Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:20:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars  |  Topic: Nightfall PvE vs Original PvE 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Nightfall PvE vs Original PvE  (Read 49449 times)
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: December 04, 2006, 01:39:25 PM

So - they do have some interesting missions. One requires that you take no henchmen.

You have to solo 8 harpies. (To win the mission)

To get the extra skill points you need to:
Battle a mime. (He /dances you /dance back, basically it's Simon says in emotes).
Re-inact a historical duel (Simple fight)
Have a drink off - drink 13 drinks in 1 minute or so. (Run around with your screen getting harder and harder to see)
Kill/Buy/Trade for a antique Vase
Teach a kid to dance.

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: December 04, 2006, 02:34:50 PM

That mission was pretty cool.. and surprisingly doable for every type of character incl. my squishy elementalist [though you may need to fiddle around with the builds for a bit].

However, the 2nd last Nightfall mission pissed me [and the guildies I was doing it with] off. It basically requires you/heroes/party members to use several obscure skills to beat it, and the most useful one is from Factions. If you have the correct builds, the boss fight at the end is trivial, but otherwise it's almost unbeatable.

If the entire mission was a single boss fight, I wouldn't really mind -- but you need to clear about 50-60 minutes worth of stuff before you get to that particular boss too. Ugh. I'm all for challenging fights [the 45 minute Baron run from WOW is still one of my favorites], but that one boss is just stupidly frustrating, and a lot harder than NF's end boss.

-- Z.

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: December 05, 2006, 09:29:19 AM

I was not real impressed with the drought either. Ticked me off that melee was worthless against him for the most part.

It's frightening that I consider the henchmen smarter then your average player now. Got in a group to do it, everyong agreed to get the master, then someone goes and hits a lever. "Oh I didn't know what it did and saw I could click it".

That being said, I grabbed one tank henchie and the rest ranged, gave myself ranger as my secondary (for winter) and beat it with no problem, (I failed like 4 times with a couple melee henchies).

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: December 05, 2006, 10:36:44 AM

Ah, I don't mean the Drought [though that was nasty as well, we thought we could pull it off by not weakening him for the bonus; *BZZZZZZZZZT* wrong!], I mean a mission further into the game... you'll see. :p

-- Z.

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: December 05, 2006, 01:45:19 PM

Ah, I don't mean the Drought [though that was nasty as well, we thought we could pull it off by not weakening him for the bonus; *BZZZZZZZZZT* wrong!], I mean a mission further into the game... you'll see. :p

-- Z.
Trick to him is spreading people out and getting a winter on the ground asap.

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: December 07, 2006, 05:23:01 AM

It's frightening that I consider the henchmen smarter then your average player now. Got in a group to do it, everyong agreed to get the master, then someone goes and hits a lever. "Oh I didn't know what it did and saw I could click it".

If I could splatter this across the sky I would. No shit, everytime I start feeling like the world has some inkling of hope (see: November election) all I have to do is log onto Guild Wars and see one million of those apes to have my heart snap back to reality. Those are the people that are going to take care of the world when I retire. Dear God, we're lost. How so much stupid has concentrated in one place is a mystery.
dwindlehop
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: December 18, 2006, 02:58:46 PM

Somebody school me. If I'm thinking about picking up this or NWN2, which should I get? Either way, I'm going to play it single-player. I probably won't replay it. I might dick around online, but probably not much. Mostly I just want to pick up the shiny and eviscerate some monsters.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #42 on: December 18, 2006, 03:14:15 PM

Have you played Guild Wars already? Or you just asking about Nightfall specifically?

Either way, it's best to stay away from NWN2. For now at least (Story wise though, it's better than Nightfall).

[edit]

Also, Guild Wars is online. There's no way you can "dick around" with it offline.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 03:16:31 PM by Stray »
dwindlehop
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: December 18, 2006, 05:53:48 PM

Ok, replace 'online' with 'in a group.' I was under the impression that heroes made the game soloable in a way previous GWs weren't.

I've never played any GW before. Nightfall would be my only box, if I picked it up..
hal
Terracotta Army

Damn kids, get off my lawn!

Reply #44 on: December 18, 2006, 06:45:18 PM

OK DW, I will chime in here. PVE The henchmen are much better now. You can solo (online) much better than you could before. There may be a mission or so that you will need to group. If you thought that WOW player base was immature you have a lesson to learn. The game is free. Buy the box play forever. The community is beyond belief. Really until you've been there you cant believe how many smart 5 year olds there are in America. Oh and nightfall is the much better option in my humbale option.

I started with nothing, and I still have most of it

I'm not a complete idiot... Some parts are still on backorder.
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #45 on: December 18, 2006, 07:57:27 PM

Really until you've been there you cant believe how many smart 5 year olds there are in America.

Not that smart.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: December 20, 2006, 07:51:34 PM

Really until you've been there you cant believe how many smart 5 year olds there are in America.

Not that smart.

Walking the fine line between swallowing their own tongue every time they look up at the ceiling and remembering their log-in information, huh?

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Aranel
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: December 30, 2006, 03:47:48 PM

heh,

Nowadays, im not sure games know what PVE IS
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #48 on: December 30, 2006, 05:24:03 PM

Sure they do - they're practically all PvE focused with PvP tacked on.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Aranel
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: December 30, 2006, 05:26:15 PM

you would say that about WOW?

Sure, the quick lvl up is nearly all grinding or quests, but end game content in nearly every MMO is PvP.
Strazos

Reply #50 on: December 30, 2006, 05:33:46 PM

WoW's end game content is raiding. Plain and simple. And until recently, being primarily a (PvE) raider gave you a huge advantage in the PvP game, which is just wrong - beating the easy content of PvE should not give you a leg up in the (theoretically at least) more difficult game of killing other players.

Shadowbane, UO, Eve-Online, DAoC (I think, didn't play it much) are the only games with an honest eye towards PvP, especially as the end game content.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Aranel
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: December 30, 2006, 05:37:59 PM

I dunno... it just seems like no MMO is successful without a PvP system.
Strazos

Reply #52 on: December 30, 2006, 05:40:58 PM

EQ was fairly successful without a PvP system. And numbers aside, EQ is supposedly a much superior game to what it was at launch, and again without a true PvP system.

Also, RE: FFXI, Vanguard, CoX, etc.

Just because a game has PvP does not mean it has a real, balanced PvP system. A lot of games are simply not balanced for PvP. At all.

Fear the Backstab!
Aranel
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: December 30, 2006, 05:44:25 PM

Hmm...

Well, I suppose that's one reason why I'm looking forward to lotro online - no PvP.  Something called PvMP (monster player)

have any idea how that's worked out in other games?
Strazos

Reply #54 on: December 30, 2006, 05:59:18 PM

I've only seen it in EQ, and they only had it functioning briefly. From what I can tell from the  NDA forum, it works much better in LotRO.

Fear the Backstab!
Aranel
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: December 30, 2006, 06:07:14 PM

We'll see.  I just hope we don't get some leeroy jenkins as a balrog stuff.
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #56 on: December 31, 2006, 09:06:21 AM

CoX has PvP...

But anywho.  Was going to mention that DAoC was at least as equipment dependant as any other game, expect MAYBE Lineage 2, when it comes to success in PvP.  If you didn't have your spellcrafted gear and the right artifacts all leveled up, you might as well have gone home.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Shapechanger
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: January 03, 2007, 04:41:56 PM

Picked it up myself, recently.

To get the changes, do you have to start a Nightfall campaign or can you get the Nighfall/Hero benefits from any campaign?

Also, is there a common guild the forum has here?

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
-M.T.
Strazos

Reply #58 on: January 03, 2007, 04:43:02 PM

You might be a year or so late on the F13 GW guild thing.  evil

Fear the Backstab!
Shapechanger
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: January 03, 2007, 04:49:52 PM

lol, well what ya gonna do.  I overplayed GW so badly during Alpha that I didnt play much after release.  I have all three boxes, but have only been playing it actively a few weeks now.  Workin' on a mes/ele, trying to get up all the skills.  It's a Prophecies character though, and I am not sure if I can get heros without restarting.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
-M.T.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #60 on: January 03, 2007, 05:13:56 PM

Your choice.  Existing characters get missions to travel to the expansion lands.  New chars start there and play through a newb area and get the new professions as primary.

You get heroes either way.

"Me am play gods"
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: January 04, 2007, 10:27:04 AM

You get heroes either way.

As long as pick them up in Prophecies. (Then again there is one you can pick up in Factions - provided you have Prophecies).

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #62 on: January 04, 2007, 11:20:18 AM

http://gw.gamewikis.org/wiki/Heroes

Anyone with Nightfall can get a full set of Elonian Heroes by playing through the campaign.  There is also a Factions and a Prophecies Hero available if you own their respective campaigns in addition to Nightfall.  A non-Nightfall character basically gets 5 Heroes just for stepping foot on Elona (W,Mo,Mo,D,R|E).

« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 03:22:10 PM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
Shapechanger
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: January 05, 2007, 02:02:46 PM

Cool, thanks.  I picked up some Elona heroes, but I want Prophesies heros.  I'll go look for em, thanks for the link.

My character is Survey Says, if anyone is still playing much.  Right now a Mes/Ele with fastcasting interruptions spikes.

-M.T.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars  |  Topic: Nightfall PvE vs Original PvE  
Jump to: