Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:15:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 1030 1031 [1032] 1033 1034 ... 1141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless Conversation  (Read 3400338 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #36085 on: June 15, 2017, 08:04:34 AM

And I also enjoy everyone's weird non-gaming hobbies and don't mind updating my own narcissistic art thread because two or three people read it.

I read your art thread because I've been trying to convince myself to get back into art.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #36086 on: June 15, 2017, 08:41:38 AM

I personally like everyone's weird ass hobbies.

I think a while ago we made the decision not to be bigger. We had an interview that brought in a lot of newbies, but we decided not to change for them and most didn't stick around. This was fine with me. My friend at work thought we were a bunch of assholes.  awesome, for real

We're getting older. We're not broadening our circle, and we're not drawing new people in.  Shrinkage is going to happen and just get worse over time (heh heh). I still like gaming with a majority of you when the opportunity arises. Even those that left know where to find me; I'm not going anywhere else soon.

Our gaming talk has subsided a lot because games really do SUUUUUUUCCCCKKKK right now.

Haem, you need to play Persona 5. I don't remember if you have a PS3 or not. I know you loved 3/4.

-Rasix
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #36087 on: June 15, 2017, 08:54:52 AM

I do not have a PS3/PS4 right now, but if I did, I would be all over Persona 5. I'm hoping to get a nice-paying freelance gig soon that may give me the funds for such a venture. And then it will be mine.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #36088 on: June 15, 2017, 10:08:42 AM

I remember a couple of years ago when the Corpnews forum had dwindled to about 10 people. The guy running the site invited a whole load of new people in to revitalize it. I think the experiment lasted a couple of weeks before the old crew rebelled and demanded that the new kids get off their lawn. I don't think that forum exists anymore.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #36089 on: June 15, 2017, 10:19:57 AM

I really liked our most recent frontpage experiment.  But then I was the one writing about half the content so I think I was the only one.   cry

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #36090 on: June 15, 2017, 11:31:15 AM

I don't know that you can even still attract people to a message board anymore just by writing stuff and not having a podcast or a youtube/twitch channel, and a twitter presence, and who has the time for all that shit. I'm sure most of us have stuff we could write actual articles about be it games, movies, art, music, boardgames, etc..., but we'd just be writing for some hypothetical audience who already have sites they go to for that stuff.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #36091 on: June 15, 2017, 11:52:33 AM

And I also enjoy everyone's weird non-gaming hobbies and don't mind updating my own narcissistic art thread because two or three people read it.

I read your art thread because I've been trying to convince myself to get back into art.
And I keep hoping to see you there!
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #36092 on: June 15, 2017, 01:01:00 PM

I remember a couple of years ago when the Corpnews forum had dwindled to about 10 people.
That was 10 years ago... we're pretty fucking old now. I mean I've been forum-ing since 1996 and bbsing before that in the ca. 1989-1990 era. We're dinosaurs. My cousin is 17 years younger than me and young and a SJW who has shown me how the damn kids are doing it these days and... I just don't like 160 characters or less full of "lolz" and no real content (he does enjoy my stories of back in the day). It's great for quick snark and amusing things, but building any kind of community doesn't happen as we know it. I think forums will have their place, but they're a niche field now. The automotive hobby has shown me that the signal to noise ratio of things like Snapchat and Facebook completely suck for getting anything real done. Forums are still where it's at there for the good technical writing and question sessions.

That said, forum attendance ebbs and flows all the time. I think I'm Facebook friends with one person here (hi Rhyssa!) so once this place is over that'll probably be the end for me. Except for the occasional obituary that I find on people I used to game with... I'll say *that* is fucking depressing to see...
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #36093 on: June 15, 2017, 01:50:25 PM

It's 140 characters or less, grandad - coincidentally the same as an episode of The Wire - and I actually find it an interesting exercise in epigrammatism.  I'm sure I'm not alone here in having well over a thousand (I forget how many, exactly) followers to whom I would merrily broadcast new content here, but I suspect that we're into a period of genteel (not genteel) decline.

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #36094 on: June 15, 2017, 02:06:47 PM

The automotive hobby has shown me that the signal to noise ratio of things like Snapchat and Facebook completely suck for getting anything real done. Forums are still where it's at there for the good technical writing and question sessions.

Long-form posting, some semblance of organized thought (and ability to find it again) and threaded conversations are why I'm attracted to Reddit. While I dislike the hivemind nature and popularity contest of Karma it's not bad when you find your niche subs.

I'm a member of several armor build groups on Facebook so I feel what you're saying about the automotive info. Trying to find ANY material there is an exercise in futility to the point I've just started keeping bookmarks of information for myself as soon as I find something.  (But you still have to belong just to see the good info push through your feed) Facebook likes pushing groups as a solution but they're terrible for hobbyists who aren't just social clubs.

Seems that Tumblr or imgur posts would work better at times. But that way lies madness.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #36095 on: June 15, 2017, 07:02:43 PM

I'd probably be foruming on reddit except that everything I read other than F13 is work-related and so I end up on Stack Overflow most of the time.  I'd probably build a presence and be in a community of some sort if I had the spare cycles and inclination.  The most community interaction I have is with the Chef Slack org.

Gaming... unfortunately, this is the place where I can get the most signal to noise.  Even the nerds at work in our Slack #games are slightly more divergent, although surprisingly similar sometimes.  For example, some are trying to organize a MtG group.  Occasionally there is mention of a new board game or someone quips about Overwatch.  Less chatter since IBM dropped its dick on us, though.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #36096 on: June 15, 2017, 07:30:39 PM

Making a nice graphical git repo viewer must be impossible.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #36097 on: June 15, 2017, 07:57:56 PM

Making a nice graphical git repo viewer must be impossible.

Fuckin' tell me about it.

Hardest part of moving from Perforce to Git for my daily work has been the tools being slow and ugly.  One of my ex-Perforce friends has been working on writing a better file history viewer for Git because not having one is just that intolerable and for those of us who have already done this shit once it's really just a matter of taking a month or so to do it over with a slightly different backend.  Hard to find that time when you have a day job doing something else unfortunately.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #36098 on: June 15, 2017, 08:12:37 PM

SmartGit had a proper file history viewer.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #36099 on: June 15, 2017, 10:13:46 PM

This place is probably the only real "social" medium that I use (other than LinkedIn, but that is mostly work related) with any frequency.  I have lots of different hobbies and things I like to obsess about, but most of the time it feels like I am talking to myself when posting.  So most of it stays unwritten.

But while perhaps some of the things I get into might not necessarily interest all of you, I think that the reverse is not necessarily true.  I often enjoy hearing about the different work stories, hobbies and activities some of you get into.  More of that would be nice.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #36100 on: June 15, 2017, 11:10:18 PM

As much as it's become a dwindle, I still find it the single best place for gaming talk, precisely because we do have a variety of often non-intersecting views.

And I also enjoy everyone's weird non-gaming hobbies and don't mind updating my own narcissistic art thread because two or three people read it. I'm also interested in maker space stuff, because I want it to be viable at some point so that we can implement some things here at the library, but so much of it still doesn't pass the bullshit test. We're putting in a new computer lab and I floated the idea and most of what I'm seeing is crap. So I'm putting in some digital creator tools (mostly just photoshop, but hoping to get some zbrush stations as well) and some sewing machines.

But where else you going to go to discuss the merits of xbonex vs ps4pro with the understanding of bias that we have here?

That's basically me. (Replace narcissistic art with narcissistic space).

I also don't play anything at the moment and stopped looking at the game forum totally. Partly due to no good MMOs being around, partly due my gaming urge being in hibernation. But I expect that to change and hope the forum is still around then. Because really, where else should one go for sensible debate?

As much shit the politics forum gets, it's the only one I am aware of that is somewhat decent.  What else is there? (Suggestions are welcome)

Overall F13 dying a slow death is neither a predetermined nor satisfying development.

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
schild
Administrator

Reply #36101 on: June 16, 2017, 07:21:06 AM

I simply don't have the energy to curate new users.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #36102 on: June 16, 2017, 07:55:47 AM

While I agree that it's unfortunate that there's been a slow bleed of users over the years, I'm not sure there's much to be done about it. The user base is aging, and there hasn't really been an impetus fueling an infusion of new users. Gaming has sort of stagnated, and as older users most of us just cannot be bothered with all the new wizbang bullshit that passes for gaming nowadays. The AAA studios are all just iterating on the same shit, as evidenced by the overwhelming presence of sequel after sequel at E3, while indie studios are putting out games of varying quality that largely just don't generate the same volume of discussion as we had around here 10 years ago. And really, for most people here, if they're still gaming it's likely a smaller part of their lives now.

Granted, the nature of the community itself doesn't help much - we've always been something of an insular bunch, a tad aggressive towards outsiders who refuse to comply with the norms around here. And I'm not talking about opinions of games - I'm more talking about posting style. Personally, I remember getting slapped down a bit when I first got here because I wasn't in the habit of capitalizing. And that's OK, because we've all collectively decided that we're all going to (largely) attempt to write in proper-ish grammar, and damn those people who just cannot be bothered if the result is higher quality posts.

I'm actually OK with the lessened focus on gaming - I'll discuss a game if it's something I'm interested in, but more importantly I like that this place is more than just about the newest game. We have people who are, in most cases, intelligent enough to discuss politics, even if my posts there have dropped to almost zero due to the degree of rancor there. We have threads discussing all sorts of random shit that has nothing to do with games. And I think we have that because we've nurtured a community that's about more than just games.

Will this place go on forever? I doubt it. Just like the crew from The Sandlot, people will eventually split off and go their own way, and eventually the community will atrophy until there's just not enough people left to sustain the place. The universe trends towards entropy, and so will this place. And that's OK - enjoy it while it lasts.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #36103 on: June 16, 2017, 08:44:21 AM

SmartGit had a proper file history viewer.

I'll give it a look.  Worst case, I'll have wasted more time and will keep using the CLI.

Today I stumbled over CloudApp which says it has unlimited screenshot hosting.  Anyone tried this for basic image hosting?

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #36104 on: June 16, 2017, 09:43:05 AM

The busiest forum - politics - is hyper-ugly and a facebook-level echo chamber where disagreement is attacked rather than engaged with and - let's be honest - a couple of its most active posters are low-IQ conspiracy theorists from whom it is very difficult to learn and by whom it is unlikely that ones ideas will be challenged.

To be fair, can you point me to any online forum where politics is discussed where that is not the case? Any place at all where politics/theories-of-government is treated as an experimental science and not a belief system?

One of the reasons I drifted here is that at least the politics stays (mostly -- okay sometimes, but more than most others) in the politics sub-forum.

Otherwise, for all the perceived negativity, I find that there are usually a couple of posters in any gaming thread that will actually give a good rundown of good and bad for any game discussed, certainly helping me make better informed buying decisions. And I for one am really interested in all the wacky hobbies, from aquariums to makers to art to stamp collecting (okay maybe not stamp collecting, but someone would be).

I wouldn't mind seeing a whole new subforum devoted to personal non-gaming interests, now that I think about it.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #36105 on: June 16, 2017, 09:58:41 AM

I really liked our most recent frontpage experiment.  But then I was the one writing about half the content so I think I was the only one.   cry
I liked it too, but didn't know how to go about submitting content so I never bothered.

On the general topic of our f13 death spiral, it's sort of unavoidable. Other than Hex which got us some new members from some other forum (Rerolled, maybe?), I can't remember the last big influx of users we've had. Not a lot of devs post here anymore so we don't get starfuckers, and so it goes. I don't really mind; I like knowing a bit about everyone who's posting so I can see how their gaming taste lines up with my own.

Outside here, I'm not active on much. I have a Facebook but that's mostly for keeping in touch with family and posting pictures of the wife and kids. Don't use twitter, instagram, snapchat, etc and I don't even go on 4chan much anymore. I did just sign up for reddit recently, to have somewhere to discuss Dungeons and Dragons (my other big interest next to vidya).
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 10:06:56 AM by Rendakor »

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
schild
Administrator

Reply #36106 on: June 16, 2017, 10:05:41 AM

I liked Noise Grid. I'd prefer a twitter type thing for the frontpage. But eh, I'm not sure any decent engine for such content exists yet. Wordpress was garbage for it.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #36107 on: June 19, 2017, 08:10:28 PM

Fuck. Yeah.

Was bummed I missed the fact that Tool was in Rochester recently, kicking myself. Just found out A Perfect Circle is playing Albany AND Syracuse. Haven't seen them, don't know who's on the tour roster, but they're bucket list material. Planning on going to both shows. Bonus, Sat/Sun back to back!
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #36108 on: June 20, 2017, 02:08:23 AM

Fuck. Yeah.

Was bummed I missed the fact that Tool was in Rochester recently, kicking myself. Just found out A Perfect Circle is playing Albany AND Syracuse. Haven't seen them, don't know who's on the tour roster, but they're bucket list material. Planning on going to both shows. Bonus, Sat/Sun back to back!

Well you should try being in Scotland: Tool's dates are all US.  A Perfect Circle's are all US and Canada.  Puscifer aren't scheduled to tour.  I think 2010 was the last time I saw any of them.

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #36109 on: June 20, 2017, 02:24:46 AM

Just to clarify :  You Should Not Try Being In Scotland.  It Fucking Sucks.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #36110 on: June 20, 2017, 02:26:43 AM

I went there once for the entire month of March.  Had to stand at a 60 degree angle most of the time to account for the wind.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #36111 on: June 20, 2017, 06:38:18 AM

Just to clarify :  You Should Not Try Being In Scotland.  It Fucking Sucks.

I recently discovered (through research, not by paying Ancestry to own my DNA) that I'm way more Scottish than we previously thought. Like well over half. Explains a lot.

I think the last time I saw Tool was 2004? Probably Lateralus, so whenever that was. I've only seen them 3 times, though I did get VIP backstage passes and met Danny and Maynard, so there's that! Meeting Maynard was awesome, because he just came in and set down next to me, the kids in the room didn't recognize him so I just quietly talked with him for a few minutes, then he got up and left. Danny walked through, saw all the kids and kept walking. I quietly got up and went out in the hall and talked with him for a few minutes, got some sticks for my drummer who didn't get passes :) Wicked nice dudes, had time to talk to an intelligent old school fan but tried to avoid the obnoxious kids (literally, they were all clueless teens, I think the Mayor's daughter got a bunch of passes).
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #36112 on: June 20, 2017, 07:34:03 AM

This is not how I wanted to start my work day.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #36113 on: June 20, 2017, 08:57:46 AM

WTF? Did you step on a land mine coming into the office or something?

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #36114 on: June 20, 2017, 09:12:44 AM

If you wear shoes long enough the rubber falls apart.  I had a pair of dress shoes I wore every day for 3 1/2 years that did the same thing. My last 2 pairs of sneakers looked similar after a few years, though that was the grip sole being separate from the base so I lost them.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #36115 on: June 20, 2017, 12:17:24 PM

I went there once for the entire month of March.  Had to stand at a 60 degree angle most of the time to account for the wind.

Come to the East Neuk of Fife where I live: slightly less rainfall than the south-east of England (on a par with western Morocco) and some of the highest levels of sunshine in the UK.  The west coast of Scotland (where I'm from) can in places reach rainforest levels of precipitation (171 inches annually last year on the slopes of Ben Nevis) but the east coast is very different, and the east neuk is the best of that.  We've either eaten dinner in the garden in the sun or stayed outside in the evening for probably 2/3 of the evenings in the last three months, and at the end of March my wife and I were outside (albeit with a chimonea going) until 11pm eating tapas and drinking fino to celebrate my birthday.  Amongst other things I grow almonds, sweetcorn and sweet potatoes in the garden. 

Scotland: http://i.imgur.com/MxVEUaC.png

Also Scotland: http://i.imgur.com/H4cqiPq.png

Also Scotland: http://i.imgur.com/F9q6GOG.png

Disclaimer, also Scotland: http://i.imgur.com/XejEnpV.jpg

Twitter - Endieposts

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #36116 on: June 20, 2017, 12:31:50 PM

Ohhhhh, I see.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
justdave
Terracotta Army

Reply #36117 on: June 20, 2017, 12:52:00 PM

Ohhhhh, I see.

That's the shortest 'Get tae fuck, y'cunt' I've ever seen, I think. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"They started to resist with a crust that was welded with human brain and willpower."
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #36118 on: June 20, 2017, 01:00:37 PM

That soaking daftie lives in the west.

Twitter - Endieposts

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #36119 on: June 20, 2017, 02:14:19 PM

That soaking daftie lives in the west.

This is amusing considering the size of the thing.

Unrelated: I'm not finding any beige refrigerators.  Truly, we are in the Space Age.

Pages: 1 ... 1030 1031 [1032] 1033 1034 ... 1141 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation  
Jump to: