some research on the franchise. Nothing happens in the Star Wars universe that the big guy doesn't order or give his stamp on first.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: February 08, 2007, 11:02:11 AM

I think that's fairly common knowledge. But I always felt allowing Chewie to be killed was specifically to jumpstart the New Jedi Order book series that followed Vector Prime (though really was started by Zahn). It wasn't a cheap death by any means (good cause, no other way, etc). But like it shocked Han in the book ("I thought there was a bubble around us all"), it shocked the fans too.

He was still B-team (I imagine some would disagree with that) though, so it was like Anakin II dying later in the series. Some characters are just untouchable and probably always will be (Luke, Han, even Mara, etc). But others could be fodder for future such marketing/PR pushes (Lando, C-3PO, etc).
gehrig38
Developers

Green Monster Games

Reply #107 on: February 08, 2007, 11:05:19 AM

But the irony is that even knowing that Mr Lucas controls the franchise, people think R.A. is a sellout or to blame for Chewie dying.
I just know the guy can write, knows how to create iconic characters people care about and create stories that can get you to the edge of your seat. Good stuff.

WayAbvPar

Reply #108 on: February 08, 2007, 11:44:55 AM

Bigger offense meaning what? More offensive because it was a cool story? Awesome characters?
I'm a Salvatore fan so I'll be defending the work since I love it but I am not sure what the 'offense' was?

The Drizz't stuff in particular was the worst kind of munchkin wet dream crap. It has done more damage to the common view of the D&D worlds than anything I can think of offhand. It reads like it was outlined by a 12 year old with a satchel full of source books and way too much free time.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
turrican
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: February 08, 2007, 11:53:10 AM

Turrican!  I used to play you on the Amiga.  I think you're still in the back of the cupboard. 

Yeah - and that's where I would have stayed, but the temptation to make a bad pun was just too great..
gehrig38
Developers

Green Monster Games

Reply #110 on: February 08, 2007, 11:55:48 AM

Do me one quick favor so I can respond to your post. Throw a quick snippet of your published stuff so I can see what you have as comparisons.
If you aren't a fan that's cool. But as someone who's most likely never published anything, ever, your comments about his writings are about as useful as suntan lotion to an eskimo.

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: February 08, 2007, 12:00:02 PM

I'm sure you didn't come here to argue that R.A. is a good author or not. It's the internet, this will go nowhere...I think it's noble of you to defend your friend. But one does not have to have written a book to appreciate good literature.

Instead, lets hear about your pitch for the game of the future.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 12:02:49 PM by Furiously »

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #112 on: February 08, 2007, 12:00:47 PM

Do me one quick favor so I can respond to your post. Throw a quick snippet of your published stuff so I can see what you have as comparisons.
If you aren't a fan that's cool. But as someone who's most likely never published anything, ever, your comments about his writings are about as useful as suntan lotion to an eskimo.

I'm not sure that line of reasoning really has any wings. Art critics are rarely artists.  Movie critics probably haven't even put anything up on YouTube.  Yet both can make critical assessment and give their impressions on what they've seen.

Most people here couldn't program "Hello, World" but there seems to be a decent amount of criticism for what has happened and what is happening in the game industry. 

Those that can't do.. "review". 

Edit: I'll give you this; I'm really not sure what people bagging on Salvatore here hope to get for a response.  "OMG, I've seen the light. Now where's that number for Steven Erickson I seem to have misplaced?"?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 12:02:39 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
gehrig38
Developers

Green Monster Games

Reply #113 on: February 08, 2007, 12:15:38 PM

My point was this. You aren't a fan of R.A.'s that fine, say so if you feel like it. But elaborating on it smacks of the 400 pd hairy guy in the bleachers who goes far north of just yelling you suck at me when I am pitching and starts saying "He's terrible, his curveball is flat, he doesn't work hard enough, etc. etc.".
It's stupid and has no foundation, he has no clue what he's talking about.
You want to character assassinate someone that's written as many books as he has, sold over 15 million books in the US alone, been on the NYT and WSJ best seller lists, at least have one ounce of credibility to do it. Otherwise your posts become vapor.
These forums are here, I think, to exchange ideas, hear feedback, give input and whatever. Forums like this one, and this topic, are to discuss, I would think, our point of view, your opinions on our points of view, and at some point in the future our game(s).
At least that's why I come by places like this, every now and then people get into great conversations that something useful can be gleaned from.
When the guy screaming from the bleachers starts getting too loud these places become a lot less informative and end up being less frequented.
Ya, R.A. is a friend, and a good one, but he's also one of the better people in the _world_ at what he does, that's proven. I was a fan long before I was a friend so I'd have posted my response regardless of the friendship.

WayAbvPar

Reply #114 on: February 08, 2007, 12:18:14 PM

Quote from: gehrig38 on Today at 11:55:48 AM

So because I haven't published (other than a snippet in Lum's book in which I overlooked a typo when I proofed it! Doh), I am not allowed to have an opinion? The same standards must go for all the folks who love him then, right?

I am not a writer. I am a reader. I have read thousands of books, and several hundred in the fantasy genre. I found Mr. Salvatore's books to be among the worst of the genre (along with Rose Estes...yikes). Just as it probably drives his fans crazy to hear criticisms of him, it drives me crazy to hear people praising him. Just thought I would balance things out a bit.

Doesn't mean I won't check out what GMG has to offer if and when something comes around. It certainly means that I am not in the market for any Salvatore books in the near future, however.

Also- I am guessing Eskimos will be begging for suntan lotion inside 100 years if we don't get off our asses and do something about climate change, but that is a whole different argument  evil

Edit- gehrig38 posted while I was writing- Sometimes the 400 pound guy is right. Maybe you are really hurting and can't pitch effectively that day, but are still trying to help your team. The end results are the same; you get shelled. Doesn't take an MVP to realize when an athlete makes a mistake, just like it doesn't take a writer or professional critic to have an opinion about a writer. I can't get into the guy's head, all I can comment on is the final product, be it a grand slam or an uninspired book series.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 12:22:48 PM by WayAbvPar »

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
schild
Administrator

Reply #115 on: February 08, 2007, 12:33:32 PM

Look, it's easy. Can he make the story in an MMOG compelling? No one has done it yet. No one.

So, can he?

Good intentions don't a good story make.

Edit: And trust me, I'd like to believe someone can.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #116 on: February 08, 2007, 01:08:19 PM

Frankly, its high time the MMO industry took advantage of Fantasy writer talent out there. RA Salvatore is a good bet, since desptie WAP's personal dislike of him, he obviously make stories lot of people like.

I for one am delighted that Salvatore is involved, because as Schild states, there's an apalling lack of decent plots or backstories in MMOs these days. WAP may think Salvatore is derivative, but what I think he has a problem with is the fan base, rather than the novels themselves. Remember, Salvatore just wrote them. That they became wildly popular and the basis for all sorts of after market material and further writings by not so talented authors is hardly his doing. Its like calling Tolkein 'uninspired' because we're already so familiar with his world.

Also, I don't blame Curt for going ballistic against the rather acid snipe agains RA Salvatore; from all accounts, Salvatore is a very decent and good natured human being that doesn't deserve to be credited with 'the worst kind of damage to D&D' and to be called a 12 year old.

WAP forgets that he simply wrote the books. His success, if anything, is an indication that millions are out to ruin WAP's D&D experience, another problem altogether.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
WayAbvPar

Reply #117 on: February 08, 2007, 01:16:57 PM

In my defense, I thought they were crap when I read them 15-20 years ago. I didn't learn to fully loathe his fans until Ultima Online, where every other goddamned character was Drizz't or Raistlin. I haven't read anything of his since then, so he very well may be capable of crafting something interesting for a game. I am certainly going to check it out when the time comes.

Edit- typo. I love to interchange 'to' and 'the' randomly for no apparent reason.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 01:25:54 PM by WayAbvPar »

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: February 08, 2007, 01:17:23 PM

Compelling plots get players through a game the first time. But the persistence of MMO requires a lot more content than any single compelling storyline can deliver. It's not writing a story. It's writing way many concurrent stories that can be compelling both in momentary chunks and in aggregate, both at launch and years later, both alone and in large groups.

But the irony is that even knowing that Mr Lucas controls the franchise, people think R.A. is a sellout or to blame for Chewie dying.
I just know the guy can write, knows how to create iconic characters people care about and create stories that can get you to the edge of your seat. Good stuff.
Exactly. I actually like R.A. Salvatore's writing style, but that's partly because I don't have a maniacal fanaticism about whatever Lore he's writing for at the time. I love Star Wars, but given how GL ignores the rules defined by the EU content anyway, fans really should have no choice but to take everything with a grain of salt. Speaking of Chewbacca, one can't help but compare the world of Kashyyyk as defined by the book and then it as defined by the movie. Or the origin of Boba Fett. Or the revisionist history of Anakin, Obi-Wan's master, the rules for Sith, and so on.

It's all good. I prefer a good story over lockstep adherence to some fan's idea of rules.

However, at the same time, not having build something doesn't mean people shouldn't be allowed to critique it. Otherwise, there'd be no review industry at all, and no MMO community anyway :) People just need to draw the line between honest critique and character assasination. But honestly, I feel the latter generally comes from a Western tendency at hyperbole to make a point. It's never good enough to say "it sucks, and here's why". To get any attention ya almost need to say "they caused the end of the world and only I hold the key to redemption!"
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #119 on: February 08, 2007, 01:22:57 PM

A good storyteller in a MMOG would feature the world as the central character since the behavior of the players wouldn't be under their control.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 01:30:18 PM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
WayAbvPar

Reply #120 on: February 08, 2007, 01:29:06 PM

I don't think a storyteller is needed so much as someone with a distinct, interesting world. Unless your game was less Diku MMOG and more MP RTS and based on character interactions (like diplomacy, regicide, etc). As DQ mentioned, the story is only fresh once, but the world and how a player interacts with it can keep things interesting even after you know the basic plot.

CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #121 on: February 08, 2007, 01:31:05 PM

But elaborating on it smacks of the 400 pd hairy guy in the bleachers who goes far north of just yelling you suck at me when I am pitching and starts saying "He's terrible, his curveball is flat, he doesn't work hard enough, etc. etc.".

In my defense, it's more like 210 lbs and not hairy.  Also, if I'm in teh bleachers telling you that you suck, it's because the BoSox are playing the Cubs in interleague play.  I also tell right field that they suck, so really, you're just one of the many victims of my drunken bleacher ire.

If your game sucks, I think all of those people paid to review it will say so regardless of whether they've coded a game before.  Maybe your coding will be better than your curveball.   wink

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: February 08, 2007, 01:36:25 PM

A good storyteller in a MMOG would feature the world as the central character since the behavior of the players wouldn't be under their control.

It had better be a world where most people have names that rhyme with penis and killing the same dragon every day for two years is somehow a rational activity if you really want the players to feel like they fit in.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #123 on: February 08, 2007, 01:38:17 PM

Wow.  This guy's coming out swinging.  Look out everyone.

CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #124 on: February 08, 2007, 01:44:27 PM

Wow.  This guy's coming out swinging.  Look out everyone.

S'ok, everyone knows pitchers can't hit.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #125 on: February 08, 2007, 01:46:22 PM

My point was this. You aren't a fan of R.A.'s that fine, say so if you feel like it. But elaborating on it smacks of the 400 pd hairy guy in the bleachers who goes far north of just yelling you suck at me when I am pitching and starts saying "He's terrible, his curveball is flat, he doesn't work hard enough, etc. etc.".

Welcome to f13.

Fans may be stupid, loudmouthed jackasses much of the time, but that doesn't mean we can't bullshit about what we think amongst ourselves, or throw darts at the objects of our fandom.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: February 08, 2007, 01:47:05 PM

What is the assumption about who gehrig is?
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: February 08, 2007, 01:54:52 PM

I have no idea who Drizzt is, and yes this whole line of conversation is stupid.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
WayAbvPar

Reply #128 on: February 08, 2007, 01:57:42 PM

I have no idea who Drizzt is, and yes this whole line of conversation is stupid.

You have no idea how lucky you are  :-D :-D

Ok, I am done taking cheap shots.

For now.

CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #129 on: February 08, 2007, 02:04:31 PM

Look at his email addy. 

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #130 on: February 08, 2007, 02:35:27 PM

This thread went all funny.  At least now I know who Drizzit and Curt Schilling are.  I'm going to assume there will be elves.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Meghan
Developers

Turbine

Reply #131 on: February 08, 2007, 02:42:03 PM

This thread went all funny.  At least now I know who Drizzit and Curt Schilling are.  I'm going to assume there will be elves.
And sewers and giant rats. No game is complete without sewers and giant rats!

-Meghan
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #132 on: February 08, 2007, 03:03:16 PM

Jebsus.. if that's the response to a throw-away comment about a munchkin character (he's a title character, they're ALL munchkins)  that's emulated by so many other people with lack of imagination. (Thus the hate for said fans & the character by proxy.)  Then GMG REALLLLLY needs to stay away from any public boards once they've actually got something going.

Or get some thicker skin.

No, really.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Xilren's Twin

Reply #133 on: February 08, 2007, 03:10:32 PM

You want to character assassinate someone that's written as many books as he has, sold over 15 million books in the US alone, been on the NYT and WSJ best seller lists, at least have one ounce of credibility to do it. Otherwise your posts become vapor.

Firstly welcome to F13.

Secondly, you seem to be making the mistake of equating popularity with objective quality.  It's not uncommon, but if you are going to be in the mmorpg market you'd better understand the difference between designing for a niche and designing for the masses.  In many ways, that exactly what RA does; targets the LCD high fantasy/sci-fi market with his books and obviously he has been a commercial success because of that.  But that is a very different animal than saying just because his book sell well everyone should the quality of his writing is great.  In the opinion of many here (at least), it's just a little too juvenile to enjoy, or we enjoy for what it is.  It's the McDonalds equivalent of fantasy books.

But that's neither here nor there.  What we really care about here is not sports, or books, but games.

So, is your goal to make the next big budget summer blockbuster style game ala WoW, or are you more aiming for the critically acclaimed but smaller market success of a niche title?  :)
Please note, pvp design often become a big determining factor in that....   

I hope you hang around and continue to post about your game and company, but, i would suggest toning down the knee jerk reactions.  Very little is taken seriously and criticism is the order of the day, often wrapped in vitriol.  It our "style" as it were.  Read around and get a feel for the place and a little thicker skin and you'll enjoy it more.  It only hurts the first time...

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: February 08, 2007, 03:29:49 PM

AOL is the best ISP in the history of the world.

They had like 50 million subscribers!

You can't go wrong with AOL!

The Red Sox are obviously better than the Diamondbacks. How many games have the D-backs played? Psssssssssssh. Wannabes.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: February 08, 2007, 03:56:53 PM

Ha ha, I like the analogy of a fat guy in the stands, even though I don't agree with the logic.

No matter what you do, somebody isn't going to like it. No matter who you are, somebody isn't going to like you. Not worth worrying about. As someone posted earlier, misanthropes dwell here! And curve here is graded to a D. If someone doesn't call your game the worst game ever you are doing ok.

---

As far as GMG goes, there really isn't much to talk about yet. People with fresh perspectives could be interesting. McFarlane has an eye for popular and interesting designs as well as quality - McFarlane toys changed the face of the toy industry and old school action figures look downright prehistoric by comparison.

Until some gameplay details or key team members are announced most of what you will hear is idle speculation and nattering. It seems too early to have much in the way of useful discussion other than 'good luck' at this point.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: February 08, 2007, 05:51:39 PM

Look at his email addy. 
I refuse to believe!

Quote from: Xilren's Twin
In the opinion of many here (at least), it's just a little too juvenile to enjoy, or we enjoy for what it is.  It's the McDonalds equivalent of fantasy books.
Yes, but it's that same sort of eilitist outlook that resulted in the collective bitchslap Blizzard gave this industry, the sort of point of view that can hinder understanding on why something has struck a cord with the masses, and can result in a condescending view of something that was leading edge and then transitioned into mainstream (indie bands, the iPod, most trends, etc).

Art critique is the vernacular of those doing the critiquing. You may be right about the opinion of many here part, but casting a derogatory reference is exclusionary, the very essence of the closed mind. Not saying YOU have a closed mind. I don't know you that well :) Just saying that's the easy perception for an outsider.

I don't know anything about GMG, and I honestly don't care yet until they've got something to discuss. But I do hate to see categorizations of things driven by a self-indulgent need for some to be "above it all". Screw that noise.

Windows, AOL, WoW. If Apple, Compuserve and SOE had their way, the world would be dominated by small groups of ego-stroked easily pliable pissant fanbois, with the rest of the masses looking upon them with wonder. That's bullshit. This whole conversation wouldn't be possible without companies who took unique things and tossed in the sort of resources needed to have them done right for the masses, both in execution and delivery. We could argue "right" all day long, but that's Betamax vs VHS. In the end, a group that thought the less-successful thing was "better" are probably measuring it with some rule only relevant to them (was the picture on Betamax better? Yes. Was the consumer fine with the more available VHS? Well, considering the earliest adopters were the ones who wanted to pay the least amount for them, yes).

Sorry for the rant, but I gotta play Mass Market Evangelist sometimes. Without them, you don't get the WoWs. And without the WoWs, you don't get the old guard like SOE to change their screw-the-consumer policies.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: February 08, 2007, 07:40:44 PM

Welcome to f13.

Fans may be stupid, loudmouthed jackasses much of the time, but that doesn't mean we can't bullshit about what we think amongst ourselves, or throw darts at the objects of our fandom.
Should I have mentioned the necessity for a hardhat and thick skin when visiting in my welcome post? undecided

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #138 on: February 08, 2007, 08:40:47 PM

Sorry for the rant, but I gotta play Mass Market Evangelist sometimes. Without them, you don't get the WoWs. And without the WoWs, you don't get the old guard like SOE to change their screw-the-consumer policies.

There are no "WoWs". There is only one WoW. And if that is mass market, then good luck on seeing it again. It's tremendously expensive for anybody to do, and tremendously expensive to have the influential, industry wide effect you think it will. In the end, it's no model to follow except for Blizzard themselves.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: February 08, 2007, 10:00:52 PM

Certainly the "don't put out an unfinished, sucky game" is a model that *can* be followed. Maybe not with as much content or sales, but the general approach is very transferable.

People still aren't getting it. Look at Vanguard, the opinions of it are almost universally the same. "Some good ideas, a lot of bugs and poor execution."

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 55 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Schilling's Green Monster Games  
Jump to: