Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:47:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: WW2OL gets sni3ers, grass and a sortafreetrial 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: WW2OL gets sni3ers, grass and a sortafreetrial  (Read 6784 times)
Comstar
Terracotta Army

on: July 23, 2004, 06:49:31 AM

Fireing squad did a rereview of WW2OL recently, and just put up a VERY lengthy Beginners guide to WW2OL up following the review. The FREE TRIAL is linked in the review.

1.15 patch came out, and 2 hours later, the CTDfix patch with it. The new weapon is the Axis and Allied Sniper... I mean...Anti-Tank Rifle. 500m flat shooting. You fire it like this:

Find good location. Lie down and deploy bipod. See target at 500m and fire. BOOM. Gun breaks collerbone and needs to be retargted. Enemy infantry disintergrates from a .55cal hole in thier head. Reload the next round which takes an eterenity and repeat. Redeploy bipod after 4 shots and when you stand up spend 5 minutes recovering from the effects of firing the gun. This is all historical (it was not unusal for strong soliders to have broken bones after firing a 5 shot magazine, Imagine what it can do to the enemy).

And you only have 4 snmoke grenades and a knife and can't fire the gun undeployed. Amusing knife fights between wouldbe snipers have broken out along the front.

It's a snipers paradise weapon.

'Corse it's NOT the greatest AT weapon on the planet. It will kill 95% of the british armour spawn list though, and the formally industruble 232's are now lunchmeat. Won't do a thing vs matties or IIIH's.

The new grass is low level clutter. In other words, you can turn it off. It looks a lot better than the beta pics of the early versions. I like it, and put up with the small tuffs of grass getting in my way if I drop down.

The mG bug was fixed so viky 50cals are no longer killing everything. I also have a pic from a squadmate of the new Grenades that killed a HE111 that was mearly flying nearby. How he did it I don't know.

The allies WERE winning (Had Leige/msstrict at one stage 2 weeks ago) but the introduction of the IIIH kicked the allies back 4 towns, and the last week the front's stablzied. Been a very good map so far, looks like it'll be the longest or 2nd longest campain ever.

Mostly 1.15 was mostly minor things (new AB garage, and a .fb tool probably the most useful).  DocDooc Goes over some notes last week about it and the future. He says about the free trials:
"Finally, with regards to free trials, we have 3 running right now, a French one, an Italian one, and an English one, all connected with specific game promotions in those parts of the world. We have 2 more planned to follow those, the details of which have not been announced by our markiting guy yet (but will be) and in truth, we offer free trials on a pretty frequent basis all throughout the year according to various promotional criteria. We will be running a number of such free trials of one kind or another during the remaider of this year, and I would hazard a guess, the year to follow. Beyond that is in the realms of "too far into the future" to be duscussing in any real detail now, because there is no detail we can discuss right now to cover that area of conjecture. Any new or exciting concepts or ideas regarding other types of free trial promotions are always welcomed by us and we'll follow up on any that tweak our interest or contain what we can determine is doable and suits our needs well. "

Hopefully the free trial will work for anyone interested. Some of my squad mates have tried signing up and havn't got a password yet.

Infantry:
-Added new ATR troopers for French, British and German countries
-Added Boys ATR
-Added PzB39 ATR
-Removed ability to deploy lmg/atr while standing on an enemy vehicle
-Added new sounds for ATRs
-Adjusted all rifles ammunition timeout to a minimum of 1000m(the distance at which infantry is drawn)

Vehicles:
-Added descriptions for French and German Bofors guns
-Adjusted critical components for Z34
-Adjusted flight and damage models for the Destroyer (initial pass)
-Corrected weight for 5 inch naval shell
-Fixed sound issue with Vickers
-Fixed Daimler mantlet hits causing ammo explosion
-Fixed a hitmap component in R35
-Fixed a hitmap component in SdKfz232
-Fixed collider issue which caused some rounds not to strike external components (MG/HE bug)

Terrain:
-Added new garage building
-Added new radial clutter object system (non concealing)
-Added Settings adjustments to new radial clutter objects (players can turn on/off)
-Added mipapping to clutter objects
-Added new clutter objects (concealing)
-Increased LOD range of clutter objects to 1000m
-Fixed reported problems with badly terrainized forest clumps
-Fixed reported problems with badly terrainized ground berms and ditches
-Fixed reported supply problems in towns
-Fixed reported spawn problem with FBs
-Fixed reported problems with duplicate capture tables

Global:
-Optimized pixel shader routines for improved performance
-New Settings.exe with adjustments for radial clutter
-Removed option from settings.exe to disable small clutter
-Fixed detected memory leaks

Host:
-Added ".fbs" command - similar to .own, describes who has which fbs for the current or named town
(".fbs" lists the closest town, ".fbs bergen op zoom" to list a town by name)
-Increased side lock to 2 hours
-Improved side-locking system
-Improved range for destroyed and ownership state updates
-Fixed a crash bug in the map host
-Fixed several causes for ghosted vehicles
-Fixed a cause for loss of building state updates
-Fixed tuning to "origin", "hq" and "gm" by name
-Added auto-recovery system to map host in case of additional crashes (already in place)

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Rodent
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: July 23, 2004, 07:22:35 AM

While I'm.... glad... to see you still doing free PR for WWIIOL, shouldn't this be in the gaming section?

Wiiiiii!
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #2 on: July 23, 2004, 12:40:54 PM

I don't look at it as free PR. I wait for Sir Bruce to do that one. It's nice to know what's going on in WW2OL. As I don't feel like sifting through their forums, I think it's a nice thing for com to post it here.

As for the new sniper, how badly are you hurt after you get up from using it? Red screen bad? And do you think it's going to have a bad effect on the game? Sounds to me like way too many people are using the guns if knife fights are starting AND ending. Crap, if I was a rifleman and saw two pansys dancing around with knives, I'd shoot the enemy and spend a good amount of time trying to kill my ally.

New grass - How small is the grass? I'd assume it's not to replace the brush soldiers usually hide in being that you can disable it and all.

Also, added new garage? Does this mean it's not the shit brown garage anymore?
Ezdaar
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: July 23, 2004, 01:26:00 PM

Just endurance bad, not injury from what I've seen. It's a nice sniper weapon but for all the hassle I still think one is better off using a standard rifle or LMG, especially after some practice. The ROF and kick on the ATRs are horrible.

The new clutter looks nice, CRS has also indicated a new grass and bushes system is on the way using the same SpeedTree type tech so when you're hidden in the grass it's not just on your client.

Still the best MMOS(S is for simulator) if you like that sort of thing.
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: July 23, 2004, 02:11:24 PM

How about they "simulate" the instant action button from Planetside.
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 23, 2004, 02:24:02 PM

They do, it's called Depot Spawning.

Bruce
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 23, 2004, 07:18:57 PM

Me bad, wrong fourem! Opps (feel free to move it anyone whos an admin).

I deliberty don't post these often, generally when there's a free trial and/or a major upgrade/Change.

Next big big big change will be Brigade Deployment, sheceduled for sometime before the end of the year, possibly with a new box and store rerelease (ask Bruce about that).

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #7 on: July 24, 2004, 02:57:47 AM

Quote from: SirBruce
They do, it's called Depot Spawning.

Bruce

I really don't know what instant action is like, so I can't say if it's like it or not. But, it would be really  nice to see a button that drops you in a random depot under heavy attack. If it's in, it's well hidden. Last time I played (couple months ago) my buddy and I had to search for all our  fights.
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: July 24, 2004, 08:01:47 AM

Sorta. Look at the map for a town under HOLD AT ALL COSTS (big shield, this was added only last month or so).

Or just OVERRUN, looks like a radio antenna. That means there is action aplenty.

NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #9 on: July 24, 2004, 08:15:56 AM

Ah, I shall try the trial and see what happens. If not for my RAM I'd probably be able to play that game without a problem. Oh well, got my radeon so it should look better at least.
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: July 24, 2004, 07:14:05 PM

Check the how to play guide I linked above. it goes for 20 pages of nearly everything.

Bascialy if  town is in danger of falling ANYONE can type .overrun. When enough (3 I think) people do that, a message is sent out saying "TOWN XXX IS IN DANGER OF FALLING" and trhe High Command types online at the time get sent a message to check it out.

If enough High Command players (you can see them by typing .hc) feel the town IS in danger they can call .Hold At All Costs or .Fallback.

.HAAC it is known, means all depots release the limits on the amount of infantry that can be spawned at them. This is dangerous because you can go through a LOT of infantry VERY quickly. But you might juet be able to stop the enemy attack. It's considered TOO good an option so the rats are seeeing ways they can limit it a bit.

.fallback is a bit misleadingly named. It gives the Army Base to the enemy, but opens up the FB's from friendylu towns, and moves the town's supply list to the linked towns over the next 30 minutes. Meaning if you do an IMMIDATE counter attack, the enemy won't have anything avilable to DEFEND theier captured town and you can take the town back easy.

Well, it's not so easy, but it does work occansiualy.

If you see a town with a SHIELD ICON thats a .HAAC. A RADIO TOWER is a town in danger of falling (.overrun). Only 2 towns a hour can use .HAAC or .fallback.

Rembemer a town that is CONTESTED is ussually a place opf action because with depot spawning, the enemy can now spawn a limited amout of infantry (about 40 every 20 minutes) In the enemy town...ie from 10 to 200 meters away from the other friendly held depots. The new ATR's are reported tio make lunch meat of the light armour that uisually shows up to surpress the spawnable too.

NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #11 on: July 25, 2004, 07:02:43 AM

Nice, finally something to stop the spawn camping. What rank do you need to be to use the ATR's?
The Hanged Man

Email
Reply #12 on: July 26, 2004, 12:28:50 AM

and not to be surprised the .fallback feature is being used to game the game . If the decimated town is abandoned with almost no equipment then when its recaptured it magically has all its equipment with full stocks of everything.  One side declares  .fallback on a town with no equipment left and lose the AB.  However the enemy can't spawn in the captured AB because they don't own all the depots. So they rush back and recapture the helpless AB because once fallback is declared they are now closer to town then the attackers thanks to CRStupid . Then instead of recapturing a decimated base missing most of their equipment they get rewarded for gaming the game by being given a fully supplied AB.  

Now back to people trying to paint a pig white and call it a swan
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: July 26, 2004, 06:20:33 AM

Not excatly true AFAIK. The recaptured fallbacked town still takes 40 minutes to get full resupply, but by then the original attackers are out of everyhting.

It does requires the fallbacker's to have a good plan and good teamwork to recapture the AB, and it fails nearly everytime the ALLIES try it :).

The Hanged Man

Email
Reply #14 on: July 28, 2004, 08:20:38 PM

This is why I don't bother to post. There is always some jackass who has some snide answer for eveything.  Its like CRS and Cryptic with their so-called accessible employees. You can post on the boards with issues for the CRS staff. Then the first word out of CRStupid's employees mouths is they don't take the boards seriously because only a small portion of the players post messages. Whats the point of bragging about your game staff being accessible when the first thing they post is how worthless they feel posting on the forums are.  A similar thing just happened with COH. They were braggin about how great it is for players to have access to the staff. Then one of the staff posts about how little they value the message boards because only a small number of players post. Gee I can post to company employees who are going to have a piss poor attitude towards anything I say. What a great deal! Can't get any better public relations than that.
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: July 29, 2004, 06:56:14 AM

What company/product in this world DOES do that? Seriously? Apple? DoAC? Anyone?

Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: July 29, 2004, 07:43:43 AM

Um... would you rather the devs pander to the vocal minority at the expense of everyone else?  Or are you just bitching because you feel like bitching?  I suggest the latter, especially with childish comments like 'CRStupid'.  Yeah, that is about as brilliant as using 'M$'.
Rodent
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: July 29, 2004, 04:49:11 PM

Quote from: Alluvian
Um... would you rather the devs pander to the vocal minority at the expense of everyone else?  Or are you just bitching because you feel like bitching?  I suggest the latter, especially with childish comments like 'CRStupid'.  Yeah, that is about as brilliant as using 'M$'.

Chances are, if someone is vocal about a game, they have something positive or negative to say about it. Ignoring the people who actually post concerns about the game due to the amount of posters being a minority of the players is stupid.

For example not everyone who played UO made their mark on the internet about duping, UO extreme etc. , that doesn't mean they disliked it any less.

Wiiiiii!
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: July 30, 2004, 07:38:26 AM

By all means they take it into..consideration.

And look, CRS DOES...IF you happen to play axis. Panchar? 2 weeks. DamilauerDuneBuggyofDoom? Taken off the server. SpitIXE with ther .50s? Not anymore.

EVERYtime the axis player base whines, it's changed.  Meanwhile the allies put up with with a dodgy transmisson in the Matty for MONTHS (not to mention how long it took to get so much as an AA gun while the axiswhinemark had one for 6 months).

If you want CRS to change something, redefine the problem so it impacts axis players and not allies players. It will be solved withen 3 weeks.

Arcadian Del Sol
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: July 30, 2004, 09:06:26 AM

Comstar,

Keep it up. Once upon a time, what it looks like we're now calling "unpaid promotion" was called lumthemad.net

the only problem I have with these posts is that you keep tempting me to give the game a try. Then I remember that I have BF42.

unbannable
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: July 31, 2004, 01:16:06 AM

Free trial Arc. Also this week free trials with american magaizane( WW2 History magazine and filefront) started.  If you try it for 2 weeks and don't like it much, fair enough.

The front right now is very stable 3-4 towns falling over a DAY, not every hour. Looks like the french are semi-collapsing, but the BEF is still on the Rhineland's border. CRS managered to get the timing right for once.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: WW2OL gets sni3ers, grass and a sortafreetrial  
Jump to: