Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:46:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: It's dark, you are likely to be eaten by a Grue 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: It's dark, you are likely to be eaten by a Grue  (Read 3186 times)
Murgos
Terracotta Army

on: October 07, 2006, 06:49:49 AM

I know you guys spent a lot of time on the intro adventure with escaping from the baddies and the Nazgul and all that but can we not start in the dark?

Just my personal opinion on this but your first 5 minutes in the game really need to be among the most interesting and pleasing experiences.  There should be lots of opportunity for 'Wow, Neat!'  moments with lots and lots of positive feedback.

How about something a little more 'You're the Hero' than standing behind a fence in the dark while fire scares away a Nazgul?

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 07:27:32 PM

I think the problem is that as a level 1 peon, you're really not the hero. You're more like an insect on the road.

The idea of the Nazgul encounter seems to be a bit of time and mood setting, and "oh cool! a Nazgul!" which of course will be the most interesting mob you'll see for the next 20 levels at minimum.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 09:20:31 PM

I think the problem is that as a level 1 peon, you're really not the hero. You're more like an insect on the road.

The idea of the Nazgul encounter seems to be a bit of time and mood setting, and "oh cool! a Nazgul!" which of course will be the most interesting mob you'll see for the next 20 levels at minimum.

Yeah... except that really didn't work for me when they did in KotOR either.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 03:00:30 AM

Well, KoTOR is a single-player game, so in that case you were actually the hero.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 04:01:48 PM

Most stories generally don't start with the main character being an uber Nazgul slaying hero.

Usually something bad happens, the hero escapes, then goes through a variety of experiences which either make him stronger or change him in such a way that he is later able to overcome the initial threat.

I disagree, the intro is the strongest part of the game I've yet seen.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 05:52:31 PM

I loved the intro.  The main questline is the best, most engaging part of the game.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 06:23:04 AM

Well, since the 10/12 patch at least, the intro is much, much better.  The elf/dwarf starter benefits greatly from a couple things: real iron fences instead of wooden farm fence that, well, a hobbit or horse could jump over, and the Dread Aura around the nazgul.  Much, much better.  I might add a bit of sound to the aura effect but it's a great improvement that helps you believe that you really are faced with a nazgul.

Next I am going to do the hobbit intro again and see what that is like with the aura.  I already liked that one better anyway.

I'm having a hard time believeing that Turbine built this game.  It's fucking impressive.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: It's dark, you are likely to be eaten by a Grue  
Jump to: