Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:10:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation 0 Members and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 1029 1030 [1031] 1032 1033 ... 1141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless Conversation  (Read 3401512 times)
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #36050 on: June 09, 2017, 01:22:02 PM

You didn't know that?   shocked

It was doing that sarcasm thingy! Didn't know this shot until now though.
  So was young(er) Clint Eastwood, for that matter.

A bit less my type, to be honest. If we are going with the "classics" he is right on top for me:

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #36051 on: June 09, 2017, 01:31:56 PM

WTF just happened here?   swamp poop

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #36052 on: June 09, 2017, 01:46:16 PM

Men got a dose of our own medicine?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #36053 on: June 09, 2017, 07:42:58 PM

Ah yes, Mickey Rourke was fine as well, but I'm not sure I'd call him classic. That would be reserved for the likes of Gene Kelly, for me.

That smile and those eyes...*swoon*

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #36054 on: June 11, 2017, 03:57:21 PM

NBD. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #36055 on: June 11, 2017, 11:51:13 PM

That picture looks like a cannibal staring at his next meal to me.  Eek!

Hic sunt dracones.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #36056 on: June 12, 2017, 12:15:20 AM

That picture looks like a cannibal staring at his next meal to me.  Eek!

No puns. I am staying classy now...*keeps mouth shut*

Anyway, objectively good looking he is, but if I could choose:

me personally, I'd young Jean-Paul Belmondo

(I am probably too old for him. Sad)

Which brings me to a film recommendation:

"Breathless" by Jean-Luc Goddard, the breakthough that made Belmondo a star

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #36057 on: June 12, 2017, 06:13:57 AM

He's got that Rondo Hatten look to him.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #36058 on: June 12, 2017, 06:34:30 AM

I am not sure where to put this, but did anyone know that Marlon Brando was totally hot??

I'm a straight dude and even I knew that.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #36059 on: June 12, 2017, 07:27:07 PM

Just don't let him near you with a stick of butter.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #36060 on: June 13, 2017, 01:23:07 AM

Someone explain the joke to me please... Heartbreak

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #36061 on: June 13, 2017, 01:50:50 AM

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #36062 on: June 13, 2017, 01:54:49 AM

I am not sure where to put this, but did anyone know that Marlon Brando was totally hot??

I mean, god damn...This changes everything.  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

It's pretty famous that Brando was a damn hottie (google him in Streetcar, The Wild One, On the Waterfront, Julius Caesar, Mutiny on the Bounty) pretty much until he showed up for principal photography for Apocalypse Now, when Coppola discovered that he had eaten all the food.  Even at about fifty, the makeup artists had to work hard to make him not look pretty fucking debonair: http://i.imgur.com/LOb6OH3.png

But he took four years off, pretty much, between Godfather/Last Tango and shooting for Apocalypse Now in 76, and when he showed up he had ballooned.

Someone explain the joke to me please... Heartbreak

Infamous use as lubricant in Last Tango with Maria Schneider.

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #36063 on: June 13, 2017, 03:34:02 AM

Mr. Adam West was no slouch either...

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #36064 on: June 13, 2017, 06:47:22 AM

DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #36065 on: June 13, 2017, 12:56:49 PM

Amazon is ending its unlimited Cloud storage if you hadn't already heard.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/06/08/amazon-ends-its-unlimited-cloud-storage-plan/

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #36066 on: June 13, 2017, 12:59:44 PM

lol

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #36067 on: June 13, 2017, 01:15:56 PM

I assume the mirth is related to your work with Microsoft?

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #36068 on: June 13, 2017, 01:25:14 PM

I suppose one could look at it that way, and it's partly that and partly the whole Cloud services shrinkage for 'normal' users.

But it's also because it says Butt.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #36069 on: June 13, 2017, 01:41:21 PM

Well damn, my not having that addin keeps me out of the joke again. That would be pretty lol-worthy.

Cloud services shrinking to the point it becomes worthwhile to just buy bigger HDDs again would be amusing. Especially considering they're only willing to give me free space for info they can mine for facial recognition tests or ad revenue.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #36070 on: June 14, 2017, 12:06:40 PM

OK, Germans. What's the term for; "The person who enters a public restroom, sits in the stall adjacent to yours and proceeds to foul up the place so bad you have to leave and find a different restroom?"

Fucking fiber, people. Eat some.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #36071 on: June 14, 2017, 12:14:13 PM

Well, we call him John.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #36072 on: June 14, 2017, 01:19:18 PM

I'm not willing to leave a stall that I have already paid for.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #36073 on: June 14, 2017, 01:54:06 PM

Vomiting wasn't going to hurt anyone but myself.

calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #36074 on: June 14, 2017, 03:57:39 PM

Another "not sure where to put this"

The forumi is bleeding users.

As much as I like the feeling of exclusivity, there is a trend of staleness.

I am worried about F13.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 04:01:09 PM by calapine »

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #36075 on: June 14, 2017, 04:04:50 PM

Ya, I've noticed its been getting empty of new posts for the last year now. Which considering this is one of the few places I come to inflict my posting on people is a concern.

Hic sunt dracones.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #36076 on: June 14, 2017, 05:52:28 PM

Another "not sure where to put this"

The forumi is bleeding users.

As much as I like the feeling of exclusivity, there is a trend of staleness.

I am worried about F13.

People moving on isn't unusual. The site used to attract new members through articles and interviews about MMO's but that's not really a thing here anymore. Any revitalization would require a new raison d'être for the site and for people to create content for that new direction. Even then I'm not sure what kind of content could be provided here that people couldn't get in a million other places on the Internet. MMO's were a good niche for a while and some people here had contacts within the industry. It would be hard to replicate that with some other subject.
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #36077 on: June 15, 2017, 12:54:46 AM

It was very noticeable, coming back after a break, that I knew virtually every poster in every thread from when I last regularly frequented f13 a couple of years previously.  That was fine by me: I was happy just to re-engage with a bunch of people I already knew very well, but it was clearly unhealthy for the prospects of the place.

Who, new but sane and yet interested in MMOs, will be drawn where the online gaming element that used to be so important is for most of the time just an occasional thread with news of a new or altered game and a bunch of people saying "it'll be shit".  I mean, they're not wrong, but it's still not going to be very sticky.  So that forum is some Clinton-era holdover shit.

The busiest forum - politics - is hyper-ugly and a facebook-level echo chamber where disagreement is attacked rather than engaged with and - let's be honest - a couple of its most active posters are low-IQ conspiracy theorists from whom it is very difficult to learn and by whom it is unlikely that ones ideas will be challenged.  The biggest problem is probably: American politics are sick; most f13 politics forum posters are American; completion of this syllogism is left as an exercise for the reader.

It's not really usefully cynical any more.  It's not even really cynical, even.  Fixing it would require various behaviours to be challenged and that would probably drive away several of the remaining posters which would only accelerate its decline.  Churn is only sustainable when you have a newbie hose.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 01:02:06 AM by Endie »

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
schild
Administrator

Reply #36078 on: June 15, 2017, 04:23:43 AM

As a note, I purposefully turned on admin-required approval for registration and I think like ten people made the cut in the last 2 years. The top box reads: There are 263 members awaiting approval.

262 of those are Russian bots or spam bots (or both).

Guys, girls: we're fucking old. We're on a web forum, which is basically a dead medium. MMOGs haven't produced something worth talking about since like 2008 and games writing, for the most part is stupid. We continue to exist, yet should not, and even with the hyper-partisan bickering, I don't really hate anyone here. Even the worst is more tolerable than 99% of one of my Facebook accounts.

As for being usefully cynical, what's there to be usefully cynical about in gaming? The same people are failing again at making MMOGs that are good games, all the consoles are hurrrr durrrrrr.

As such, I'm not sure what you want. I am, however, 100% sure you don't want to read what I'd want to write about these days.

On a note of American politics, we're not uniquely sick. Outside of maybe France, Germany, and Canada the entire world is pretty abhorrently fucked at the moment.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #36079 on: June 15, 2017, 05:15:10 AM

What he said, with an emphasis on the old part. Some of us have "known" each other 20 years now. That's a long fucking time and longer than most relationships with spouses of the same people.

There's no real common thread that binds other than this place. Each person has their own hobbies outside of this place and few intersect with games anymore. Nobody wants to hear about my maker space stories any more than I want to hear about schild's exploits about being a vaping mogul.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

That's ignoring that when we do touch back to games, rarely do tastes align for the same game types. The "What are you playing" thread is evidence of that.

Then you get into the WHY of the community being small. Sure webforums are a dead medium but there's also the drive for echo chambers that affects everyone online. Even those who say dumb shit like, "No, I don't fall for that." ignore that they aren't exactly jumping into a forum that will tell them they're wrong and have detailed citations as to why. It's easier to ignore being challenged than to seek it out online, and we're all the hero of our own story so why set ourselves up to 'fail.' It's what's driven us to ban people and others to take-off in the last few years.

Being antisocial and 'hating people' as so many were proudly proclaiming 10 years ago affects all this further. Being older affects this even more because when you age you get more set in your ways and thought patterns. It's a very, very rare individual who can change their mode of thinking and opinions after their 30s and, frankly, none of us are that individual. If we were we wouldn't be here we'd be out in the world making use of it. Tough pill, eh?

So yeah, things are going to atrophy here. We're in 'decline' because of a lot of reasons. Mostly because we're human.

schild
Administrator

Reply #36080 on: June 15, 2017, 05:20:25 AM

Nobody wants to hear about my maker space stories any more

Wrong, nerd. Does the maker space you go to give any indication that we're in a place where I could design my own keyboard and it would be of high quality or is 3d printing and such still garbage?
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #36081 on: June 15, 2017, 05:36:02 AM

Private 3d printing is still pretty much garbage. The resolutions are low and you've got a lot of manual labor to put in to make a thing look & feel good. That's always the case with hobbyist stuff though, right?

Professional printers are getting really good, with 16 microns being the smallest I know of. That's less than half a hair's diameter and produces some pretty sweet looking models. No idea what the tactility on them is, though, since I've never held one.  The process is FDM or Polyjet, but I don't have contacts with any of them. I'm more on the hobbyist side.

If you can find a shop in your area with an FDM or Polyjet printer you could stop by and see how it prints. That'll let you know if it's up to your standards. It's still not going to be cheap, though, and you'd probably have better luck finding a guy to do injection moulding for you instead.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #36082 on: June 15, 2017, 07:31:05 AM

As much as it's become a dwindle, I still find it the single best place for gaming talk, precisely because we do have a variety of often non-intersecting views.

And I also enjoy everyone's weird non-gaming hobbies and don't mind updating my own narcissistic art thread because two or three people read it. I'm also interested in maker space stuff, because I want it to be viable at some point so that we can implement some things here at the library, but so much of it still doesn't pass the bullshit test. We're putting in a new computer lab and I floated the idea and most of what I'm seeing is crap. So I'm putting in some digital creator tools (mostly just photoshop, but hoping to get some zbrush stations as well) and some sewing machines.

But where else you going to go to discuss the merits of xbonex vs ps4pro with the understanding of bias that we have here?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #36083 on: June 15, 2017, 07:38:48 AM

Our gaming talk has subsided a lot because games really do SUUUUUUUCCCCKKKK right now. I have a Steam backlog that I've barely touched, mostly because I'm still playing League of Legends and Hex more than anything else. My recent excursion with Spec Ops: The Line showed me that a lot of the single player games that even 5 years ago I've have loved kind of bore me - they don't give me the same rush/challenge that something like a competitive game like LOL does. schild says I have a burning need to play games that will eventually give me a fucking stroke.

All that said, our age is going to affect the dwindle more than anything else, both because we become stubborn fuckers and eventually start dying off or not having time to laze about on a message board. If we were 20 years younger, this would be a WhatsApp thread or a Snapchat whatever Snapchatters do. Message boards, like old gamers, are a dying breed.

Also, MMOG's haven't been relevant to diddly shit since all the WoW-killers failed to even be profitable businesses.

Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #36084 on: June 15, 2017, 08:00:40 AM

Yeah most of my games discussion is done in (f13--descended) Bat Country discord chat and voice comms these days.  I am an old man, however, and prefer the long-form post.

Twitter - Endieposts

Pages: 1 ... 1029 1030 [1031] 1032 1033 ... 1141 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation  
Jump to: